Notices

Don't be a Yo Yo Like Me

Old 01-03-2011, 03:08 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Don't be a Yo Yo Like Me

Really, get this done once and stick with it. Let my sad story be a lesson and make better choices than I did.

Here's a peek at my FitDay weight history:

Join FitDay:

10/22/01 350 lbs. (was probably pretty close to 400 before 30 day fast and 1000 cal diet but this was my first FitDay entry)

09/15/02 184 lbs. (lowest weight since I lost weight in my teens--this is lighter than I was in elementary school).

09/19/03 205 lbs. Hey, not too bad for a year later!

03/18/04 223 lbs. Six months later.

01/07/05 255 lbs. Trouble brewing.

11/15/05 280 lbs. Uh oh!

07/19/06 299 lbs. Dammit!

05/07/10 400+ lbs. Here we go again--sigh!

01/02/10 297 lbs. Oooh--it's Deja Vu all over again.

Of course, there were some ups and downs (mostly ups) mixed in there--it's just that I didn't log them in FitDay.

What can I say? It's pretty obvious I know how to lose weight and how to gain it. I'm hoping "this time" will be the last as I intend to log my food/weight forever.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-03-2011, 03:16 AM
FitDay Member

How did you loose the weight before? are you using the same style this time around?

i believe in you..
Old 01-03-2011, 03:31 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by kcolville
How did you loose the weight before? are you using the same style this time around?

i believe in you..
Thank you.

Well, I was really obsessed with quick weight loss before. Perhaps this is what led to my downfall--I never really addressed the underlying issue(s) and had some major body-image weirdess.

I did a 30 day water fast, followed by a couple of weeks building up to 1000 cals a day, which I did until pretty much the end. I drank gallons (literally) of ice water daily and was exercising twice a day. I stayed under 10 grams of fat total and disregarded carbs and protein.

As you can see, weight peeled off pretty quickly--I was doing 5, 10 pounds a week in some times.

Now, I am older and hopefully a bit wiser. I am not obsessed--I mean I ate PERFECTLY during that old time--never over 1000 cals, ever.

Now, I realize life does not work that way. I do my best to stay between 1500 and 1600 cals but if on the odd day it's over, that's OK. I realize in the past I engaged in "all or nothing" thinking and that is a very bad trap to fall into.

I shoot for a 40/30/30 carb/fat/protein mix on average but don't worry if it's occasionally off. I drink more or less 80 to 100 ounces of water, plus black coffee a day.

I stay away from processed food as much as possible, as well as avoiding sugar and simple carbs. I don't do sweets at all.

I do my 1.25 mile walk at lunch time.

This seems to work pretty well--I am losing at a reasonable rate, feel great and have plenty of energy.

Oh, and I log everything that goes into my mouth--the bad as well as the good. Keeping track helps keep me honest.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-03-2011, 04:23 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mecompco
Thank you.

Well, I was really obsessed with quick weight loss before. Perhaps this is what led to my downfall--I never really addressed the underlying issue(s) and had some major body-image weirdess.
I did a 30 day water fast, followed by a couple of weeks building up to 1000 cals a day, which I did until pretty much the end. I drank gallons (literally) of ice water daily and was exercising twice a day. I stayed under 10 grams of fat total and disregarded carbs and protein.

As you can see, weight peeled off pretty quickly--I was doing 5, 10 pounds a week in some times.

Now, I am older and hopefully a bit wiser. I am not obsessed--I mean I ate PERFECTLY during that old time--never over 1000 cals, ever.

Now, I realize life does not work that way. I do my best to stay between 1500 and 1600 cals but if on the odd day it's over, that's OK. I realize in the past I engaged in "all or nothing" thinking and that is a very bad trap to fall into.

I shoot for a 40/30/30 carb/fat/protein mix on average but don't worry if it's occasionally off. I drink more or less 80 to 100 ounces of water, plus black coffee a day.

I stay away from processed food as much as possible, as well as avoiding sugar and simple carbs. I don't do sweets at all.

I do my 1.25 mile walk at lunch time.

This seems to work pretty well--I am losing at a reasonable rate, feel great and have plenty of energy.

Oh, and I log everything that goes into my mouth--the bad as well as the good. Keeping track helps keep me honest.

Regards,
Michael
Hi Michael,

I hope you don't mind me unloading my soul in your thread, but your words hit a chord.

Body image weirdness

Once, I was under 200 and the neighbour's husband made a comment about how good I was looking. It got back to me and I put it all back on.

The last time, I got it in my head that if I lost all the weight, my husband would still reject me, so why bother. Before that, my highest weight was 250.

Now I realize that my marriage was just making a transition without the proper communication and my neighbour needs glasses to see. If he happens to say anything, I will just ask his wife to smack him upside the head.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:31 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by rainbow24
Hi Michael,

I hope you don't mind me unloading my soul in your thread, but your words hit a chord.

Body image weirdness

Once, I was under 200 and the neighbour's husband made a comment about how good I was looking. It got back to me and I put it all back on.

The last time, I got it in my head that if I lost all the weight, my husband would still reject me, so why bother. Before that, my highest weight was 250.

Now I realize that my marriage was just making a transition without the proper communication and my neighbour needs glasses to see. If he happens to say anything, I will just ask his wife to smack him upside the head.
Annette, I hear you. I did the same thing during one of my "mini" weightloss episodes--lost, oh 70 lbs or so (another stupid fast), then someone said "hey, you're looking good, are you losing weight?" and that was pretty much the end of it. Stupid, stupid, stupid to let what others think or say control us.

This time around, I accept compliments graciously. When asked what diet I'm on, I say "none--it's a lifestyle change--I eat less and move more--that's it).

Anyway, I'm glad you're here and if there's anything I can do to help, just shout!

Regards,
Michael

PS There are some real metal issues with fast weight loss. I'd literally not recognize myself in mirrors or passing by a glass store front. I'm hoping not to have this issue again by losing at a little saner pace. I do, though, enjoy looking at myself in mirrors now, as narcisistic as that sounds. Perhaps one of our psychologist friends will chime in on that one?
Old 01-03-2011, 05:21 AM
FitDay Member

There are psycologists here!

Actually, I am pretty much in tune with my emotional issues. Unfortunately I have chosen to ignore them rather than face them.
I am about to share my biggest issue, here and now. I don't share with people because they don't get the idea of hiding behind weight.

As early as age 12, I was already slightly overweight, but pleasantly so. I got comments from at least two different adult men on how I was going to be when I grew up. I had no interest in being a playboy bunny.

By age 14 I left the optomotrist office in tears because I had perfect vision and would not need glasses. Weekends were my least favorite time. I remember one particular weekend where my mom set me up with a date, my so called best friend set me up for a date on the same night and a guy from school just showed up. I was never so happy for having a back door.

I ran away at 16 to marry an older man.

So now I was married, over 200 lbs and gave birth to five children. Guys were still hitting on me. I had trouble making friends with women because they saw me as a threat to their marriage.

The truth of the matter was that I made a mess of my own marriage because I did not like or trust men, including my husband.

Finally around 1999, I was given the final insight into my issues. That does not mean that they magically repair themselves and they won't now either.

For the time being, I am losing weight strictly to go to summer camp as a physically functioning leader. When I get there, I will find the next reason. Maybe it will be so that I can look good on the inner flap of the novel I am going to write.
I refuse to set a final goal other than 200, which is a size 14/16 for me.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:07 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Annette, I totally understand about using weight as a shield. People don't see the "real" you--just the weight. Being very overweight can get you out of a lot of things.

It's kinda funny--the last time I lost "all that weight", even my wife had trouble recognizing me if she was looking for me in a store for instance. People just see the big (in my case, very big) person.

It can be hard to adjust to, after weight loss. It must be like those poor folks who get face transplants. You KNOW it's you, and you feel like you, but you don't LOOK like you. That can really screw with your mind!

And how people look at you and treat you--really amazing. Fat or "normal", we are the same people inside. I always have to stop and think when I meet someone I haven't seen for a long time--was the last time I saw them when I was big or small?

Anyway, I'm rambling. Thanks again for sharing--I think you're right to focus on one thing now, then move on to dealing with the other issues. It's going to be a great summer--I bet you'll get a workout at camp!

Regards,
Michael