FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   Why monitor macros? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/2355-why-monitor-macros.html)

01gt4.6 11-11-2010 09:25 AM

Why monitor macros?

I saw this on another site. Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds - CNN.com

basically the guy proves that losing weight is about being calorie deficient, and not so much about macros. He lost 27 pounds in 2 months by eating Doritos, Nutty Bars, donuts, etc. every 3 hours, but stayed deficient on calories.

I still monitor my macros but this was interesting.

Lizzycritter 11-11-2010 11:44 AM

Long term I would worry about malnutrition, vitamin and protein deficiencies. I'd feel like crap on that diet. The volume on those foods would be too small to satisfy my hunger for one. I also feel nauseous when I eat too much sugar. Keeping my protein up keeps my blood sugar stable and satisfies my appetite better. But I don't sweat it, and I don't worry about fat since deep fried foods are pretty rare. I do eat eggs, and 2 or 3 pieces of bacon once a week (big family breakfast on the weekend). I'm a big believer in moderation. I'd rather lose at a slower pace and not feel like I'm "missing out" than be miserable on nothing but salad.

cjohnson728 11-11-2010 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Lizzycritter (Post 25197)
I'd rather lose at a slower pace and not feel like I'm "missing out" than be miserable on nothing but salad.

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!! For me, it sets me up to maintain better, too.

You are a wise woman, Lizzycritter.

almeeker 11-11-2010 12:06 PM

Oh good grief, don't any of you tell my mother about this Debbie Cake diet. It's taken us years to get her off of them.

01gt4.6 11-11-2010 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 25204)
Oh good grief, don't any of you tell my mother about this Debbie Cake diet. It's taken us years to get her off of them.

just tell you mom that the article says... Despite his temporary success, Haub does not recommend replicating his snack-centric diet.

vabeachgirlNYC 11-11-2010 01:44 PM

Anybody can lose weight at first just by cutting calories. But how healthy would the Twinkle diet be long term?

It would be interesting to see what effect it would have on his cholesterol and other blood levels after a year or so.

cubbyprincess 11-12-2010 01:17 AM

ya..not sustainable long term, unless you want a host of other health related problems!:confused::D

rpmcduff 11-12-2010 03:22 AM

I thought it was interesting that he drank a protein shake daily and he ate every 3 hours. By spreading his calories he avoided having a surplus of simple carbohydrates that his body would have to store as fat once his glycogen reserves were replenished. It would be interesting to see what his macro nutrient percentages were.

I also found it interesting that his cholesterol levels improved. This reinforces the fact that dietary intake of high cholesterol foods (like eggs) has never been tied to high blood cholesterol levels.

My take is that if you eat at a calorie deficit and spread your calories to 5 or 6 times a day you will lose weight. Would he have lost more weight or lost a higher percentage of body fat if he had eaten less simple carbs? In my opinion yes.

The big question as Lizzy, cubby and Cassie said is whether it is sustainable for you and if so, is it healthy long term.

blkane 11-12-2010 07:32 AM

good gosh.....I would feel like crud on this diet. But, a calorie deficit is a calorie deficit and it's no shocker he lost weight. It won't work for me. Like some of the others, I'm going to the slow and steady clean eating route. This is a lifetime deal and not just a diet.

healthy2018 08-25-2018 11:51 PM

merci

Thank you for sharing