Notices

Gonna lay it all on the Line...

Old 06-12-2014, 12:04 AM
FitDay Member

Unhappy Gonna lay it all on the Line...

Okay, here goes...I'm frustrated and at a point where I really don't know what to do or where to start.....I need to lose about 20-25 pounds...I know...doesn't seem like much but I'm sick of not fitting in my clothes, looking at a belly that is horrible and my hips don't lie..they are big!! And on and on and on.

I don't know how to get started..one person says, cut out everything white, no carbs...another says try Weight Watchers (been there, done that with my first pregnancy 30 years ago). Every website I go to wants me to buy a pill, or something and everyone of them says something different! No wonder the entire country is so screwed up! :confused I don't have the time to be checking off points and counting calories etc. Another says hit the gym....great...IF I had extra money to put out. I just need some real, down to earth suggestions about what to do.

I have a husband who can eat anything and never gain an ounce. I cook for both of us...I eat what he eats...I know, big mistake but it's so much easier after working 10 hours a day and coming home exhausted. I can't afford to buy double groceries, stuff he likes, stuff I SHOULD be eating...Personal trainer? Forget that...I can barely meet my bills, hence my constant working.

So without extra money for a gym, or a trainer, or buying extra food, does anyone have anything they can share? I will say, I do have a stationery bicycle at home and I do like to hula hoop if that says anything. I live in a great neighborhood, I have a pool at my house so maybe now that the weather is hotter, I could swim? But how much is what I need, and how much is too much. I really just want to change how I look from the waist down. I have great boobs...lol and am okay with my arms, shoulders etc. Can anyone help??? PLEASE!!! Just hints on how to start doing what I need to do......Thanks so much!
Old 06-12-2014, 03:08 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Laney Sounds like you and I have a lot in common (but add two children to the picture for me ) My husband eats whatever he wants and manages to maintain his weight and I was eating the same stuff and ended up gaining weight over time. I started out needing to lose 20-25 pounds and I've managed to get 20 off and keep it off for 6 months and I'm still fighting with the remaining 5 lbs. I did this without counting calories and without going to a gym. Here's what worked for me:

1) I personally don't lose weight unless I exercise at a high intensity for 30-60 minutes on a daily basis. I don't go to a gym, so there is minimal cost. I set up a small gym at home and made up my own program. I alternate 40 seconds strength exercise followed by 10 seconds rest, then 40 seconds cardio exercise followed by 10 seconds rest. I do that for 3 rounds then move onto the next circuit for 3 rounds, and so on. I do 8 circuits and this takes me 40 minutes. The only equipment I use for these workouts is a jump rope, an interval timer and dumbbells. To keep this post short, I won't put up a sample workout, but if you're interested I can post an example for you. I also use an elliptical and treadmill (or outdoor running) when I don't feel like a circuit workout.

2) If I watch my portion intake and be honest about what I'm eating, I can get away without counting calories. I've counted calories and WW Points in the past, but I can't do that forever...it would drive me crazy! I had to figure out what I could do and sustain for the rest of my life. My husband and children don't usually eat what I eat. The kids are pretty easy to cook for...they eat simple stuff...so I cater to them. If I'm making something for myself that I know my husband will eat, I'll cook for the both of us. If he won't eat what I'm making, I'll just cook frozen crap for him. I know that may sound mean...and maybe it is...but I can't be a mother to him and tell him what he SHOULD be eating. I have enough work to take care of myself and my children, so if he's happy eating frozen lasagna...so be it

3) I get on the scale on a daily basis. This may sound excessive, but I've learned that if I avoid the scale, I'm only avoiding the truth which for whatever reason, seems to give me the green light to get lazy with watching what I'm eating and skipping workouts. I certainly allow myself indulgences now and then, but I always weigh in to keep myself on track in the long run.

4) I had to lose the all or nothing mentality. In the past, if I ate something I deemed 'bad' I would throw in the towel for the rest of the day...which then turned into days...sometimes weeks. You don't need to be perfect...you just need to keep trying. Small daily changes do add up to bigger changes...over time...you have to keep at it. Honestly, I still struggle with the all or nothing mentality, but I keep working on it.

5) This is a big one....very important....stop looking to media to tell you what is right for you! I've spent more time than I care to admit trying to find the 'secret' to weight loss. You're not going to find this in a book. There is no food group you need to omit to lose weight....with the exception of junk food of course! Our bodies need the 3 macro nutrients carbs, protein and fat. We are in a time where convenience is necessary! Our lives are so darned busy...this is why there are industries developing crap and telling us we need it to achieve health. In my opinion, this is all crap! Focus on simple, healthy food and you're on the right path. I'm sure you've heard it before...shop the perimeter of the store...that's where you'll find fruits, veggies, meat and dairy....stay away from anything packaged.

So where should you start?

- I suggest getting a note book and start by writing down your goals. Write down your ultimate goal of 20-25 lbs., but break it up to say 4 pounds a month. This may not sound like a lot, but with only needing to lose a smaller amount of weight, trust me you'll be doing very well to lose 4 pounds a month. That will get you to your goal in about 6 months. Maybe you could do it faster, but this is what worked for me.

- Plan out an exercise schedule and put it in your book. Every time you get in your planned workout, cross it off in green...missed it cross it off in orange. At the end of the month, be proud of all you accomplished and then next month, try to have even more green that orange. Challenge yourself!

- Every morning when you wake up, before you step out of bed, think about your short term goal. Think about all you have to be proud of. Even if you haven't been 'perfect', celebrate your accomplishments and set your intentions for the day. Every day is a new start, make the most if it!

- Last, stop listening to the noise. No website, magazine, book, etc. is going to help you get to your goal. Reducing your portions and adding in exercise is all you need!

If you want help developing a workout plan, let me know....I love this stuff!
Old 06-12-2014, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator

Hey Laney,

Debbie has given you super-sound advice above. The truth is that you don't need to spend a lot of money to lose weight; it's all just a racket, honestly. I personally bought a set of workout DVDs and use those at home. I live in an apartment complex with a gym, and I use that sometimes if I'm sick of the DVDs.

You don't even need to buy dumbbells! You can lift everyday items at home. Lifting books, milk cartons, etc (something that fits into your hand) is a good way to get strength training in. Lunges, squats, etc. have you lifting and lowering your own body weight, and trust me, that is enough.

I'll add a couple of things to what Debbie said above:

Drink water - and only water! This isn't to say you can't have a beer or a glass of wine or whatever now and again, but drink water, and lots of it. You should be aiming for at least 5 full glasses a day, if not more. Drinking lots of water will flush out sodium and help you quickly lose any water weight you might be carrying around. You will pee a lot. If my pee is coming out mostly-clear, I know I'm well-hydrated. Dark yellow urine means you're not drinking enough water.

You know what you should be eating If we all ask ourselves, most of us are intelligent enough to know what should be going into our bodies. Junk food is a no-brainer, but you probably also know you should be eating fruits and veggies and lean sources of protein (chicken and seafood etc.) rather than heavier foods. Don't make it complicated!

Also, just so you know, I too have great boobs and don't want to lose the ladies BUT, you can't spot lose, if you're going to lose weight, it's going to come from all over! The good thing about that is that your boobs are still going to look awesome even if they're a slightly smaller size, because it's all about the proportions! If your waist is smaller, they're still going to look killer.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:48 AM
FitDay Member

Excellent additions Terri! Water is so important when losing and when maintaining! When I said Laney and I have a lot in common...except add in two children....I should have said and minus the boobs! At my highest weight, I was finally a good size B...now that I've lost weight...I'm back to a large A, small B. Sigh They may be small, but they fit my frame Laney, I was going to suggest that you focus on the things you like about your body, something I needed to do when I first started out, but seems like you got that down pat. That's awesome!
Old 06-12-2014, 04:45 AM
FitDay Member

Wow..THank you both sooo much! It all seems to make much more sense. Just keeping myself off the internet and away from magazines with all those gorgeous women and their gorgeous bodies will be a big step!

I'd completely forgotten about the perimeter thing when shopping. It's not going to be easy because of hubby..he's always ready for hamburger helper, pasta, etc. But I guess it all boils down to making changes that are good for me. We love to grill and with the nice hot days now here in Florida it's a every night occurance. I suppose the best thing to do is just make sure there's plenty of good healthy veggies to throw on.

I have a hard time getting motivated to exercise...it's like a mental block when someone says "work out"...I want to shove it all out of my head. That is what is going to be the hardest for me. I would love to see how you set your work out up Debbie if you don't mind. Maybe you could just email them to me? [email protected]. That would be great.

Terri, I drink a LOT of water..I have a bottle at my desk all day every day at work, and yes at night I do cheat some and have a soda, usually with dinner but try not to drink anything but water later on. The weekends is when I usually wait for a wine cooler or beer if we go out. And I know what you mean about peeing a lot...people at work must think I"m off my rocker as I'm in the bathroom at least every other hour...and yes, it's clear so that's a good sign!

I really appreciate you both taking the time to answer and help me. I think if I can get into a routine that I know is good for me, that will make a difference. But one other question, what is both of your suggestions for when you get hungry? I mean, at work around 10 I want so badly to grab cookies but been eating protein bars with a bottle of water instead. Lunch is usually leftovers from the night before along with yogurt and then I'm always good til I get home. I eat lunch at 1:00 but that stretch between 7 and 1 is a killer! I do eat breakfast, usually cereal but mornings are so hard for me!

Again, thank you both for your input. I have to do something fast and I know losing weight is not something that happens overnight. I will get a notebook and start writing down my goals, and my meals and work out plans and hope for the best. I hate the thought of having to buy a size "big" bathing suit this year! Thanks again!
Old 06-12-2014, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator

Hey Laney -

Hunger in the mornings used to be a HUGE thing for me. I find I have to eat a breakfast with high protein and/or high fiber to ward it off. If I eat just normal cereal, like cheerios or something, I'm starving by 10:30. I had a really hard time making breakfast part of my routine because mornings are just fuzzy and I can't have coffee, haha. I don't even have kids in the equation, so I know it'd just be harder!!

I found that if I was going to eat cereal, Kashi cereals (particularly the high-protein cereal) really work to ACTUALLY keep me full until lunch. I usually add a banana or blueberries. The Kashi cereal plus skim milk and fruit usually feels like a really well-rounded breakfast.

However, my go-to is to eat greek yogurt, or 1-2 eggs, or a thin bagel with peanut butter for the protein. I'll often scramble some eggs with cut up pepper and onion in them for a breakfast that's roughly 200-220 calories. I can't eat plain greek yogurt (I find it too bitter) so I do get the stuff that's flavored, but the sugar isn't horrendous. Greek yogurt is fairly low cal/high protein (a lot of the cups are just 100 calories) so if you wanted to eat a protein bar on the side or a thin bagel on the side or something like an apple, or a banana, or berries (sometimes I do) that helps me too

Your solution of having a protein bar ready is good. You could also try smoothies with protein powder in them, maybe?

Anyway, those are some suggestions I have! Protein and fiber ward off hunger!
Old 06-12-2014, 06:05 AM
FitDay Member

Hi again
Sure, I can email you something and I may also post the workouts somewhere here on the site...maybe it can help someone else. In order for me to put something together for you, can you tell me how much time you want to commit? Even if you start out with only 20 minutes a day until you fall in love with exercise , it's a great place to start! Also, I assume since you aren't working out currently, that you would be a beginner? Do you have any limitations like joint issues or old injuries that are bothered by certain exercise? Tell me a bit about yourself and I'll put some thing together for you When it comes to motivation, that's tough for everyone. I find posting here daily helps keep me motivated and focused.

As far as snacks go, I personally don't eat protein bars or cereal. I try my best to steer clear of processed food (I have Crohn's so ditching processed foods was a must for me). My go to snacks are plain Greek yogurt (if I have Greek yogurt for breakfast, I'll add fruit to it), raw almonds, any and all fruit, veggies and hummus, edamame, air popped popcorn topped with parm cheese and boiled egg. Another fav of mine are cookie dough bites!!! Soo yummy! I make up a huge batch of these and store them in the fridge and eat them throughout the week...these would be a great sub for the protein bar!

Hope this helps!
Old 06-12-2014, 11:40 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Debbie and Terri, thanks again for your help! I'm not going to say I'm new to exercise, I just never really liked it! lol (If that makes any sense). A couple of years ago I owned a treadmill and walked every single day on it and that along with my hula hoop, I lost 12 pounds. Managed to keep it off for a year or so, then we moved, then I started working longer hours (sitting at a computer all day) and yep...on went the pounds again. LIke I said, it's hard having a hubby who is a meat and potatoes man and does not like frozen anything! So I find having to cook for him and then myself is major, not to mention expensive! I just can't afford that! I told him last night in fact that I wanted to start loosing weight again and he agreed to salads, chicken etc, but only because he has to start eating more healthy because of his job...it's very hard on him all day and he works out in the sun....so........I think you get my drift...

Anyway, I would like to commit at least 30 minutes a daily to exercise and that does not include the time I plan to ride my exercise bike and hula hoop. I can do both of those things while watching a complete show on TV! So that type of exercise I don't mine, but I guess my basic problem is, I don't know where to start or exactly what to do. I have 5 lb handweights....I know it isn't much but like I said, maybe a start...I love Greek yogurt and have it every day at lunch so maybe I'll start switching my lunch around a little and make that my breakfast. Also I'm not opposed to smoothies as they are quick and easy with my bullet....
Looking forward to getting started....I'm going to buy my notebook today and start keeping track of everything. When you email Debbie, could you also give me an example of how you set up your notebook? Thanks again for all your help....

Brian I appreciate your input but like I said in my original post I am not so sure about taking any kind of pills...I would like to do this on my own with the right foods and exercise. I've spent a fortune on pills and supplements only to find they didn't work for me! but thank you!
Old 06-12-2014, 11:43 PM
FitDay Member

Oh, and could I get the recipe for the cookie dough bites! They sound wonderful!!!
Old 06-13-2014, 02:00 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Laney

I meant to post the Cookie Dough Bite recipe...not just tell you about them! LOL! Here's the recipe along with a few other recipes I love and I've posted here on Fitday.

Cookie Dough Bites
Scampi
Chicken Piccata
Spaghetti and Meatballs
Lemon Garlic Roast Chicken
Spinach and Cheese Calzones

I'll work on getting that workout to you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.