Notices

Holiday Helpline

Old 10-04-2010, 04:47 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by dan-anderson
I have no plans of staying "on track" on Christmas or Thanksgiving (or my birthday).

I should get 3 days a year without rules.
I'm the same way. But now that I'm maintaining, I hope that I can keep on track every day except those days...

As for Halloween, I shop with a list. If I have list, I'm usually not even looking at anything else so the candy doesn't even enter into my radar. Never mind the fact that I usually shop with 2 small children who are fighting the entire time so the faster I'm out of there the better, a candy stop would just result in total chaos! We also have dairy and gluten restrictions and most candy has that so it's a big no-no in our house anyway.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:58 AM
FitDay Member

Default The Canadian Thanksgiving is here....ahhhhhh

Hello all

For those of us that are Canadian the first major "nasty" holiday is upon us and I am a little nervous. I love Thanksgiving food so much and can already taste it. To prepare I am going to be extra vigilant in the next 2 days and I am going to make sure that I only have 1 helping and try to avoid the stuffing (though it is my favorite). Our second Thanksgiving meal I am cooking myself so I will have a little control over it and my plan of attack is too cook high fat foods that I don't like so I won't be tempted to eat them. Plus I figure all that work leading up to Thanksgiving ( i.e. cooking and cleaning the house) should burn some of those Thanksgiving calories...lol

Later
Andrea
Old 10-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Default Bumping this... for Halloween

I sort of have a plan in place.

1. I bought candy that is still considered "desirable" by the neighborhood rugrats, but which are not my particular favorites.

2. I hid it. Out of sight, out of mind; if that doesn't work, I'll have my son hide it so I won't know where it is.

3. Going to chew gum all night on Halloween...

4. Going to eat well on Halloween so I don't get the munchies.

5. Going to light candles so the foyer doesn't smell like chocolate (okay, that's silly, but I'm highly reactive to scents).

6. Going to enlist family support in staying away from the chocolate (even if it's not my favorite, anything looks good after a while).

7. When it gets late, give a bunch to the last few trick or treaters since I don't want it hanging around the house.

8. Have my son hide the haul he brings home. No one wants to beg a kid for a piece of their candy.

I'm still trying to decide whether to allow myself a couple pieces or not even go there. Whichever I decide, I'll employ #6. If I eat it, I'll log it and try to compensate.

Ideas? Hopefully I won't have to sit here Sunday night and do a running commentary of me arguing with myself!
Old 10-28-2010, 03:18 PM
FitDay Member

Sounds like a good plan Cassie. I told my hubby to take whatever is left to work the next day since anything food involved is gone within minutes at his office.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:06 AM
FitDay Member

On Thanksgiving, there is always a Turkey Trot around. If you are a walker/jogger/runner, its fun to get out Thanksgiving morning and do something physical. Its even more fun if you can get a group together to do it.

When I travel for Thanksgiving, I try to go for a long run on Thanksgiving morning before the cooking gets started. This way I have a little calorie deficit beforehand.

Exercise makes me feel better about myself and then I can face temptation easier.

I will also run on Christmas morning after opening gifts. It's calming and always interesting to see who is out as well.

Around here, there is usually a run on New Years Eve in the evening.

Since the holidays are not my routine days, I have to make sure to plan exercise and stick to the plan otherwise I end up just taking a nap.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator

I just think about how good I feel physically and mentally from eating healthy and being active and how sluggish and bloated I would get eating those foods I don't normally eat. Plus I like the way my clothes fit so eating all the extra crap isn't worth it to me.

Holidays are supposed to be a time to celebrate, not be an excuse to over eat! No way am I going to undo the hard work it took to get here!
Old 10-29-2010, 03:19 PM
FitDay Member

If there such a thing as a chocolate and peanut butter albatross, it's staring at me now. It is on my desk, looking at me, and calling my name. I am telling myself I just hit below 220 and have no intention of going back in the 220's. I then proceed to tell myself that I can definitely have the albatross. And then I tell myself that it's a slippery slope, since I not only have 1, but TWO of them, and I really don't want to eat two of them in one sitting.
My mother sent me a Happy Halloween box, and sent some gummy candy and 3 pieces of chocolate (this is quite reasonable, and I appreciate that she didn't send any more, since she knows I'm working on being healthy). But she could've sent me 25 "fun-size" Hershey bars and I wouldn't have any issue eating them slowly in moderation over 2 months. It's these 2 damn Reese's cups that are making me crazy.
I do not obsess over any food other than these stupid things. I'm writing this out to make myself laugh, put perspective on the albatross, and to get it off my chest so I can move on with my life!
I have not had Reese's in my home for over a year, and this is why!
On a slightly more serious note (not too much more serious, though), this is really the first time I've had one of my 'trigger' foods staring at me and fully accessible in my house since I started this journey. I know that I can actually eat just one and that there really is nothing bad about eating some candy here and there - I think it just spurred up some old feelings (I used to binge on those mini Reese's many many moons ago) and made me think of some old bad habits.
Maybe this albatross...is just a piece of candy to be enjoyed later.
Thanks for the space to vent.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quick, unwrap them and throw them in the trash! It will take you one step closer to your goal!
Old 10-31-2010, 05:35 AM
FitDay Member

Lol, it's all good - I just wanted to make sure that when I do eat one, it's because I've allotted for it in my day and I enjoy it - not because of some crazy feeling. Btw - I still haven't eaten either of them, taha.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:16 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by changeisgood29
Lol, it's all good - I just wanted to make sure that when I do eat one, it's because I've allotted for it in my day and I enjoy it - not because of some crazy feeling. Btw - I still haven't eaten either of them, taha.
I'm very proud of you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.