Notices

first days struggles as I'm starting out

Old 08-14-2012, 11:04 AM
FitDay Member

Default first days struggles as I'm starting out

So.... my struggle after starting to track things over the last few days is the classic struggling with hunger as my body adjusts to eating a healthy but much lower number of calories than I'm probably used to (I've never been vigiliant about tracking portions and calories to keep them within reasonable limits). I've been getting a fairly good balance of grains, protein, vegetables, and fruits, and measuring it all out to get the right portion sizes, but I still find myself kind of hungry. Any advice for how to get through that adjustment? I don't think it's a matter of me being overzealous because I'm shooting for 1500-1800 calories that I should be having as a 24 year old female, but I also don't want to completely give in due to hunger. Do I just kind of hang in there as I adjust?
Old 08-14-2012, 03:51 PM
FitDay Member

I'd like to know how to get through this too! I just re-started the healthy lifestyle today. I've done it before & I love the feeling once I get to that point where I'm not always thinking about what I'll eat next & how hungry I am. But right now, I'm still in the "I'M SO HUNGRYYY!" phase. I don't remember how long it takes to get past it. So hopefully I can stick this out & keep moving forward. Good luck to you too!
Old 08-14-2012, 11:28 PM
FitDay Member

Hiya when i first started out i used to always think about food and always felt hungry. It was misery and didnt enjoy it. I was so used to eating HUGE portions and snacking on packets of biscuits, loads of crisps and chocolate.
I did love healthy foods but just craved the junk instead. I admit i was so greedy and out of control- it was continuous eating all day long.
When i switched to the smaller portions and actually waited for a few hours inbetween meals i actually found out what being hungry felt like.
The emptiness in my stomach was something i wasnt used to. But in my first week i lost 6 and 1/2 lbs!! This just kept me going and i remember week 3 had been tough because the novelty kinda went and i think i thought id have to eat like this forever. It then became a real lifestyle change and i went off all the junk cos i knew how bad it was for me and really enjoyed trying new foods. I honestly cant believe that i used to be that person and ate the way i did. Last week i went back to it and put on 2lbs! Just saying to myself on Monday- thats not who i am anymore has helped me get back on track. The out of control eating isnt normal for me anymore- its more of a revisit every so often. Ive learned to accept though that its ok to fall off the wagon but on Fitday someone said "its the getting back on thats the main thing"- that was 2 years ago and its stuck with me since!
Try and get a realistic image in your mind that you know you can achieve to become. Also try and think about what triggers the hunger pangs or cravings. Boredom, stress, time of day and think of ways to overcome them.
Your body will adjust and more importantly your mind and way of thinking about food will also adapt. Keep thinking positive and remember the important reasons for wanting to lose weight. You can do this!
Old 08-15-2012, 01:52 AM
FitDay Member

The first three weeks are the hardest. My suggestions are:
- sugar free gum
- keep your hands busy
- sugar free popsicles
- drink lots of water
- wait 20 mins when you want something to eat (do you still want it?)
- don't deprive yourself of anything (but do eat smaller portions)
- come here and talk about it (we've all been there, you are NOT alone)
Old 08-20-2012, 03:20 AM
FitDay Member

Today's my first day.. I love the support and the tips! Thanks so much for all the advice and to OP for starting this thread
Old 08-21-2012, 04:19 AM
FitDay Premium Member

When starting out (or climbing back on the wagon) I find it helpful to not worry about fats but focus on getting lots of protein and restricting carbs (i.e. only vegetables, no grains). When I have been following my plan for a couple of weeks I can start picking leaner proteins, but at the beginning I need the satiety. If my calories from carbs go above about 25 percent the cravings and hunger come back.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:34 PM
FitDay Member

I've found the opposite to be true for me...when I totally cut out grains it makes the cravings go crazy. I think my brain doesn't quite understand that a meal is food unless there's grains somewhere (maybe it's the texture?)

When I tried South Beach (no carbs at all for two weeks) I found myself constantly hungry, overeating, and stomachachy. However, even a tiny amount of grain (one rice cake, a slice of multigrain bread, or an 1/8 cup of wheat berries or quinoa) would satisfy me and I'd end up eating a lot less.

TL;DR--everyone's body works differently, so just listen to what your body needs (not what it wants, and telling the difference between the two can sometimes be tough.)