FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   Forget the scale...it's about how you feel (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/3078-forget-scale-its-about-how-you-feel.html)

SlenderThistle 01-20-2011 06:50 AM

Forget the scale...it's about how you feel

I don't own a scale, I know about how much weight I want to lose because I do weigh myself but only when I go to my fiance's mother's house, since we don't visit very often because she lives a distance away I don't worry about the number on the scale, but I can tell when I need to be paying closer attention to what I'm eating because my clothes don't fit...if the clothes are getting tighter, they aren't shrinking, I'm getting bigger... that's where I'm at now, my clothes aren't fitting and I'd like to be down a few sizes before I turn 40 in November but I'm NOT going to let the scale control me, I won't let a number rule me and I won't be a slave to media's vision of 'beauty' I am beautiful no matter what, but I can always improve, this is the beginning of my journey and I will enjoy the trip, not allowing the destination to be the only place of peace and happiness.... I am as beautiful now as I will be 50 lbs smaller, I am a vision to behold now and am as beautiful as I feel!!!
Love, peace, happiness and beauty to you all:)

HankG 01-21-2011 05:13 AM

Hats off

Hats off to you! What is the ultimate goal of all of this? To be healthier. Scale weight, body fat percentage and other things can be barometers of these things. However there are plenty of thin people who are in sorry states of health due to abusing their bodies in other ways. We should strive to be healthier over the long haul and not worry about if the scale goes up or down today or tomorrow.

mecompco 01-21-2011 05:20 AM

That's great--good for you!

Perhaps one day I'll be able to forget the scale. For now, though, it is a neccessary tool for my weight control goals.

To paraphrase an old saying, "it is a wise man (or woman) who rules the scale, it is a fool who is ruled by it".

Regards,
Michael

WeightlossBoo 01-21-2011 06:08 AM

amen!

VirusInside 01-21-2011 06:13 AM

Like a lot of folks trying to lose weight I have a love/hate relationship with the scale. It's funny, because when I'm not "dieting" I fear weighing myself SO much. I avoid it like the plague because I just know it'll tell me I've gained another ten pounds. On the other hand, when I'm in weight loss "mode" I can't weigh myself soon enough. I'm constantly getting on the scale to see if I've lost. But then of course if I haven't lost anything I just get frustrated. I find it best to weigh myself once a week at the most. If not every other week.

mecompco 01-21-2011 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by VirusInside (Post 32908)
Like a lot of folks trying to lose weight I have a love/hate relationship with the scale. It's funny, because when I'm not "dieting" I fear weighing myself SO much. I avoid it like the plague because I just know it'll tell me I've gained another ten pounds. On the other hand, when I'm in weight loss "mode" I can't weigh myself soon enough. I'm constantly getting on the scale to see if I've lost. But then of course if I haven't lost anything I just get frustrated. I find it best to weigh myself once a week at the most. If not every other week.

Yup, Mike, I think it's wise to weight once a week at most. I do occasionally weigh sooner if I'm feeling "light" that day. (Am I the only one who sometimes suddenly feels "lighter"? It's like you do a couple toe raises just to test--yup, "lighter") :D

Regards,
Michael

Kathy13118 01-21-2011 09:46 AM

I weigh once a week - at WW - and if I had to pay to just be weighed there, I would pay it gladly, because they calibrate their scales carefully and they are accurate... no matter what anyone may think of the results!

When I go to the doctor and I am weighed at the beginning of the visit, I tell him what my weight is at WW - and he takes that, because it is reliable. Of course, it's only about 1 or 2 pounds off what his scale says, but it's very reliable.