Notices

So easy to slip up

Old 03-14-2010, 03:12 PM
FitDay Member

Default So easy to slip up

I've been doing great this past week, keeping my calories at around 1200 and getting plenty of exercise.

I budgeted for a glass of hard cider and 10 tortilla chips on Saturday night, while watching a DVD with my husband. But my cider ran out before my chips did, and the chips are salty, so I poured myself another glass of cider. Then my husband reminded me that we hadn't been using the delicious, fresh salsa that was in the fridge. So we filled up a big bowl with chips to eat with the salsa. I sat there and grazed, and polished almost all of them off myself.

So there was like 500 calories I hadn't planned on. Not the end of the world, but if you're trying to lose weight by cutting calories, well...you know.

Okay, so this morning I got up and I knew I needed to log in all that extra stuff. I also knew that today, being 3/14, was "Pi Day". My husband and I forget Pi Day every year, and say, "Oh, we should have celebrated with some pie!" Yeah, we're total geeks! But this year we did remember, and had plans to eat pie. I had two slices of pie, both with ice cream. I was planning on just making this a not-very-nutritious day, and not bother eating much else--but my husband, who is British, made some delicious steak and ale pie for dinner, and it smelled so good. So I had a little bit of that. Then some more. Then some more. Then I kept sneaking little bits of beef as I was clearing up the dishes, rationalizing that it's good to balance all that cherry pie with some good protein. Yeah, right.

Finally, being to stuffed too exercise, I log onto FitDay and try to tally up my calories for the past two days. Both days I ended up eating more than I burned.

So tomorrow, I'm back on track. I just feel like getting derailed was something that snuck up on me. Like that character from the Harry Potter books, Mad-Eye Moody, says: "Constant vigilance!!!" That's what you need in order to lose weight. You blink, and next thing you know, you've eaten too much and gained back what you worked so hard to lose.

Argh.

Sigh. I just wanted to share that, for some reason. Mostly to hold myself accountable. I am proud of myself that I logged it all in, although I had to do some guess work, because I got sloppy with weighing food.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Default Thank you!

Elderwanda, I really appreciate you posting, being accountable, and being honest. You are helping yourself and all of us. We all have those days and having you bring it to the forefront reminds me, and I'm sure others, to be careful and vigilant. It is, as you said, so easy to slip, especially in the process of building new habits and letting go of old ones.

I commend you for logging everything in, as well. That could not have been an easy task. You are right to be proud .

The good news is that tomorrow is a new day. The Fitday log is blank and the possibilities of good choices are plentiful.

(I guess you also answered my other question...when I saw your login name the other day I wondered if you were a HP fan ).

Thanks again for putting it out there.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:37 PM
FitDay Member

Elderwanda: I have been there many times! I couldn't help thinking of the Little Feat song "it's so easy to slip, it's so easy to fall, and let your memory slip into nothing at all". (Gee, wonder what generation I grew up in!) But using the tools on this site has helped me keep my focus on moderating my slips signficantly. I believe you'll get yourself back on track, too, because you are aware of what's happening...that's half the battle. Today's a new day with a clean slate. Go for it, girl!
Old 03-15-2010, 01:59 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you so much for posting!! I was feeling like I was the only one that slips up for time to time. This weekend was one of those times for me. Friday at work we had a baby shower for a co-worker and there was so much good food. I tried to be good - but still went over my calorie goal. Then Sat. was even worse and I didn't even realize how bad it was. My boyfriend and best friend went on a road trip all day - and we ate out for every meal. I doubled and then some what I normally want to eat for calories. Sunday I was much better...but when I logged my food today - I was shocked at Saturdays. But today is a new day and I'm back on track!!

Hope everyone has great week! I have set a new walking goal for myself for this week...walk everynight and add hills to my route!!
Old 03-15-2010, 08:29 AM
FitDay Member

"You blink, and next thing you know, you've eaten too much and gained back what you worked so hard to lose."

I totally know that feeling. I think for me at least is not to allow it to be a slip back to old behaviors. Weight loss is about change and changing what is comfortable, what we are used to. I have been eating for comfort as far back as I can recall and I can not expect it to no longer be a part of my life. I had three (count them) three days last week where I made poor food choices for the sake of self soothing. When I saw that I had a gain in weight, it was the most difficult thing NOT to make myself feel bad for the choices. Instead I was nice to myself. Isn't that why we are trying to lose weight, so that we can be good to ourselves? I had a small weight loss this morning and am trying to make good choices today.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:15 AM
FitDay Member

I think the desire to binge is completely natural, especially when you're dieting, your body is being starved and it knows. Do you ever feel like your body has taken control of your brain when you slip up? What is that all about, is there a chemical that clouds the brain or something? I've often wondered about that.

When I first got started with my dieting I couldn't allow myself even a bite of anything that was not part of the plan. I know myself well enough to be absolutely certain of complete derailment. But the longer I've been doing this the better I feel about being able to get all the weight off this time. But you are so right, sometimes the urge to binge is beyond irresistible. Since I need to be hard-core for at least a year to reach my weight goal, I've learned that sometimes a single bite of something is enough to settle my urge to eat, but not enough to derail all my efforts. This morning my youngest daughter wanted to eat cashews, which I adore. I will sit and eat cashews until I'm sick from them - seriously, and I could feel myself slipping down that very slippery slope. So before anything bad happened, I poured her a little bowl, put the lid back on and read the label on the can. Okay that particular can said that 50 pieces had 160 calories, so I counted out 10 pieces into my hand, snapped on the lid and slid the can all the way to the back of the cupboard, closed the door and tossed the entire handful down the hatch all at once. It was lovely really. And just that very controlled 32 calorie heavenly mouthful settled my nearly out-of-control desire to binge. And then that little monster got out the almonds...
Old 03-15-2010, 09:27 AM
FitDay Member

Seems to me this is the week for binges. I dusted off my "day off" 2200 calorie "custom food" for the first time in at least 2 months. I made it when I was starting out, planning on giving myself one day a week while I was adjusting, but didn't want to just skip the log completely. I may try to piece together the day, but I really am not sure what I ate. Between the hubs grieving and me and the kids being sick...yeah went off the track for a few days. Haven't weighed yet, I'll do that next week, but today it's back on the wagon, 1560 calories and an hour at the gym. The sun is shining, maybe I can talk the family into an after dinner walk......

One day at a time is all I can do. Today I did good.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:02 AM
FitDay Member

Well, I'm very pleased to say that so far today, I'm back on track, and even managed to do a bunch of exercise. Yay!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who slips up once in a while. Okay, I knew I wasn't, but sometimes it's nice to have it acknowledged. I remember doing Weight Watchers Online a few years ago, and I posted something about how difficult it was to keep from nibbling here and there. I had hoped to get responses like these ones, with people simply acknowledging that, yes, it is hard. What I got instead were a few comments about how if you don't stick to the plan, then you don't really want to lose weight. That wasn't particularly helpful.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

No, not particularly helpful...that seems more like brainwashing, and if you are going to be that rigid, your chances of going off track are actually much higher. Personally, I think it is more important to figure out how to correct and compensate for slip ups than to think you can always control them from happening to begin with...you can't control for every possibility and it's better to learn how to deal with it, IMO.

Yes, it IS hard. There are a lot of things in my pantry that are calling my name this instant! That's why I'm typing and chewing gum !
Old 05-04-2010, 12:14 PM
FitDay Member

This is the exact reason how i ended up gaining 7lbs and now i feel ugly in myself again. I started adding too many treats day after day. Then the night time snacking returned-how i havent gained a ton ill never know!! But its now stopped 3 days ago as a result of joining fitday. I dont know how id have coped without you all!!
The best thing is now i can come upstairs early instead of sitting watching tv and going to fridge on every break-instead i log in and chat to everyone. Its great!!!!!!