Notices

Anyone else overeat in hot weather?

Old 09-02-2010, 06:05 PM
FitDay Member

Default Anyone else overeat in hot weather?

Where I live, September is generally the hottest month, so after a reasonable cool "summer", we're now having a heat wave. I detest hot weather, to be honest. In makes me physically uncomfortable, itchy, worn out, and in the mood for nothing but drinking ice water all day. It also makes me not want to eat much of anything or be in the kitchen. So you'd think that would be great for losing weight, right?

But no. Because I get to the end of the day (having stuck to my calorie allowance and done fine), and then when it's time to get ready for bed, but it's too hot in the house to sleep, what do I do? I get myself a bowl of ice cream. And then, when I'm still too hot, I get myself another bowl of ice cream. And then, not wanting to completely overdo the ice cream, I get myself a little glass of root beer. I go to put ice cubes in it, but the tray of ice cubes hasn't frozen yet. So I put a scoop of ice cream in it instead and make a root beer float. And you can't have a small root beer float, because they are so good. So I put it in a big glass and add more root beer. Yum!

Arrrgh! And I've been trying so hard to get back on track. (But at least I logged in all the calories. Still keeping honest! That's something, anyway.)

If I lived by myself, I'd keep less tempting stuff in the house. Then again, knowing me, I'd just jump in the car, drive to Safeway, and buy the fancy double-calorie ice cream.

At least in the wintertime, when the house is cold, I just have multiple cups of tea. I drink black tea with a splash of fat free milk, so there are a few calories in it, but nothing that gets out of hand.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:12 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by elderwanda
Where I live, September is generally the hottest month, so after a reasonable cool "summer", we're now having a heat wave. I detest hot weather, to be honest. In makes me physically uncomfortable, itchy, worn out, and in the mood for nothing but drinking ice water all day. It also makes me not want to eat much of anything or be in the kitchen. So you'd think that would be great for losing weight, right?

But no. Because I get to the end of the day (having stuck to my calorie allowance and done fine), and then when it's time to get ready for bed, but it's too hot in the house to sleep, what do I do? I get myself a bowl of ice cream. And then, when I'm still too hot, I get myself another bowl of ice cream. And then, not wanting to completely overdo the ice cream, I get myself a little glass of root beer. I go to put ice cubes in it, but the tray of ice cubes hasn't frozen yet. So I put a scoop of ice cream in it instead and make a root beer float. And you can't have a small root beer float, because they are so good. So I put it in a big glass and add more root beer. Yum!
I live in Texas and triple digits are a part of our Aug and Sept. I have found some low calorie (100 cal and 170cal) low carb ice cream by Blue Bunny. The 100 cal one has 12 bars for $4. When my boys eat their ice cream, I have mine. I love them, it curves my cravings and I am able to stay on track. They are in the ice cream bar section near the Weight Watcher ones. My youngest actually likes these better than the regular ice cream. lol Good luck on your journey.
---------------
Starting weight : 198lbs (6-20-10)
Current weight : 180l bs (9-3-10)
Mini goal weight: 175 lbs (8-24-10) getting there though
GOAL WEIGHT : 120-130 lbs (12-20-10)
Old 09-03-2010, 02:04 AM
FitDay Member

Default Cooling down

I have that issue too, once it's night time I go on snack attack. The only thing I can do is try to convince myself to do an alternate that's less damaging. The Blue Bunny suggestion is great! Or even some sort of frozen juice bar or sorbet? Still sweet and cold just not as caloric.

That being said my true snack attack is for hummus with tortilla chips. Like a bucket of hummus and half a bag of "family style" chips. Or cheese. Dear god the cheese!!!!
Old 09-04-2010, 06:53 AM
FitDay Member

I've heard of people putting grapes in the freezer,guess they turn out like eating a mini popcisle or something. You could try frozen fruits smoothies. The frozen fruit will thicken the drink and make it milkshake like, without the ice cream. Using milk or yogurt will keep it healthy too. Sure, you might still be taking in more calories than you should, but they will be healthy ones!
Old 09-04-2010, 10:38 AM
FitDay Member

You can also make what we call "limbers", which is juice, chocolate milk or any liquid frozen in a plastic 7oz or 9oz cup. Once it's completely frozen you take it off from the cup and turn it upside down. It's like a homemade sno cone but you have the options to make it according to your needs and taste and of course it'll help to take off the heat(I live in the Caribbean so we melt in heat pretty much all year, nothing beats a grandma-made Carnation milk topped with cheddar cheese limber at 3pm, haha!!). Hope it helps!

Last edited by ninakretina; 09-04-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:57 PM
FitDay Member

Default Snacks off plan

I know this may sound too simple, but I always have a glass of water when I get hungry for a tempting food, and after about 10 minutes, the craving for something I should not eat usually goes away.