The Healthy Community

Community
Notices
Like Tree1Likes

The Healthy Community

Old 01-21-2010, 03:47 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by dbrinkley80
Sorry for the repost from the 100lb club thread, I got excited! I just bummed my friend's scale, and I'm down 10 pounds from my start goal to put me at an even 300! So that means 20 pounds to my first goal of 280! Its very motivating! I thought my jeans fit looser- I was just attributing it to not having washed them yet.
Way to go!! Just wait until you have to start getting smaller clothes. Nothing feels better than that. Keep up the good work. It really does get easier and then you don't WANT to eat and ruin the progress that you have made.

I was so lucky that all of my family and friends were smaller than me. They packed up literally bags and bags of clothes and gave me. I have gone from a size 32W to a 12 just this week. That is a BUNCH of sizes to go through. I would have spent a fortune if I would've had to buy clothes along the way.

I was so excited this week. I was out and decided to try on some 12's - you know just to see if they would fit LOL. When they did I was jumping for joy. The person in the next fitting room over probably wondered what the hell was going on Needless to say I just had to buy them. I think I am pretty much on my own from here on out on the clothes. I don't think any of my friends are smaller than a 14!
Old 01-21-2010, 06:11 PM
FitDay Member

dbrinkley (Diane, I think?) Way to GO!! That is so excellent! There is nothing better than seeing some success.

showmenow...to go from a 32W to a 12!! Wow, fantastic!! You are a true inspiration!

Jennifer, do you eat veggies and fresh fruit? There was none on your list, but maybe you have a pile of them in your wraps? Generally your fat intake should be between 35 - 50 grams, and mostly be the healthy fats. If I figure out HOW to do that myself I will let you know!! LOL!!

My calorie intake was too low today...which is so bad!! I need to take a day and do some serious meal planning. I have slid on the water intake as well, that is a hard one for me. I don't mind some crystal light sometimes but aspertame is supposed to be really unhealthy.

Do any of you have tricks you use to get those 6 - 8 glasses of water down??
Old 01-22-2010, 01:07 AM
FitDay Member

Hey Kathie, (and, yes, its Diane ) thank you for the salutations! I wish I had a trick for the water, I just drink it. I'm one of those freaks that doesn't mind water. I spend my mornings drinking black coffee-its my vice- and then switch over to water. I have these awesome 16-20 ounce cups from college and I just fill one up, drink it, and start over. I know some of my friends that have problems drinking water will put lemon or lime in her water. There's actually a product called True Lemon/Lime that sells it in little packets by the box that she will use. I have some friends that will only drink really really cold water. It seems like everyone has their own style when it comes to water!

As far as suggestions on fat intake, I'm surprised at how low I manage to keep it without really any effort. I'm living on mainly fruits and veggies, I suppose, but I have yogurt with breakfast, a sandwich, either turkey or ham, at lunch, and always a protein at dinner. So yeah, I guess what's working for me, that may or may not work for others, is I fill up mainly fresh, raw, fruit and foliage and it leaves me less room for other things. I also eat as lean as possible with my meats, trim off all the visible fat, buy the super lean hamburger, stuff like that. You have to watch the sodium, but pork is naturally low fat.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:03 AM
FitDay Member

Hi ladies! I'm on a health kick as well as my fiance, we both started with the new year. I'm a guy, 39 yo, 5'10", and started at 205 pounds and am now at 193. This is overweight for me as I was super skinny most of my life, 28-30 waist and only 125 pounds when I joined the Army! :-O I used to have a six-pack, and now I have a pony keg! I'm working on getting that six-pack again.

I've been using fitday to log my activities and food intake and try to keep a 500-1000 calorie deficit per day. My fiance has lost 9 pounds so far. We joined a gym together, 24-hour fitness has 2-year memberships at Costco for $300, which puts it at $12.50 per month, for all-club Sport level or below. Anyway, my biggest excuse before was that I didn't have time to work out, but with a gym only 5 minutes from the house, we both go before work everyday. I'm using a personal training to kickstart good habits, and am working out one hour a day, seven days a week. I do strength training 3 days, followed by 30 minutes of cardio, and then I do 2 days of cardio only (1 hour), and for my 2 days "off" per week, I do an hour of Yoga, which is a free class offered by the gym.

I like that I'm eating healthier now. Adding more fresh fruits and vegetables is something I've always wanted to do but never really did. When I used to go grocery shopping, I would only get bananas from the produce section, and then head to the frozen foods! (ugh!) Now, we are very selective in what we eat. For instance, I saw someone mention rice earlier, and I wanted to mention that Quinoa is a great substitute for that! :-P Also, we have wraps on wheat tortillas with deli meat and cheese. Lots of little (healthy) snacks around and trying to eat five small meals per day rather than three big ones.

I'm always looking for more recipe ideas, and to hear success stories to remind me to stay the course!

Well, I'm just getting started in my quest to be healthier, so I'm sure you'll see lots more of me on here. I guess that's all about me, what is everyone else's story? How far in your quest are you?
Old 01-22-2010, 03:09 AM
FitDay Member

Hello all,

Way to go Diane, it is a GREAT feeling!! Yay!

Jennifer, I think with all your lifestyle changes, including the change of job, and the fact you are tracking your food, will all work towards helping you lose weight, for sure!!! Eating healthy is one thing, but I think we have to watch the combination of Carb/Protein/Fat. I am aiming for 40%-30%-30% each day, and watching the calories too. My fat tends to be high. Choose foods that that will boost what needs to be boosted (ie always protein for me), and lower what needs to be lowered (carbs and especially fat for me). I think we need fat, but I find it skyrockets really quickly for me. That is what I love about this system, it really keeps me accountable. And keeping an eye on the nutrition too. If we don't give our body all the nutrition it needs, it won't work properly to burn the excess fat. That is my spin on it, and what I am striving for!

Someone (daveh?) said in another thread regarding 'Success Stories' that you almost have to become obsessed with tracking food. I am there, being very diligent with this, and looking at the graphs to see where I am at helps so much. I am looking at the breakdown of foods, and making the adjustments I need to strike a better balance of Carbs/Protein/Fat.

I am having a hard time kicking my exercise up a notch. I am walking, but not jogging or really doing any serious cardio workouts. In the past, I have done step aerobics, which left me feeling like I was going to keel over. But I did lost weight when I did this. I don't feel like I am a lazy person, but I really don't like working out!! Yet I feel this is necessary for weight loss and good health...or is it? Maybe brisk walking is enough...? Maybe once I drop some pounds initially, working out harder will be more enjoyable when I am a little lighter? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Hang in there everyone, and have a super day!
Old 01-22-2010, 04:02 AM
FitDay Member

hey Shell, I can tell you from past experience that walking briskly will do the trick, as long as you continue to challenge yourself. When I did my "get healthy" program in the spring and summer I walked and did Callanetics (which is a combination of ballet and yoga movements). The Callanetics were fantastic for reshaping your body. My waist shrunk unbelievably using this program. Too bad I didn't stick to it!! Imagine where I would be today if I had???

Now, to get myself motivated to start again with the exercise!!!

Hope everyone has a very successful day today!
Old 01-22-2010, 05:09 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Kathie, Thanks for the words of encouragement. If anything, I need to kick up my walking pace. There is no good reason I can't do that today. I do remember that a good sweat feels great, does wonders for mood, increasing energy, diffusing stress..and of course burning fat too, and heart health. Plus, after exercising I don't feel like eating as much. (Enough self-talk! lol) Rrrgh, feeling a little frustrated with myself in this department, but moving forward...!

Hi Doggie, Welcome!! Thanks for sharing your story. I currently weigh 246 lb, 40-ish, 5'10", female, and just started 2 weeks ago. I have lost 2 lb. My weight has been up and down over the years, although I have never been 'skinny'. And now I am at an all time high. My goal is to be back down to 200 lb by the end of June, and will set another goal after that. My husband is also doing this with me, which helps alot. I don't know how much he has lost, but he has lost weight because his 'Pony Keg' is looking less inflated...lol..! He is not weighing himself. He has a very active job, so the change in diet has done wonders for him.

I am still a little confused with the calories. Definitely being conscience of the deficit stats, and maintaining a deficit everyday. And I also bumped DOWN my base metabolism number a little bit, just to be sure.

I am struggling with exercise, as I have been griping about here. But giving myself a firm talking to today, and a kick in the butt.

I like that I'm eating healthier now too. We are much more selective with what we buy too, and we splurge on really good healthy foods, more fresh veggies, and try new recipes, instead of eating out so much. Yes, Quinoa is delicious!!! Love to try new things. Really enjoying learning about nutrition and find my stats really interesting to monitor. I have been frequenting these forums alot (maybe a little too much...), and people here have really kept me motivated too.

Thanks for being here everyone!
Old 01-22-2010, 05:13 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by showmenow
Hi Kathie- I have found the absolutely best fat free muffin mix! It is made by Krusteaz. They have blueberry, orange cranberry and something else. I make them all the time and put them in the freezer. I swear you will not be able to tell they are fat free- really moist and good. All you have to do is add water. Even my kids love them. I never told them they are fat free

You can get on their website and find a place near you that carries them. If you don't have a place, let me know and I will ship you some. I run my own business so I am shipping stuff daily!

Deanna
What's the name of them? I would like to get some.

I do eat fruits and veggies as often as possible... not as much as I need to be.

I was so discouraged for lthe past two days because I thought I weighed under 215 and yet I got on the scale (walked to Publix to check just for a starting reference) I weighed 218! And that was 4 days into my diet! I wanted to give up and throw in the towel right then... BUT didn't. Well, I walked to Publix this morning to check my weight I am at 214.5! So, I am apparently doing SOMETHING right!

Shell, With the whole exercise thing... I've found that the more I do it the easier it becomes AND I find that if I have someone to do it with I push myself more! Even if it's just a walking buddy... It causes me to push myself more. Because on the days I simply just don't want to go on a walk, or go to the Fitness Center, or what have you... if I have made plans with someone to do it I HAVE to do it no matter how I feel because they are counting in me to go with them.

Last edited by JenniferAld; 01-22-2010 at 05:15 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:39 AM
FitDay Member

Jennifer (and anyone else)-Here is a link to the muffin mix. I see that they also have ff Cornbread too! If you look on the left hand side there is a tab that says "Where to buy" and you can see if there is a place close to you. If there isn't - let me know and I can send you some. You will love it!

Continental Mills - Muffin, Quick Bread & Crumb Cake Mixes
Marjan Ferdous likes this.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:46 AM
FitDay Member

There are no stores that carry it even within 20 miles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.