FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Losing weight too fast after giving birth (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/9236-losing-weight-too-fast-after-giving-birth.html)

i8itwithketchup 03-03-2013 04:54 AM

Losing weight too fast after giving birth

Hi all,
I'm a little concerned with the weight that I'm losing after having my baby. I gained 48 pounds with the pregnancy and I was about 30 pounds overweight before getting pregnant. I had her on February 6th so its only been 3 and a half weeks but I've already lost 27 pounds. I'm loosely following Weight Watchers to help keep from gaining more weight like I did with my first daughter but I'm adding extra calories every day since I'm breastfeeding. Also, I cut out soda completely. I'm not doing any significant exercise other than housework and running after a preschooler. It just makes me nervous how quickly I'm losing the weight. I was expecting to have to dig in a make a concerted effort like I did after the first one. I want to lose weight in a healthy and sustainable way and I'm worried that this fast weight loss will have adverse effects on my health. Has anyone else had any experience with this?

rancherwife 04-22-2013 09:45 AM

I gained about the same amount as you with my pregnancy and was also 30 pounds overweight before I got pregnant! I lost most of the pregnancy weight without trying at all in the first 2-3 months of breastfeeding, but the other 30 pounds I had to finally dig in a year after my son's birth to get rid of. I would say what you have lost is pretty normal, based on my experience anyway!

Good luck with your journey! And congratulations on your daughter!

volleyballgranny 04-26-2013 05:09 AM

Why is that a problem?

I was about 20 lbs overweight and gained 25 lbs with my first child. I lost 29 lbs between giving birth and leaving the hospital. My doctor didn't think there was anything wrong with it. In fact, over the next few months (while breast-feeding my son) I lost down to 25 lbs below my pre-pregnant weight. My doctor was very happy with the weight loss.

One of the things about breast-feeding is that it allows you to eat a little more (healthy foods), but still lose weight. Our bodies are designed that way.

Of course, with my second baby, everything changed. :p

carenag 04-26-2013 07:47 AM

My mom got skinny too after giving birth to our youngest sibling. She keep it by eating the right diet.

lookingtoconceive 05-17-2013 02:40 AM

I lost about 30 pounds in three weeks after my first was born most of it was water weight but after that I just as quickly gained it all back.

daviss477 05-27-2013 08:37 AM

Science ;)

So breast feeding requires a TON of calories, so if you are doing things the same but breast feeding, you're probably just fine. But still, I'm no doctor :)

Do you watch Desperate Housewives? There is an episode where Lynette goes back to work and a REALLY fit mom is breast feeding a 5 year old (I think?) and she thought it was gross. She tricked the kid into drinking cow milk and the mom got pissed cause she gained weight. Kinda funny :)