Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 08/13/12 >

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 08/13/12

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 08/13/12

Old 08-15-2012, 04:28 AM
FitDay Member

Hey everyone,

I was unable to post yesterday due to a very busy day here at work, and not being able to login to fitday from home. Kept getting an error (Yup posted it in the Fitday support section, with Nicaleh's - my error was similar to hers)

My goals this week - so far failing miserably on calories, carbs are up but not outrageous, but I did exercise this week! If I can login later from home I will post #'s.

I'm excited and newly motivated bcos my sister, 2 years younger than I and 20 lbs. lighter has decided to lose some weight - she is going to a wedding at the end of Sept. and wants to look good, so I now have a diet buddy and we are sharing motivational quotes, articles and recipes!

Mern, I found a recipe for flourless chocolate cake! It is made with egg whites - as soon as I figure out the sugarless angle I will post it in the low-carb recipes thread.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 08-15-2012, 04:35 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by ichalk2up
Thanks all for the welcome! You all are such an inspiration. I have a few challenges myself to overcome, but can already see why i am struggling to drop the weight. I'm newly type 2 diabetic and have to watch my carbs. Trying to eat enough calories without the carbs is incredibly hard. Its so easy to see why my metabolism is so poor . . . i do not eat enough and there's barely any exercise in my day to day. No fuel and no activity! Definitely have my work cut out for me!!
Welcome to our corner of the forums! I am also type 2 and watching my carbs. I just had my 3-month A1c and my blood sugar has gone from 16.5 to 9 in just over 2 months since starting this program. If you eat adequate protein and fat you will not be hungry - I will eat avocado & shrimp salad or tuna salad with mayo on a bed of lettus for breakfast - omelets are also good. Salad and pork chop or steak, tuna salad, hard boiled eggs for lunch, and protein with a side of veggies for dinner. I don't exercise much as I have a disability, but I am just starting to do some walking and stretching exercises these days. It's hard but we can do it!! (I did a yoga stretch video on Monday and boy, am I out of shape!!)

Just wanted you to know you're not alone and we're here if you have any questions or just want some company that understands where you are.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:27 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by ichalk2up
Thanks all for the welcome! You all are such an inspiration. I have a few challenges myself to overcome, but can already see why i am struggling to drop the weight. I'm newly type 2 diabetic and have to watch my carbs. Trying to eat enough calories without the carbs is incredibly hard. Its so easy to see why my metabolism is so poor . . . i do not eat enough and there's barely any exercise in my day to day. No fuel and no activity! Definitely have my work cut out for me!!
I too have recently been diagnosed as type 2 diabetic. I have the same problem as you eating enough calories and still be able to keep within my carb limit. I'm also on low protein diet so my carbs are always over the limit--not by much. Everywhere I look online a low carb diet is replaced by protein.

As for exercise start off slowly at first.
Good luck
Old 08-15-2012, 07:32 AM
FitDay Member

Hey everybody! I am having a good day in every area except exercise!!! I even managed to conquer the buffet without much damage, and got my house cleaned, but I can't make myself get on my bike. I will either make myself do it, or make this my day off this week... I'll let ya know later, I hope the suspense doesn't kill you.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:52 AM
FitDay Member

Hi all- 3 days in a row and im keping within calories. Done much better at mealtimes and not cooked so much that i will have loads leftover. Tv snacking has been minimum and alot less calories than before.
Spent all day cleaning the house to keep me busy as i wasnt going anywhere in the heavy rain and its my first day without rushing about. Funnily enough cleaning helps keep me relaxed. Drinking my water now whislt watching tv. Ive been telling myself that i will wake up alot happier if i dont eat alot each night and its true. I dont feel guilty eating breakfast then and the day goes more smoothly.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:30 AM
FitDay Member

OMG, I'm behind like 55 posts. Gonna try to get caught up today.

ichalk2up, welcome! So glad to have you with us. I agree with Nichaleh on the best tip--mine, too, would be to log everything. I weigh and measure everything--if you don't have one, I'd strongly recommend investing in a food scale. I got mine for only like $20 which included shipping and handling. I'm a low carber, too--reversed my pre-diabetes to normal blood sugar with a low carb diet and no meds. I do 25g net carbs per day with my doctor's supervision--total grams carbs less grams of fiber which you probably know are carbs that minimally impact blood sugar. I have a blood test (fasting blood glucose plus A1C) every three months to be sure my blood sugar is still normal (total grams carbs less grams of fiber which you probably know are carbs that minimally impact blood sugar). Most of my carbs come from low carb veggies (the green, non-starchy ones) but I do allow myself a 5 net carb low carb tortilla almost daily. Eating a lot of low carb veggies helps one get in the calories while getting plenty to eat. I also use Walker Diet Protein Shake Mix at only 1 net carb per serving--helps fill me up, especially if I add ground flaxmeal to it. As far as I know, vitacost.com is the sole distributor of that shake mix. It's loaded with nutrition. I agree with Frenchhen on the importance of blood sugar stability--both for health and as an aid in weight loss. I also agree with Cate that if you eat adequate protein and fat you will not be hungry.

Nichaleh, I hope your car is all fixed up now. Kudos on all the walking--even slow walking burns calories. I've heard it said that the time is more important than the speed anyway. My doc tells me 1/2 an hour five days a week, so 2 1/2 hours is fantastic!

Frenchhen, I love your goal of eating with awareness. I, too, am a firm believer in prayer--yes, even for potty training--moreso for the comfort and patience for the mother than for the quick mastery of dry undies. I also agree with you totally on the need to keep blood sugar stable--more healthful for us, PLUS the stability helps us in the weight loss process.

Judi, how's the Primal eating going? Nice goals this week! Kudos on giving up the protein bar Monday after dinner since you were happy with your numbers. Oh, that WAS funny. 17 years old isn't a little one. My "little ones" are ages 35 and 33. LOL

April 5-6 hours of cleaning and laundry plus 3 hours with the hedge trimmer is a lot of calorie burning. Kudos on that. I hope you enjoy your camping this coming weekend! Oh, that's so cool that you inspired your new friend--husband's work buddy's wife. It is hard for me to exercise with anyone because of hardships of having the time when the potential exercise buddy does, so I do better alone. I just have too many things to do in a day an can't adhere to a strict enough schedule. Aw, that's so nice that you enjoyed the cookout and your 15 year old helping entertain the 5 year old. Your Monday and Tuesday reports are fabulous! Don't be down on yourself much on the exercise! You walked two miles Monday and walked when shopping Tuesday--AND I see that scale is contintuing to show lower numbers! Thanks for your comments on my grandkids. You are so sweet. Right now, though, I'm catching up with this thread while my DH took the two youngest grandkids to the roller skating rink. I love them, but would rather twist off my big toe than tolerate the blaring music at the skating rink, so I let him do that. LOL

Kayla, that takes a lot of willpower to not hang onto the leftover pizza. Who's wedding are you planning? I guess it's good everyone is different--keeps away a lot of boredom--although I can't say I find all this danged food logging, weighing, and measuring entertaining. How's it going breaking up your exercise into three sessions? Such exciting times coming up-new job plus going back to school. My very best wishes on all that. Your Chicken Parmesan with Spinach sounded yummy. Unless your doctor advised you otherwise, don't jump from 33% carbs to 50% all at once. I can't imagine eating that many carbs, either--mine is closer to 10% and my doc thinks 25g per day is plenty for me. How many grams of carbs does your doc think is right for you? That may be a better guideline. If you do up your carbs, I would suggest adding only 5g at a time and keeping it at that for a few days to give your body time to adjust to the additional sugars so it doesn't react with a weight gain. See how your scale reacts before adding the next 5 grams. And if you're gonna add carbs, go for more green veggies or whole grains rather than bread, cereal, sweets. Oh, the joys of potty training. I'm with your Mom on that one--don't sweat it. My kids did the same thing--no sooner than they got up they'd wet or soil their training pants. Norah will get it when she's ready. Kudos on your exercise. And thanks for your encouragement on mine, whether formal or not. OMG, I love Chinese. I hope you had a lovely visit with your grandparents. Kudos on conquering the buffet without much damage! That's self-control!!! Got a good chuckle out of your bike exercise--will you do it or will you make it your day off. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the answer! LOL Actually, I wound up making MONDAY one of my two days off exercise--hate that beause now I have to exercise 5 days in a row to take off exercise Sunday which is also the day of my DH's family reunion picnic.

Tracey, kudos on facing up to your 2 lb. gain. I'm up a pound and don't know why but I'm just going to keep on doing what I've BEEN doing and I know it'll come off. You know what you need to do and how to do it--by the end of this week I'll bet you'll have shed some or all of the regain. My biggest temptation, too, is even snacking. I strive to pre-log a healthful snack, but I don't always stick to that. Ouchie on the toy falling on your head! Sometimes stuff like that is enough to make a grown woman cry! You're doing a great job, I see by your report today! Three days in a row keeping within calories, doing better at mealtimes, planning for minimal leftovers. MAJOR kudos on the TV snacking being under better control! You sound like my little sister who gets relaxation out of cleaning. I just can't grasp that concept. LOL I agree breakfast is really important--especially having protein for breakfast for energy and aid in weight loss.

Cassie, as always, thanks so much for your encouragement.

Cate, I do hope you can create some ME time. So important for one's physical health and sanity! How'd your exercise DVDs go? I love Denise Austin's soft voice. Wonderful that your sis is your new diet buddy! Best wishes to her, too. Looking forward to the low carb flourless chocolate cake recipe! Low cholesterol, too, with the egg whites! Yum! Ooh, major kudos on getting your blood sugar down from 16.9 to 9 in just over two months!

Nobe, must have been awful for your husband witnessing that car crash. I hope you finally got some ME time after doing all that housework, going to your Mom's and getting kiddo in bed. Great reports for Monday and Tuesday! Way to go!

Mike and Tori, you two crack me up. I did get a good idea from your banter, though. I'm playing around with a low carb almond torte recipe and now am thinking about getting some rum extract to use in place of the vanilla. Can't get the real thing but I used to love rum balls (like bourbon balls) and rum in cakes, egg nog, fruit cake, etc.

Mike, I do hope you can get back to healthful eating soon. But I understand--when I get really busy on a project I have good intentions of making myself stop to eat, but I don't always follow through.

Last edited by Mern; 08-15-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:50 PM
FitDay Member

Hello all! Well, I ended up making it my day off. Which I later regretted because today was apparently John's last day at work for this week, and I hate working out with him home. So I probably won't until Saturday. However, I think I may go for a run in the morning. Anyway, here are my #'s for today.

1) Stay within calorie limits. Yes, 945.
2) Get 4 workouts done. M-Y. T-Y. W-N.
3) Keep carbs @or under 33%. 30%
4) Get to bed by 10:30. Yes.
5) Drink more water! Yes.

Other:
1) Wedding planning. Yes.
2) Stick with budget, and STOP OVERSPENDING! Yes.

Mern, I am planning my wedding. The big day is next June and I hope to lose about 30lbs before then. I am actually really loving breaking my exercise up. It is easier to fit into my day, because its only about 15-20 minutes at a time, and it is supposed to keep you metabolism up all day. I haven't made the jump up to 50% carbs, it just seems too drastic. Norah is getting better with the potty, when I say "lets go potty" she yells her version of the word "potty" and runs to the restroom. I'll call that progress. I also hate when I mess up my exercise schedule by skipping a day. That's exactly what I did today.

Tracey, I am with you on the breakfast thing. I was never ever a breakfast eater. But I have started "closing my kitchen" at 8 pm and not opening it again until 7 am, and it has me just about starving when I wake up in the morning. It only took about 3 weeks for it to become an essential part of my routine.

Cate, I'm glad you found a buddy! I loved having my sister as a diet buddy, but she wasn't quite ready and it won't click for her until she is. So I'll have to wait and just be there for her when she is ready.

Ok everybody, I'm gonna go give Norah a bath and put myself in bed. Going running in the morning!! Goodnight!
Old 08-15-2012, 02:26 PM
FitDay Member

Didn't log, Monday and Tuesday but know from experience I was pretty well on target, so I'm counting those days as YES if I'm sure it was on target even though I don't have exact numbers and blue if it's "iffy."

Wednesday Report:
Exercise 5 days day off, Informal, YES
Water 64 oz. YES, YES, YES
Clean Eating YES, YES, NO
Calorie limit 1500 YES, YES, 1112
Sat Fat average 11% OK, OK, 13%
Net carbs YES, YES, 26.1g
Fiber Average YES, YES, 40g
Protein average 120g YES. YES, 103g
Cholesterol limit average 250mg YES, YES, 107g

Last edited by Mern; 08-15-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:38 PM
FitDay Member

Ok, I had to get back on to edit my report. I did get on my bike for a 30 minute interval ride while John was putting Norah to bed. Now I don't have to run in the morning, but I might anyway. Goodnight everyone!
Old 08-15-2012, 02:39 PM
FitDay Member

Default Tuesday & Wednesday

TORI & MIKE GOALS

1--log everything and make public, post start weight--181.0 ToriD1012 - free online diet and fitness journal--yes, yes, no
2--100 oz water daily--101.4, 67.6, 20
3--all vitamins daily--oops , no, no
4--walk at least 8 miles (weather permitting)--2.0, 0, 0,

Tori Specific:
1--all laundry--Tuesday or Wednesday....maybe
2--keep up with paperwork--yes, yes, off today
3--make time for JC every day--yes, yes, yes

Haven't had a chance to catch up with everyone yet, but did want to respond
April-WHN isn't allergic, the landlord doesn't allow inside pets
Judi-someone has to keep Mike in line, and I take pride in my calling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.