Notices

Vitamin B12 for weight loss?

Old 09-12-2010, 11:04 PM
FitDay Member

Cool Vitamin B12 for weight loss?

Hi wonderful community of fitday!
Does anyone have any experience with taking vitamin B12 supplements and noticing-not noticing weight loss?
The scientific studies don't support this, but in theory B12 helps metabolizing the food we eat. The issues are two-fold: 1. We don't absorb the one from supplement very well; 2. we may be excreting the excess we take.
But some people do report some weight loss, or at least it makes you feel more energetic so you move more (and lose more).

I'm trying to take daily supplement to see if they can help my weight loss, but I was really curious to see whether someone had tried them and had any tips?

Happy Monday everyone!
Old 09-13-2010, 01:20 AM
FitDay Member

I posted something similar in the Women's Only section regarding B6. I noticed that I was losing weight more quickly on B6 than when I didn't take it. I believe some weight loss clinics actually give shots of B vitamins for their patients / clients.

For me this was only temporary, but I managed to lose a good 5 to 10 lb more easily (I had a total of about 20 lb to lose). I still take a B complex for multiple reasons, but one is (as stated on the bottle) it helps metabolize fat and carbs and my doctor has given me the OK. Another is that it helps with my mood so I'm more likely to get up and move. My doc also suggested that the B complex is likely more useful than just one B vitamin.

My theory is that I was deficient in some B vitamins, so my body wasn't performing at it's peak, and once I was back up to where I should be, they didn't help much any more.

I can't provide any science, but I can provide a bit of my own experience. I hope that helps!
Old 09-13-2010, 01:38 AM
FitDay Member

I actually take complex B vitamins to help with my dry skin. I get those cracks in all my fingers and toes, and it's very painful. I talked it over with my doctor, and I goop them up with 100% pure lanolin 2-3x daily and take a B vitamin supplement everyday. There have been a couple of times when I ran out and went without them for a week or so and my hands cracked all over, it was horrible so now I buy bulk and don't run out. Last winter my dad had a crack in his thumb that wouldn't heal, It was almost and inch long and he had it for months, so finally I went out and got him a jug of B complex, and guess what? 2 weeks later he was healed up, coincidence? I don't think so. Can't say about the weight loss though, I've been taking them for years and until recently I was morbidly obese.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:11 PM
FitDay Member

Ok thanks for your replies! I guess it cannot hurt to try then!
Old 09-13-2010, 11:59 PM
FitDay Member

I saw on Dr. Oz yesterday that vitamin B is good for weight loss. Can't remember why, but that's what he said.

Looked on his site and found this video: The Benefits of Vitamin B | The Dr. Oz Show
Old 09-20-2010, 05:15 AM
FitDay Member

I use a liquid B Complex vitamin i think that it works
Old 09-21-2010, 03:58 AM
FitDay Member

I take B-Complex for a variety of health reasons. Can't say I've lost any weight since I began taking it though.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:07 AM
FitDay Member

I take B6 and a B complex (as per dr) because of being Gluten Free. It has helped me with energy, feeling good and weight.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:05 AM
FitDay Member

I notice a big difference in everyday living taking B12 and B6.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:53 AM
FitDay Member

I tend to take a "5 hour energy" a couple times a week before going to work out.

It's more or less a large B vitamin.

It gets me to the gym - so I guess it helps with weight loss.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.