Notices

Thigh Gap

Old 01-02-2014, 11:33 AM
FitDay Member

Default Thigh Gap

Okay, so I was 97 pounds about a year back, then I suddenly got to 120 and lost my thigh gap. It was horrible for me cuz all my friends were still like 105. So I lost 10 pounds in a week, but after the first 10 it gets harder, and I still don't have my thigh gap back... Okay, so I'll stop with the rambling, basically, I can't go to the gym, it's just not my scene, so I need some good thigh exercises I can do at home.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

You'll need to reduce the size of your thighs to get it back. Working them will build/tune them but you can't spot reduce. You can spot build but not reduce. Some people gain and lose in different areas than others due to genetics. If you want that gap back, get down to your previous weight.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:16 PM
FitDay Member

This "thigh gap" thing is not a reasonable goal for everyone. Some people's thighs will never gap even when very thin because of bone structure (knock-knees, narrow hips) and/or muscular thighs. Thigh exercises might make your thighs stronger and look better, but will not make them smaller.

You also can't lose 10 pounds of fat in a week unless you're, say, >300 pounds to begin with; the reason your weight loss is stalling is because most of that 10-lb. loss is water and you don't have any more water weight to spare. You can't expect to lose more than 1-2 pounds a week of fat, so if you keep watching calories and working out at a healthy pace, you'll see the scale start dropping again in a month or so. It takes time.

Lose a few more pounds if it will be safe for you to do so, but 97 pounds is probably not good for you (hard to say without knowing your height). If you've grown taller since last year, you *should* weigh at least 5-10 pounds more than you did then. If you starve yourself to become underweight, you may develop scary, potentially permanent heart and bone conditions, your metabolism may be ruined for months or years (making it harder to stay thin), you will feel weak and lightheaded all the time, and while you might feel like you look better that skinny, your hair and skin will look terrible from dehydration and low body fat and your breath will smell bad, and then people will have worse things than your thighs to make fun of you for. This stupid thigh gap thing is not worth an eating disorder.

If you think other people are looking at your thighs touching and judging you for it (chances are, they are not), wear more skirts and not-super-tight pants and no one will notice. And stop comparing your weight with your friends. Maybe they are shorter than you or maybe they are lying or maybe they will catch up next year when they hit puberty. Don't worry about it.