FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   Exceptions (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/2033-exceptions.html)

linusfuller 09-22-2010 01:48 AM

Exceptions

Has anyone else had a problem with convincing yourself that you make exceptions to the rules. Such as, "Well, I worked out really hard today and didn't record it today, so I'll just not add that extra snack I had." Then one snack uncounted leads to another for that day, all-the-while making mental, but non-existant, exceptions about yourself? I keep catching myself doing that and need a little support.

snafuken 09-22-2010 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by linusfuller (Post 21573)
Has anyone else had a problem with convincing yourself that you make exceptions to the rules. Such as, "Well, I worked out really hard today and didn't record it today, so I'll just not add that extra snack I had." Then one snack uncounted leads to another for that day, all-the-while making mental, but non-existant, exceptions about yourself? I keep catching myself doing that and need a little support.

You are just fooling yourself.Recording everything will keep you motivated and grounded.
Personally I couldn't believe how many calories I was consuming until I started to record everything.(Denial ????)
Just do it.

brandismom1990 09-22-2010 03:47 AM

Everyone struggles with this. But it is the slippery slope you will hate yourself for if you lose the weight like I did (83 lbs) then gain 60 of it back.

I met with my therapist/life coach and said "but all that monitoring and organizing didn't work, it was too hard to maintain for a lifetime." And he replied "but it DID work. You just decided for whatever reason, that is wasn't a priority.

He reminded me that I have to accept that I am wired differently from other people who can have a "normal" relationship with food. It will take YEARS of undoing my conditioned response to food. Until I can, I have to have a plan and stick to it -- no excuses.

Be kind to yourself about it though. You didn't ASK to have this messed up relationship with food that our society, our culture, our families condition us to. And now you have to deal with the consequences.

THat deserves a lot of self-forgiveness. And once you've forgiven yourself for it, you have to make a promise to yourself that you will keep. ANd that promise is logging your food, watching your calories, putting in the exercise and drinking the water. Whatever your food plan, that's what you have to do and probably will for a lifetime -- just like brushing your teeth and going to work. You didn't ask for it, but it is your reality. So bless yourself for recogining it and reward yourself for taking on the challenge!

Good luck.

vsabino 09-22-2010 04:17 AM

I tend to think I can make exeptions too.... Until I get on the scale the week after and I GAINED weight, that stops me for at least the following 2-3 weeks...
This week I gained 1.5 pounds (because of "exeptions"...) and it will take another week to get rid of it, which means 2 weeks lost, plus another 2 weeks to catch up... That's a month! My suggestion is decide how many calories you are going to eat that day regardless, and stick to it!

Hunny24 09-30-2010 01:58 AM

Great topic. I totally feel the same way. Have been on track for almost two months now and over the past week decided that I can just eat whatever I want and overdid it. Of course weighted myself this morning and was 3 pounds heavier. Sucks but know it was my fault and if I can put it on, I can work hard to take it off again. I am not going to even weight myself this Monday like I normally do...just will work hard, eat right and get back on track. I have at least been exercising and not cut that out. So at least have that going for me. Stay strong, know we all fall behind but get back on the horse and start again. Good luck!

brandismom1990 09-30-2010 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by ptguy1975 (Post 22076)
Great advice brandismom1990! Although it is important to NOT make excuses as they will lead to an “excuse-overload”, you do need to be kind to yourself. Also, remember to reward yourself for the hard work and efforts towards weight loss and a healthier lifestyle – but let these be healthy rewards! A nice massage or a trip to a spa may a few ideas to help you push past those excuses.

Thanks PTGUY -- I really am struggling myself to find my way back to optimum fitness. And that's not MILITANT fitness I discovered. It has to be more about really loving myself enough to distinguish the short-term "comfort" of food from real, abiding love and comforting myself with a health body. That's how I realize my "excuses" are simply my immediate craving talking, not my REAL kindness to myself.

BTW -- saw you are in Westlake -- which is the ONLY place in California I'd ever want to live besides SanFran. I love it up there. Spent four weeks there on business once and had a great time running, working out, eating - amazing scenery with a really healthy attitude that seems to permeate the entire city.

linusfuller 09-30-2010 09:42 PM

Thankyou every body for your support. After trying tyhe water thing, It really does work!! Thankyou all again!

dan-anderson 10-01-2010 04:00 AM

>drink a full 8-oz glass of water when you feel the temptation to snack.

And, if you have a Whole Foods available - you can get "Metromint" chocolate mint water - which, IMO, tastes exactly like chocolate mint girl scout cookies, but is 0 calories and 0 sweetners.

It's a bit expensive, but it makes a great treat!