Notices

Does anyone gain weight when they get sick?

Old 02-23-2011, 12:25 PM
FitDay Member

Default Does anyone gain weight when they get sick?

Hi all,
So I've come down with a sinus infection. I've been getting progressively worse since Friday, so I haven't been to the gym for almost a week now. When I get sick, I don't feel like cooking, so I've had take out a few times. I've also had a frap and some ice cream because it helps my itchy throat. Not to mention drinking a ton of water! I'm really scared to step on the scale and see what damage I've done! Why can't I be one of those people that loses their appetite when they are sick??
Old 02-23-2011, 12:51 PM
FitDay Member

Default Hve you tried?

Have you tried instead of ice cream like an Italian ice? Or really cold water? And what are you eating? I usually try to stick with Chinese soups when I don't feel good (wonton and hot and sour), but whatever you have could help too like those progressive soups that are light? I think that as long as you aren't COMPLETELY going off the beaten track you should be fine.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:51 PM
FitDay Member

Sorry to hear you're sick. .I'm the same way right now. What soothes a scratchy, itchy throat is. .buy a couple of lemons. .squeeze the juice out of two in a cup, add a spoonful of honey, then add boiling hot water. Enjoy. .this should help. I remember when I was coughing, and someone made this for me. It helped where cough syrup wouldn't. I was reading on some website that the lemon dries out the congestion, and the honey soothes your throat.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:01 PM
FitDay Member

I do, because when I'm run down I crave carbs. What I'm really after is energy, which I don't really get from the heavy starchy junk I eat when I'm not feeling well, but I crave it anyway.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:28 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Lizzycritter
I do, because when I'm run down I crave carbs. What I'm really after is energy, which I don't really get from the heavy starchy junk I eat when I'm not feeling well, but I crave it anyway.
Sounds just like me! Im sick with the flu and on top of that got a chest infection. Ive gained 5 pounds so far. And Im so mad! I dont think people are really believing how sick I am since I have not lost weight. I did lose some in the first week when it was the flu but later when I developed the chest infection I had to eat more just to have a minimal level of strength and I had sick-people-food like chicken and rice soup and fresh fruit and fruit juice and on came the pounds. Im gonna be working my ass off LITERALLY when I get well. Such wonderful misery to look forward to as sick as I already am. Damn!