Notices

any encouragement?

Old 04-27-2010, 04:36 AM
FitDay Member

Default any encouragement?

hey,
i just started here...i've been overweight almost my whole life...and i now need to lose at least 40 pounds, and want to lose 70 (i'm 5' 2"). i've always given up because i'd lose weight and gain it all back...but i'm really motivated this time.
anyone else out there that has been in the same boat, but has lost some weight and felt great about it now? i just need a little push.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

Default *Push!

Hi thin_thin, I can relate to what you're saying. I was always a chunky kid and probably gained and lost the same 15-20 pounds over and over and over again beginning in high school. For the most part I was about 127-130 but the seesaw went up and down with marriage, pregnancy, grad school, etc. I am the same height as you, 5'2", and I think I was probably about 145-150 at my highest weight, though it was always changing. I would lose the most when stressed, but that's not a good way to go.

Currently I am at my lowest adult weight. I have only maintained the loss (of about 19 lbs this time) for a month and a half, so I'm definitely no expert, but using FitDay will help you tremendously. It has definitely taken me to a lower weight than I ever achieved before, and in a healthier way. You will learn so much about how to structure your eating and exercise to work for you; it's all there in black and white, and the support here is phenomenal. Jump onto the boards and ask for what you need and make yourself accountable.

There is a subgroup for people wanting to lose about 50 pounds, I think; also one for 5-15, 30, and 100...you could hop into any of those (we have someone at 5-15 who has more to lose but that is her first goal) and get to know the ladies and get awesome support.

Good luck; you can do it!!!

Last edited by cjohnson728; 04-27-2010 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:35 AM
FitDay Member

Push-push, shove-shove, boot to the fanny. Consider yourself pushed LOL, well virtually anyway.

Hey thin_thin, I'm 5'-2" too, and weighed 244 at my heaviest in Sept '09. I've been heavy most of my life as well, although there were times when I dieted and got down to a healthy weight, but like you I always gained it all back (and then some). Last fall I started dieting and lost 16 pounds, then between Thanksgiving and Christmas I went off diet and let myself eat whatever I wanted. Very bad, because I gained back 10 of those hard won 16 pounds. My 2010 New Year's resolution was to "lose weight and get in shape", but I didn't put a number on the weight part. I think I was living in denial or something. Christmas Day we got a Wii Fit Plus and it told me I weighed exactly twice what I should, talk about a downer Christmas gift... Needless to say, I started dieting the very next morning. The diet went well, but usually diets start off strong for me, and then fail once I get tired of it or hit a hard plateau. But then something happened, my brother-in-law's father passed away. I didn't know the man well, but it was an ah-ha moment for me all the same. While attending the funeral dinner it occurred to me that my brother-in-law has lost both of his parents to obesity and is now essentially an adult orphan. My brother-in-law is 10 years younger than me, I can't imagine what my life would have been like the last 10 years without my parents. I don't want that to happen to my kids either, and I was most certainly headed down that road. That's when I went from "New Year resolutioner" to "serious lady on a dietary mission". So far so good, as of this morning I've lost 67 pounds, with every intention of getting down to 120 pounds and staying there for the rest of my life. At this point I'm training to do my first 5K race, never in my wildest dreams would I have considered it before (not even as a teenager). I can buy clothes off the regular racks, and I feel like I did 15-20 years ago, my kids are hard pressed to pass me. Using fitday has been a big part of my journey, it really helps me keep on top of my calories and my workout. It's also a really good way to analyze a plateau and work through them more easily than I ever have before.

Last edited by almeeker; 04-27-2010 at 06:44 AM.