Notices

To Snack or Not to Snack?

Old 01-08-2011, 02:47 PM
FitDay Member

I eat breakfast so I don't starve before lunch, then I have a mid-morning snack 100-150 calories, then I have a Lean Cuisine entree lunch with fresh fruit and/or veggies as a side (always a variety so it's not the same ol, same ol), then a late afternoon snack 100-150 calories, then for supper I try to cook healthy, if not I half my proportions and watch my carbs.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:11 PM
FitDay Member

RunBikeSki, thanks for pointing that out. Yes, most of the time I'm able to stop at 1 or 2 because that's the company's cookies haha! Can't eat them all or else my co workers are gonna shoot daggers at me!

I agree it does even out my blood sugar level and I don't feel out of energy after consuming cookies rather than having some carrots on hand to bite. When I mean healthy, probably they fall into the veggies, low fat category as compared to cookies, which are high fat and not much nutritional value.

I have a friend who lost 100lbs just by cutting down his portion by 1/3 of what he usually eats. Of course, light exercises like doing some sit-ups, push-ups and weights etc. I believe a lot in cutting down portions because, imagine we cut down half of what we usually eat but still eating what you like, you are cutting half the calories you consumed and naturally you will start losing weight.

Losing weight, to me is still enjoying what you eat and what you do. If you deprive yourself too much, you feel difficult to keep up. Like many over here say, it's a lifestyle change. Don't go obsessed with the healthy choices. Have a balance and I'm sure everyone will succeed
Old 01-13-2011, 01:50 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Contrats Shermaine, on your 10lbs anniversary!

You must be doing something right!

Pam
Old 01-13-2011, 02:18 AM
FitDay Member

Default we got some smart people here

I love that everyone seems to really realize that every BODY is different along with every MIND. We have to find what works for our own selves and know our limits and temptations. I know that I MUST be active to lose weight and even though I don't devote long periods to excersise YET. The little workout breaks throughout the day help alot. It makes me feel successful and focused. As far as eating ...it's breakfast between 6am-6:30 around 300 cal. mid morning snack around 9am-10am little cup of peaches or quaker flavored mini rice cakes ( caramel is my fav), lunch at 12-12:30 around 500 cal, afternoon snack around 2:30-3pm, supper between 6-7pm evening snack of no sugar added fudgepop (I can even eat 2) or no sugar added popsicles around 8-9. This keeps me satisfied so I will stick with it till it doesn't work. I like they way you think Asianlady. If I deprive myself I'll never succeed. I want something I can LIVE with.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:52 AM
FitDay Member

I also snack when I feel that if I don't I will break my diet. I keep 100-cal non-healthy snacks around (pre-packaged though, so you can't go over) and usually have 3 a day with a very light lunch (a shake) and a 500-600 cal dinner.
I really really love this chocolate snack, I can't believe it's 100-cal... They are called "Hostess 100 Calorie Packs Cake Chocolate with Creamy Filling", I get them at Stop and Shop.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:47 AM
FitDay Member

hi all, i think keto diets are great in the aspect that if u eat every 2.5-3 hrs u dont get hungry and therefore will not snack.
i ate 6 meals a day consisting of 50gms protein and 15-20 gms fat and zero carbs and i have to say it was an odd feeling never having hunger pains watsoever for 4 mths while cutting.
i would do that for 5 weekdays and then on weekends i would eat lots of carbs and lower the pro and fats, and i would eat up to 3-4 junk/cheat meals over the weekend too, maccas,kfc,pizza etc. and still lose 0.5kg a week and maintain muscle mass.
results would be greatly improved if cut out cheat meals to 1 and eat all low gi carbs. just my 2 cents worth from recent experience.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:32 AM
FitDay Member

I think I went overboard on not depriving myself too much...lol. I gained 3lbs I may have snacked too much and drank lesser water this week. Shall go back to what works..

Also, I think it's time to step up on my exercise routine. I have been slacking these days. I probably will be giving burst training a go again.

A little info about burst training:

Burst Training for Weight Loss

It's awesome for people with busy schedules and in fact more effective than regular exercise.

Hope this helps
Old 01-16-2011, 04:17 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Not a grazer?

I think a lot depends on if you are a natural grazer or not. I naturally want to eat and drink continuously. I am always sipping on something or chewing on something. Dispersing meals throughout the day helps with that somewhat. However I often stick to three standard meals and then carefully graze three more through the day. So, for example, I may have a health bar an hour after lunch, carrots an hour after that, et cetera.

If you are naturally a person that can go hours without eating or even thinking of eating food even if you see it, then the distributed meal approach may not work as well for you.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:20 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Yup this is great group of people

I agree with Janice,
This is such an awesome group of people with an amazing collection of knowledge and life experiences. Every once in a while I run across a post that seems a little dogmatic - but even that just widens the diversity.

So Hank, how does your grazing work? Do you plan your daily selection or just keep a limited selection of foods available?

I think one of the reasons why I have a hard time with it is that I am a pretty avid foodie and can't really give up the double creme brie, homemade bagettes, or wine country pot roasts. I just limit portions and (luckily) don't have much of a sweet tooth. Since those kind of foods are usually around it is easier for me to say no to between meal snacks, knowing that I will have a pretty complete meal in a few hours.

Shermaine, I am sure you will be back on track shortly. That exercise program you recommended sounds intriguing.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:12 PM
FitDay Member

Asianlady...thanks for the link for burst training. I was typically doing much longer cardio/fat burning workouts on the treadmill or elliptical or bike, and someone here, I think maybe Tandoori Chicken, recommended a way to modify my routine. I've been doing two bust-like sets separated by a very moderate ten minutes in between. So I'm doing 3 sets per ten minutes because I go full out for one minute and need a full two minutes to recover on the first two sets and an extra thirty to sixty seconds to recover for the last. While I can't run anywhere near 10.6 mph, i do go full out and pump the incline way up to the point that I'm almost falling off by the end of my work set. I find this really fun and short to boot.

I was glad to see the video on the link, because I didn't get the whole thing about taking the day off in between. Also, I've tended to do my resistance training after my burst training, but may try reversing it to see if it feels any different.

Thanks again for the link.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.