Notices

April Fool's Day 10% Body Weight Loss Challenge

Old 12-23-2010, 01:06 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by sweetpea105
THANKS, MIKE!

I found this formula on another board and did the math for my weight and it seemed to make sense so I thought I would pass it along:

1. take your current weight x 77 (this is some sort of multiplier and I don't remember the science behind this number) = the amount of intake calories per week to maintain your current weight. (i.e., 188 x 77 = 14,476)

2. take the number of lbs you wish to lose per week x 3500 (this is the # of calories/lbs) = calorie burn (i.e., 2 x 3,500 = 7,000)

3. take the result from #1 - result from #2 = the total calories you should intake per week in order to lose x lbs. (i.e., 14,476 - 7,000 = 7,476 calories)

4. take the result from #3 / 7 (days) = the number of calories you need to consume per day in order to lose x lbs per week. (i.e., 7,476/7 = 1,068)

I use this as a guideline b/c 1,068 calories seems a bit too low for me. If I exercise and burn 400 calories, it would mean that I can eat almost 1,500 calories and still lose 2 lbs./week.

Does this make sense or am I missing some science?
Jane, welcome to the challange and the FitDay forums.

Yup, I think your calculations make sense--there are a number of formulas out there.

1500 cals works well for me--I'm usually not too hungry as I try to space them out. I try to stay around a 40/30/30 carb/fat/protein mix, but am not always successful.

The big thing is to find a calorie level that keeps you satisfied, thus lessening the chances of giving up or "cheating" while still losing at the desired rate.

Have a happy and healthy holiday!

Regards,
Michael
Old 12-23-2010, 06:51 AM
FitDay Member

Default 10% challenge

count me in too...i have started and restarted with fitday more times than i can count, always changing my goal date further in the future, but never attaining it. This may be helpful to have you guys watching! i am 158 lbs today, doc recently told me a healthy wt would be 110 for my height but i will shoot for 16 lbs by 4/1/11 and be very happy if i reach it.. good luck to all.

12/23/10....158 lbs

goal #1 ... 10% loss by 4/1/11..142 lbs.
goal #2.... 10% loss by 9/1/11..128 lbs.

Last edited by cscan1; 12-27-2010 at 02:53 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:56 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by cscan1
count me in too...i have started and restarted with fitday more times than i can count, always changing my goal date further in the future, but never attaining it. This may be helpful to have you guys watching! i am 158 lbs today, doc recently told me a healthy wt would be 110 for my height but i will shoot for 16 lbs by 4/1/11 and be very happy if i reach it.. good luck to all.
Welcome to the challenge. It sounds like you've got your mind made up to git-r-done this time. Good for you! Keep us posted as to your progress.

Regards,
Michael
Old 12-23-2010, 10:13 PM
FitDay Member

First weigh-in for the challenge is a happy start. The scale said 331, and the last reliable weigh-in I had was two weeks ago at 338. I'm going to call this my starting weight for the challenge, so my April fools goal will be to lose 33lbs, and bust into the 200s.

Be well everyone!

Matt
Old 12-23-2010, 11:55 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by DetroitBreakdown
First weigh-in for the challenge is a happy start. The scale said 331, and the last reliable weigh-in I had was two weeks ago at 338. I'm going to call this my starting weight for the challenge, so my April fools goal will be to lose 33lbs, and bust into the 200s.

Be well everyone!

Matt
Matt, great job! Keep up the good work and I know you'll meet the challenge.

Regards,
Michael
Old 12-24-2010, 08:06 AM
FitDay Member

Matt, Great job hitting your goal early! Looks like you need to update/recalculate your goals now in your signature. Good luck!

I look forward to seeing everyone's progress throughout this challenge.

I haven't weighed in a while now...
My next two weigh-ins are going to be January 1st and January 6th (it's the day before the cruise). After that, I will consistently weigh myself on Sunday mornings at 8am (starting Jan. 16 when I'm home from the cruise).
Old 12-24-2010, 11:30 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you Michael and Alex!

Finally settled on my little vacation.

I don't mind benefiting from the beginner's boost. I suspect it will become harder work, but for now I'm really satisfied most days and am really enjoying my workouts and my new lifestyle.

This supportive community is the best. I still consider myself new here and I feel really fortunate to have such great examples surrounding me. It doesn't feel like pressure, it feels like "hey I want to be part of that."

I hope all of you and the one's you love have the happiest of holidays!

Matt
Old 12-27-2010, 03:25 AM
FitDay Member

Default I wanna join!

I would LOVE to do this challange! Hope it's not to late to join! It's been awhile since I've been on fitday. I'm currently 188 and would love to lose 10% in 4 months!
I lost 25 lbs last year just from having a physically active job so I can't wait to incorporate some fun exercise with it!
Thanks for starting this thread.
Off to update my profile!
Old 12-27-2010, 04:08 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by crkathleen
I would LOVE to do this challange! Hope it's not to late to join! It's been awhile since I've been on fitday. I'm currently 188 and would love to lose 10% in 4 months!
I lost 25 lbs last year just from having a physically active job so I can't wait to incorporate some fun exercise with it!
Thanks for starting this thread.
Off to update my profile!
Welcome! We'd love to have you in the challenge and it's never too late, biology notwithstanding.

It's actually only three months 'till 04/01 but 19 pounds is still doable. It sounds like you have a very active lifestyle so that will help.

Regards,
Michael
Old 12-27-2010, 05:01 AM
FitDay Member

Hi everyone, love the idea of 10% by April Fools!! I'm going to join you,this maybe the motivation I need. I really need to lose about 35lbs. My weigh in will be on a tuesday morning.

Good luck to us all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.