Notices

Weighing In ??

Old 08-12-2010, 10:53 AM
FitDay Member

Question Weighing In ??

So,should we be jumping on the scale every morning ,or once a week?
What are the pro's and con's of each ?
I'm weighing in daily,but I'm not sure if daily is too often.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:21 AM
FitDay Member

I'm sure everyone will suggest you to weigh yourself only once a week, although I jump on it every day, I can't resist! But then my mood for the day pretty much depends on whether that weight was higher or lower than the day before which makes no sense.
The cons of weighing yourself every day is just that is not at all accurate, it varies a lot.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:42 AM
FitDay Member

I don't have a scale at home so I weigh myself at the gym, once a week, always wearing the same ensemble. Since I eat the same breakfast, this works for me. It's all about results over time, not from one day to the next.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:21 PM
FitDay Member

I recommend not weighing yourself at all. Instead, gauge your progress by how you feel and how your clothes fit. The scale will likely give you misleading information. For example, if you start dieting, you might lose a lot of water weight. Then you decide to start lifting weights and your weight goes up 4 or 5 pounds do to the water your body is retaining while healing your muscles. I weigh myself about once a month and I find it interesting that it never goes in the direction I expect it to, but I notice the changes when I look in the mirror which is good enough for me.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:29 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Once a week, on Saturday morning. That way I KNOW I will show a loss. I actually look forward to it.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:51 AM
FitDay Member

Ok,
Weighed myself every morning for my first week.Gonna stay off the scale for one week and see (Willpower ...) what happens.
What the heck.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:31 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by vsabino
I'm sure everyone will suggest you to weigh yourself only once a week, although I jump on it every day, I can't resist! But then my mood for the day pretty much depends on whether that weight was higher or lower than the day before which makes no sense.
The cons of weighing yourself every day is just that is not at all accurate, it varies a lot.
I too weigh myself everyday, several times a day. I find my mood is always bad because after 2hr workouts I expect to see 1lb lost that day or the next, and when it doesn't happen I get mad. I need to stay off the scale for a week and tell myself that, but it rarely happens. I'm going to try again this week to stay off, hopefully I can.
---------------
Starting weight : 198lbs (6-20-10)
Current weight : 186 lbs (8-5-10)
Mini goal weight: 175 lbs (8-24-10)
GOAL WEIGHT : 120-130 lbs (12-20-10)(02-20-11:dr's goal)

http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...ml?Owner=zinal

"Every journey starts with one small step,"
Old 08-15-2010, 01:10 PM
FitDay Member

I like weighing myself daily as well, though I don't get upset with the fluxuations that I see. I expect it. But I only take my body measurements once a week.

I think it's really up to you to decide what you're comfortable with. If weighing daily discourages you, then definitely limit it to once a week or maybe even once a month.

For me personally, I am treating this lifestyle change as if I'm already at maintenance. I want to monitor my weight daily so that when I do achieve my goal weight, I can be aware of my status and keep my range within 5-10 lbs. of my goal.

Fortunately the numbers on the scale have never really bothered me, which is probably why I haven't lost weight before now. I've only recently decided to eat healthier & exercise more, and that is my focus. Weight loss will be a nice side effect of those changes. =)

Good luck to you all!

Smoosh
Old 08-15-2010, 04:26 PM
FitDay Member

I weigh in every morning when I wake up, after using the restroom & sans clothing. I log in on fitday and then check my progress towards my goal. I find it to be very motivating!
Old 08-19-2010, 09:49 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by snafuken
So,should we be jumping on the scale every morning ,or once a week?
What are the pro's and con's of each ?
I'm weighing in daily,but I'm not sure if daily is too often.
I weigh and measure once a week, always first thing in a morning before I eat or drink anything. Every week SOMETHING changes - it might not be weight, it might be a measurement. I also measure in cm. CM or MM will show you even the slightest positive change. Its not all about the weight - as long as the measurements are moving downwards too its all motivational.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.