FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   Yauncin's Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/1763-yauncins-weight-loss-tips.html)

midwestj 08-16-2010 07:15 AM

What do you mean stay away from protein powder do to cost?

I buy a 10 lb bag for 75$ thats 50 cents a serving (1/3cup servings.) The only thing that compares cost wise to that is 4oz can of tuna, everything else chicken, tuna, beef is much more expensive per serving, or per ~20ish grams of protein.

Also post workout whey is almost your only option. Bloodflow is still dominated by your muscles post-workout and you only have a 2 hour window to maximize your recovery, this is why bodybuilders reach for whey protein, because it is "pre-digested" and can be absorbed rapidly. Also for post workout meals don't eat any fat, it slows digestion. Then you should eat a full meal 1-2 hours after your post workout meal, this one being all real food.

yauncin 08-16-2010 08:00 AM

I did mention that is my game plan when I'm cutting. When I am bulking I do use protein powder. I have a family so I try not to have to buy a tub-o-protein every month. Oh and what I currently buy is twice that.

midwestj 08-16-2010 08:51 AM

Protein powder is really like motor oil. You can pay more for different brands but its all mostly the same. Same petroleum, same refining process.

Isolate is like synthetic higher quality higher price. Concentrate is your standard.

Concentrate is really all you need though. The stuff I get is 100% natural with no artificial sweeteners. NOW foods, you should check them out, they sell it at the organic foods stores, I get it from a supplement place. The whey itself comes from a cheese maker, the only thing these companies do is add flavor and other ingredients and package it. Why pay twice as much it doesn't make sense.

P.S. I found this brand doing a few searches on google "best whey protein" and it pulled up reviews from different bodybuilding sites, I chose the NOW foods brand because it was all natural and high quality, its also made in the united states, I'm not a bargain shopper I am always willing to pay more for quality, and with this whey I found quality. I went through a 6lb tub last month so I decided to get the 10 lb bag this time, its the size of a dog food bag, but at $0.50 a scoop that is a supreme bargain for this quality protein.

I think using whey as an alternative protein source is more economical than using chicken, fish, or especially beef, even if you do have a family to feed, you have to feed yourself too don't you? Less chicken you eat the more you can feed them. I don't know about you but I use the whey as a food replacement, I don't just take it to get extra protein in addition to whatever else I'm eating.

yauncin 09-16-2011 06:24 AM

Wow. It's been over a year since I posted this. Anyway I figured I'd give it a bump. Hopefully, it will help someone.

snafuken 09-16-2011 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 18565)
uggghhhh after typing and typing, I hit send and I guess I dropped my internet signal. :(

I'll try to reply back later.

I hate when that happens ! No I REALLY hate when that happens !:mad::mad:

VitoVino 09-16-2011 08:01 AM

I'd also like to add that getting 8 hours a sleep a night is also very important to weight loss. ;)

KatD13 09-16-2011 08:34 AM

That's a great list, Yauncin. Thanks for bumping it up, I never would have found it otherwise.

01gt4.6 ~ You mentioned trusting your mirror. For me it's photos of myself. Always shocking. I might have one of those carnival mirrors, that makes you look thin.

VitoVino: I only get 6 - 7 hours of sleep. Somedays only about 4. Will 8 hours really help with my weight loss?

VitoVino 09-16-2011 09:18 AM

Well Kat, I've read this in various places. This is from WebMD:

"The sleep-diet connection is regular fodder for diet books and magazine articles. Maybe you have even heard about the sleep diet, which suggests you can lose weight while you catch your ZZZs.

And it’s true, sort of.

“It’s not so much that if you sleep, you will lose weight, but if you are sleep-deprived, meaning that you are not getting enough minutes of sleep or good quality sleep, your metabolism will not function properly,” explains Michael Breus, PhD, author of Beauty Sleepand the clinical director of the sleep division for Arrowhead Health in Glendale, Ariz.

On average, we need about 7.5 hours of quality sleep per night, he says. “If you are getting this already, another half hour will not help you lose 10 pounds, but if you are a five-hour sleeper and start to sleep for seven hours a night, you will start dropping weight.”

Entire article: Sleep and Weight Loss: How Lack of Sleep Can Cause You to Gain Weight

KatD13 09-17-2011 01:38 AM

Thank you for posting that, Vito. I had no idea!

I have an odd schedule for work & I am basically sleep deprived for 2 days. It is causing me to have rather severe migraines and other unpleasant symptoms.
Right now I've been up for 20 hours. Hoping I can stay up the entire day & then go to bed around 8PM, so I can get back into a normal sleeping routine.

VitoVino 09-17-2011 03:02 AM

You're welcome, Kat!

Well at least you've found FitDay, and perhaps with your monitoring/tracking what you're doing/eating, along with the advice of others, you can make your work schedule issue (as far as it affects your health) more manageable. ;)