FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   Does anyone watch their fat intake? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/230-does-anyone-watch-their-fat-intake.html)

showmenow 01-21-2010 04:05 PM

Does anyone watch their fat intake?

I am curious if anyone else watches their fat intake or do you just count calories?

kathietaylor 01-21-2010 05:46 PM

I definitely watch the fat intake! However it is very important that you get enough GOOD fat, as opposed to the bad stuff. You need fat from sources like salmon, almonds, walnuts, olive oil, flaxseed. Plus you should take a daily fish oil supplement. Those healthy oils are good for your heart, they help you lose weight, lower cholesterol and all kinds of other good things. It is the fats from processed foods and red meat you need to watch, as they are the bad fats that seem to do the direct opposite compared to the good fats.

So many of us have grown up with the "FAT IS BAD" mentality it is really tough believing that those good fats are GOOD!! LOL!!

erickloses15pounds 01-22-2010 06:14 AM

I try to stay away from Fats as much as possible and of course there are types of fats. The good fats that you want come from fish, chicken, nuts, etc.. Fish oil is my favorite, so I stick to real chicken for my omegas and I am satisfied. If you are on a diet, stay away from the bad stuff, saturated fats, and all the cholesterol.

Since I switched to vegetables and fish fillets, it's incredible how my stomach feels! It feels light, NEVER BLOATED, which means I am super confortable at the gym while running or lifting. It's awesome 100%. Before when I ate junk a lot, I would get there feeling "FULL" and sometimes not having energy. Now that I do cardio, I feel energetic all the time and I sweat a lot when lifting--I love it :P

showmenow 01-22-2010 06:39 AM

I completely agree with both of you. I don't eat over 1000cal/10g of fat a day. It is very easy to do when you eat a ton of vegetables. Filling and not many calories!

fkerekes 01-23-2010 07:28 PM

I've been watching my fat intake, trying to increase its proportion of my total calories while reducing protein. I've been low carb for a while, which has been very helpful in making me more aware of when I'm actually hungry, as opposed to hypoglycemic. Today I'm up to 65% fat, 25% protein, 10% carbs (~2000 calories total). Feeling great even though I'm at a calorie deficit, leaning out but completely satiated. Just got my lipid panel back this week, cholesterol numbers are perfect. I try to eat fatty (organic/grass-fed if possible) meats, lots of (omega-3) eggs, and plenty of (rBST-free) heavy cream in my morning coffee. I eat a big salad every day with plenty of olive oil-based dressing (barely sweetened with honey). I also take a concentrated fish oil supplement, vitamin D, and glucosamine.

Fat makes you full, research exonerating saturated fat is coming out daily, for example.

gointomexico 02-06-2010 06:29 PM

The only fat goals I have set is to keep my saturated fat content under 18%. My fat intake varies from 20-50% per day, but I only count calories.

kathietaylor 02-06-2010 06:40 PM

My saturated fats run at about 13% and I am working on getting that down to 10%, not an easy task! Because of my prediabetic condition it is not advised to go low carb and high protein/fat, it messes with the blood sugar levels too much. My overall fat runs around 30 - 40% and the goal is to get it down to 30 consistently. However, having said all that, I do want to enjoy my life and not spend every waking moment counting fat grams!!

edward18 02-06-2010 06:41 PM

I do watch my fat intake, but it's not something I make a conscious effort to manage. That's because when i eat the right foods and keep my calories below 1200-1400 my fat is always below 10g to maybe 20g at the most.

I do use only nonfat food items when there's a choice available (yogurt, skim milk, salad dressings, etc.)