Community
Notices

just started fitday

Old 06-14-2010, 12:12 PM
FitDay Member

Default just started fitday

I just started fitday to try something new. I was on ww for the past year and have not been able to lose anything for the past 4 months, no matter what I changed points/activity. I understand the basic burn more than you take in, but I see a lot of posts with % of carbs/proteins/fats. I am 5'5" and currently 173 #'s. I was 198 last year and goal is 140. I would like to reach goal by the end of this year. Can someone clarify the % for me on how much I should be watching for? I am trying to up protein and decrease carbs and I am a carbaholic.

thanks
michelle
Old 06-14-2010, 12:50 PM
FitDay Member

Hey michelle,

I've posted this elsewhere around here but it bears repeating: you have to find what works for you. You say you're a carboholic, so do you find yourself hungry/eating all the time when most of your meals are carb-heavy? If so, you might want to try something like 50%fat, 30%protein, 20% carb. Conversely, some people feel lethargic or irritable with that level of carb, so some here do more along the lines of 50% carb. I personally thrive on the former, and I notice that my general alertness and focus skyrockets when I eat like that compared to higher carb levels.

Some calorie restriction is also in order of course. Regardless of how you apportion your nutrients, you're not going to lose anything on 3000kcal/day. But figuring out what ratio works for you will do wonders not only for body composition but also for your general feeling of health.

So what I tell people is write down a couple sample menus for a week, each one using a different ratio of f/c/p. Try each menu out for two weeks to see how your body reacts to it. Once you find the one that works for you, you'll feel it right away.

Good luck!
Old 06-14-2010, 12:52 PM
FitDay Member

I forgot to mention, eat real food! Even canned vegetables and fruits + frozen whole cuts of meat > processed, packaged pizza!
Old 06-15-2010, 12:38 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Michele,

Hello, my name is Amy and I'm a carboholic. I'm 5'-2" and now weigh about 160, which I think puts us at a similar BMI. I started all of this at 244 pounds and have been at this pretty hardcore since the day after Christmas. I have found the best ratio for me is about 40% carbs, 40% proteins and 20% fats, with my calories at 1,400-1,600. I also do a 60 minute cardio workout 4-5 days/week and a 60 minute weightlifting workout 2 days/week, and I use "seated with some movement" as my base activity level. I aim everyday for a calorie deficit of 900-1500 calories (which some would argue is too high, but it works for me). I started off with the same workout schedule and at about 1,200 calories/day, but at that low of a calorie intake I was mean and sluggish and not getting in enough nutrients. I was also doomed to failure because I doubt that I could have kept that up for the rest of my life.

I think tandoorichicken is right you have to figure it out for your own body because we are all a little different. Fitday is a really good tool for figuring that all out. This forum is also a really good place to ask questions.

I also agree that you have to look at all the foods you eat with the question of "What can you do for me?". I rarely eat anything that has zero nutritional value. Almost everything at our house now is fresh, fresh frozen, whole grain, low-cal, low-fat or homemade. It takes a while to educate yourself on that front, but it's well worth it. Good luck.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:55 AM
FitDay Member

Tandorichicken and Almeeker both have good suggestions. I am curious as to what your activities consist of? I ask because many women avoid weight lifting like is is a plague. They have believed the myth that if they lift they will turn into a female Arnold Schwarzenegger. The truth is women have a very hard time building big muscles. Because of their physiology there muscles tend to become stronger and more dense then men. I you have been doing only cardio I would encourage to start weight training.

The reasoning behind this is that muscles drive your metabolism. As you build more muscle you burn more calories even at rest. When you diet you not only burn off your fat stores but you also catabolize muscle. As you burn off muscle your metabolism slows. That is also the reason to keep your protein intake in the 30-40% range. This helps to minimize muscle loss.

There are other factors that could be sabotaging your weight loss goals. It could be that you have exceeded the caloric deficit that your body will tolerate and it has gone into starvation mode, slowing your metabolism to maintain your current body mass. A500-700 calorie deficit per day usually will not make this happen but everyones body is different. Some people can do 1000-1500 deficit and be fine other go into starvation mode at 500. If you think this may apply to you try to reset your metabolism by eating at your maintenace level for a couple of weeks then start on a deficit again.

You state that you are a carbaholic, understand that there are simple and complex carbs. Simple carbs are digested quickly and are converted into glycogen to fuel your muscles. However if you have been inactive and your glycogen levels are full those simple carbs are converted into fat stores. If you must eat simple carbs do them after you work out. That is when your glycogen stores are low and the simple carbs are converted to fuel instead of fat. The timing of your meals is almost as important as the total calories you are consuming. Hope some of these ideas help. Good luck.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:12 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks everyone. My base activity is seated with movement. I walk 3-6 miles a day at a 15 min/mile. I live on a ski hill so its mainly up/down hills. I do step aerobics 3x/wk, mostly for a hour but sometimes 30 min step, 30 min toning. I agree I have to find what works right for me. Hopefully I find that quickly. I am finding that eating more protein is keeping me full.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:34 AM
FitDay Member

Hi folks !

I m very new in this fitness world. I nvr cared this much for my body. I was go lucky n a foodie girl , n I nvr let myself down jus coz I m fat. I am as smart , independent n kool as others would be. But ,off late I hv been free from my P.G and have lot of time at home n I realized I m going a bit too odd with my figure. I mean its no more normal. I got the courage to check my waist. n u wont blve it was 36 inches! it took my breathe away! n today I went to weight machine n I assumed I would hv jus gained a lil weight in a year. But, to my surprise I picked up 14 kgs !!!!!!!!! I weight 80 kgs today My height is 5'4 The sad day of my life. I m totally depressed n seriously seek some help! In fact , there was a guy who I think likes me I msgd him ' I m not fit for u and thats y u dnt respect me'I m going away. tkcr' n what makes worse is he has not yet replied

Plz ppl guide me something . I need a solution! I am confused with workout though I use to do aerobics and yoga.

VJ