Notices
Like Tree29Likes

The Official Unisex 100+ Pounds to Lose Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 07:14 AM
FitDay Member

Default About to go do my workout.

I snuck onto the scale early last night and I've actually gained half a pound!?!?!?!?!?!? THAT BETTER JUST BE WATER !
I won't check again till the 14th -_- this is a huge bummer.. Part of me wants to just give up already. but I'm not going to its only been 3 days since i really set myself on this plan. maybe i'm gaining muscle from exercising more.. or something. Then that muscle will eat up all my calories! hope so.
anyways.. Cutting my calories a little more, to around 1100. And going to watch my sodium intake to make sure I'm not retaining a lot of water.

*grudgingly approaches the elliptical wishing I was an Ectomorph body type.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:26 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Misery16226
I snuck onto the scale early last night and I've actually gained half a pound!?!?!?!?!?!? THAT BETTER JUST BE WATER!
Not to worry, my friend! If your eating has been on track, it most assuredly is just water - it could be from salty food, but if you've just recently started an exercise program, I can just about guarantee it's because your muscles are retaining more water. Any time we embark on an exercise routine, be it a new one or upping the intensity, increased water retention in our muscles is pretty much a given. Once your body is used to the increased activity level, it'll "let go" of any excess water it doesn't need. When I increased my workout frequency and intensity some time ago, my weight shot up 3# that week - and then, the following week, I was down something like 4 or 5 #. Give it time, and don't let something as silly as water cause you to give up.
Also, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it takes a pretty long time to build muscle, so it's definitely not that. Also note that muscle does *not* weigh more than fat - it's simply more dense and therefore takes up less room than fat. Just wanted to debunk some common myths. You're doing awesome - show that elliptical what's up and you will see both weight loss and muscle building/definition in due time.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:42 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you changeisgood29 , glad if its water.. still going to watch my salt intake although i am not a big fan of salty foods anyways.. i could be overdoing it still. Now i'm actually just making a playlist for my workout thinking i need some angry music. Great job almost halfway to your goal weight. You started where I am starting. How did you lose all that weight?
Thanks for telling me that muscle doesn't weigh more then fat, I've always guessed thats just what moms tell their daughters to make them feel a little less like a fatso !!
Also Do you have problems with extra skin now since you've lost over 50 ? thats something i'm really NOT looking forward to.. But some people have told me that the skin isn't so bad.

I'm interested in anybody's experiences with extra skin actually.. ???

For almost a year i've used the skin as a slight excuse to not lose weight. I know that it can't be worse then fat. but its sorta like oh crap will i have an ugly body no matter what i do? Now i'm doing this for health more then looks.

Anyways i better get to my exercising! Be back soon.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:10 AM
FitDay Member

Happy to help! I also realized that I should've added that daily weight fluctuations are also normal - so, if you know your eating is on target, don't sweat it, although I know it sucks to see that scale go up, regardless of the reason.

Originally Posted by Misery16226
Great job almost halfway to your goal weight. You started where I am starting. How did you lose all that weight?
Also Do you have problems with extra skin now since you've lost over 50 ?
Thank you for the kind words - it almost feels a bit odd to be halfway to my goal weight! Hmm... How have I lost the weight? Well, nothing too crazy - eating right and exercising (I know, big shocker). More specifically though, I started by making small changes and working my way up. Instead of getting fast food 2-4X/week, I cut it down to once a week; instead of relying on processed stuff like boxed mac and cheese, I started to cook; I eventually replaced ground beef with ground turkey - you get the idea. Over time, I started to "naturally" make better food choices, and found that I didn't want the crap nearly as much as I used to. I still have a "treat meal" once per week - my husband and I go out to dinner and I pretty much just stay within maintenance calories for one day a week. There are a variety of opinions on "treats;" this is what works for me.

As far as exercise, I started slow and steady - 3-4x a week for 20-30 minutes on the treadmill. When my body didn't feel challenged anymore, I upped the time by 5-10 minutes and/or the incline/speed. After a few months, I really started to LOATHE the treadmill (I'd be bored out of my freakin' mind), so I started to workout at home, which I love. It took me about 6 months from my start date to really get into the groove and find things that I liked - at the moment, I use the PS3, the Wii, and a variety of workout DVD's and have gotten results that I never would've seen at the gym. If you need any recommendations, ask away, lol - I've tried quite a few (although not the really intense ones like P90X, though there are plenty of folks on this site who have). I do recognize that many people prefer going to the gym, and will be the first to say that running in place is not as good as going for a run - but for me, since I'll actually DO it, it's way better for me.

Woo, I've rather rambled on - I did not mean to overwhelm you! If you want any more specifics, please feel free to ask. I would recommend to just really pay attention to what works for you, and to experiment - and to ask, ask, ask questions. Getting healthy, I think, is so overwhelming in the beginning - FitDay is a great resource and many of the people on here have helped me immensely.

You asked about excess skin - there's really only one spot that I have some excess skin, and it's my gut/"pooch", but it's really not that bad. Also, you're younger than me (I'll be 30 next month), so, if you lose the weight slowly and safely (1-2#/week), I think that if you do have any, it won't be that noticeable or "ugly." Strength training can help *a lot* with avoiding excess skin from occurring - this can be as simple as using resistance bands, doing crunches, etc.

I just put a lot out there, but I hope it's of some service. In short, start slow and trust yourself. You can do this. All the information and the fine-tuning will come with time. A year ago, I hated exercising and never would've thought I'd be where I am today. Give yourself the time, freedom and patience to experiment and find what you like and what works for you, and you can achieve anything.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:34 AM
FitDay Member

The saggy skin thing.... When I was 20 I weighed 280 and lost 70 lbs that year. Absolutely no saggy skin at all - Unfortunately I gained it back and then some. 22 years and 4 pregnancies later, I'm noticing definite saggy tummy skin and some under the chin loose skin. You are starting young and the skin's elasticity is much better at your age.
I keep telling myself that it's all worth having saggy skin to be a thinner, healthier me - and there's always surgery if I really can't live with it.

Thanks everyone for the exercise advice - I signed up for a learn to run clinic starting in April, I'm thinking the fear of it alone will help keep me on track!

Julieann
Old 03-09-2011, 08:51 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for all that great info changeisgood29 .

I've just finished my work out, i went for 30 mins, 2.0 miles (i was going pretty slow at the end lol) but still i feel a little better that i've done it.
I've also been adding up my "calories used" that i havent eatten back and apparently 3500 calories = 1 pound. So as of today I have burned and not replaced over 3500 calories. Hopefully that means i have lost 1 pound of fat. *excited

And you are so right jjeand .. I don't need to be a model! I need to stop comparing myself with celebrities i know those models have NEVER been overweight or OBESE. Plus their job is to look thin and beautiful. As for being younger possibly making my skin less of a problem, i don't think thats the case.. ( i've got stretchmarks etc)
Will keep aiming for more water.
Now that i've caught my breathe gunna go shower and get some stuff done

By the way, Does anyone have mini panic attacks when you see your heart rate go super high? My heart rate was over 200 O.O i kinda freaked out!
Old 03-09-2011, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Misery -

If it makes you feel any better at all, I have stretch marks too (on my stomach around my belly button, on my hips, my inner thighs, and on my chest).

I have lost weight fairly slowly (I'm averaging about 1.75 lbs./week) and I have to say that the stretch marks are becoming less noticeable. They're still there, but they're getting lighter and lighter - from a noticeable pinkish/white to a duller white, more "skin tone-like" color. The ones on my tummy in particular are barely-there anymore (They were, however, also the last to form -- I got them within the past year when I ballooned up 15 lbs. in a couple months)

I expect it will take a long time for them to completely go away, but I am encouraged that they are definitely "less there" -- you're even younger than me (I'm 27), but I hope it gives you some hope! They do eventually go away over time, especially the younger you are. And if you lose slowly enough, the saggy skin should be minimal.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:41 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for replying taubele.. I'm very glad to know that they do fade!
The ones have are actually lighter then new ones would be.. since i've had them since i was about 9 years old. Also there are lasor therepies for stretchmarks to make them even less noticable... that i might concider after i get to a healthy body weight. Congrats on making it to your mini goal under 200 must feel great.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:53 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by dreamergirl27
"The saggy skin thing.... When I was 20 I weighed 280 and lost 70 lbs that year. Absolutely no saggy skin at all - "
I'm glad that the sagging skin isn't a guarantee.
I have to keep telling myself that being slim/healthy is worth any skin problems too And throw any fears and excuses out as soon as I think of them
I am/WAS! the type to make a lot of excuses and problems for myself.
^^Just one habit I'm going to kick. Maybe start seeing the bright side--AND BELIEVING IT IS REAL ..more often. I also gotta stop exaggerating the negatives.
<3
Old 03-10-2011, 02:29 AM
FitDay Member

With only needing to lose 81#, I didn't feel qualified to be posting on your website. However, I have to say I read every post and been very motivated to stay the course because of you. Thanks. Lois

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.