FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   Take a look at my food log give opinions (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/1710-take-look-my-food-log-give-opinions.html)

midwestj 08-06-2010 09:54 AM

I also don't know how fast you are expecting the weight to come off. 1-2 pounds a week is what you should aim for, anything more long term can be unhealthy. So if you are getting 1-2 pounds per week you are doing fine, but I still recommend limiting the alcohol if you want to change your body composition, and not just lose weight.

sw07 08-06-2010 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by justawalker (Post 17924)
Anyone else have an opinion or experience on moderate alcohol consumption sabitaging your weight loss efforts?

Excellent info midwestj-

Yes, quit drinking or seriously cut it down to a couple of beers for the weekend only- you'll thank yourself later.

I'm down to losing my last 5lbs. of my target weight, but them cold beers seem to sabotage my motivation and give me that bloated feeling...

However, when I first started my weight loss journey, I quit drinking for about 2 months and it dramatically helped with weight loss, I was also able to sleep better- the GF even told me that I didn't snore anymore and had a better general attitude towards everything-especially working out.

Just try it for a while and see what happens.

You might also want to look into keeping your diet in the med-low G.I. range.

tandoorichicken 08-06-2010 10:14 AM

justawalker,

I'm on FD to track calories/nutrients for lean weight gain (muscle) but alcohol has a similar sabotaging effect there as well, especially particularly carby alcohol like beer and wine. I started out a skinny (almost nonexistent) 160 lbs last month, and I'm up to 165 now after a few weeks of really solid work at the gym and in the kitchen. However, last weekend my girlfriend came to visit and we partied hearty (couple beers apiece, champagne and the most romantic straight whiskey shots I've ever taken). Under normal circumstances I'll enjoy a few beers per week but I don't drink on a daily basis or anything. I also ate a lot more carb than I'm used to and lo and behold, Tuesday I notice a nicely-rounded beach ball under my shirt. Anything that I could see of my barely developing "two-pack" last week is now obscured by a generous layer of fat. Oh well, back to the grind, I guess.

Any regular use of alcohol is best avoided if you want to reach your goal quickly and cleanly, that's my experience.

justawalker 08-06-2010 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by tandoorichicken (Post 17931)
justawalker,

I'm on FD to track calories/nutrients for lean weight gain (muscle) but alcohol has a similar sabotaging effect there as well, especially particularly carby alcohol like beer and wine. I started out a skinny (almost nonexistent) 160 lbs last month, and I'm up to 165 now after a few weeks of really solid work at the gym and in the kitchen. However, last weekend my girlfriend came to visit and we partied hearty (couple beers apiece, champagne and the most romantic straight whiskey shots I've ever taken). Under normal circumstances I'll enjoy a few beers per week but I don't drink on a daily basis or anything. I also ate a lot more carb than I'm used to and lo and behold, Tuesday I notice a nicely-rounded beach ball under my shirt. Anything that I could see of my barely developing "two-pack" last week is now obscured by a generous layer of fat. Oh well, back to the grind, I guess.

Any regular use of alcohol is best avoided if you want to reach your goal quickly and cleanly, that's my experience.

Thanks guys I did some research on what you were saying and came to the same conclusion. I have deleted my beer from my schedule for today and will do so for at least a week without changing anything else.
I will report back here next Fri with the results.

We are haveing a bbq get together tommorow and I will most likely drink something but will abstain after that during the week and next weekend if scedule permits. I can see the science in the thinking and appreciate the tip.

midwestj 08-06-2010 10:37 AM

I do have a drink suggestion for the special occasions:

Vodka water with lemon wedge, its prob your best choice for low cal/carb cocktail, and if you get a top shelf vodka its actually really good.

justawalker 08-09-2010 03:45 AM

Well I substituted Green tea for beer the last few days and adjusted my Protien to .6-.8 grams per pound of body weight. increased my good fat a little and filled the rest of my calories with good carbs.
I fel great and am down below 221.
This is going to be a great week.
I will post in this forum my progress next Mon the 16th.
This is going to work I am sure, thanks for the tips everyone

Have a fitday everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by midwestj (Post 17934)
I do have a drink suggestion for the special occasions:

Vodka water with lemon wedge, its prob your best choice for low cal/carb cocktail, and if you get a top shelf vodka its actually really good.