Notices

Serious Help Needed...

Old 01-27-2012, 01:37 PM
FitDay Member

Default Serious Help Needed...

I have been a member on here for quite awhile now. Some of you might remember me.

I really need to lose weight/become more fit. Currently, I am 5 feet 8 inches tall, 38 years old, and weigh 242 pounds.

We had the biggest loser contest at work from October til December and I did really well the first month or so. I went from 246 down to 239 in about five weeks and then just gave up.

We started another contest two weeks ago and I weighed in at 252!!!! Are you kidding me? My clothes still fit. How did I weight that much? So, I am really desperate to lose now, not just for the contest.

I have some really good things going for me. I drink tons of water, eat a really healthy breakfast and lunch. Supper is pretty healthy the majority of the time.

My problems are portion sizes and eating late at night. My wife gets home from work around 11:30 and we eat something together then. Those are my main problems.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

I remember you. Did you change your user name just a little because you only have 1 post?
Old 01-27-2012, 03:06 PM
FitDay Member

Welcome back, collegefbfan.

A good way to get situated with both the Discussion Board and FitDay program is to visit this link:

FAQ's/Newbie Q & A, How To's, & Supporting Links

You'll also discover all the tools, resources, and support you'll need right here in order to meet your weight loss/fitness goals. Thank you for choosing FitDay to help with your transition into a healthier lifestyle.

If you have additional questions we'll do our best to assist.

We also have a really nice list of resource threads here, called the FitDay Best of Series

Finally, we hope that you decide to "stick around" our Discussions. We have a helpful community that is knowledgeable, engaging, and very friendly.

Best wishes!
Old 01-28-2012, 03:25 AM
FitDay Member

Yeah, I changed my name a little because I forgot the other password or the email account it was linked to was inactive after a while of no use.

I have read all the things you all mentioned. I was just wondering what are some things you folks have had individual successes with.

Like this: My wife gets off work at 11:30 and usually hits the drive thru somewhere. The thing is she usually gets a salad, etc. or maybe just a little snack. Nothing really bad. Me though, I want the big burger or two small burgers. One thing, I shouldn't be eating that crap. The other thing, I shouldn't be eating that late at night.

Any tips?

Thanks again.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:51 AM
FitDay Member

Lightbulb And the best "tips" for the day are...

We've got great weight loss tips located in the thread I mentioned, hopefully you found them informative.

Like this: My wife gets off work at 11:30 and usually hits the drive thru somewhere. The thing is she usually gets a salad, etc. or maybe just a little snack. Nothing really bad. Me though, I want the big burger or two small burgers. One thing, I shouldn't be eating that crap. The other thing, I shouldn't be eating that late at night.
It sounds like you desire to interact on a more personal level. Clearly you are asking people for common sense advice, which you already seem to possess.

My best advice is to stick around the forums and join in on one of our already established weight loss threads. That can be done by joining this group:

Friday Weigh-In Gang

or this group

The Official Unisex 100+ Pounds to Lose Thread

as well as requesting a "Diet Buddy" here:

New here - looking for a diet buddy...?
Old 01-28-2012, 01:01 PM
FitDay Member

I can understand your desire to eat something with her when she comes home from work. Maybe she could get you a salad like hers. My hubby has traded in his lunchmeat sandwiches and chips for a salad every day for lunch since that is what I eat. Also could you get a workout in between when you get off work and waiting for her to come home? Try not eating a full dinner when home by yourself...maybe just a yogurt and some fruit so that you aren't eating two dinners every night. That was one of my biggest hurdles. I would eat a big dinner and then a snack later that was the size of another dinner
Old 01-30-2012, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator

If you're still really craving the burger and want to do small steps, you could do what my BF does...

Sometimes he "feels badly" when I'm eating a smaller dinner and he's eating a big burger and fries (It doesn't really bother me, I think he's just projecting something onto me, but that's ok!), so he'll cut the burger in half and save the other half for a snack or lunch the next day. That way he still has his burger, but it's a smaller portion. It can be a good way to "start" if you're not into changing your diet too drastically all at once - and portion control is a HUGE part of weight loss for most folks
Old 02-07-2012, 09:17 AM
FitDay Member

I personally found some great weight loss tips on this forum and I'm sure that by browsing through them you'll find some help. As for late night snacking, it's definitely a problem. When I was in college I was living with my best friend, she also had a job that kept her at the office until late at night and she would arrive home really hungry. I would occasionally join her for dinner even though I had eaten just a couple of hours before. Especially with couples, it's hard to eat separately because we tend to bond over food. Maybe you could try eating something else than what your wife is having and cook separately. This way you could still enjoy dinner together but without having too many calories. Also, I know weight gain comes from consuming more than you burn, so how about exercising before you go to sleep?

I know I tend to snack while I watch TV in the evening, but try and replace your snacks with healthier choices: walnuts, pumpkin seeds, dehydrated fruits. I don't know if this is helpful but I wish you good luck!