FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   Oh, that scale... (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/2967-oh-scale.html)

taubele 01-12-2011 04:44 AM

Oh, that scale...

I just had a hilarious experience this morning and I thought I would share :)

My apartment is...not level. It has a gentle downwards slope from one end to the other. It's not so much that you notice it walking from one side to the other, but it is enough that light things will sometimes fall over for no reason.

I've learned to jibe with it, as I otherwise love the place.

However, this has made for very fun times with my bathroom scale. I try to keep it FIRMLY in one spot and weigh myself there, but it got moved somehow last night or this morning.

In trying to find the "good" spot again (the spot I used before) I was stepping on the scale randomly.

On Tuesday, it told me that I weighed 211.4 (about 3.5 lbs. lost in 8 days! yay!)

This morning, when I stepped on, it said 202.7. I was like WHAT? lol. It would be wonderful to lose 9 pounds in a day, but I'm sure it didn't happen. In tweaking the scale around the bathroom, my weight went anywhere from 221.5 to 202.7, and I couldn't find the "happy" spot again.

My boyfriend suggested that 202.7 be my new "happy" spot, and I was almost inclined to agree, because the number definitely made me grin. I got it back to where it said I weighed 212.0 and just left it at that. Maybe on low-confidence days I'll shift it back to the "low weight" spot ;) We had a laugh though, for 10 minutes trying to find the happy weight zone. I know my scale might not be completely accurate, but I'd at least like it to be consistent!

Any of you ever have fun with the scale readout? I gotta make sure that thing stays put!

jwonsch 01-12-2011 05:15 AM

My scale dropped more than a normal amount over the weekend and right away I reweighed and was going to go for best two outta three when I decided it wasn't even weigh in day and what was I doing! Just trying to torment myself I guess. No really... I do like to weigh every day just to keep an eye on things but I don't really register it on Fitday but once a week.

almeeker 01-12-2011 05:22 AM

The bathroom floor in this old house is level, Amen. The rest of the house is less so, much less so, stepping on the Wii Fit Plus balance board in the living room is a bit of a crap shoot, as far as accuracy is concerned. I've considered taping a square on the rug where I like it best, but the rug is an area rug, so it moves too. So then I thought maybe I should tape a square for the balance board on the rug, one on the wood floor for the rug itself, and then I'd probably have to tape an outline around the husband after I kill him for laughing at me. Our particular scale calibrates itself, but I do have a bit of fun monkeying around with the adjustment dial on my in-laws scale...

The best suggestion I can make is that you find another location with an accurate scale and weigh yourself there on a regular basis. Our gym has a really nice balance scale that is calibrated daily.

cjohnson728 01-12-2011 05:43 AM

My niece received a "soothing baby scale" at her baby shower. It plays music while you weigh the baby.

I am sure there's a way to parlay this into a comical version that would make weighing ourselves as adults more pleasant, but I've not got the time or the brainpower today to develop an idea...

jwonsch 01-12-2011 06:22 AM

Alot of people where I live go to Publix to weigh. I personally don't want to get on a scale in front of a bunch of fit college students so I'll pass on that weigh in zone. We have a scale in our restroom at work and they just remodeled and we have an extra space with a little bench, a mirror and there is a lock on the door so you can do stretches and stuff everytime you have to go to the restroom during the day. NICE

taubele 01-12-2011 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 31677)
The bathroom floor in this old house is level, Amen. The rest of the house is less so, much less so, stepping on the Wii Fit Plus balance board in the living room is a bit of a crap shoot, as far as accuracy is concerned. I've considered taping a square on the rug where I like it best, but the rug is an area rug, so it moves too. So then I thought maybe I should tape a square for the balance board on the rug, one on the wood floor for the rug itself, and then I'd probably have to tape an outline around the husband after I kill him for laughing at me. Our particular scale calibrates itself, but I do have a bit of fun monkeying around with the adjustment dial on my in-laws scale...

The best suggestion I can make is that you find another location with an accurate scale and weigh yourself there on a regular basis. Our gym has a really nice balance scale that is calibrated daily.

I totally put red tape down in the bathroom >.> I'll never hear the end of it. I'm just starting, so I like to weigh myself just about every day as so far it's been reinforcing :) I told myself that once I hit 200 I'll weigh myself maybe 2-3 times a week. We'll see how I do!

mecompco 01-12-2011 12:10 PM

LOL! That's funny. I, too, have a "sweet spot" that reads a pound or two lighter when I get the scale on it just right. I was thinking about marking the floor with a Sharpie--I still may.

Regards,
Michael

kcolville 01-12-2011 11:52 PM

hahaha- wouldent it be great if we could program our scales to sing songs of our choice pending the weight-

ya know- if i hit my goal weight the theme from rocky could play.

then if i was over my goal weight- baby got back could play.

hahaha

DetroitBreakdown 01-13-2011 12:35 AM

This thread is hilarious. I try to leave my scale in one place in the bathroom that guests usually use, but I have to put it up any time someone comes over. The bathroom has quite a bit of definition between tiles, and if one of the scale feet is on a crack I can get a whacky reading. I'm now ABSOLUTELY convinced that my cat is moving the scale from time to time. She may be using it as a launching pad to the sink.

I used to think she kept me sane. Now, I half think she's messing with me.

mecompco 01-13-2011 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by kcolville (Post 31786)
hahaha- wouldent it be great if we could program our scales to sing songs of our choice pending the weight-

ya know- if i hit my goal weight the theme from rocky could play.

then if i was over my goal weight- baby got back could play.

hahaha

LOL! There's probably "an app for that", though stepping on a smart phone--probably not a great idea.

My WiiFit always lets out a loud sigh when I step on it for my weigh-in. Rude thing also inflates my Mii and exclaims in a lound voice "That's obese!" No crap! :mad:

Regards,
Michael

PS I love playing "Eye of the Tiger" when working out--there is some good music on the Rocky sound tracks!

Kumochi 01-13-2011 12:49 AM

Great Thread. Thanks for my morning laughs. I have little X's on the floor for the top corners of my scales to go on. I did buy a new scales to get rid of the inconsistant readingshowever it is just as bad! My scales will change the reading if I step off and back on -- because I sneezed or something and hope that might be an extra ounce off. I need to learn not to do that as it usually adds 1/2 a pound the second weight in. Mary

mecompco 01-13-2011 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Kumochi (Post 31794)
Great Thread. Thanks for my morning laughs. I have little X's on the floor for the top corners of my scales to go on. I did buy a new scales to get rid of the inconsistant readingshowever it is just as bad! My scales will change the reading if I step off and back on -- because I sneezed or something and hope that might be an extra ounce off. I need to learn not to do that as it usually adds 1/2 a pound the second weight in. Mary

I'm glad my scale only reads in half pound increments--I'd probably go nuts if it did ounces.

I will say that it is very consistant. Once you step on and don't move it, it stays the same--probably just becasue it only reads in half pound increments.

It is a digital 400 lb. limit packing scale that I bought years ago before high capacity bathroom scales were commonly available.

Regards,
Michael

Albie@round 01-13-2011 03:53 AM

Oh that scale! The Lynyrd Skynyrd version...

When I’m not dieting or walking or weighing in, I spend time playing guitar and being a rock star (a legend in my own mind) :) When I read the title of this thread, I couldn’t help myself, so I paraphrased and re-wrote some of the lyrics of That Smell, by Lynyrd Skynyrd.
It’s all in fun and I hope you like it. ;)

To hear the song and read the original lyrics, go here:
YouTube - Lynyrd Skynyrd - That Smell

Bags of cheetos and candy bars, chocolate mousse you’re in my way
Fried chicken thighs and big pizza pies,
Look what’s going on inside you!
Ooh ooh that scale! Can’t escape that scale!
Ooh ooh that scale! The scale of truth confounds you!

The pangs of hunger descend upon you.
Will rocky road cause any harm?
A couple spoonfuls lead to a couple more spoonfuls
Until your will power is long gone!
Ooh ooh that scale! The weight of truth astounds you!

Do you find your weakness alarming
Can’t stay the course with your attitude
You say you’ll start your diet tomorrow
But tomorrow might not be here for you
Ooh ooh that scale! The cold harsh truth confounds you!

One little problem that confronts you
Got some chunky monkey in your fridge
Just a few more chips, might pass my lips
One hell of a price for you to get those hips!

kcolville 01-13-2011 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by albie@round (Post 31824)
when i’m not dieting or walking or weighing in, i spend time playing guitar and being a rock star (a legend in my own mind) :) when i read the title of this thread, i couldn’t help myself, so i paraphrased and re-wrote some of the lyrics of that smell, by lynyrd skynyrd.
It’s all in fun and i hope you like it. ;)

to hear the song and read the original lyrics, go here:
youtube - lynyrd skynyrd - that smell

bags of cheetos and candy bars, chocolate mousse you’re in my way
fried chicken thighs and big pizza pies,
look what’s going on inside you!

The pangs of hunger descend upon you.
Will rocky road cause any harm?
A couple spoonfuls lead to a couple more spoonfuls
until your will power is long gone!
Ooh ooh that scale! The weight of truth astounds you!

Do you find your weakness alarming
can’t stay the course with your attitude
you say you’ll start your diet tomorrow
but tomorrow might not be here for you
ooh ooh that scale! Can’t escape that scale!
Ooh ooh that scale! The cold harsh truth confounds you!

One little problem that confronts you
got some chunky monkey in your fridge
just a few more chips, might pass my lips
one hell of a price for you to get those hips!

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhha, i love it

kcolville 01-13-2011 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by mecompco (Post 31792)
LOL! There's probably "an app for that", though stepping on a smart phone--probably not a great idea.

My WiiFit always lets out a loud sigh when I step on it for my weigh-in. Rude thing also inflates my Mii and exclaims in a lound voice "That's obese!" No crap! :mad:

Regards,
Michael

PS I love playing "Eye of the Tiger" when working out--there is some good music on the Rocky sound tracks!

Wii fit should not be allowed to say "that's obese"- how rude!

cjohnson728 01-13-2011 04:34 AM

Thanks for the chuckle, albie...you are very clever!

almeeker 01-13-2011 05:04 AM

You guys are all totally cracking me up, song lyrics, phone apps, singing scales and the ever insulting Wii Fit balance board. I'm just sitting here thinking how much more I would laugh in a given day if my electronic devices had a sense of humor...

taubele 01-17-2011 06:09 AM

Hahahaha! This thread is hilarious!

I, personally, would like applause. And goodness, it makes me happy I don't have a Wii Fit - talk about a downer right before a workout! And I agree, alm, there should be more sense of humor in electronic apps and the rest of everyday life.

"Eye of the Tiger" would be fantastic to hear. I actually wake up to that song every morning.

almeeker 01-17-2011 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by kcolville (Post 31827)
Wii fit should not be allowed to say "that's obese"- how rude!

It doesn't just say "that's obese", it says "dunk dunk dunk, that's obese". Yes it's rude, but rather motivating in it's own way. I'm not sure how accurate a measure it is for actual obesity. We had a little friend over that is seriously a stick of a kid, you can see almost all her bones, she looks underweight to me. But when she stepped on the Wii Fit and we put in her current height it said she was smack dab in the middle of a healthy weight? I'm not a good judge of these things, but even her pediatrician wants her to pack on a few pounds.

I think on the days when I weigh up a little my scale should say to me "Oh Honey, what did you eat?". And then it should remind me that I gave all my fat pants to Goodwill and if I get any bigger I'll have to go naked, and it's January - in Michigan.

Albie@round 01-18-2011 05:27 AM

Attention all Michiganders and Michigeese!

Almeeker wrote...."I think on the days when I weigh up a little my scale should say to me "Oh Honey, what did you eat?". And then it should remind me that I gave all my fat pants to Goodwill and if I get any bigger I'll have to go naked, and it's January - in Michigan."

I just wanted to say that I live out here in the flatlands North of the Windy and just spittin' distance South of the Cheddar Curtain and I don't know a lot but our first two chilluns spent their freshman year at college at The University of the Tundra, yep, UNM, up in gorgeous Marquette, Michigan on the tropical southern shoreline of Lake Superior, in the beautiful U.P.

Sooooo...I thought I'd share this with you in an email or IM but didn't know how so here goes...Hope you enjoy all the comparisons--------

Michigan vs. Other Places ---Temperature Conversion Chart

@ +70 degrees---Texans turn on the heat and unpack the thermal underwear.
People in Michigan go swimming in the rivers.

@ +60 degrees---North Carolinians try to turn on the heat.
People in Michigan plant gardens.

@ +50 degrees---Californians shiver uncontrollably.
People in Michigan sunbathe.

@ +40 degrees---Italian & English cars won't start.
People in Michigan drive with the windows down.

@ +32 degrees---Distilled water freezes.
Lake Erie water gets thicker.

@ +20 degrees---Floridians put on coats, thermal underwear, gloves and woolly hats.
People in Michigan throw on a flannel shirt.

@ +15 degrees---Philadelphia landlords finally turn up the heat.
People in Michigan have the last cookout before it gets cold.

@ +10 degrees---People in Miami all freeze and stiffen. Rigor mortis.
Michiganders lick the flagpole.

@ 0 degrees---Californians fly away to Mexico .
People in Michigan get out their winter coats.

@ -10 degrees---Hollywood disintegrates.
The Girl Scouts in Michigan are selling cookies door to door.

@ -25 degrees---Polar bears begin to evacuate the Arctic .
Michigan Boy Scouts postpone "Winter Survival" classes until it gets cold enough.

@ -30 degrees---Mount St. Helen's freezes.
People in Michigan rent some videos.

@ -40 degrees---Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
Michiganders get frustrated because they can't thaw the keg.

@ -45 degrees---Microbial life no longer survives on dairy products.
Cows in Michigan complain about farmers with cold hands.

@ -60 degrees---ALL atomic motion stops (absolute zero in the Kelvin scale).
People in Michigan start saying, "Cold 'nuff for ya?"

@ -100 degrees---Hell freezes over.
The Lions win the Super Bowl!

Keep up the good work! Keep on smiling and helping each other!---Albie
Weather humor from our log cabin in Michigan - The Log Home Neighborhood

Kumochi 01-18-2011 05:36 AM

LOL from a Canadian who can relate!

mecompco 01-18-2011 07:39 AM

Yup, it gets chilly here in Maine sometimes. It hasn't been too bad yet this winter--this morning I think has been about the coldest so far--around 4 below at my house--colder up North.

The worst I've seen it is -30 with no wind chill. When you step outside and your nostrils instantly freeze together and you can hear the trees around you cracking from the sap freezing, it's cold. Don't even get me started about having to go to the outhouse at camp (up by the Canadian border in Houlton) when it's -30!

Regards,
Michael

juliesaid2728 01-18-2011 08:11 AM

Canadian girl here :) It's been about -20 ... and then about -30 with the windchill the past week! It's going to get "warmer" this week hahahah about -15ish...
It's so cold.. feels like my nose hairs are all frozen and gonna fall off!!

almeeker 01-18-2011 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Albie@round (Post 32435)
Almeeker wrote...."I think on the days when I weigh up a little my scale should say to me "Oh Honey, what did you eat?". And then it should remind me that I gave all my fat pants to Goodwill and if I get any bigger I'll have to go naked, and it's January - in Michigan."

I just wanted to say that I live out here in the flatlands North of the Windy and just spittin' distance South of the Cheddar Curtain and I don't know a lot but our first two chilluns spent their freshman year at college at The University of the Tundra, yep, UNM, up in gorgeous Marquette, Michigan on the tropical southern shoreline of Lake Superior, in the beautiful U.P.

Sooooo...I thought I'd share this with you in an email or IM but didn't know how so here goes...Hope you enjoy all the comparisons--------

Michigan vs. Other Places ---Temperature Conversion Chart

@ +70 degrees---Texans turn on the heat and unpack the thermal underwear.
People in Michigan go swimming in the rivers.

@ +60 degrees---North Carolinians try to turn on the heat.
People in Michigan plant gardens.

@ +50 degrees---Californians shiver uncontrollably.
People in Michigan sunbathe.

@ +40 degrees---Italian & English cars won't start.
People in Michigan drive with the windows down.

@ +32 degrees---Distilled water freezes.
Lake Erie water gets thicker.

@ +20 degrees---Floridians put on coats, thermal underwear, gloves and woolly hats.
People in Michigan throw on a flannel shirt.

@ +15 degrees---Philadelphia landlords finally turn up the heat.
People in Michigan have the last cookout before it gets cold.

@ +10 degrees---People in Miami all freeze and stiffen. Rigor mortis.
Michiganders lick the flagpole.

@ 0 degrees---Californians fly away to Mexico .
People in Michigan get out their winter coats.

@ -10 degrees---Hollywood disintegrates.
The Girl Scouts in Michigan are selling cookies door to door.

@ -25 degrees---Polar bears begin to evacuate the Arctic .
Michigan Boy Scouts postpone "Winter Survival" classes until it gets cold enough.

@ -30 degrees---Mount St. Helen's freezes.
People in Michigan rent some videos.

@ -40 degrees---Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
Michiganders get frustrated because they can't thaw the keg.

@ -45 degrees---Microbial life no longer survives on dairy products.
Cows in Michigan complain about farmers with cold hands.

@ -60 degrees---ALL atomic motion stops (absolute zero in the Kelvin scale).
People in Michigan start saying, "Cold 'nuff for ya?"

@ -100 degrees---Hell freezes over.
The Lions win the Super Bowl!

Keep up the good work! Keep on smiling and helping each other!---Albie
Weather humor from our log cabin in Michigan - The Log Home Neighborhood

ROFLMAO!!! I am actually cackling over this one so hard that my kids are getting that "look" going between them, the one that says "who's gonna be the one to take mom to the home?".

RunbikeSki 01-18-2011 01:35 PM

Albie, you are too much!

And you nailed the SoCal. Actually at 40 degrees men no longer go outside because it is too cold for shorts and they can't remember where they put their last pair of long pants. And women won't go out because the only shoes they own are flip-flops.

You got your bedroom/slipper flip-flops, your pool flip-flops, your just running to store flip-flops, your business casual flip-flops, and your formal flip-flops. Teva and other companies have even introduces your running flip-flops, and your hiking flip-flops.

And how did this morph from "oh that scale" to "oh that thermometer"? Who cares!

Kumochi 01-19-2011 04:33 AM

At least we in the frozen North burn more calories trying to saty warm!

travbrad 01-19-2011 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 32461)
ROFLMAO!!!

:D:D

I'm from Minnesota, so this list rang very true. :)

Albie@round 01-22-2011 04:13 AM

RE: Albie, you are too much!

Thanks for all the great participation, everyone! I'm just trying to lend my two cents to the collective effort and I know that smiles, grins and laughter burn calories! Scientists Think Laughing Helps Shed Pounds

I think all of us should take a personal moment and smile and feel good about being part of this very supportive community!

My best to all of FitDay Nation! :)