FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   10 easy steps for weight loss newbies (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/2626-10-easy-steps-weight-loss-newbies.html)

tig0big0 12-11-2010 03:47 AM

10 easy steps for weight loss newbies

Moderator's Note: The following article is taken from a blog and referenced here 10 Easy Ways To Lose 15 Pounds | PRLog

The article appeared one week earlier than this post. The OP specifically states that "The explanations are my own. BTW". Well, unless the OP is the originator of the blog where this was taken from, that would be a lie. But the OP does not mention the blog. You decide if the OP is lying or not.

Now we have the original article cited so there won't be any confusion. It's still great advice, and that's why it's allowed to remain.

The thought of losing weight may be overwhelming. Especially if you have a goal to lose over 15 pounds. I've made a list of ten things you should do to help you lose weight. ( in no particular order)

Orient yourself with servings sizes- there's nothing quite like portion distortion. Get to know what ounces , cups, and grams look and feel like. At a restaurant you're served at least twice as much as you're supposed to eat. Do yourself a favor and share a meal with a friend/spouse. Here are a few ways to remember portion sizes : A cup is approximately the size of your fist. 3 oz (protein) is just about the size of your palm or a deck of cards. a tablespoon of butter is the size of the ditstal (from knuckle to tip) of your thumb. 2 tablespoons is the size of a ping pong ball.

Eat Breakfast- It's important to eat breakfast, you don't have to eat it first thing in the morning. Eat breakfast when you feel a little hungry. Your breakfast doesn't have to be a feast either, just give yourself enough food so that you won't empty the fridge by lunchtime :)

Read food labels- "low fat", "diet" , " low carb" and "zero calories" Don't mean a damn thing !!!!!! An item may claim to have less fat , but does it tell you that more sugar or salt was added to compensate for the loss of flavor ? A food item may claim to have zero calories, but does it also claim to have Zero nutritional value ? Don't believe the hype , look at the Nutritional facts label on the back to really see what your eating , make note of the serving size and read the ingredients.If you don't know what the ingredients are google it !

Plate your food- Cows don't eat from a plate , they graze all day, there's no telling how much they eat. Don't be a cow ! Plate every food item so that you can visualize how much you're taking in. The easiest way to consume way too many calories is to mindlessly eat out a container. Be aware of how much you're eating.

Grocery shop on a full stomach- You are less likely to buy junk when you're at the supermarket when you aren't hungry. First and foremost you should make a grocery list and stick to it. Not only does this method help you save money, it helps you save your waistline ;)

Make fiber a part of your diet- Foods like whole grains, Bran, leafy green veggies, apples ( with skin), pears, peaches, citrus( with pectin- the white stuff), beans, legumes, nutsand seeds are foods high in fiber. Fiber helps you feel fuller longer and slow the absorption of fat and cholesterol into the bloodstream.

Avoid canned and/or processed foods- they are full of sodium, fat and sugar. These " food" items tend to be void of any nutritional benefit. Stick to wholesome fresh foods. " If it comes in a box , tell it to kick rocks ".

Prepare your meals- Put the power in your hands. When you go to a restaurant or eat processed foods others make the decisions as to what you're eating. When you prepare your own meals you're in control of what goes in your mouth, you're also in more control of your weight.Besides , cooking is fun. If you have children , make them a part of the process.

Follow the 80:20 rule- It would be unreasonable to expect you to cut out all your favorite foods. On a diet like that you're 100% sure to fail. the 80:20 rule says that you should eat 80% healthy foods and let you have a little fun 20% of the time. It's like work, monday through friday from 9-5 you're on your best behavior, on the weekends you let yourself loose. There's no need to be stringent about what you eat all the time. ( unless you're on the "reduced joy diet")

Make smart substitutions- Lets say you're following the 80:20 rule, on those 20% foods be wise about your choices. Instead of ice cream have sorbet, you still get to enjoy a nice cool treat without the excess fat and calories. If you want to have a beer make it a light one. If you crave chocolate , try dark chocolate- it has flavinoids and antioxidants.

Bonus *11* Write down everything you eat and drink for a week- include calories if possible. Try to also record how much vitamins and minerals you're getting from your food. You'll be able to look at your eating habits and make a change immediately. If you feel bad throwing food away, donate those canned/processed foods to your local pantry for the needy- you'll be feeding the hungry and improving your health.It's holiday season we should all be willing to give.

tandoorichicken 12-11-2010 05:16 AM

Nice one, tig! Good point-by-point and easy to read. I like it! :)

vabeachgirlNYC 12-11-2010 05:32 AM

Weight Watchers?

There is some good advice in that article's list, but I disagree about canned veggies and beans. And eating breakfast, I think that's a preference, like eating late at night.

tandoorichicken 12-11-2010 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC (Post 28107)
Weight Watchers?

Is that where this is from? I have no clue :confused:

Lizzycritter 12-11-2010 06:31 AM

When reading the label, see how many "servings" are in that package. For example, most people eat a whole can of soup, but the typical can of soup is 2 servings. So you have to double the nutrition information to know what you really ate.

tig0big0 12-11-2010 03:28 PM

This isn't from weight watchers. These tips are common in most weight loss web sites, forums, magazines, books etc.

tig0big0 12-11-2010 03:32 PM

The explanations are my own. BTW

path75 12-12-2010 01:03 AM

Good advice

Good advice to newcomers. I think portion control is the first step then you can move on to other things. Healthy food is only good if you know how much your eating. Thanks for posting good tips.

Patti

vabeachgirlNYC 12-12-2010 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by tandoorichicken (Post 28109)
Is that where this is from? I have no clue :confused:

A friend emailed it to me this summer. Thought she said it was from WW. http://www.snay.org/smileys/dunno.gif

vabeachgirlNYC 12-12-2010 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by tig0big0 (Post 28152)

Wasn't trying to insult you! Didn't realize you were the author of the original article it was in. :)

almeeker 12-12-2010 11:45 PM

For the most part I agree with your list, although I feel it's missing the one step that has been the most essential in my successful weight loss journey, and that is a daily dose of exercise.

tavisha 12-13-2010 07:05 AM

Good tips, but I agree with Almeeker. Without exercise, my weight loss comes to a screaching halt no matter what else I'm doing.

Thanks everyone for sharing. I love to read what everyone else is doing and seeing all of your successes is so inspiring to me. :-)

rainbow24 01-04-2011 11:44 PM

One rule my naturopath gave me was to eat breakfast within 30 minutes of waking up. It does not have to be a large breakfast as long as I break my fast.

Some of his rules, I cannot carry out though.

He does not like dairy products at all and in fact prefers soy substitutes. I personally do not think soy belongs in a household with men, children, or my daughter.

vabeachgirlNYC 01-06-2011 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by rainbow24 (Post 30558)
One rule my naturopath gave me was to eat breakfast within 30 minutes of waking up. It does not have to be a large breakfast as long as I break my fast.

Some of his rules, I cannot carry out though.

He does not like dairy products at all and in fact prefers soy substitutes. I personally do not think soy belongs in a household with men, children, or my daughter.

I can't eat until I have been up for a couple of hours. I usually eat right before I go to bed.

And I couldn't live without the soy products I eat everyday. Edamame are my favorite! :)

claymorgan101 01-08-2011 05:20 AM

I would add to the list to watch your liquid calories. Even "good" liquids, such as milk and OJ can pack the pounds on if you aren't careful. Really keeping a close eye o. those things have helped me a lot.

rainbow24 01-08-2011 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by claymorgan101 (Post 31110)
I would add to the list to watch your liquid calories. Even "good" liquids, such as milk and OJ can pack the pounds on if you aren't careful. Really keeping a close eye o. those things have helped me a lot.

I have never looked at milk as a "liquid." I like to add about a tablespoon of OJ to my water and call it OJ.

jdotro 01-13-2011 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by tig0big0 (Post 28092)

If you feel bad throwing food away, donate those canned/processed foods to your local pantry for the needy- you'll be feeding the hungry and improving your health.It's holiday season we should all be willing to give.

I do not agree with this...if it's bad for us, why should we shove this garbage on people who are needy?

jdotro 01-13-2011 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by rainbow24 (Post 31115)
I have never looked at milk as a "liquid." I like to add about a tablespoon of OJ to my water and call it OJ.

Yeah, I wouldn't suggest drinking less milk unless you are lactose intollerant...if you switch to skim, there is barely any fat and it's FULL of protein, Vitamin D and calcium!

Orange juice on the other hand is full of calories so either limit your intake or substitute for something with less calories nad the same nutrients...you can get the same benefits of OJ by eating green pepper....1 medium sized green pepper gives you 100% vitamin C for the day!

jdotro 01-13-2011 03:35 AM

Yeah ya gotta watch soy! Fine for someone like me who is premenopausal and needs a hormone boost! But it's a big no-no for kids! Little girls have been known to begin puberty as early as 3 just from drinking soy milk instead of cow's milk...find other sources of calcium if you don't prefer dairy! Take Vitamin D supplements!

tig0big0 01-16-2011 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by jdotro (Post 31816)
I do not agree with this...if it's bad for us, why should we shove this garbage on people who are needy?

I've thought about that, we shouldn't give people "garbage" to eat. But if you were a hungry person would you rather someone throw the "food" out instead of give it to you. Empathy comes into play when making this decision.

AAFlaca 01-18-2011 01:11 PM

My doc also doesn't like dairy. She feels most people have problems with it and this is more suspect for her when they have difficulties losing weight. AND truth be told, when I gave up dairy, my weight loss improved a little. I'm using coconut milk instead (with my coffee, etc.) and it IS helping. My ONLY exception is feta cheese (not cow's milk!) which I have often and Greek Yogurt (which I have only once in a while). Honestly, this has helped me. Not a huge difference, but enough for me to notice.

travbrad 01-19-2011 08:37 AM

I've always hated eating breakfast so early, and never feel hungry immediately after waking up. BUT, for the past couple months I have been forcing myself to eat an early breakfast, and I find I have much less appetite the rest of the day. So I agree with this 100%. Your mileage may vary, but it works for me.

It's sort of counter-intuitive. You'd think by delaying your calorie intake, that would allow you to eat less calories over a day, but I just found it so much more tempting to go overboard at night when I didn't eat breakfast.

traaccy 01-26-2011 09:32 PM

Your plan is similar to a well known diet called "the grapefruit diet" where you eat portions of high-carb fruits and exercise often. Though diets like those will lose you the weight, they aren't necessarily that healthy. You'll lose the weight but most of the time you won't keep it off.

TrainersRoom 12-12-2011 09:31 PM

The key to a healthy balanced diet is not to ban or omit any foods or food groups but to balance what you eat by consuming a variety of foods from each food group in the right proportions for good health.

VitoVino 02-18-2012 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by tig0big0 (Post 28151)
This isn't from weight watchers. These tips are common in most weight loss web sites, forums, magazines, books etc.

True.

Originally Posted by tig0big0 (Post 28152)

Quite possibly false. Your post is dated December 11, 2010. I've found an earlier upload of this dated December 5, 2010 (and references an earlier blog) which is word for word what has been copied here. That's called plagiarism if indeed the blog was not written by you.

10 Easy Ways To Lose 15 Pounds | PRLog

VitoVino 02-22-2012 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Danieal (Post 73606)
Hi tig0big0,
Thanks for sharing these 10 easy steps for weight loss with everyone. These steps will be of great help for those who are trying to lose weight. We must lose and stabilize weight to lead healthy and active lifestyle.

If you like those tips, check these out: http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...ight-loss.html

meking703 02-25-2012 05:39 PM

get some SLEEP

the one tip that I haven't seen on the forums that makes a HUGE difference to me, is to get enough sleep.

I find that if I am sleep deprived that I have absolutely no will power to resist the foods I am trying to cut back on, nor can I keep my portions under control. I believe there are some studies that have shown similar results.

of course, if you're tired, you also don't feel that you have the energy to get any exercise. lack of exercise can negatively affect your quality of sleep. a vicious cycle if there ever was one.

personally, I've found that listening to a relaxation tape when I go to bed can help me fall asleep faster - it helps me stop thinking about all the things I need to to tomorrow! there are some good relaxation apps for the iPhone too.

Michelle

VitoVino 02-26-2012 12:55 AM

I second that tip, Michelle. Sleep has been shown in studies to aid in sleep loss.

cjohnson728 02-26-2012 01:21 AM

Vito, did you get enough sleep last night? Read what you just posted ;).

Seriously, I can second (or third) that. I have read that too little sleep increases the production of cortisol, the stress hormone, which is linked, I believe, to belly fat. I've also noticed from personal experience that when I'm sleeping well, I'm on my game with diet and exercise; unfortunately, I'm in a bad round of sleeping lately and trying to tweak it. I try for seven hours but realistically, it's usually more like six.

VitoVino 02-26-2012 01:25 AM

LOL. I got enough sleep, just haven't had my coffee yet.

01gt4.6 02-26-2012 02:08 AM

Good catch Cassie.

Originally Posted by VitoVino (Post 74154)
I second that tip, Michelle. Sleep has been shown in studies to aid in sleep loss.

:D

VitoVino 02-26-2012 02:28 AM

Yeah, yeah, the way I wrote that, if I were a newbie everybody would think I was about to place spam in my signature! :D