April Fool's Day 10% Body Weight Loss Challenge

Old 02-28-2011, 11:25 AM
  #401  
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 144
Default

Congratulations, Michael, on having such a great time at camp AND losing weight. That's awesome and goes to show that we can indulge once in a while, especially if we're working our butts off at the same time.
DetroitBreakdown is offline  
Old 02-28-2011, 11:27 AM
  #402  
FitDay Member
 
kcolville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 247
Default

WHAT GIVES!?!

I am beyond frustrated. Last week I weighed in at 191.4 and this morning...191.4 I have been trying so hard- worked out 6 times last week (60 minutes of cardio and strength training 3 days as well). I did really well working out too- pushed myself. I actually was really proud because i set two new records for myself; I ran 2 miles in 23 minutes and did the elliptical for 60 minutes= 5.3 miles. AS for food..I stayed right around 1,600 calories. I seem to dip under 190 throughout the week but can NEVER stay there....I'm so tired of not seeing the numbers reflected. I have NO IDEA what to do differently..

sometimes this is more emotionally exhausting than physically.

Mike- glad to see your back and even lost some weight while away which is hard to do! Great for you and look forward to seeing your posts..
kcolville is offline  
Old 02-28-2011, 12:09 PM
  #403  
FitDay Premium Member
Thread Starter
 
mecompco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,621
Default

Originally Posted by kcolville View Post
WHAT GIVES!?!

I am beyond frustrated. Last week I weighed in at 191.4 and this morning...191.4 I have been trying so hard- worked out 6 times last week (60 minutes of cardio and strength training 3 days as well). I did really well working out too- pushed myself. I actually was really proud because i set two new records for myself; I ran 2 miles in 23 minutes and did the elliptical for 60 minutes= 5.3 miles. AS for food..I stayed right around 1,600 calories. I seem to dip under 190 throughout the week but can NEVER stay there....I'm so tired of not seeing the numbers reflected. I have NO IDEA what to do differently..

sometimes this is more emotionally exhausting than physically.

Mike- glad to see your back and even lost some weight while away which is hard to do! Great for you and look forward to seeing your posts..
Kaitlin, I'm glad to be back--I missed all you guys. And, I was pretty worried about the eating and drinking. I wrote everything down on paper and entered it into FitDay when I got home last night. Surprisingly, I only went over my burn one day, and that's eating steak, pot roast, pork roast, french fried potatos, bacon and eggs and 300 oz. of beer. Now, I did limit my portions to somewhat reasonable size, and I drank as much water as I could. Anyway, I was fully prepared to see a 5 lb. gain in fluid retention but I guess the extra calories burned did their job.

Now, I'm sorry to hear you've sort of plateaued for so long. Obviously if what you're doing isn't working you've got to change something. What is your calculated calorie deficit these days? Perhaps your calorie intake is just a bit too much? It sure sounds like you're exercise is OK. Anyway, change "something" this week and keep positive!

Regards,
Michael
mecompco is offline  
Old 02-28-2011, 12:14 PM
  #404  
FitDay Premium Member
Thread Starter
 
mecompco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,621
Default

Originally Posted by DetroitBreakdown View Post
Hey everyone. I had kind of a rough weight loss week, and only managed a pound. I was busier than usual and off plan more than I would like, mostly in the workout department. I tried to keep the eating under control, but I think I spent most of the week making up for a very social weekend last week.

I'm going to try to get back on plan today. I did a good grocery shop last night so I'd have my usual good choices easily available. I'm going to try to be zen about the small loss since I had a 5lb week last week.

Five weeks to go for all of us, and 9lbs to go for me. I feel confident about reaching the goal and am going to try to sprint to the finish to get my head right for the July 4th challenge.

Keep up the good work everyone and have a great week!
Matt
Matt, you're so close to the "two hundreds"!!! We've got four weeks to put this challenge to bed--I know we can do it!

And don't worry about the 1lb week--I've noticed that over time I lose in cycles like that--a big week or two, then a slow week or two. It's not like at first where you have week after week of big losses. I suspect as we get smaller a one lb. week will be fine (unless we lower cals and/or increase exercise).

Regards,
Michael
mecompco is offline  
Old 02-28-2011, 12:31 PM
  #405  
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 90
Default

Originally Posted by kcolville View Post
WHAT GIVES!?!

I am beyond frustrated. Last week I weighed in at 191.4 and this morning...191.4 I have been trying so hard- worked out 6 times last week (60 minutes of cardio and strength training 3 days as well). I did really well working out too- pushed myself. I actually was really proud because i set two new records for myself; I ran 2 miles in 23 minutes and did the elliptical for 60 minutes= 5.3 miles. AS for food..I stayed right around 1,600 calories. I seem to dip under 190 throughout the week but can NEVER stay there....I'm so tired of not seeing the numbers reflected. I have NO IDEA what to do differently..
Do you know what your bodyfat% is? Your strength exercises will be toning your muscles, making them stronger, leaner ... and heavier! You could be gaining good weight whilst losing the fat and you won't see that on the scales so much.

If you have measurements of your body (hip, waist, forearm, wrist, thigh, chest, neck) then now might be a good time to do them again and see the changes, because I bet there have been some.

Keep at it, though. Unless your protein/carb/fat mix is totally out of control then you're doing the right things and progress WILL come.
Geoffers is offline  
Old 02-28-2011, 12:55 PM
  #406  
FitDay Member
 
kcolville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 247
Default

Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
Do you know what your bodyfat% is? Your strength exercises will be toning your muscles, making them stronger, leaner ... and heavier! You could be gaining good weight whilst losing the fat and you won't see that on the scales so much.

If you have measurements of your body (hip, waist, forearm, wrist, thigh, chest, neck) then now might be a good time to do them again and see the changes, because I bet there have been some.

Keep at it, though. Unless your protein/carb/fat mix is totally out of control then you're doing the right things and progress WILL come.


I will certainly check my measurements, however unsure of the bodyfat%.. I'm 6'1.5 and 191.4...which would put me at??

Also- Mike, I know i need to change something but idk what. It says i should be eating 1,900 calories a day with how much i am working out- but that is WAY TOOOO HIGH...

HELP!?
kcolville is offline  
Old 02-28-2011, 01:31 PM
  #407  
FitDay Premium Member
Thread Starter
 
mecompco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,621
Default

Originally Posted by kcolville View Post
Also- Mike, I know i need to change something but idk what. It says i should be eating 1,900 calories a day with how much i am working out- but that is WAY TOOOO HIGH...

HELP!?
Kaitlin, I forget how many calories you've been eating? You know I'm a firm believer in having a pretty aggressive deficit as when you get right down to it, tracking calorie intake and burn is a fairly inexact science.

Could you get by keeping a 1,000 cal a day deficit? Even a 1,500 a day deficit? I know there are proponents of eating more to lose faster but for me, it's pretty much the opposite.

What do you think?

Regards,
Michael
mecompco is offline  
Old 02-28-2011, 01:51 PM
  #408  
FitDay Member
 
kcolville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 247
Default

Originally Posted by mecompco View Post
Kaitlin, I forget how many calories you've been eating? You know I'm a firm believer in having a pretty aggressive deficit as when you get right down to it, tracking calorie intake and burn is a fairly inexact science.

Could you get by keeping a 1,000 cal a day deficit? Even a 1,500 a day deficit? I know there are proponents of eating more to lose faster but for me, it's pretty much the opposite.

What do you think?

Regards,
Michael
Well it says that if i wanted to be 180 by 4/1/11 I need to follow these rules:

Weight Loss per Day-.36 / Calories per Pound-3,500 = Calorie Restriction per Day -1,247

Which turns into:
Calories You Burn (2,500) - Calorie Restriction( 1,247)= Calorie You Can Eat=1,253


I need to lower my intake my calorie intake by 400 or so..
kcolville is offline  
Old 02-28-2011, 02:01 PM
  #409  
FitDay Premium Member
Thread Starter
 
mecompco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,621
Default

Originally Posted by kcolville View Post
Well it says that if i wanted to be 180 by 4/1/11 I need to follow these rules:

Weight Loss per Day-.36 / Calories per Pound-3,500 = Calorie Restriction per Day -1,247

Which turns into:
Calories You Burn (2,500) - Calorie Restriction( 1,247)= Calorie You Can Eat=1,253


I need to lower my intake my calorie intake by 400 or so..
I would think that if you can live with 1200 cals at your activity level then you ought to see some results. I know you've got to chose food pretty carefully to keep you satisfied and get the carbs and protein you need at that level. I can be done, though, as I think I've mentioned I did 1,000 cals for quite a lengthy period in the past it dropped weight very fast.

Why not try it for a week and see what happens?

Oh, and don't forget that water, I'm also convinced that it is a major factor in weight loss. One of the things I did at camp was to keep up on my water consumption (between the beer).

Regards,
Michael
mecompco is offline  
Old 02-28-2011, 02:06 PM
  #410  
FitDay Member
 
kcolville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 247
Default

Originally Posted by mecompco View Post
I would think that if you can live with 1200 cals at your activity level then you ought to see some results. I know you've got to chose food pretty carefully to keep you satisfied and get the carbs and protein you need at that level. I can be done, though, as I think I've mentioned I did 1,000 cals for quite a lengthy period in the past it dropped weight very fast.

Why not try it for a week and see what happens?

Oh, and don't forget that water, I'm also convinced that it is a major factor in weight loss. One of the things I did at camp was to keep up on my water consumption (between the beer).

Regards,
Michael
You're right- it will be trickey..
Breakfast- i like having fruit smoothies (around 200 cals) which gets in my calcium and some fiber for the day
Snack- Apple- Fiber (100 calories)
Lunch- Lean Cuisine and extra veggies- Protein and carbs and ruffage (300ish cals)
snack- 90 cal fiber one bvar- fiber and carbs before gym
dinner- will need some type of protein and fat..(400 calories)

200
100
300
90
400
-------
right around 1,200

I'll try this- buckle down and get to work...I only have one more month!
kcolville is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.