Notices
Like Tree1Likes

The Healthy Community

Old 02-02-2010, 01:53 PM
FitDay Member

Hello again,

It can be frustrating, and is easy to slip back into old, comfortable habits. I think it takes alot of time and practice to make the new habits feel natural. Believe me, I want to see weight loss right now-all of it, gone today! I get so impatient. But I think the goal has to be slow and steady, for permanent weight loss and to see a permanent change in eating habits.

Food is an emotional crutch for me. Yes, a difficult (but not impossible!) habit to break. Food represents celebration for me, socializing, happy times - but I also lean on it when I am bored, sad or tired. So am I attempting to fill whatever 'void' there is inside me with food? What is it that I am missing? I keep asking myself this question, and coming up with ideas to nourish myself (but not via the stomach!). Trying to sort through some thoughts.

Like Cassie said, getting mad at the weight does help. I believe I hit rock bottom, and am just so sick and tired of this excess weight and my lazy crappy eating habits! Someone wrote in the `Success`section - you have to want this more than anything. I do.

Hang in there Jennifer, we CAN do this!! There will be bumps in the road, but nothing that we cannot get past.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Default My Favorite Motivational Quote

I don't recall where I read this...it may have been on this site. Anyway, my apologies for not being able to credit it and kudos to whoever came up with it because it is excellent advice in managing weight as well as in all other areas of life:

"If you drop one egg, you don't say, "Oh shoot" and drop the other eleven do you?"

Good stuff!
Old 02-02-2010, 06:04 PM
FitDay Member

Cassie, that analogy made me laugh out loud!! Good one!! I think I did awesome today. Carbs at 44%, so for me that is really good, yesterday it was 67%.

I don't think I ever used food as an emotional crutch, cuz anytime I have had emotional stress I generally drop weight like crazy...I am an emotional starver. But I am definitely a bored eater, a social eater and I also just plain like food. I am trying hard to look at food as a way to health. I need to prevent diabetes and get my cholesterol down. It does help to remind myself that bad eating is seriously affecting my health negatively RIGHT NOW....not years from now!!

Don't wait until you are in my position people!! It is no fun to have no choice! Take control of your health!
Old 02-02-2010, 07:05 PM
FitDay Member

Hi all. well I've been here a week so I just wanted to introduce myself. I am 35. Like many of us, I have battled with my weight 'demons' my entire life. I weighed well over 400 pounds by the age of 15, before losing 220 pounds in just over a year and a half. Even though it was a struggle, I managed to maintain a pretty healthy weight of 180-190 pounds for nearly seven years. Unfortunately, I started gaining again by the time I reached my mid 20's.

Two weeks ago I ended up in the hospital a couple nights after suffering from all the classic heart attack symptoms. Luckily my test came back ok, but needless to say it was a big time wake up call. Most of my doctors have been pushing me towards some sort of weight loss surgery, like gastric bypass. but that is something I would like to avoid if possible. So I have decided to try one last time on my own to lose the weight.

Again, it's only two weeks, but so far I'm off to a good start. My calorie intake is around 1000-1200 a day and have been exercising regularly. I'm 6 foot tall and weigh 525 pounds (as of last Wednesday). My initial goal is to lose 50 lbs by the end of June. I know it will not be easy, but as my doctor so bluntly put it, if I don't make the commitment now, there's a good chance I wont be around to see 40. And besides all the health issues, I am just tired of feeling like crap all the time.

Anyway, I didn't mean to ramble on so long Love reading everyone's progress (the ups and downs) and all the success stories. I am truly pulling for everyone here. To echo what the last few posters said, do not let any one slip up get you down!

Last edited by edward18; 02-02-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:13 PM
FitDay Member

Wow Edward, thank you so much for sharing your story! You sound like you are in a similar circumstance as I am, insofar as you are having to do this to potentially save your life. I think our lives are worth saving!!! I realize my journey is a lot shorter than yours, but that doesn't make it any less important. We can hold each others hands thru this!! Anytime you are having a tough time, or you need a shoulder to cry on, or an audience to vent to, or even someone to share your success with...I will be here for you!! And I am sure our other thread members will be also!!
Old 02-03-2010, 12:04 AM
FitDay Member

Good Luck Kathie and Edward on your weight loss. Cassie - that is the best analogy! Funny how we are so hard on ourselves over weight and this put it in perspective.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:39 AM
FitDay Member

Hey All! Today is gonna be a wonderful day! Why? It's a new day! Haha

I got on the scale this morning and I am now 208.5 which is a relief because yesterday I was back up to 211! But yeah, I need to get of fitday and get on the treadmill before work.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:12 AM
FitDay Member

Great quote Cassie, isn't that the truth! Small slip ups do get to me, and I let them get me down more than I should. Gotta keep moving forward and never give up.

Welcome Edward! Thanks for sharing your story. I like reading through the success stories too, it is very motivating. And if they can do it, so can we! Why not? Tracking my food has been a big wake up call for me, just seeing what I eat when I slip up - which is how I used to eat all the time. From what I have read on the success stories section it is crucial to track everything, even slip ups. Don't worry about rambling on, just keep posting! I tend to ramble myself, but do find that typing and sharing really helps me to sort through my thoughts and struggles. My goal is to be down by +/-50 lb by the end of June too. My goal rate is approx 2 lb/week.

OK, so today I am putting forth the effort to do the best I can do TODAY! And positive results will folllow.

Wishing everyone an active and healthy Wednesday!

Way to go Jennifer! I find it amazing how weight can fluctuate from day to day - water retention maybe? Anyways, nice to see the numbers you want to see!

Last edited by Shell250; 02-03-2010 at 03:15 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:57 AM
FitDay Member

Default Thanks for the Inspiration

Hi,
My name is Mary. I'm so inspired by reading this blog. I've been struggling with my weight for years but I decided this year I really am going to "just do it!" I have set a goal of losing 35 -50 lbs. So far I have been trying to track my food intake and exercise for the last week. Wow, I'm surprised by how quickly the calories add up. One of you mentioned eating at 1500 per day. So far no matter how hard I try I end up at around 2000. Keep up the good work.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:11 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mandevil7
One of you mentioned eating at 1500 per day. So far no matter how hard I try I end up at around 2000. Keep up the good work.
Hey Mary! Welcome to the thread! I eat about 1,500 a day now (give or take) and it took me a while to get here. At first I couldn't keep it below 1,800 and then I got it down to 1,700 and now I have a hard time staying at 1,500! I promise if you give it some time it will happen. And once it happens a few times it becomes natural!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.