Notices

Calories consumed

Old 01-28-2010, 05:19 PM
FitDay Member

Im no expert but I try to follow the "Biggest Loser" rules and tips etc. After all, they should know what they´re doing! If you don´t want to buy any of the books (which I highly recommend though) you can take a look at this page for some guidelines:
'The Biggest Loser' Diet

If you want to lose weight in a more normal way so to speak you should eat around 2280 kcal a day. If you want to lose weight biggest loser style you should eat about 1950 kcal a day (and also exercise 4-6 hours a day!!!)

Good Luck
Old 01-29-2010, 09:54 PM
FitDay Member

Daily weigh-ins can be discouraging. YO-YOing drives everyone crazy.

Many years ago I read ...Weigh-in weekly and measure weekly. That has worked much better for me.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:52 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by kathietaylor
She also gave me crap for eating too few calories!! She says I should eat 1600, when I am eating between 1200 - 1400!! She says I am going to become exhausted both mentally and physically if I don't up my calorie intake AND my body will start burning muscle mass to make up for the deficit!!

I don't know what to make of that.
Well, I don't buy into the whole no adult should eat more than 2000 calories thing, but this last part about your caloric intake looks like good advice, Kathie.

Your body doesn't just burn muscle mass when it doesn't get enough fuel - it takes from your organs and bones, too! Your brain only runs on glucose - or ketone bodies as fuel (if it's forced to.) Ketone bodies are formed when your body is metabolizing protein for fuel because there aren't sufficient carbohydrate sources available. That protein will either come from your food or your body (or both.) It places stress on your body and is counter-productive to the stoked metabolism that will help you meet your goals.

If you're starting an exercise program, you might want to add a bit more (even if it's just a small apple sliced up and smeared with some lowfat peanut butter - an hour before you exercise.)
Old 01-30-2010, 03:09 AM
FitDay Member

Default What is your occupation?

If you're working in a strenuously active type of field, 3000 calories might be perfectly reasonable. Someone in the building trades, for example, would need more calories than an investment banker to get him through the day. That said, if the investment banker is otherwise very physically active outside of working hours - 3000 might be good for him, too.

Your height, weight, muscularity, usual activity level - all come into play when educated (I liked that you used that word) calorie level recommendations are made.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:51 AM
FitDay Member

I don't think that's correct. That means I should be eating 1800 for "maintenance" which would put me right back gaining weight again. Maintenance for me is 1400-1500, at 150 lbs. Something off about that equation.

I spent the last year at abobut 1500-1800, working out religiously with weights and cardio for 30 - 120 minutes almost every day, and didn't lose an ounce. Cut my cals back recently to 1200-1400, and I'm losing abot a half pound a week.

There are a lot of factors at work.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:21 AM
FitDay Member

Kathie;
I found this post, & it struck a chord, as well as someone else had posted the Biggest Loser diet. It appears that for my weight I should have between 1540-18000 calories a day !!! Wow! That seems like alot, but it does make my 950-1050 seem really low. So I'll spend some time trying to find a healthy balance that works, praying that I don't gain. Maybe I'll try for 1200-1500, & see what happens.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:46 PM
FitDay Member

Well I am now eating closer to 1400 calories a day, the 1200 was just too low for the long term, and I stopped losing weight on the 1200 too! So this week will tell me whether the higher calories is a better plan.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:31 PM
FitDay Member

Default confused about amount of calories I should be eating

I am so glad I stumbled upon this posting. I am so confused too. I have used this site and another and each is telling me something different. I have not been able to lose a pound in over two months! I exercise 5-6 days a week, for 30-50 minutes a day. I have been using the Biggest Loser dvd's, kickboxing dvd's, and the 30 Day Shred. I consume between 1200-1400 calories a day. NO loss. Can't figure it out. I am 5'4 and 182 pounds.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:30 AM
FitDay Member

What I like about fitday is that we can track exactly what we are eating over time and then see if we are losing at that calorie rate. As for me (female 253lbs .. 5'3") I want to eat as many calories as I can and still lose weight. I don't want to train my body to function on super-low calories. I started at 1800 calories/day and began to lose weight.
I say, focus less on what "experts" tell us is the correct amout of calories and focus more on being precise in tracking our own input/output of calories and adjusting accordingly. I bought a super-precise digital food scale ($30 Target) and weigh things to the gram. I've lost 12-lbs in 6 weeks, a very healthy rate. I exercise 200-300 calories a day.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:34 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by twisniewskikozak
I am so glad I stumbled upon this posting. I am so confused too. I have used this site and another and each is telling me something different. I have not been able to lose a pound in over two months! I exercise 5-6 days a week, for 30-50 minutes a day. I have been using the Biggest Loser dvd's, kickboxing dvd's, and the 30 Day Shred. I consume between 1200-1400 calories a day. NO loss. Can't figure it out. I am 5'4 and 182 pounds.
Keep up all that great exercise. I'm sure you are losing fat and gaining muscle which is keeping your numbers on the scale even. Don't be discouraged. Focus on how you feel and how clothes fit better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.