Notices

Falling Off The Diet Waggon

Old 04-22-2010, 02:38 PM
FitDay Member

I fall off the wagon all the time. I've just spent a few days out of town and have been eating poorly. I could wait until Monday to start again but I'm making the change today-no more Monday starts for me. You can do it too, there are so many good tips to follow and the support here is great too! I read this thread to get some inspiration after my two and a half day binge and it's working! Thanks everyone!
Old 04-22-2010, 02:55 PM
FitDay Member

I look at it a little different. If I over eat one day I just try not to eat as much the next and the two days together even out. I am not dieting. That = depriving myself. I am eating until I am comfortable. Course I only put so much on my plate with my eye on trying to eat what is good for me. The only thing I am totally avoiding is cookies cakes sweets. If I even eat one bite I am sunk and the cravings start in and it only makes it hard for me.

Some one here told me about switching the calories up. More one day less another day and so on. Over all for a week is same amount just I get to splurge one day but not every day. Seems to be working. I am only down 15 pounds in 8 months+ but it is staying off even when we had burgers and fries one day at greasy spoon. Gasp and not one lick of guilt for doing it either. We have to enjoy life too and not just be consumed by a diet.

For me I need to get out and exercise more. Walking more. Now the weather is better and my leg is healed I will be doing more of that.

Maggie
Old 04-23-2010, 05:08 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by missmaggieelizabeth
I look at it a little different. If I over eat one day I just try not to eat as much the next and the two days together even out. I am not dieting. That = depriving myself. I am eating until I am comfortable. Course I only put so much on my plate with my eye on trying to eat what is good for me. The only thing I am totally avoiding is cookies cakes sweets. If I even eat one bite I am sunk and the cravings start in and it only makes it hard for me.

Some one here told me about switching the calories up. More one day less another day and so on. Over all for a week is same amount just I get to splurge one day but not every day. Seems to be working. I am only down 15 pounds in 8 months+ but it is staying off even when we had burgers and fries one day at greasy spoon. Gasp and not one lick of guilt for doing it either. We have to enjoy life too and not just be consumed by a diet.

For me I need to get out and exercise more. Walking more. Now the weather is better and my leg is healed I will be doing more of that.

Maggie
Wow Maggie - you wrote exactly what I've been doing. I just started purposely eating more a couple of days a week and less on other days all averaging my target of 1200 per day per week. It seems to make me loose weight faster. I also treat myself but stay within my weekly calorie limit & HAVE to avoid certain foods or else I gain, stall & crave more (cookies, cake, pastries---drool). I've been ramping up my exercise slow & easy this time to avoid re-injuring the injuries I've gotten from doing high intensity workouts. Like you, I know I need to do more exercise and know that could do more - but am really taking my time about increasing my exercise. Not just being safe about it either - I'm basically a couch tater learning how to be a non-vegetable.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:21 AM
FitDay Member

Way to go Desertmountain. Whatever works. I am also trying not to get discouraged when I am not loosing. Take a tape measure out right now and get your measurements. Write it down on fit day under body. Then do it again in a few weeks. I found I lost lots of inches and no weight for quite awhile. Seems the bulk of me switched places. Clothes I could not get into I could wear again even when I had only lost a couple of pounds. I try to stay away from the scale. Hard to do some times. Just put it in a hard place to get to and you might loose your desire to use it. Heheheh

Maggie
Old 04-23-2010, 08:57 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by missmaggieelizabeth
Way to go Desertmountain. Whatever works. I am also trying not to get discouraged when I am not loosing. Take a tape measure out right now and get your measurements. Write it down on fit day under body. Then do it again in a few weeks. I found I lost lots of inches and no weight for quite awhile. Seems the bulk of me switched places. Clothes I could not get into I could wear again even when I had only lost a couple of pounds. I try to stay away from the scale. Hard to do some times. Just put it in a hard place to get to and you might loose your desire to use it. Heheheh

Maggie
Thanks for the reminder to do body measurements, for some reason I'd been putting it off for the past month so when I read your post I did my measurements. Yes! *arm pump The biggest change was losing 4 inches in my hips this month!! I knew I was losing more on the bottom than the top when I went clothes shopping last week, but I had no idea I'd shed that many inches.

That's so funny about putting the scale some place hard to reach to lose the desire to use it. I don't think it'd work for me, after a few days I'd start wondering about the numbers & then start fixating on it. LOL I agree with you though. It's hard not to weigh myself every morning & super hard not to get discouraged when it's not moving or moving in the wrong direction. The one good thing about being addicted to the scale and using Fitday (religiously logging every bite) is that I've discovered a lot of foods that consistently cause stalls or weight gain and avoiding them gives me better weight loss. So maybe it's not all that bad to weigh ourselves often. Hey, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Just so long as I remember, like you pointed out, that our progress isn't just measured with a scale. thanks again for the reminder to measure! What a great surprise that was. Have a wonderful weekend MissMaggieElizabeth
Old 04-23-2010, 11:37 AM
FitDay Member

OH Desertmountain I am so happy for you!!!! Yoo Hoo Way to go. And the scale thoughts are interesting too. I think I will see if I can pin point foods that do not play nice with my body. Can not hurt. I seem to be in stall mode again. So will see about measuring first and then check the scale.

You have a great weekend too.

Maggie
Old 04-25-2010, 10:25 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Topaz,
Fitday has been a godsend because it changed my mindset and allowed me to find support when I need it.

I am not now or will ever again be "on a diet". A diet in my mind consists of salad and cottage cheese. I've found that 4-6 oz bbq steak with a huge pile of veggies fits nicely into my daily calorie allowance (occasionally).

It takes a little time to figure out what works for you, what your calorie range will be, and what works in the way of activity level. I'm still figuring it out.

Above all, my best advice is to BE KIND TO YOURSELF. Most people are kinder and more patient with strangers than they are with themselves.

"The destination will be alot nicer if you enjoy the journey"
Old 05-03-2010, 07:48 AM
FitDay Member

Hi there im having the same problem as you. Im lacking motivation and the pounds are slowly creeping back on. In the meantime im pushing away the person i love the most all because im hating everypart of me. I have no confidence and really want to find thever old me again who my partner fell in love with.
I am determined to start properly as from this morning, not just with the eating but with the personality too.
Good luck with getting back your motivation!!!