Community
Notices

Hello everyone

Old 10-24-2010, 05:26 PM
FitDay Member

Default Hello everyone

I'm new to this site so I'm hoping this can help me out. It say I'm in the high over weight area so I think it's time to lose some weight. I'm 195lb 5'8 and I'm trying to get down to 170lb. I'm 23 years old so I feel like I shouldn't be over weight this young. I was at 170lb three years ago or so and then I got into a comitted relationship and gained some pounds lol. Also have a young son so alot of people say its the simpathy weight? lol So if you guys and gals has any type please help me out Looking forward to see some great posts
Old 10-29-2010, 07:41 AM
FitDay Member

Default Welcome!

Welcome to fitday! I have never used the forums before today so this is somewhat new to me. I decided to post because I saw no one had replied to you and I wanted to encourage you. I am back on here after just a hit and miss game I've played at getting on here.
I started fitday in 2004 I believe, and when I use it...it helps. I have tried so many things, and this works. I fill out my foods, and I try to journal, at least a little every day. I can look back and see where I lost my weight almost six years ago, and I am frustrated with myself for not using this site all along. I am now 34 pounds heavier than I was when I stopped in '04...but I am 9 pounds lighter since using the site again.
Hang in there, and get use to using it. It's great!
Old 10-30-2010, 08:27 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome! I started early in Sept. and I am down 12 lbs. I use the food tracker religiously. It has really helped me be aware of what and how much I am eating. I need to get more exercise in. I still have 35 more lbs to go but I am encouraged by what I have seen and the support on the site.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:50 AM
FitDay Member

Hi--

I'm just starting again today myself. Besides having run slightly on the heavy side for most of my life (20-40 pounds) I now have the added joy of menopausal weight and stress-induced weight (elevated cortisol) which gets added around your waist. I used to have a waistline and a nice figure even with the extra pounds, so being at my current weight with the central distribution <g> is pretty aggravating.

Nothing changes until I change it....

Upping the veggies, cutting starches and sugars has worked for me in the past. On Fitday I count calories as well so it's sort of a double-check. This spring I lost 15 pounds in under two months and it wasn't that hard.

Best of luck!
Old 10-30-2010, 12:18 PM
FitDay Member

Good for you! Eating healthy really is the way to go and FitDay is a great tool for a check-in with yourself, not a diet. Best of luck and don't forget the exercise side of the equation.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:55 AM
FitDay Member

Default jennij64

Originally Posted by ronaldkoc
I'm new to this site so I'm hoping this can help me out. It say I'm in the high over weight area so I think it's time to lose some weight. I'm 195lb 5'8 and I'm trying to get down to 170lb. I'm 23 years old so I feel like I shouldn't be over weight this young. I was at 170lb three years ago or so and then I got into a comitted relationship and gained some pounds lol. Also have a young son so alot of people say its the simpathy weight? lol So if you guys and gals has any type please help me out Looking forward to see some great posts
To initially get the weight loss moving stop eating Carbohydrates. You get sufficient carbs from raw/steamed vegetables. It worked for me.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:29 AM
FitDay Member

Here is what has worked for me.
* Exercise more - If you have been a couch potatoe just getting out for a walk several times a week can help boost your metabolism. If you are already active try to increase your intensity instead of just the time you spend exercising. Weight lift if you have the physical ability and resources.
* Stop drinking your calories - Soda, and alcohol carry an enourmous amount of calories with no or little nutritional value. If you can't quit cold turkey at least work on cutting back substantially.
* Limit Simple carbohydrates - White bread, sugar and processed foods digest quickly (15 minutes). If your body's glycogen supplies are not low all the calories get stored immediatly to fat. Complex carbs (like vegetables, whole wheat/grain products) take longer to digest (mostly due to the fiber) giving your body a chance to burn off some of your energy supply before it is replenished.
* Eat enough protein - During dieting your body will catabolize muscle even when it has fat stores aplenty. Protein is the only nutrient that can build and repair muscle. Since muscle is the driving force behind your metabolism the more you have the more calories your body will burn. This is also why it is important to add weight training to your execise regimen. I try to keep my protein intake at 30% if my calories but you may need to find the percentage that is right for you.

Good luck!!