Notices

Menopause/Thyroid issues

Old 08-01-2012, 04:14 AM
FitDay Member

Default Menopause/Thyroid issues

Hello. I am 53, and have been in menopause for over a year and 1/2. I have put on 30 lbs, and gain a lot easier than I used to. I also gain in the mid section and I hate it! I've been on the low carb diet for over 3 weeks now, and have not lost a pound! It has always worked well for me in the past. I had a blood test done, and my thyroid was low, so now I'm on a starter dose of thyroid medication. I've only been on it for a week. How long does it take to get in to your system?
I just hope I'm not stuck at this weight. It scares me and depresses me. Has anyone had the same problem and is now losing weight?
Old 08-01-2012, 02:30 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Lyndy27
I had a blood test done, and my thyroid was low, so now I'm on a starter dose of thyroid medication. I've only been on it for a week. How long does it take to get in to your system?
I just hope I'm not stuck at this weight. It scares me and depresses me. Has anyone had the same problem and is now losing weight?
Hi there! I'm not going through menopause yet, but I am hypothyroid. I was originally diagnosed as hyper, but had to in effect "kill" my thyroid causing me to go hypo. I went hypo super fast, and was immediately put on levothyroxine. As to how long it takes for the meds to get in your system, everyone is different and it all depends on your dosage. As a general rule, give it 6-8 weeks before you notice any change in how you feel. It took me and my endocrinologist a while (like a year and a half) to get my levels straightened out, but appareently I'm a rare case. Did your doctor schedule you for follow up blood work to check your dosage? If not, find out why. I'm living proof that one CAN lose weight while being hypothyroid. It is a tiny bit harder, but with a lot of work it IS possible. Just keep in mind that for the most part, your dosage is based on weight. As you lose weight, your dosage is liable to change. If you ever need any advice, or just want to bitch and complain, hit me up! Good luck to you!
Old 08-02-2012, 04:16 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the support Tori! I do have a follow up appt. in 5 weeks to check my blood. So how did you lose weight being hypo? I've been on the low carb way of eating, and it's always worked for me, but this time, I'm not losing anything! I have an office job, but I walk 2 miles at lunch, and try to stay semi-active at home. I work out some, but not as much as I should because I'm depressed.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:06 AM
FitDay Member

Hi, I believe I have a thyroid condition as well, however I have yet to do something about it. My Thyroid numbers are in the normal range, however, it runs in my family; I have mysterious bouts of dizziness with tiredness. I am 50, however, thanks to Fitday and exercise, I have my weight under control. I'd love to loose a few more pounds, but I workout 3x per week and started lifting weights this year which has improved my mood greatly. Between working out on the spin bike for cardio and the lifting, I feeling great, it's become my new obsession. My understanding is that having your Thyroid under control is fabulous too, its getting there that presents the challenge, but you'll get there and so will I. Best wishes Lisa
Old 08-02-2012, 08:45 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the support Tori! I do have a follow up appt. in 5 weeks to check my blood. So how did you lose weight being hypo? I've been on the low carb way of eating, and it's always worked for me, but this time, I'm not losing anything! I have an office job, but I walk 2 miles at lunch, and try to stay semi-active at home. I work out some, but not as much as I should because I'm depressed.
No problem! To answer your question as to "how I lose weight being hypo", the short answer is this.....WORK!!! I have to strictly manage my calories. Something I haven't been doing because I've been slightly depressed lately ( a lot of different things going on all at the same time). I also have to make sure to get some kind of exercise in....also something I'm struggling with for various reasons. I don't follow a strict "plan" as far as food goes. If I want it, and it fits in the calorie limits, I eat it. I try to stay under 1500 calories a day, 1200 being ideal, but it doesn't always happen. Right now I'm struggling with my meds being too high of a dose again and showing symptoms of hyper. Which means insomnia, irritability, high heart rate and fluttering, not to mention I'm tired ALL THE TIME!! It's a struggle, but it's the hand I was dealt. How I play the cards is up to me. You'll figure out what works for you too. Maybe when you go back for your follow up you can ask the doctor for diet tips
Old 08-02-2012, 08:48 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Elizabeth-973
Hi, I believe I have a thyroid condition as well, however I have yet to do something about it. My Thyroid numbers are in the normal range, however, it runs in my family; I have mysterious bouts of dizziness with tiredness. I am 50, however, thanks to Fitday and exercise, I have my weight under control. I'd love to loose a few more pounds, but I workout 3x per week and started lifting weights this year which has improved my mood greatly. Between working out on the spin bike for cardio and the lifting, I feeling great, it's become my new obsession. My understanding is that having your Thyroid under control is fabulous too, its getting there that presents the challenge, but you'll get there and so will I. Best wishes Lisa
If your thyroid numbers are within the "normal range" then a doctor isn't going to do much. There are a lot of herbal remedies out there too, if you really feel that it is a problem. Maybe you can do an search and find what's out there in cyberland
Old 08-10-2012, 01:34 AM
FitDay Member

My thyroid number was 3.93, borderline. Before being hypo, I lost weight by not eating a lot, or doing low carb. It's never been easy for me. I was reading an article about the reason why your thyroid is slow. It said that your thyroid needs nurishment by taking idodine-iodide supplements. Has anyone heard anything about this?
Old 08-10-2012, 03:27 AM
Super Moderator

My thyroid number was 3.93, borderline. Before being hypo, I lost weight by not eating a lot, or doing low carb. It's never been easy for me. I was reading an article about the reason why your thyroid is slow. It said that your thyroid needs nurishment by taking idodine-iodide supplements. Has anyone heard anything about this?
Yes, my mom had a goiter removed and it messed with her thyroid. She took iodine supplements for year...maybe still, I don't know.