Notices

New bathroom scale

Old 04-07-2011, 10:04 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by SvetaDoll
On the topic of scales, i have one at home that is really basic and isn't very precise. I'd like scales that i can be sure are accurate and show me the small increments of weight loss.... can anyone suggest a brand of scales or what features i should look for in scales?? I don't really want to pay more than $50....

Thanks!
I've got one of these:

It seems to be accurate, I'll double check it with 25# dumbells every so often.
Wal mart has 'em and they're cheap-
Walmart.com: Health o meter Oil Rubbed Chrome and Silver Scale: Home Medical
Old 12-14-2011, 05:42 AM
FitDay Member

Default Bathroom Scale

I was going to go and get myself a scale for my home. This way I could have an accurate weight loss. I know that different scales can be up to 7 pounds in a difference. However, I thought if I got a scale I would wind up weighing myself everyday and possibly getting disappointed at no weight loss. So looking around I have found that most scales only go as high as 350 pounds. That is my goal for April. I don't have any doctor's appointments until the end of January so will have no way of weighing myself. That will give me time to lose any weight I lose after Christmas dinner though. LOL
Old 12-16-2011, 12:05 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Wanda51
I was going to go and get myself a scale for my home. This way I could have an accurate weight loss. I know that different scales can be up to 7 pounds in a difference. However, I thought if I got a scale I would wind up weighing myself everyday and possibly getting disappointed at no weight loss. So looking around I have found that most scales only go as high as 350 pounds. That is my goal for April. I don't have any doctor's appointments until the end of January so will have no way of weighing myself. That will give me time to lose any weight I lose after Christmas dinner though. LOL
Get this one, it's the one I use, and it works absolutely brilliantly and goes up to 440 lbs.

Amazon.com: Eatsmart Precision Plus Digital Bathroom Scale with Ultra Wide Platform and Step-on Technology, 440-Pounds: Health & Personal Care
Old 12-16-2011, 12:37 AM
FitDay Member

Eatsmart is a great company as well. They get rave reviews on Amazon for customer service. I've got the kitchen scale.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:49 AM
FitDay Member

Default Help fitday friends!! home scales?

hi guys i have just purchased an expensive set of digital scales, i stepped on and it says i am 5 pounds over what i weighed myself at the doctors on tuesday two days ago?

is it the scales? is it me? i bought these so i can weigh myself at the same time, every week..

but i am so confused help xx
Old 01-05-2012, 04:07 AM
FitDay Member

Digital home scales are pretty accurate.

The only accurate weight would be nude so maybe you were wearing more clothes at home?

At any rate, big swings like this can always be attributed to water weight. And a diet high in salt will make you retain water. So start tracking your salt as a custom nutrient would be a suggestion. Plus the water weight can be from TOTM as I'm sure you're aware.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:45 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Yup, I can have huge swings from day to day or even in the same day. And, it's really of no importance whether your scale matches the Drs. or not but it is important for it to be consistent. If you step on and off it, it should give you pretty close to the same weight.

I always try to wear the same thing, weight at the same time, make sure the scale is in exactly the same place, and step onto it in the same way.

Weigh once a week and you'll save yourself some heartache! If you accurately track your calories and are on average well below your daily calorie burn, you can rest assured that you will (usually, as plateaus DO happen) see a loss.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-05-2012, 05:56 AM
FitDay Member

What they say is not as important as whether or not they are consistent. I wouldn't worry about it. It's a pain to have to record that higher weight when you start, but it will even out over time.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:40 AM
FitDay Member

NewJen: I too, compair my weight from my scale at home to the one at the doctors after they weigh me. One time I will be at the same weight as them, the next my scale will say I'm more then them. I have had a 7lbs difference between my scale and the doctors. My doctor has told as long as you use the same scale it really doesn't matter what the "office" one says. Kind of like with ones blood pressure. It's all about seeing consistant readings.

In my personal journey with watching my weight I have jumped up 4 lbs in one day due to water weight and salt. Then next day I will be down 2 to 3 lbs if not all 4.

15 in 15 Easter goal
Week 1: 309.3
Week 2: 308.9 (-.4)

Last edited by LMB2011; 01-06-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:48 AM
FitDay Member

Try calibrating your scales. It should tell you how to do this in the instructions that came with your scales. I've heard people complain that they'll weigh one thing when the scale is in one spot on the floor, and then they'll move the scale and weigh two pounds more or less...within a seconds of weighing themselves. Re-calibrate your scales and this should help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.