Notices
Like Tree29Likes

The Official Unisex 100+ Pounds to Lose Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Michael,

I just checked out your log, I only went back to Dec 10, are you always that low on protein? Oh... your pie chart on Dec 11 got my attention. Great job on being able to stick to 1500 calories, that takes so will power! Your progress is truly amazing!
Old 12-13-2010, 08:35 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Michael,

I just checked out your log, I only went back to Dec 10, are you always that low on protein? Oh... your pie chart on Dec 11 got my attention. Great job on being able to stick to 1500 calories, that takes so will power! Your progress is truly amazing!
Yeah, I had a Christmas party Potluck dinner I had to attend on the 11th. Had a few pepperoni/cheese crackers and went for the turkey shepard's pie (instead of the beef). We were all called back to the table after doing the gift swap to find big plates of homemade cherry cheesecake at the table. Of course, I declined to eat mine (small victories). Did the best I could give the circumstances

But I do usually average close to 40/30/30 in carbs/fat/protien. I know I should get even more protien. On the weekends I tend to get more fat as we usually do a big brunch w/bacon, eggs, toast--the whole deal.

If you check my 1 or 2 month pie chart I think the averages will look better. I really find 1500 to 1600 pretty comfortable and not requring much "willpower". Now, back years ago when I did 1,000 cals a day, and under 10 grams of fat, that took a bit of willpower.

Thanks for you input--sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees.

Regards,
Michael
Old 12-13-2010, 09:46 PM
FitDay Member

Good morning people ~

Can't sleep, might as well work. I just wanted to say hello, and I hope everyone has a great day.

My nights are getting away from me. If I don't get to the gym this evening, I'll have to reconsider going at the crack of dawn.

Hate the cold. Love not going to bed at night thinking "how could I eat like that? and when is it going to stop?"

Is anyone watching Biggest Loser? I don't know if it's actually on right now or not, but I watched the "Where Are They Now" segment on the web. There's some inspiration. And some cautionary tales.

Hope everybody has a great day ~
Old 12-13-2010, 10:04 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Lynette, I was actually going to post something about the "when is thing going to stop" thought process. The last time I lost weight, I was SO thankful that whatever switch in my head got flipped so that this thought no longer ran in my head every night and every morning. Before that, I must have thought several thousand times "TODAY, I'll be in control and eat right". Some days that thought actually lasted until after lunch time, but usually not. Then, the switch went off. I've prayed and hoped and thought about it until this May, when the switch went back on.

It is SO much of a relief to KNOW what your day will be like--how much you will eat, and what exercise you will do. Of course, there will be days that interrupt this routine and the difference is that THIS time, I accept that and can deal with it.

Here's to keeping the "switch" flipped for all of us!

Have a great day.

Regards,
Michael

PS Not sure where you're from, but here in Maine it is wet, cold and pretty miserable--can't wait for spring! (Already have plans to get my bicycle out of mothballs, do some hiking and camping and other outdoors activities).
Old 12-13-2010, 11:52 PM
FitDay Member

You did much better than I did on December 11th, Michael. I was at a get together and decided I would allow myself one piece of pizza, which I hadn't had in five weeks. I also had a couple of little treats, but passed on the wonderful looking home made lemon cake or any more pizza (which did take willpower)

I'm really curious on this protein thing. I feel much better when I avoid meat, and I'm not very good about preparing fish at home. I do drink protein shakes at least once a day, but it may not be high enough in protein.

I know that people say we should get much more protein than I'm getting. I'm usually around a 50/25/25 split, or even 60/20/20. I feel pretty good on what I'm doing, but would be happy to have any tips.

Reading back, ooof...don't get me started on chairs and avoiding restaurants with booths!

Be well everyone!
Old 12-14-2010, 01:25 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by SisterJen
Matt,

This may not be a popular suggestion on this site, but if you dislike meat, you may want to consider the following book..."Eat right 4 your type". I'm sure that a lot of people think it was a "fad diet" but I found that when I was eating by the recommendations for my blood type, I did actually feel better! A type O is more of a carnivore, while a type A is an omnivore that leans more toward vegetarian choices and leaner cuts of meat.

May not be a popular suggestion, but perhaps you may want to look into it anyways.

Jen
Jen, I don't there is anything wrong with exploring different nutritional mixes. We are all different and I'm sure different bodies respond to foods differently in some cases.

This whole eating for weight loss process is pretty much trail and error, I think. Now, eating for nutritional well being can be an entirely different thing.

Take for instance the fellow who lost 25 pounds eating Twinkies and Hostess Cupcakes for a month. His hypothesis was that if calories eaten, no matter their source is less than calories expended, then weight loss will occur. How can it not, if you think about it?

Now, of course, we want weight loss WITH at least a sembelance of good nutrition and that is a little tougher. Oh, and while we're at it, make it taste GOOD and keep us FULL so we're less apt to stray. Easier said than done!

I think we each need to figure this out and fine-tune it ourselves. There is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to eating plans.

Regards,
Michael

PS Matt, if what you're doing is working, I don't guess I'd worry too much about it.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:29 AM
FitDay Member

"TODAY, I'll be in control and eat right". Some days that thought actually lasted until after lunch time, but usually not. Then, the switch went off. I've prayed and hoped and thought about it until this May, when the switch went back on."

Yeah, that switch. I don't know how to make the switch flip. It just seems like there are certain points in my life where everything's come together into a single crystalline moment of possibility. If I miss it, I can't predict when it's going to come around again. The times I've seized that moment, I've been able to do something about this @#$%@#%@ plague.

"Today, I'll be in control and eat right".... that's something I imagine 90% of the people in the world don't understand about their fat fellows. Most of us have dieted every day of our lives.

Why it doesn't work over the long haul is another story. I'll tell you, I'm laying in the books and articles and everything I can find from people who've lost it and kept it off. I'm clearly clueless, never having done it for any significant period of time.

I won't say it's easy to lose it, but keeping it off is a whole other beast.

Michael, I'm in Tulsa, but I've spent three months of the last year in a house on the beach in Yucatan. Sunshine and sea breezes. I think it ruined me for winter. My husband's been down there over a year, just came back. He was standing in the hall last night with his coat on saying "I want to go home!" I just couldn't do Maine. You're a hardy soul.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:30 AM
FitDay Member

Wow, I love how this thread has grown so popular so quickly! It's great to read about all of your successes, and to see everyone support each other.

Today, I'll be in control and eat right".... that's something I imagine 90% of the people in the world don't understand about their fat fellows. Most of us have dieted every day of our lives.
Maybe that's the answer Lynette. The diet industry has a lot to answer for. Maybe taking it into your hands instead is what will work for you.

Anyway, not here to preach, just to say I am so pleased to see this thread thriving, and the very best of luck to each and every one of you. And, where was this thread last year, hmm???
Old 12-14-2010, 01:32 PM
FitDay Member

hey Gallus(Skinny)Gal ~

I do think the diet industry has a lot to answer for. Sometimes I wonder where I'd be if I'd never started on that first diet ~ when I had about 5 pounds to lose. Oh well, water under (or is it over) the bridge now. I had a great family and they were absolutely obsessed with weight and appearances, so my rounded body composition next to my bony sister looked fat. I know now it wasn't, but that softer look got me put on a diet in 2d grade, and then it was on. One diet after another after another after another.

Congrats on your great success. It's wonderful to have such inspiration.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:42 PM
FitDay Member

Default 100+

Please count me in for this 100+ weight loss group. I am ready to be slim and trim!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.