Notices

Weight loss Supplements?

Old 01-22-2011, 05:22 PM
FitDay Member

Default Weight loss Supplements?

Okay I'm not talking about "diet pills" here, and nothing gimmicky or dangerous. But does anyone know of any decent nutritional supplements (ie vitamins) that are known to boost fat metabolism, suppress appetite, and all that jazz? I suppose I could just google it, but there's a LOT of bad info out there. I thought I'd ask here to cut out all the crap advertisements and get input from someone with a little real experience.

I've heard that taking B vitamins, chromium, and a few others that escape me at the moment, can help with energy and fat loss. Any advice on what and what not take?

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:26 AM
FitDay Premium Member

So what is it you're really trying to accomplish?

It seems like you're off to a pretty good start. Are you looking for faster loss?

From my reading, and I'll be the first to admit that I'm not an expert, the only way to REALLY increase your metabolic rate is to increase your muscle mass.

There are some substances, like caffein, that purportedly temporarily increase your calorie burn.

I really don't think there are any substance or compounds that can really make you lose fat more quickly (boy would I like to find one--I'd retire immediatly!). There is a multi-billion dollar industry out there that say there is, but most have all sorts of disclaimers.

That's my .02. If you want to lose faster, reconsider your daily calorie deficeit. If you want to increase your metabolic rate, hit the gym (and yes, I need to take my own advice ).

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-23-2011, 06:30 AM
FitDay Member

Oh I'm totally happy with my weight loss so far. This was mostly for informational purposes. In my previous diet adventures I always start off so well, but somewhere after the first couple of weeks I stall like crazy. Just wondering if there's anything out there that can help give that little extra help.

Thanks for your time.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:38 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by VirusInside
Oh I'm totally happy with my weight loss so far. This was mostly for informational purposes. In my previous diet adventures I always start off so well, but somewhere after the first couple of weeks I stall like crazy. Just wondering if there's anything out there that can help give that little extra help.

Thanks for your time.
You're welcome. Really, there are no shortcuts (and believe me, I've tried!).

Of course you'll slow down--that is to be expected. Your body is getting rid of the excess fluid and so forth. In three or four weeks you should be able to get a good fix on what your weekly loss is going to be.

If you want to speed things up, drink more water (I like ice water--it "costs" your body more caloried to heat it up) and bump up the exercise.

This whole deal really boilds down to calories in being less than calories out. The more the deficiet, on average, the faster the weight loss will occur.

Also keep in mind that as you get lighter, your daily calorie requirment shrinks. My daily calorie burn was over 4K when I started--now I have to exercise to keep it above 3K. And, my losses have slowed, on average, from 5 lbs a week, to 4, to 3 and now to around 2.5 a week. This is to be expected and we just need to accept the fact.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-23-2011, 06:56 AM
FitDay Member

Wise words my friend. I appreciate your help. I've lost another pound as of this morning, so I'm still feeling good.

By the way your progress is incredible! Am I reading that right? From over 400 pounds to just 286 in less than a year? I just hope I can have half the success you've had. Congrats man.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:33 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by VirusInside
Wise words my friend. I appreciate your help. I've lost another pound as of this morning, so I'm still feeling good.

By the way your progress is incredible! Am I reading that right? From over 400 pounds to just 286 in less than a year? I just hope I can have half the success you've had. Congrats man.
Yup, I started back on FitDay around the first week of May last spring. It was June 19th when I was first able to weigh on my 400 lbs capacity scale. From then to Dec. 31 was almost exactly 100 lbs.

My biggest challenge will be maintaining my loss once I get to my "goal". I've lost weigt in the past (almost 200 lbs. in less than a year last time--a 30 day 0 calorie water fast followed by nine months at 1,000 cals a day with NO "cheats") but have never been able to keep it off.

I'm planning on this being my last weight loss journey--I'm just getting too old. Once this journey is over, I'll start my maintainence journey and see how that goes.

Glad you're staying positive. Just trust the math--if you're burning more cals than you're eating, you WILL lose weight. Also, sooner or later you're going to have a plateau where you stop losing for a while--I'm gone a couple weeks sometimes. Perservere and the losses will start again, usually in a big way. After my last two week plateau I had back-to-back 7lbs loss weeks.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-24-2011, 09:30 PM
FitDay Member

I am very fond of sleeping and due to this I am unable to do exercise and yoga. Can I go for yoga and exercise in the evening. Can anyone suggest me about best time to do exercise and yoga?

Last edited by mecompco; 01-27-2011 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Removed links
Old 01-24-2011, 10:45 PM
FitDay Member

I haven't tried every kind of diet pill, but I've tried most of them. As far as I can tell they are a really good way to put your wallet on a diet, but that's about it. I do take a multivitamin that is called "Weight Smart", it's a One-A-Day product. I don't think it really does much for my weight loss, but it does have the right amount of certain vitamins that I tend to be routinely low on. It also seems to keep my immune system boosted, which is important for me as I work with little germ bags, um, I mean children. As far as an appetite suppressant, the best thing I can recommend is to keep your carbs reduced, which will in turn keep you from having a hard carb crash.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:00 PM
FitDay Member

Some thin people think Exercise is not good for them. but it is not true, because it keeps the metabolism high.resistance training is help to increase your muscle mass, which in turn will increase your metabolism.learn to distinguish between weight gaining training and weight loss trainig

Last edited by mecompco; 01-27-2011 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Removed link.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:16 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I have heard a couple of things re: supplementation and weight loss.

Have heard that people who take a multi vitamin have better results and that some people do well taking a low dosage of chromium picolinate. This second item sometimes helps with blood sugar issues.

I take a multi and several other vitamins as per my doctor.

Recently I have found eating a LOT of vegetables (along with incorporating other healthy habits) has helped with weight loss as well as given me more energy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.