FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   April Fool's Day 10% Body Weight Loss Challenge (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/2696-april-fools-day-10%25-body-weight-loss-challenge.html)

mecompco 12-18-2010 12:46 AM

April Fool's Day 10% Body Weight Loss Challenge

By popular demand (well, not really but it sounds good) I throw down the gauntlet to my fellow "FitDay Losers" (perhaps I should rethink that name) to lose 10% of our body weight by April 1st.

I like to weigh in on Saturday mornings, but to each his or her own.

I'll start:

12/18/10 300 lbs. so I need to lose 30 pounds to meet the challenge so my goal for 04/01/11 is 270 lbs.

Who's in?

Regards,
Michael

mtlgirl 12-18-2010 02:43 AM

I'm in! I now weigh 178 again. I have been at - or around - this weight for 2 months now because of 2 different trips, one business, one personal. It's time to break through this barrier! I will have to lose 17.8 pounds by April 1st but I think I'll round it up to 18 so I'll be at a nice even 160!

Thanks for throwing down the gauntlet, Michael! This is a challenging time to do it, what with the holidays and I will be spending a week in New York this season so I have got my work cut out for me! Best of luck to both of us! :)

mecompco 12-18-2010 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by mtlgirl (Post 28850)
I'm in! I now weigh 178 again. I have been at - or around - this weight for 2 months now because of 2 different trips, one business, one personal. It's time to break through this barrier! I will have to lose 17.8 pounds by April 1st but I think I'll round it up to 18 so I'll be at a nice even 160!

Thanks for throwing down the gauntlet, Michael! This is a challenging time to do it, what with the holidays and I will be spending a week in New York this season so I have got my work cut out for me! Best of luck to both of us! :)

Rose, glad to have you on board. I met my 10% Thanksgiving goal, and today my 10% New Years goal, so I decided to start the April 10% goal a bit early. Perhaps it will help us all keep more-or-less on plan throughout the holidays.

We CAN DO IT!!!!

Regards,
Michael

AlexBarkerFitDay 12-18-2010 04:42 AM

I'm In!

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, count me in! I really need some support. I feel like nobody around me cares enough about my needs and desires to lose weight and become a fit, healthy young adult.

Starting Weight: 199.6 pounds

(I weigh in on Thursdays at 8am)

I'll just round up and say my goal is 20 pounds.

Goal for April 1st: 179.6

spence11 12-18-2010 05:33 AM

So in!

I, too, weigh in on Saturday mornings! Today's weight: 187. I have 19 pounds to lose by April 1st! Thanks for the inspiration!

DetroitBreakdown 12-18-2010 06:03 AM

Count this scale-buster in! I could use the challenge. If I'm successful it should set me up well for my 5/1 mini goal to be under 300lbs. You're a great inspiration Michael, and I intend to follow in your ever-less-deep footsteps.

I mentioned in the 100+ thread that I'll be away for the holidays, so will be weighing in on Christmas eve and will return to weigh in on New Year's day.

Good luck and good health everyone!

Matt

gmantych 12-18-2010 09:17 AM

I would love to join this challenge!! I am currently 207.6 so I will have to loose 20.76 to meet my goal. I will round it to 21. If I make my goal I will be 186.6. This is a great challenge!

mecompco 12-18-2010 10:01 AM

Matt, Glenda, Spence, Alex, welcome one and all! I'm glad you have accepted this challange.

Just think how much better we'll all look and feel 10% smaller, and just in time for spring.

I'm already planning on getting my bike out of mothballs, some hiking trips, Geocaching, all kinds of out doors activities that I've been too darned fat to do.

Regards,
Michael

alanah89 12-18-2010 09:08 PM

I'm also in a have a minimum of 14.6 lbs but am going to round it up to 15 lbs to lose good luck everyone! :)

mecompco 12-19-2010 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by alanah89 (Post 28926)
I'm also in a have a minimum of 14.6 lbs but am going to round it up to 15 lbs to lose good luck everyone! :)

Welcome and glad to have you aboard the "Loser" train :D

Regards,
Michael

nottango 12-19-2010 01:12 AM

Michael, you're really inspiring! I was planning to "try" to do this on my own, but realized I'd be better about holding myself accountable if I put myself out there for all of fitday to see. 10% for me would be 13 pounds - sounds easy, right? Well I've been stuck recently (Christmas cookies may have something to do with it). 13 pounds will put me at my "ideal" weight.
starting weight 134.7# 12/19
goal 122# by April Fool's.

mecompco 12-19-2010 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by nottango (Post 28930)
Michael, you're really inspiring! I was planning to "try" to do this on my own, but realized I'd be better about holding myself accountable if I put myself out there for all of fitday to see. 10% for me would be 13 pounds - sounds easy, right? Well I've been stuck recently (Christmas cookies may have something to do with it). 13 pounds will put me at my "ideal" weight.
starting weight 135.1# 12/19
goal 122# by April Fool's.

Welcome! How exciting to be that close to your "ideal" weight. A pound a week seems like a reasonable goal. Watch out for those baked goods--I've sworn off them entirely. And remember the words of Master Yoda, "Do or do not. There is no try". :D

Regards,
Michael

AlexBarkerFitDay 12-19-2010 11:40 AM

This summer MUST be the summer I can go to the beach and not be self-conscious about my body. 6 PACK ABS!!! LETS GO!!!

mecompco 12-19-2010 01:51 PM

Alex, that's great--nobody's gonna kick sand in your face at the beach THIS summer! :D

And I hope the 6 pack works out--I have 12 pack abs, personally :eek:

Keep us posted as to your progress.

Regards,
Michael

AlexBarkerFitDay 12-21-2010 01:09 AM

I'm surprised more people aren't jumping aboard for this goal!

mecompco 12-21-2010 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by AlexBarkerFitDay (Post 29129)
I'm surprised more people aren't jumping aboard for this goal!

'Tis the season, I think, Alex. Just wait 'till after 01/01 and I wager we'll see more folks getting on the wagon. :D

Regards,
Michael

AlexBarkerFitDay 12-21-2010 01:28 AM

LOL New Year's Resolutions are so overrated...

We're going to have to get some more people to take on the challenge and we're going to work hard to keep them motivated. I suppose helping others through the journey helps us stay on track.

kcolville 12-22-2010 04:04 AM

I am in! My name is Kaitlin and i am 6"1.5 and currently weigh 197- so my goal is to get to 180. :) i workout about 3-4 times a week but have not lost any weight. However i just ordered a little "fitbook" off of amazon.com which i can track all of my food intake in...which will help a bunch. I know i can log into on here but it is easier for me to just jot it down...

I have been checking in under the "exercise" forum with the wednesday club but feel like i need some extra support...

I have been struggling to loose any weight for about 2 months now going on three. I blasted through summer dropping almost 20 pounds but holidays, snow, and holiday food has kept me just maintaining. i am tired of being 197- ready to see the scale go down.

I will check in on mondays as well....can't wait.

kcolville 12-22-2010 04:13 AM

Alex- a cruise shouldent be an obstacle! they give you so mnay options (which could be a downfall) but lots of healthy stuff too!!

mecompco 12-22-2010 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by kcolville (Post 29236)
I am in! My name is Kaitlin and i am 6"1.5 and currently weigh 197- so my goal is to get to 180. :) i workout about 3-4 times a week but have not lost any weight. However i just ordered a little "fitbook" off of amazon.com which i can track all of my food intake in...which will help a bunch. I know i can log into on here but it is easier for me to just jot it down...

I have been checking in under the "exercise" forum with the wednesday club but feel like i need some extra support...

I have been struggling to loose any weight for about 2 months now going on three. I blasted through summer dropping almost 20 pounds but holidays, snow, and holiday food has kept me just maintaining. i am tired of being 197- ready to see the scale go down.

I will check in on mondays as well....can't wait.

Kaitlin, glad to have you! 1.5 lbs a week should be doable if you work at it. Have you figured out a calorie level yet? It sounds like you had great success this summer so you know what you need to do.

Regards,
Michael

kcolville 12-22-2010 05:19 AM

Michael,

My calorie intake this sumer was no more than 1300..which seems like nothing! but if i portion it works out..

. 1.5 a week is a bit over the normal range i think but i will work hard at it..

mecompco 12-22-2010 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by kcolville (Post 29241)
Michael,

My calorie intake this sumer was no more than 1300..which seems like nothing! but if i portion it works out..

. 1.5 a week is a bit over the normal range i think but i will work hard at it..

1300 isn't bad, if you make good food choices. Have you figured your calorie deficeit to see if the math works out? You'll need about a 5250 calorie deficeit per week at that rate so as long as you're burning at least 2050 cals a day you'll be good to go.

Regards,
Michael

kcolville 12-22-2010 05:37 AM

no i havent mike- i dont understand that graph, help?

kcolville 12-22-2010 05:55 AM

Time Span: 14 week(s) 2 day(s)
Pounds to Lose: 17
Pounds per Week: 1.19
Pounds per Day: 0.17
Cal. Restriction per Day: 595

that is what is says..but ..what does it mean?

idk how many calories i was eating...so how do i restrict 595?

mecompco 12-22-2010 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by kcolville (Post 29251)
Time Span: 14 week(s) 2 day(s)
Pounds to Lose: 17
Pounds per Week: 1.19
Pounds per Day: 0.17
Cal. Restriction per Day: 595

that is what is says..but ..what does it mean?

idk how many calories i was eating...so how do i restrict 595?

It should tell you how many cals you burn per day, based upon your H/W/Age and "Lifestyle". Then add in your activities (exercise, for instance) and you will get your total calories burned per day (approximately).

Mine, for instace is around 3100 according to FitDay--a bit less using other calculators but given my historical data it seems about right. So, if I burn 3100 cals a day and want to lose 4 pounds a week (a pound of fat being roughly 3500 cals), I need a daily calorie restriction of 2000. So, 3100 - 2000 = 1100 calories I can eat a day.

Now, as you lose weight, your basal metabolism decreases. As you gain muscle mass, it increases. So it's not set in stone and you may need to make adjustments along the way.

Make sense?

Regards,
Michael

AlexBarkerFitDay 12-22-2010 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by kcolville (Post 29237)
Alex- a cruise shouldent be an obstacle! they give you so mnay options (which could be a downfall) but lots of healthy stuff too!!

haha yea I know it shouldn't be an obstacle but there's probably going to be a lot of food I want to try. The hotel we booked for the day before the cruise leaves has a fitness center and a huge pool. Totally using those! And then on the ship there's a huge gym and lots of pools. Also, going to a bunch of beaches. Hopefully whatever weight I lose in the next two weeks will stay off during the cruise.

sweetpea105 12-22-2010 11:45 AM

Hi all! I am Jane -- count me in for the challenge. I am currently 189.0 so I will round up to 19 lbs. Heading out for the holidays tomorrow after work so I will post when I get back after New Years. These next 10 days will be really stressful, which is a trigger for me. I restarted on Oct 12 at 207, so I am happy at my progress. I eat whole food, low carb, lower calories and lower fat. For exercise, it's walking on the treadmill.

kcolville 12-22-2010 12:19 PM

welcome jane.

and thank mike- i figured it out i am allowed 2,300 calories a day but i will not be eating that...maybe 1300-1800. that seems better to me. ;)

travbrad 12-22-2010 01:40 PM

I'm up for this, although I am hoping for more like 15-20% by then :)

Didn't weigh myself today, so I'll start with yesterday.

Dec 21 - 263lbs
10% GOAL - 236.7lbs

sweetpea105 12-23-2010 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by sweetpea105 (Post 29273)
Hi all! I am Jane -- count me in for the challenge. I am currently 189.0 so I will round up to 19 lbs. Heading out for the holidays tomorrow after work so I will post when I get back after New Years. These next 10 days will be really stressful, which is a trigger for me. I restarted on Oct 12 at 207, so I am happy at my progress. I eat whole food, low carb, lower calories and lower fat. For exercise, it's walking on the treadmill.

THANKS, MIKE!

I found this formula on another board and did the math for my weight and it seemed to make sense so I thought I would pass it along:

1. take your current weight x 77 (this is some sort of multiplier and I don't remember the science behind this number) = the amount of intake calories per week to maintain your current weight. (i.e., 188 x 77 = 14,476)

2. take the number of lbs you wish to lose per week x 3500 (this is the # of calories/lbs) = calorie burn (i.e., 2 x 3,500 = 7,000)

3. take the result from #1 - result from #2 = the total calories you should intake per week in order to lose x lbs. (i.e., 14,476 - 7,000 = 7,476 calories)

4. take the result from #3 / 7 (days) = the number of calories you need to consume per day in order to lose x lbs per week. (i.e., 7,476/7 = 1,068)

I use this as a guideline b/c 1,068 calories seems a bit too low for me. If I exercise and burn 400 calories, it would mean that I can eat almost 1,500 calories and still lose 2 lbs./week.

Does this make sense or am I missing some science?

mecompco 12-23-2010 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by sweetpea105 (Post 29309)
THANKS, MIKE!

I found this formula on another board and did the math for my weight and it seemed to make sense so I thought I would pass it along:

1. take your current weight x 77 (this is some sort of multiplier and I don't remember the science behind this number) = the amount of intake calories per week to maintain your current weight. (i.e., 188 x 77 = 14,476)

2. take the number of lbs you wish to lose per week x 3500 (this is the # of calories/lbs) = calorie burn (i.e., 2 x 3,500 = 7,000)

3. take the result from #1 - result from #2 = the total calories you should intake per week in order to lose x lbs. (i.e., 14,476 - 7,000 = 7,476 calories)

4. take the result from #3 / 7 (days) = the number of calories you need to consume per day in order to lose x lbs per week. (i.e., 7,476/7 = 1,068)

I use this as a guideline b/c 1,068 calories seems a bit too low for me. If I exercise and burn 400 calories, it would mean that I can eat almost 1,500 calories and still lose 2 lbs./week.

Does this make sense or am I missing some science?

Jane, welcome to the challange and the FitDay forums.

Yup, I think your calculations make sense--there are a number of formulas out there.

1500 cals works well for me--I'm usually not too hungry as I try to space them out. I try to stay around a 40/30/30 carb/fat/protein mix, but am not always successful.

The big thing is to find a calorie level that keeps you satisfied, thus lessening the chances of giving up or "cheating" while still losing at the desired rate.

Have a happy and healthy holiday!

Regards,
Michael

cscan1 12-23-2010 06:51 AM

10% challenge

count me in too...i have started and restarted with fitday more times than i can count, always changing my goal date further in the future, but never attaining it. This may be helpful to have you guys watching! i am 158 lbs today, doc recently told me a healthy wt would be 110 for my height but i will shoot for 16 lbs by 4/1/11 and be very happy if i reach it.. good luck to all.

12/23/10....158 lbs

goal #1 ... 10% loss by 4/1/11..142 lbs.
goal #2.... 10% loss by 9/1/11..128 lbs.

mecompco 12-23-2010 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by cscan1 (Post 29331)
count me in too...i have started and restarted with fitday more times than i can count, always changing my goal date further in the future, but never attaining it. This may be helpful to have you guys watching! i am 158 lbs today, doc recently told me a healthy wt would be 110 for my height but i will shoot for 16 lbs by 4/1/11 and be very happy if i reach it.. good luck to all.

Welcome to the challenge. It sounds like you've got your mind made up to git-r-done this time. Good for you! Keep us posted as to your progress.

Regards,
Michael

DetroitBreakdown 12-23-2010 10:13 PM

First weigh-in for the challenge is a happy start. The scale said 331, and the last reliable weigh-in I had was two weeks ago at 338. I'm going to call this my starting weight for the challenge, so my April fools goal will be to lose 33lbs, and bust into the 200s.

Be well everyone!

Matt

mecompco 12-23-2010 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by DetroitBreakdown (Post 29362)
First weigh-in for the challenge is a happy start. The scale said 331, and the last reliable weigh-in I had was two weeks ago at 338. I'm going to call this my starting weight for the challenge, so my April fools goal will be to lose 33lbs, and bust into the 200s.

Be well everyone!

Matt

Matt, great job! Keep up the good work and I know you'll meet the challenge.

Regards,
Michael

AlexBarkerFitDay 12-24-2010 08:06 AM

Matt, Great job hitting your goal early! Looks like you need to update/recalculate your goals now in your signature. Good luck!

I look forward to seeing everyone's progress throughout this challenge.

I haven't weighed in a while now...
My next two weigh-ins are going to be January 1st and January 6th (it's the day before the cruise). After that, I will consistently weigh myself on Sunday mornings at 8am (starting Jan. 16 when I'm home from the cruise).

DetroitBreakdown 12-24-2010 11:30 AM

Thank you Michael and Alex!

Finally settled on my little vacation.

I don't mind benefiting from the beginner's boost. I suspect it will become harder work, but for now I'm really satisfied most days and am really enjoying my workouts and my new lifestyle.

This supportive community is the best. I still consider myself new here and I feel really fortunate to have such great examples surrounding me. It doesn't feel like pressure, it feels like "hey I want to be part of that."

I hope all of you and the one's you love have the happiest of holidays!

Matt

crkathleen 12-27-2010 03:25 AM

I wanna join!

I would LOVE to do this challange! Hope it's not to late to join! It's been awhile since I've been on fitday. I'm currently 188 and would love to lose 10% in 4 months!
I lost 25 lbs last year just from having a physically active job so I can't wait to incorporate some fun exercise with it!
Thanks for starting this thread.
Off to update my profile!

mecompco 12-27-2010 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by crkathleen (Post 29479)
I would LOVE to do this challange! Hope it's not to late to join! It's been awhile since I've been on fitday. I'm currently 188 and would love to lose 10% in 4 months!
I lost 25 lbs last year just from having a physically active job so I can't wait to incorporate some fun exercise with it!
Thanks for starting this thread.
Off to update my profile!

Welcome! We'd love to have you in the challenge and it's never too late, biology notwithstanding.

It's actually only three months 'till 04/01 but 19 pounds is still doable. It sounds like you have a very active lifestyle so that will help.

Regards,
Michael

182nomore 12-27-2010 05:01 AM

Hi everyone, love the idea of 10% by April Fools!! I'm going to join you,this maybe the motivation I need. I really need to lose about 35lbs. My weigh in will be on a tuesday morning.

Good luck to us all