Notices

workout routines?

Old 09-16-2010, 02:25 PM
FitDay Member

Question workout routines?

Hi there, I'm semi new to this site. I'm on week 3 of my new healthy lifestyle and so far I lost 8 lbs!!! I'm very new to working out on a regular basis so I don't know where to start as far as a routine...what to do each day, and for how long.

As of now I'm atleast walking everyday for no less than 2 miles. (walking on even surface I can do for ever, my legs go in neutral mode) I've tried jogging but can't go very far at a single time, although i think I'll really enjoy jogging. I'll jog for a certain distance...maybe 40-50 yards then walk, and jog some more. I do plenty of stretches before and after...but along with walking/jogging I also do other exercises "beginners" pushups, jumping jacks, get in push up position and hold for 30 seconds, relax and repeat, squats, lunges, arm and leg curls, stair stepping, etc. I don't do all of them each and every day, but mix up my day quite a bit. When I do them, I do them in numbered reps, rest then repeat 3-4 times.

My question is how much of what am I suppost to do a day as a beginner. I'm 28, 5'8" and need to loose 100lbs. And how many days a week do I exercise? Monday I did a lot of squats and walking and my legs were feeling it a lot the next 2 days...I could hardly sit down cause of it. When that happens do I need to rest those muscles for a certain period of time, or work through them as long as it's not pain and just muscle burn?

Unfortunatly I don't have the $ now for a gym membership or trainer, but I'm good at making due with things around my environment at home, park or elsewhere. Fortunatly at our bike path that goes for atleast 100 miles...there's an outdoor gym for the public to use and has about 8 machines to use. So I take advantage of that also.

This turned out to be a long post, but any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm also curious as to what your routines are, and how you started out!
Old 09-16-2010, 06:53 PM
FitDay Member

So, here are a few suggestions and maybe another place or two to look for more information. As far as walking/jogging there is a program called Couch to 5K that is meant specifically to help you progress so you can run 5 kilometers. Google for it and/or search here on the Fitday forums. I have not personally done the Couch to 5K but I hear nothing but good things.

Monday I did a lot of squats and walking and my legs were feeling it a lot the next 2 days

When you work a muscle, or group of muscles, they need a chance to repair and recover. Give them a few days off before you work them hard again. As you get more experienced you can develop a 'split' routine where you alternate body groups on different days. For example a 3 day split routine may have you doing arm and shoulders one day, legs another and chest and back another. You, being less experienced, may want to instead do whole body workouts each day. Check out Bodybuilding.com, they have lots of information about work outs and if you search the forums there they have suggestions for beginner workouts also.

No matter what you decide realize that you can't out train a bad diet. You are asking your muscles to work and they need fuel. I believe protein is essential. Protein is the only nutrient that can repair and build muscle. Without adequate protein your body will actually catabolize your muscle even when you have fat stores that could be utilized for energy. I personally try to keep my protein at 30% of my calories. (But everyone is different and you may need to experiment to find the right percentage for you.)

How many days you workout is a matter of personal preference, 3, 4 or 5 days a week is typical. Usually when working out 5 days a week several of those days are cardio (walking, jogging, bicycling) activities to allow the other muscle time to recover. Be aware that like everything else more is not always better. Push yourself too hard and your body will rebel. This is call over training. Everything in moderation (although I am a proponent of intense workout sessions with limited rest time between sets).

Hope this helps, I am sure others here will have other good suggestions and experiences to relay. It sounds like you have already made a great start.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:54 PM
FitDay Member

countryrider - Congratulations on your weight loss so far! Congratulations also on deciding to get fit. This is a great place to ask for help when you need it!

Ron gave you some great advice. I also have not done C25K but it sounds like such a great program. If you have an iPod, I saw the other day that there are C25K podcasts you can listen to while you work out.

My other suggestion for working out without a gym is to get your hands on a few fitness magazines. Most of them detail exercises that you can do at home with little to no equipment.

You can probably also rent fitness related DVD's from your local library for free.

Keep up the good work! Keep us posted on your progress!