FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   The Healthy Community (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/222-healthy-community.html)

JenniferAld 01-27-2010 02:16 AM

This thread is slowing down... :rolleyes:

I didn't mean to but I ended up staying at like 1,300 calories yesterday... Including my subway meal. I had one of their Low Carb subs and it was under 400 calories... but then I got the chips (baked lays) which put me a little over 500 calories for dinner. But still! It tasted SOOOO good. In fact I am gonna walk there again today to eat it again. It's my day off so I need some good walking time.

You know, now that I'm getting the hang of staying under 1,500 calories it's not as hard as I thought it was. Ya' know?

dbrinkley80 01-27-2010 02:42 AM

I feel the same way, Jennifer. On both counts! I'm a little worried by the lack of activity on here. I'm hoping that everyone's just busy getting out there and getting active. I post on the 100lb club thread, too, and no one's posted anything in a week now. I put something up yesterday asking if folks were alright, because it worries me.

I'm also having an easier time keeping my calories in check. It used to be a struggle to keep things under 1800-1900, and now I start getting frustrated when I creep up to the 1400 cal mark. I'm so much more comfortable in my new eating patterns. I have to think less about making the effort, which makes me really happy. I also feel less deprived and tempted to go nuts, which I've never experienced in my long sordid weight loss attempt history. I like it!! :D

Now I just need to master the exercise thing. I still feel like I'm obsessed with this whole thing, and I haven't determined if that's a bad thing or not, but seeing as its working, I don't think I'm going to complain yet.

How are you all doing??

JenniferAld 01-27-2010 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by dbrinkley80 (Post 1945)
I still feel like I'm obsessed with this whole thing, and I haven't determined if that's a bad thing or not, but seeing as its working, I don't think I'm going to complain yet.

I am the same way. I'm a bit obsessed with everything as well... But honestly, I think it's a good thing to be a tad bit obsessed (at least for me) because when I start to relax on it I start to relax on my diet as well. Which as history shows, when I start to relax on my diet I end up giving up.

When does exercise become easier? Doesn't it release endorphins in your system or something? Or am I just making that up?!?

dbrinkley80 01-27-2010 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by JenniferAld (Post 1947)
When does exercise become easier? Doesn't it release endorphins in your system or something? Or am I just making that up?!?

Oh, it definitely does! I feel great for the rest of the day after I exercise. For me, it starts to kick in usually during the cool down. Which is why I can't figure out for the life of me why its so hard to get it in gear! I know when the "girl stuff" gets really bad I have to take the day off, but other than that, I have no good reason.

My best friend thinks I'm nuts because I say that I am in a much better mood and have so much more energy when I exercise, because she says it does the opposite for her, it makes her more tired. From everything I've studied, and heard people say, and through personal experience, exercise is the best thing for stress relief, mood and energy.

Maybe I just need to set a challenge for myself, I seem to do better with a goal in mind. Accountability really works wonders for me! We could always try and set up a challenge on here. See how many people can stick to a goal they set for themselves each week. Like, I really want to be exercising every day. Which means, I should get on here everyday and report in about whether or not I exercised that day! I really need to stop being lazy!

dbrinkley80 01-27-2010 03:29 AM

Oh yeah, I don't know when or if it really becomes easier. Because you always have to be challenging yourself and upping the intensity. I think it just has to become habit and part of your daily routine, just like the changes in eating habits.

showmenow 01-27-2010 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by dbrinkley80 (Post 1949)
Oh, it definitely does! I feel great for the rest of the day after I exercise. For me, it starts to kick in usually during the cool down. Which is why I can't figure out for the life of me why its so hard to get it in gear! I know when the "girl stuff" gets really bad I have to take the day off, but other than that, I have no good reason.

My best friend thinks I'm nuts because I say that I am in a much better mood and have so much more energy when I exercise, because she says it does the opposite for her, it makes her more tired. From everything I've studied, and heard people say, and through personal experience, exercise is the best thing for stress relief, mood and energy.

Maybe I just need to set a challenge for myself, I seem to do better with a goal in mind. Accountability really works wonders for me! We could always try and set up a challenge on here. See how many people can stick to a goal they set for themselves each week. Like, I really want to be exercising every day. Which means, I should get on here everyday and report in about whether or not I exercised that day! I really need to stop being lazy!

LOL- now I don't need to write anything! You said exactly what I wanted to say. I got up this morning and walked 2 miles on the treadmill and I feel great. If only I could make myself do it every morning. Diane- let's do it! Commit ourself to exercising if only a bit every day. I will post tomorrow morning AFTER I am done. Hope to see you doing the same :)

Deanna

kathietaylor 01-27-2010 04:01 AM

Hello, my friends!

yesterday my internet was misbehaving and I could not get fitday to load!! It was so frustrating! I continue to do well with the food intake, however...I had a 3 pound weight gain in 2 days!! I mean WTF was THAT???? I have put it down to fluid retention, because this morning I am down 2 pounds from yesterday....but wow, the fluctuations are kind of extreme...and a little disheartening too. I know I shouldn't get on that scale daily, but I can't stop myself. I won't count the ups and downs during the week until Friday's weigh in.

I woke up today feeling crappy, no reason that I can think of other than a shortage of sleep perhaps. I don't know if I will make the treadmill today, not unless I can shake this fatigue I am feeling.

Sounds like Jen and Dianne are doing splendidly! Oh and it is 3500 calories to a pound...so 1000 calorie deficit per day should lead to a 2 pound weight loss per week...in theory. Judging from my own experience there are obviously other factors involved, because I am running with about 1000 to 1300 calorie deficit a day, and managed to show a 3 pound weight GAIN! Go figure.

showmenow 01-27-2010 04:23 AM

I hate that! But at least you KNOW it is fluid. There is no way you could have actually gained that weight in that short amount of time. The way I look at it is- hey I am going to be a couple pounds lighter in a few days when I am no longer retaining water LOL.

I went out to dinner with a couple of friends last night. We haven't gone out in about a year and had a blast. The waitress came and asked what we wanted to drink and one friend ordered a beer. The waitress looked at me and my friend said- no she won't drink one, she is healthy! She went on to tell the waitress how much I have lost etc. The waitress was absolutely wonderful! I ordered a grilled chicken breast and she told me it came with some kind of sauce on it that I probably wouldn't want. Then I ordered a side salad and she told me it came with cheese and bacon- did I want it left off? I told her yes and she said she would have them add extra veggies instead.

I ended up having a dinner just like I would have cooked at home (without all the extra stuff). It was great. I always kind of freak out when I have to eat out and it has been over a year now. I usually prefer to just eat at home. I am so commited to this weight loss that I really have a problem eating food that I have not prepared because I don't know what is in it. I even take my own salad dressing when I eat out. I know that is so weird but most restaurants don't usually have fat free dressing. They have light (which is just about as bad as regular in my opinion). So I know that if there is nothing else on the menu to order I can always get a salad and have my own dressing.

I have to say that most restaurants are very accomodating if you ask though. Believe me, I have learned to ask! Do you guys eat out very much?

need2losen2010 01-27-2010 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by dbrinkley80 (Post 1949)

Hello;
I like the idea of an exercise challenge. How about it? Commit to an activity for at least 20 min. 5 x a week. Then post if we've met the goal . I too know if I get on the treadmill I do feel so much better. But sometimes it's hard to take the first step. If I say I'll do 10 min. once I start , then it's 10 more, & usually another 10. Just have to get past that first step.

dbrinkley80 01-27-2010 05:00 AM

I don't eat out a lot, but that's more because I'm broke right now than anything else. We did eat out in December for my mother in law's birthday, and my dinner came with a salad. The waitress looked at me like I was crazy when I said I didn't need a dressing. She said she wished she could do that. I really enjoy the flavor of the veggies by themselves! In fact, I just got finished eating a spincach salad as part of my lunch, with no dressing, and it was awesome!

Anyway, if I know I'm going out, I just make adjustments for the earlier part of my day, and I feel like I can really trust myself to make good decisions now. I splurge every now and then, I'd say about once or twice a week, but other than that, I find myself not really wanting the junk anymore.