Notices
Like Tree29Likes

The Official Unisex 100+ Pounds to Lose Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 02:14 AM
FitDay Member

I have been reading these forums for a couple of weeks now and I have finally gotten up enough nerve to let you all know that I am here with you. I find it hard to talk about myself, it is so much easier to stay in the back ground and just observe. Oh well here goes...

I am a 42 year old man who is overweight, smokes, has high blood pressure and diabetes. I wasn't aware of the high blood pressure or the diabetes until a few weeks ago but I wasn't surprised when I found out. On Feb 9th I went to see my doctor and that is when I found out, he recommended I try Fitday and told to come back in 2 weeks to start treatment for the high blood pressure and diabetes. After being on Fitday for those 2 weeks, my weight, my blood pressure and blood sugar had all gone down enough that he decided to post-pone any other treatment for a while to see if I can rectify these problems through diet and exercise, without any medications.

My Stats
Height 5' 10"
Starting Weight - 295 9-Feb-11
Current Weight - 283.1
Next Weight Goal - 270 by 01-Apr-11
Ultimate Goal - 180 lb

Your stories have all inspired me, hopefully I can help inspire someone else.

Mark
Old 03-01-2011, 02:29 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by DancinBear2
I have been reading these forums for a couple of weeks now and I have finally gotten up enough nerve to let you all know that I am here with you. I find it hard to talk about myself, it is so much easier to stay in the back ground and just observe. Oh well here goes...

I am a 42 year old man who is overweight, smokes, has high blood pressure and diabetes. I wasn't aware of the high blood pressure or the diabetes until a few weeks ago but I wasn't surprised when I found out. On Feb 9th I went to see my doctor and that is when I found out, he recommended I try Fitday and told to come back in 2 weeks to start treatment for the high blood pressure and diabetes. After being on Fitday for those 2 weeks, my weight, my blood pressure and blood sugar had all gone down enough that he decided to post-pone any other treatment for a while to see if I can rectify these problems through diet and exercise, without any medications.

My Stats
Height 5' 10"
Current Weight - 283.1
Ultimate Goal - 180 lb

Mark
Mark, welcome!

It's simply amazing what you accomplished in only a couple of weeks--keep up the good work my friend. With FitDay and a little determination I find the whole weight loss procedure pretty painless.

And, thanks for sharing your story--I know it's hard to get started talking about personal stuff like weight loss and medical issues in "public" but all of us here share your problem to one degree or another. I've aired all my "dirty laundry" here and people still talk to me, so don't be shy and post away!

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-01-2011, 05:40 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by SisterJen
Well, I know that it has been at least a week since I was able to stop by, but I managed to drop another 3.6#s!!! That makes a total of a measly “official” 7.4#s, but it’s a step in the right direction anyways .

I hope all is well with everyone, and welcome to all of the new members…I hope you stick around for the long haul .
Jen, that's great--keep it up!

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-01-2011, 09:15 AM
FitDay Member

Smile New Here

I've been reading on here and you guys are an inspiration. A little background, I am a 39 yr old female who is 100 lbs overweight. To say that outloud is shocking! I currently weigh 240 lbs and hope to reach my little mini goals and eventually get down to 160 (the top end of my healthy weight). I have been heavy since having my son 18 years ago and my weight has varied since then, with my highest being 272 and lowest 160. I am currently on medication that makes losing weight difficult, but I won't use that as an excuse anymore!!!

I also had a lap band put in 11/05, but it didn't go so well, I only lost 20 lbs and it eroded into my stomach and had it removed 11/07. So much for that grand idea, right? LOL

Anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself and I hope to become an inspiration to others someday

Namaste,
Amywynn
Old 03-01-2011, 09:57 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by amywynn
I've been reading on here and you guys are an inspiration. A little background, I am a 39 yr old female who is 100 lbs overweight. To say that outloud is shocking! I currently weigh 240 lbs and hope to reach my little mini goals and eventually get down to 160 (the top end of my healthy weight). I have been heavy since having my son 18 years ago and my weight has varied since then, with my highest being 272 and lowest 160. I am currently on medication that makes losing weight difficult, but I won't use that as an excuse anymore!!!

I also had a lap band put in 11/05, but it didn't go so well, I only lost 20 lbs and it eroded into my stomach and had it removed 11/07. So much for that grand idea, right? LOL

Anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself and I hope to become an inspiration to others someday

Namaste,
Amywynn
Welcome to FitDay and the forums! We're always glad to have another join the 100+ thread.

Have you worked out what your eating and exercise plans are going to be? What your goal/time frame is going to be?

If there's anything we can do to help, just say the word.

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-01-2011, 12:01 PM
FitDay Member

Talking OMG and Congrats.

Congrats to everyone this week.

To the newcomers, congrats for starting the journey. This is a key step towards a new healthier you. Fitday like any tool is as good as the user. Track your food, make adjustments, and exercise; you will feel great.

To the regulars...losts of success this week....all one pound at a time.

Personally, I had hit a plateau with no movement for awhile. Today, I stepped on the scale for the first time in about 10 days and wow....a substantial drop...finally.

My total loss effective today is 31 lbs...103 more to go to reach my 'normal' weight. That means I have lost 23% of the weight loss goal already.

Thanks to all for your encouragement and faith the last couple of weeks. Have a good night all.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:01 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by DancinBear2

My Stats
Height 5' 10"
Current Weight - 283.1
Ultimate Goal - 180 lb

Mark
Great work, Mark! And welcome. I too am 42, and started in November. I had been previously diagnosed with high blood pressure and pre-diabetes, and was put on metformin and lisinopril almost two years ago. I think my doctor wanted to see evidence that I would change, but, like you, after only a couple of weeks he was impressed with the progress and change in my medical stats. He has since taken me off metformin and cut my lisinopril, and I'm expecting him to take me off it at my appt next week. Keep up the good work and you can avoid these medications, which I think we'd all agree that you will do better without if you can keep your health in check.

Welcome Amywynn, and congrats on your progress Jen and Bubbs. There's good stuff going on here!
Old 03-02-2011, 12:26 AM
FitDay Member

Ok, time for me to get some practical advice from experienced members. I had a really insane 10 days, during which my computer completely died. I can't claim I didn't have any kind of computer access, I did at work, but I basically fell off the map logging my daily calories for the first time since I started. Now, here I am 10 days later with incomplete records.

It may sound silly, but I get a lot of emotional nourishment from looking at graphs and numbers associated with my journey, and this hole wreaks havoc on my charting.

So I want to rebuild my calorie logs in some realistic way, without a real memory of everything I consumed during that period. Any advice? One solution I thought of was that I could take the weight loss I experienced, calculate backward to the calorie deficit that would have produced that loss, divide it by the number of days, and basically make up days that fit.

There's no way around the fact that i'm going to have this hole of unreality in my logging, which I will live with (I know, control freak much?) but really I just don't want to strip the value or honesty out of my reporting. Any other advice?

Thanks all.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:35 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by DetroitBreakdown
Ok, time for me to get some practical advice from experienced members. I had a really insane 10 days, during which my computer completely died. I can't claim I didn't have any kind of computer access, I did at work, but I basically fell off the map logging my daily calories for the first time since I started. Now, here I am 10 days later with incomplete records.

It may sound silly, but I get a lot of emotional nourishment from looking at graphs and numbers associated with my journey, and this hole wreaks havoc on my charting.

So I want to rebuild my calorie logs in some realistic way, without a real memory of everything I consumed during that period. Any advice? One solution I thought of was that I could take the weight loss I experienced, calculate backward to the calorie deficit that would have produced that loss, divide it by the number of days, and basically make up days that fit.

There's no way around the fact that i'm going to have this hole of unreality in my logging, which I will live with (I know, control freak much?) but really I just don't want to strip the value or honesty out of my reporting. Any other advice?

Thanks all.
Mark, I guess I would just do the best you can. I was off line for five days while at camp, so I wrote everything on paper and entered it all when I got home. I will admit that I neither weighed nor measured, but did the best I could "eyeballing" the portions (I find that portions can tend to look different when viewed through "beer goggles" as well) .

So, fill in what you can remember--as long as the calories are more-or-less correct 10 days won't make that much difference in the long run. What else can you do if you didn't make notes? (Which I know you'll do if this ever happens again).

Regards,
Michael

PS I like to look at my graphs and reports as well. I am particularly unhappy that my data prior to May 4th, 2010 seems to have gone away. I had records all the way back to '01.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:41 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by Bubbs21
Congrats to everyone this week.

To the newcomers, congrats for starting the journey. This is a key step towards a new healthier you. Fitday like any tool is as good as the user. Track your food, make adjustments, and exercise; you will feel great.

To the regulars...losts of success this week....all one pound at a time.

Personally, I had hit a plateau with no movement for awhile. Today, I stepped on the scale for the first time in about 10 days and wow....a substantial drop...finally.

My total loss effective today is 31 lbs...103 more to go to reach my 'normal' weight. That means I have lost 23% of the weight loss goal already.

Thanks to all for your encouragement and faith the last couple of weeks. Have a good night all.
Jacqeuline, see, I KNEW the losses would start back up with a little perseverance!

Good for you, and you've hit the Challenge goal early to boot!

We've both around 100 left to go, so we're in the home stretch. Keep up the great work.

Regards,
Michael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.