FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   Diet pills anyone? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/1934-diet-pills-anyone.html)

ninakretina 09-07-2010 12:35 AM

Diet pills anyone?
 
I'm quite skeptical when it comes to diet pills or any "weight loss" supplement of those sorts, but I wonder if anyone takes any dietary pill and how has it worked for you. Right now I'm taking Alli which was prescribed by my doctor, but I'm considering to stop taking them because they work mostly if you have high fat intakes, which is something I'm avoiding with my diet. Besides some studies have shown that Alli may cause liver damage. I have a friend who lost 60 pounds by taking LipoFuze and never had side effects, seems tempting but as I said I'm skeptical. Any weight loss story regarding pills or supplements? :confused:

mecompco 09-07-2010 01:11 AM

Really, save your money. Fitday and a little self-control until your new habits are established are all you really need. It's basic math--burn more calories than you take in and you will lose weight. Take in more than you burn and you will gain weight. Period.

I've tried various pills, potions, and fad diets in the past and the only thing that really works is tracking food intake on Fitday. Good luck!

Michael

almeeker 09-07-2010 01:19 AM

Ditto, I've tried most of them and none of them work anywhere as well as following a healthy low-cal diet and exercise.

vsabino 09-07-2010 02:03 AM

Agree. The only ones which kinda work (at least in the short term) are the dangerous ones (ephedra-like) but the risk is not worth the benefits.
Tried Alli, but like you I wasn't having much fat in my diet so I quit.

160to125 09-08-2010 07:35 PM

Ive tried a lot- ephedrine based gave me panic attacks and limited results, and non ephedrine based just didnt work! Even Hoodia disappointed... Ive got to agree with everyone above- your own willpower and determination is the best diet pill you'll ever have!

Having said that Ive recently ordered some Capsiplex and will report on their effectiveness when I get them- supposedly they help you burn extra 300kcals per workout! But like I say, I'll update you on results- these were the ones that seemed more promising than others to me anyway...

01gt4.6 09-08-2010 07:40 PM

I take Adderall... does that count? lol

Lizzycritter 09-09-2010 12:39 AM

My personal opinion is unless you have a documented metabolic problem like diabetes or hypothyroidism, diet and exercise is enough. The pills are a crutch, you don't need them. They might speed up the process, but are you going to take them forever? What happens when you stop?

For me 1 to 2 cups of coffee in the morning helps to control my appetite as effectively as any of the pills I've tried, but without the jittery feeling. If you read the bottles, most of them are just vitamins and caffeine anyway.

reprise 09-09-2010 05:02 PM


Originally Posted by 160to125 (Post 20565)
Ive tried a lot- ephedrine based gave me panic attacks and limited results, and non ephedrine based just didnt work! Even Hoodia disappointed... Ive got to agree with everyone above- your own willpower and determination is the best diet pill you'll ever have!

Having said that Ive recently ordered some Capsiplex and will report on their effectiveness when I get them- supposedly they help you burn extra 300kcals per workout! But like I say, I'll update you on results- these were the ones that seemed more promising than others to me anyway...

I used a home made ECA stack (ephedrine, caffeine, aspirin) years back when it was still a bit "fringe" and hadn't been packaged up and available in stores like GNC and before kids starting killing themselves on it. I can tell you it really did seem to work for me. However, the last time I tried something (some years ago, but years after the first time) I also felt panicky. I frankly think they are overall dangerous and I apply that to most of these chemicals.

Some of the chemical supplementation can work but the side effects are either obvious or possibly at the very least subtly nefarious. I do know that, so far, medical science has not struck on any silver bullet approach.

Still to this day you're basically looking at either a stomach stapling for severe weight loss or an adjustment to lifestyle (exercise and/or conscious diet changes).

Diet pills have a storied history of causing dependency. They are, at best, a temporary solution and one that sets the user up to likely failure. This includes all the rubbish ones like Sensa, which I now hear about all over tv/radio.

Spacklebaby 12-29-2010 12:35 PM

Chiming in late, but...

In addition to being fat (BMI of 37.8), I've been diagnosed as having Clinical Depression and ADD, so I'm taking 450mg of Wellbutrin and 60mg of Adderall. Both are known to cause at least some weight loss.

Anyhow, since the end of August, I've gone from 262 lbs to 237.8 lbs.

The "good" thing about the appetite suppressing effects of my meds is that I am much less likely to "graze" because I'm working at the computer, or watching tv, and end up bored.

My goal is to reach 115 lbs, which, from what I've been reading, is appropriate for my build.

RunbikeSki 12-29-2010 06:54 PM

One benefit?
 
I have found one of the few (if any) benefits the over the counter pills have is simply to remind me that I am watching what I eat. I have generally had a bit of a benefit in the first couple of weeks on almost any of them, which is probably just a placebo effect - but thats OK as long as I haven't bought one of those super expensive brands.

Since you have to keep the pills on hand, and usually take them at a prescibed time, it tends to keep one aware of your food choices and thus helps with making the right choices.

I have thought several time of just making up some geletin pills, putting them in a bottle marked "Super Diet Pills - use with caution" and seeing how effective they would be. ;)

mecompco 12-29-2010 07:16 PM


Originally Posted by RunbikeSki (Post 29737)
I have found one of the few (if any) benefits the over the counter pills have is simply to remind me that I am watching what I eat. I have generally had a bit of a benefit in the first couple of weeks on almost any of them, which is probably just a placebo effect - but thats OK as long as I haven't bought one of those super expensive brands.

Since you have to keep the pills on hand, and usually take them at a prescibed time, it tends to keep one aware of your food choices and thus helps with making the right choices.

I have thought several time of just making up some geletin pills, putting them in a bottle marked "Super Diet Pills - use with caution" and seeing how effective they would be. ;)

How true. I once lost over 70 pounds using some pills I bought from an infomercial. A year or two later I got an invitation to participate in a class action suit against the manufacturer for false claims--turns out the pills were worthless. Of course, part of their plan was to reduce food portion size and exercise at least 20 minutes a day. :D

shanay1323 12-29-2010 08:26 PM

WOW, I'm so happy for you... I just started and stoked about getting this weight off once and for all... I want to feel good and LOOK GOOD, lol... I'm sure you are feeling fantastic... I don't know what you look like but I'm guessing pretty GREAT... God Bless!

Cthebird 12-31-2010 12:19 AM

I can't take diet pills because I'm bipolar and take psychotropic meds. I have anxiety issues too so a diet pill would send me reeling or manic. I'm sure my psychiatrist wouldn't approve of Alli because of the liver issue plus I agree that my fat consumption isn't terribly signficant. I'm actually on a low carb diet. That's how I've lost 30 lbs in 5 months and lowered my cholesterol and triglycerides. During this time I have had mood episodes, but I can't blame the diet. I was already unstable before the diet.

looney76 12-31-2010 10:59 PM

Personally, I would save my money and go with eating clean and exercise. The side effects aren't worth the risk. Save your organs and do it the right way.

sarahmarievetrano 01-25-2011 03:03 PM

i'm taking oxy elite pro. it makes you a little jittery the first couple of mornings for about 15 minutes.. but it is the boost I needed to get out & exercise. i've tried all kinds of diet pills... none have ever worked for me.. but this one does give you a great deal of energy for work outs. one of my friends has lost about 40 pounds with the help of OEP so I decided to give it a try. Plus GNC will refund you if you don't like it or the results. DON'T EXPECT MIRACLE RESULTS b/c you have to combine with sensible eating plan. it's just the push I needed to get moving.

mecompco 01-25-2011 03:18 PM


Originally Posted by sarahmarievetrano (Post 33529)
i'm taking oxy elite pro. it makes you a little jittery the first couple of mornings for about 15 minutes.. but it is the boost I needed to get out & exercise. i've tried all kinds of diet pills... none have ever worked for me.. but this one does give you a great deal of energy for work outs. one of my friends has lost about 40 pounds with the help of OEP so I decided to give it a try. Plus GNC will refund you if you don't like it or the results. DON'T EXPECT MIRACLE RESULTS b/c you have to combine with sensible eating plan. it's just the push I needed to get moving.

Well, it's got 100 mg of caffiene in it, so I'm sure that helps a bit. And some fiber; also 2400 mg of sodium :eek: And a whole bunch of other stuff I've never heard of (what the heck is Titanium Dioxide?). But, it it works for you, that's great!

Serving Size 1 Capsule
Servings Per Container 90
Amount Per Serving % DV
Proprietary Blend 119.50 mg **
Bauhinia Purpurea L.(Leaf and Pod)(Standardized for Bauhniastatins 1-4) **
Cirsium Oligophyllum (Whole Plant Extract) Rauwolscine **
(Rauvolfia Canescens L Leaf and Root) **
Caffeine 100.00 mg **
** Daily Value (DV) not established
† Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on
your calorie needs:
Calories: 2000 2500
Total Fat Less than 65 g 80 g
Sat. Fat Less than 20 g 25 g
Cholesterol Less than 300 mg 300 mg
Sodium Less than 2400 mg 2400 mg
Total Carbohydrate 300 g 375 g
Dietary Fiber 25 g 30 g
Calories per gram:
Fat 9• Carbohydrate 4•Protein 4
Other Ingredients: Gelatin, Silicon Dioxide, Titanium Dioxide, Blue #1, Modified Starch, Red #3, Red #40, Magnesium Stearate (hypromellose, Titanium Dioxide, Coconut Oil, Carmine) Manufactured for USPlabs (221 Manana Dr., Ste 120, Dallas, Texas 75220

Lizzycritter 01-25-2011 11:46 PM

I think titanium dioxide is a white pigment, but that's totally off the top of my head, might be wrong.

MunaAmin 01-26-2011 10:06 AM


Originally Posted by 160to125 (Post 20565)
Ive tried a lot- ephedrine based gave me panic attacks and limited results, and non ephedrine based just didnt work!

I totally agree with this! I was taking a thing called China show, my friend recommended them me that saying they were vitamins and herb extracts, well herbs can't be bad, can they :) these tablets are ma-huang extract and contain ephedra. I had awful anger attacks, heart palpitations (that is a really scary thing), it's true I lost about 8lb and could stay up all night, but the side effects were just too much.

There are known cases of death from ephedra users and I do not recommend these pills to anyone.

abnoxious 04-06-2011 09:30 PM

While some weight loss pills contain powerful (and dangerous) drugs that can make you lose weight without exercise, other natural pills can facilitate weight loss in a healthy manner. This doesn't mean that the healthy pills will do all the work for you, that just doesn't exist. Does a runner buy high performance running shoes and expect to win the race without trying? No. I hope this shows how silly some people's expectations are when it comes to seeing results from pills alone.

Golden advice: exercise and eat right, weight loss pills are just a bonus, and a small one at that.

shibaluvr 04-06-2011 10:22 PM

I'm on alli
 
I have had good results being on and off orlistat. Never a weight gain going off and never symptoms. I stay on the low-fat diet, and they do help with avoiding stalling and plateaus.

The pills are never a replacement for good diet and exercise. For someone like me that had hundreds of pounds to lose, was diabetic and with thyroid problems, losing weight because of the medications I required was very hard.

Not so now. I'm off 9 medications because of my weightloss.

I have given myself forty days on alli to help me to continue the downward loss. I feel good so far, but I've been on it before so I already knew whether it would help or not.

I have lost 7.5 pounds in four days and am happy about it. I have been on a committed weightloss program since January.

alli is no big deal provided you don't eat over 19 grams of fat in a meal. I never have, so I'm good. If you think you're going to go over the amount of fat grams, or have a special occasion, then just don't take it for that meal.

alli is the one diet supplement that is fda approved. I don't know about liver damage. What I do know is about diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, joint problems and the health problems caused by too much weight.

I know alot here say don't try it, but I disagree. I'm not saying try it. I'm just saying that there's not much problem being on it IF YOU CONTROL YOUR FAT INTAKE. Go to the website and read about it.

For me, alli is a useful tool to pick up to help me not stall in my weightloss.

Misery16226 04-06-2011 10:41 PM

The ick factor.
 
I wouldn't ever take diet pills. I wouldn't even take caffeine. Many of these diet pills are filled with caffeine and chemicals. If anything I think drinking acai juice (known to boost metabolism and immune system, and detoxify) , wheatgrass juice (detoxifying and known to help lose weight) , chili powder(metabolism booster because of the heat) ,and many other harmless foods would be a better way to go.

Diet pills can be addicting and dangerous, and they cause some pretty crazy side effects, including the most disgusting ones (WARNING):anal leakage, and loss of bowel control (Must I add more?) The most common diet pills aid you at losing weight by making it impossible to digest more then about 25% of fat in a meal. If you eat more then 15g of fat in your meal though, you'll poop your pants. Even if you don't eat over 15g of fat in your meal, you'll still have grease pouring out occasionally... :eek:

Don't know about you, but I'd rather be fat.

shibaluvr 04-07-2011 03:24 AM


Originally Posted by Misery16226 (Post 42860)
I wouldn't ever take diet pills. I wouldn't even take caffeine. Many of these diet pills are filled with caffeine and chemicals. If anything I think drinking acai juice (known to boost metabolism and immune system, and detoxify) , wheatgrass juice (detoxifying and known to help lose weight) , chili powder(metabolism booster because of the heat) ,and many other harmless foods would be a better way to go.

Diet pills can be addicting and dangerous, and they cause some pretty crazy side effects, including the most disgusting ones (WARNING):anal leakage, and loss of bowel control (Must I add more?) The most common diet pills aid you at losing weight by making it impossible to digest more then about 25% of fat in a meal. If you eat more then 15g of fat in your meal though, you'll poop your pants. Even if you don't eat over 15g of fat in your meal, you'll still have grease pouring out occasionally... :eek:

Don't know about you, but I'd rather be fat.


I have not experienced this. My fat grams are at 19 per meal. No grease, no diapers, no gas, no poop. I have 37 days to go. I will be honest and report if this happens. I started it already into low-fat dieting. I think I'm the right person for Orlistat. If you're trying to not absorb Big Macs, you should definitely not use this product.

Misery16226 04-07-2011 03:35 AM


Originally Posted by shibaluvr (Post 42882)
I have not experienced this. My fat grams are at 19 per meal. No grease, no diapers, no gas, no poop. I have 37 days to go. I will be honest and report if this happens. I started it already into low-fat dieting. I think I'm the right person for Orlistat. If you're trying to not absorb Big Macs, you should definitely not use this product.

Glad to know you aren't having those scary results. I still am too afraid to try diet pills though lol.

cupcake1906 04-07-2011 04:45 AM

when I was in high school I took slim quick for a while and it helped me for a bit and I recently tried hydroxicut but for some reason that one just makes me feel crappy so I'm not gunna take it anymore. I have to find a new endocronologist to try and get back on synthroid for my hypothyroidism. oh btw does anyone know of anything that I can take for my thyroid issue that is otc?

Misery16226 04-07-2011 07:04 PM


Originally Posted by cupcake1906 (Post 42887)
when I was in high school I took slim quick for a while and it helped me for a bit and I recently tried hydroxicut but for some reason that one just makes me feel crappy so I'm not gunna take it anymore. I have to find a new endocronologist to try and get back on synthroid for my hypothyroidism. oh btw does anyone know of anything that I can take for my thyroid issue that is otc?

I believe you can heal thyroid issues from eating extremely healthy, like no breads, or processed foods. Stick to lean meats and vegetables (raw whenever possible) and some fruits, but only have fruit once or twice a week. It will take a while but soon you'll notice the change in your health. Exercise will help too. I don't know of anything else that would truly help.

shibaluvr 04-07-2011 08:52 PM

I'm glad too
 

Originally Posted by Misery16226 (Post 42883)
Glad to know you aren't having those scary results. I still am too afraid to try diet pills though lol.




The one thing you definitely should not do is try these things, unless your doctor recommends it and oversees it. At age 19, healthy eating habits should rule the day.

I'm a bit older than you with recovering from diabetes and hypothyroidism. Things you can avoid now by controlling your eating habits and lifestyle. At one time I weighed 468 pounds and am down to 263. Having been so very overweight, I had far more serious problems to overcome and those things outweighed possible side effects from orlistat.

If anything, I hope I'm a good example of what to avoid so you don't have to go through what I've been through.

sarah4143 06-12-2012 05:39 AM

Capsiplex Diet Pills -I received the order and it was on time and the pills work great.

pbrown8591 07-10-2012 08:07 PM

Phentermine
 
My doc says she will prescribe me phentermine in 3 weeks. She is running test and getting my weight. I'll go in every 4 weeks to recheck blood and weigh. I did this back in the 90's when you could get Phen-fen and it worked wonders. Since the Fen is off the market, I'm looking for a substitute for the Serotonin/5HTP component. I'm already on Lexapro so I think that will do the trick. I'm 50 years old and desperate to lose weight for my children and grandchildren. My health sucks because of my weight. Back pain, diverticulitis, etc. I know it's risky, but when I took it last time I could not get any money from the lawsuit because it did not give me any of the problems others had. So, it should not bother me know. AM I CRAZY??

Pink_fizz 07-27-2012 09:01 AM

avileanwell this little thing keeps on appearing
 
well ive seen this floatinmg around in the news quite a bit at the moment its called avilean anyone heard of it / used this and what did they think?

RunbikeSki 08-03-2012 05:58 PM


Originally Posted by pbrown8591 (Post 85164)
My doc says she will prescribe me phentermine in 3 weeks. She is running test and getting my weight. I'll go in every 4 weeks to recheck blood and weigh. I did this back in the 90's when you could get Phen-fen and it worked wonders. Since the Fen is off the market, I'm looking for a substitute for the Serotonin/5HTP component. I'm already on Lexapro so I think that will do the trick. I'm 50 years old and desperate to lose weight for my children and grandchildren. My health sucks because of my weight. Back pain, diverticulitis, etc. I know it's risky, but when I took it last time I could not get any money from the lawsuit because it did not give me any of the problems others had. So, it should not bother me know. AM I CRAZY??

Nope, not crazy. I had a prescription for Phenterimine a couple of years ago when I began my weight loss and it helped tremendously. I didn't have any side effects as long as I didn't take it w/in 4 hours of bed (it is a mild stimulent so it can interfere w/sleep).

Good luck, I am sure that losing the weight will only help with all of the other health problems.

manihar234 08-23-2012 08:38 AM

diet pliis anyone Some of the chemical supplementation can work but the side effects are either obvious or possibly at the very least subtly nefarious. I do know that, so far, medical science has not struck on any silver bullet approach.

madsewam35 08-26-2012 05:41 PM

From my experience, diet pills work, but only temporarily. You would get so much more out of spending that money for a gym membership instead. :)

kylz01 09-02-2012 07:49 AM

Appetite Suppressants?
 
Sorry but I seem to be constantly asking questions. Hopefully in time I will be able to offer some advice for people but at the moment I feel I am totally out of my depth with this whole weight loss thing!

I'm just wondering if anyone can help me out with ideas on appetite suppressants that work other than caffeine? The only way I drink tea and coffee is with heaps of milk and sugar which is obviously not compatible with weight loss :D

What about diet pills? Has anyone found that they actually suppress your appetite?

I'm only on Day 4 of trying to reduce my calorie intake and find I am constantly hungry. This afternoon I thought I'd have "a bit of chocolate" while watching a movie with the kids. Before I realised what I was doing I'd eaten the whole block (~1200 calories!!!!) so I've blown today's calorie count out of the water!

So disappointed in myself but it's not something I haven't done before. Just now I know how many calories it is and how I am sabotaging my goals.

Thanks in advance for any help offered!

SteviaHall 09-03-2012 09:24 AM

There is not much evidence that diet pills provide you benefits. They are rather harmful than being effective. If you're serious about losing weight, consider saving money on pills and spending it on healthier food items instead.

volleyballgranny 09-07-2012 06:02 PM

I am diabetic and very resistant to weight loss. I lost 40 lbs on Atkins before I became diabetic (weight gain while on low carb is what caused me to go to the doctor when I was diagnosed with diabetes).

Diet is important, but age has something to do with weight gain also--as my doctor told me yesterday. A low-carb diet (which is beneficial for me and allows me to avoid wheat, corn, and sugar allergies) and exercise helped me lose 7 lbs in 6 months. I was not happy with that (since my previous low carb experience was a loss of about 10 lbs a month--and years of on-goal before carb-creep causing me to start gaining again).

Because I am post-menopausal and diabetic, my doctor prescribed phentermine. Today is my first day on it, so I will try to keep you posted. I am still on Atkins, I can't stop that just because of a diet pill--I need that eating plan for other health benefits (not just the potential for weigt loss).

mmbrown74 09-28-2012 02:38 PM

Dietary Supplement
 
Hi,

I have been taking Healthy Weight Gold for a month and it has helped me. It is not a quick fix or diet pill really, but it helps with appitite suppression and energy. The main ingrediant is Svtol which is green coffee extract. It doesn't make you gittery though because it has less caffiene than a cup of coffee.

Now note, that I am not losing weight fast with this (healthy 1-2 lbs a week) but it does help with my mood and energy. I used to hit highs and lows in being tired during the day and now it is more even. And because of that I have been more active and working out at least 30 minutes 5 times a week.

The only side effect I noticed was a bit of dizziness if I did not drink at least 8 oz of water with the pills within 30 minutes.

It may not work for everyone, but I am having success.

Good luck.
:D

morphasia 09-28-2012 02:49 PM


Originally Posted by kylz01 (Post 88519)
What about diet pills? Has anyone found that they actually suppress your appetite? I'm only on Day 4 of trying to reduce my calorie intake and find I am constantly hungry.

Hi there; I think the best appetite suppresant is practicing a week or two of healthy eating. Your stomach will shrink causing you to be less hungry. The beginning is hard. But if you are constantly hungry, perhaps you need to recalculate what your caloric intake should be. There's free calculators available on websites where you put in your weight, height and age and it tells you how many calories you need in a day just to maintain. Then you can reduce your intake by, for example, 500 calories. Sometimes we get hungry because we're reducing our caloric intake by too much. We do that because we want quick results. It's understandable, yet it sets us up for failure. You mentioned you have kids. Parenting takes a tremendous amount of energy, so make the weigh loss journey as easy on yourself and enjoyable as possible by being realistic about changes to your diet. I know you've prolly heard it before, but it's better to take small steps towards a permanent lifestyle change, not just a diet for quick weight loss. Good luck !!

rpmcduff 09-28-2012 03:26 PM

Slightly off subject but my 2 cents worth. A lot of people eliminate most or all the fat in their diet when trying to lose weight. Since Fat has 9 calories per grams and Carbs and Protein have only 4 this makes sense. But Fat has been shown in studies to help suppress and appetite and satiate hunger. It is my belief that people that follow a low/no fat diet are always hungry (regardless of their calorie intake). Using healthy fats like almonds or peanut butter in moderation can help keep those cravings under control. Use whole eggs, not egg whites for their naturally occuring fats.

emmajohnsonlive 11-05-2012 09:58 PM


Originally Posted by ninakretina (Post 20412)
I'm quite skeptical when it comes to diet pills or any "weight loss" supplement of those sorts, but I wonder if anyone takes any dietary pill and how has it worked for you. Right now I'm taking Alli which was prescribed by my doctor, but I'm considering to stop taking them because they work mostly if you have high fat intakes, which is something I'm avoiding with my diet. Besides some studies have shown that Alli may cause liver damage. I have a friend who lost 60 pounds by taking LipoFuze and never had side effects, seems tempting but as I said I'm skeptical. Any weight loss story regarding pills or supplements? :confused:

Drink loads of water, eat 5 small meals instead of the normal 3 big meals, eat less calories than you burn off on a treadmill. ;)

Plus, there's a few new natural supplments you might consider...to suppress your appetite and speed up your metabolic rate...a few I have seen on popular TV shows are pure green coffee extract, raspberry ketones, african mango just to name a few.

But do your research and speak to a personal trainer and doctor before taking any of them.

Emma

cecc55 11-19-2012 04:03 AM

Hi
 
Thanks for all the good info in here.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:40 PM.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.