Notices

How bad is the adult obesity problem?

Old 02-01-2016, 01:27 AM
FitDay Member

Default How bad is the adult obesity problem?

Over the past 25 years, obesity prevalence among adults has increased astronomically. In 1990, 10 US states had less than 10% obesity prevalence among their adult population. In 2010, no US states had less than a 20% obesity prevalence! Currently, the most obese state in the country is Arkansas, with an adult obesity rate of nearly 36%.
Illinois currently has about 3.8 million adults who are obese, about 29.3% of the state population. This prevalence rate puts our state near the middle of the list, as the 26th least obese US state/territory.

Adults who are obese have an increased risk for many different physical problems and ailments, including but not limited to:
  • High Blood Pressure
  • Diabetes
  • Heart Disease
  • Stroke
  • Osteoarthritis
  • Certain Types of Cancer (specifically endometrial, breast, colon, kidney, gallbladder, and liver)
  • Mental Illness
  • Body Pain
  • All Causes of Death

Last edited by Kathy13118; 02-01-2016 at 05:04 AM. Reason: removed link
Old 02-03-2016, 05:31 AM
Banned

Great post!

Obesity is a major problem in this country. Especially in the younger generation which is very sad. Which is why it's so important to implement the importance of eating healthy to our children and live a healthy lifestyle ourselves so we won't have to deal with so many health issues. I know with my little cousin he's overweight because he eats so much junk food and drinks soda all the time plus sits on the couch playing on his ipad when he's not at school. I've told my aunt so many times how important it is for her to take away the junk food and caffeine and help get him active. But she doesn't know how to do that. And the same goes for adults, it's important for us to promote healthy eating and an active lifestyle. If we want a long healthy life that's where it starts.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:32 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by motivated1989

I've told my aunt so many times how important it is for her to take away the junk food and caffeine and help get him active. But she doesn't know how to do that.
Does he buy the groceries? If not all she has to do is not buy the junk. Solved.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:34 PM
FitDay Member

Thank you motivated1989.