Notices

7/23/12 Motivational Group Thread--Let's Get Serious!

Old 07-24-2012, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Okay ladies, y'all know I'm not going to just let this one slip by.

Originally Posted by ToriD1012
To keep my sanity...
How can you keep something that you don't have. You know what song makes me think of you!
Old 07-24-2012, 02:13 PM
FitDay Member

My goodness - we are growing as a group! Very cool!

Walked this morning - only did one "run", since the knees were still a bit creaky from the weekend. Got more chores done, picked more beans & cukes, kept the peace here with the kids. Got my meditation time during the walk this morning - the birds were singing like crazy, and it was so peaceful.

Have to share - went to my favorite store today (GW a.k.a. Goodwill ), and found a gorgeous Lane cedar chest for $60! It was built in 1941 - with the original "insurance" label inside, and in terrific shape. Since I have been putting my blankets in plastic bags in the gun closet, I felt it was a good buy. I went into the store for a skort, came out with a bit more than that!

Numbers for the day:

Calories: 1,359 Fat: 61.8g Carbs: 76.9g Protein: 131.1g

Mern, I made the protein shake today for lunch, with the egg whites...I find that the flavor is pretty good, but I used skim milk, and that raised the carbs. I bought some almond milk - the calories and carbs are very low compared to regular milk, so I'll give that a shot with cooking and shakes. Haven't tasted it yet (unweetened/plain), but am thinking it would be passable mixed with other things.

Does anyone know if almond milk can be frozen? I doubt I'll be using it up before the expiration date, so was going to divide it up and freeze it. Thoughts?
Old 07-24-2012, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

I got in my 30 minutes of exercise today. I cut my grass. Well lets just say it pissed me off so I scalped it.

Slight rant... a few months ago I had the worst looking yard on the street. It was eaten up by mole crickets. It looked like a mangy mutt.

I decided to turn my ADD into OCD because dammit I was going to have the best looking yard on the street (because that's how I roll). I got some Spectracide Trazicide and treated the yard. Then some Scotts Bonus S Weed and Feed, then Spectracide Trazicide again, then Scotts Bonus S. I would sing nursery rhymes to my yard, read it bed time stories and tell it how beautiful it was going to grow up to be. Then... more Scotts Bonus S, more stories, lullabies and yes, more Scotts Bonus S. Before I knew it I had full blown Yard OCD and my neighbors all had yard envy! I would cut my front 2-3 times a week and it looked awesome.

I gave it one last cut before going on vacation and told it how much I was going to miss it. Being the nice daddy I am, I decided to treat the back to some Bonus S. Well it turns out while we were on vacation we had some serious flash flooding. All the weed and feed flowed down to the low spots and killed my grass. Then it flooded some more and my poor baby drowned.

Every year they set the marsh on fire and the following year it grows back thicker and fuller. Well since I can't set my yard on fire, I decided to scalp it and put it out of it's misery. She's almost as bald as I am.

Now I sit back and wait, keeping my fingers crossed, hoping I didn't mess up. Praying that next year when she comes back she'll be the prettiest yard again!

It's too dark to take pics of it now. Trust me, it's LOW!
Old 07-24-2012, 03:00 PM
FitDay Member

Wow, this thread has been busy the last couple of days! I’ve been very busy at work (it’s summer and I work for a sewer company!) and I have a second job that I do at home, mostly fall and winter, it’s usually very quiet in the summer, but I’ve been given a new task and ran into some kind of software bug or something – it’s still not working. I can’t believe it’s already 11 p.m. but at least I’ve read the posts, maybe I can keep up tomorrow!

Mern, I got the protein shake info, just have not had time to make it. I also have some almond milk that I am thinking of trying with it.

Kayla and Nicaleh Welcome! And Welcome Back Luv!

Here are my stats for today – calories are up, but carbs are still down!

<1400 calories: M: 1329; T: 1536
Net Carbs < 20: M: 17.4; T: 18.2;
Water >64(oz): M: 50; T: 40;
exercise: M: no; T: no;
Vitamins: M: yes; T: yes
Old 07-24-2012, 03:13 PM
FitDay Member

So, I have to revise my calories for today. I was trying really hard to follow the "don't eat after 8pm" rule. But my sister and I went to get a birthday present for my Dad, which was an adventure in and of itself (he fishes, we don't), and she suggested frozen yogurt. Who turns down free frozen yogurt? Which probably would've been ok, were it not for the brownie bits and sprinkles. However, I am grateful to be able to say I only made it up to 956, which is still within my goal, just closer to it than I like to get. Up EARLY tomorrow morning so I can get a good workout in before work. And I still have 15 minutes to make my 10:30 bedtime goal!
Old 07-24-2012, 04:37 PM
FitDay Member

Tori, thanks for your birthday confirmation. I know what you mean about the logging and goals controlling you. Sometimes I need a break, too, but I have to not let it be for very long because whenever I'm not logging or posting, I'm regaining weight. But we're all different so just because that's how I roll doesn't mean everyone does. I'm really good at eyeballing portions, too. DH is impressed by that. I can cut off a hunk of something and tell him how much I guess it weighs and a lot of times I'm either right on the nose or just a teeny bit off. Best wishes as you try to hold onto your sanity.

Judi, you had a very productive Tuesday. Congrats on that! Great find on the cedar chest! Geez, it might be worth way more than $60. Your shake sounds delicious! I've never tried the almond milk (and don't know if it can be frozen) but it comes highly recommended by our MIA poster Amy (Almeeker).

Mike, your new lawn is gorgeous! Looks like a plush carpet! Kudos on all the hard work you put into it! Oh, man--that flash flooding does horrible things to yards. Was all the flash flooding in the back? I'll bet it'll all be gorgeous again next year.

Cate, you are one busy lady! Glad you caught the shake info, although one can put anything she/he likes into a shake--don't really need recipes unless there's a certain flavor you want to come up with or ingredients you prefer to use. You and judipurple can compare notes on the almond milk, then.

Kayla, I'm a night owl and just can't get to sleep on an empty stomach, so I just can't bring myself to not eat after 7 or 8PM like many do. Frozen yogurt is something hard for many to turn down--especially our Cassie. Brownie bits and sprinkles--yum! And you only made it up to 956 calories! Fantastic! My 8 year old grandson has the ice cream parlor by us make his own idea of a sundae: a brownie, chocolate ice cream, and chocolate syrup. No whipped cream, nuts, cherries, sprinkles for him--that would spoil his chocolate. LOL
Old 07-24-2012, 04:40 PM
FitDay Member

Tori, thanks for your birthday confirmation. I know what you mean about the logging and goals controlling you. Sometimes I need a break, too, but I have to not let it be for very long because whenever I'm not logging or posting, I'm regaining weight. But we're all different so just because that's how I roll doesn't mean everyone does. I'm really good at eyeballing portions, too. DH is impressed by that. I can cut off a hunk of something and tell him how much I guess it weighs and a lot of times I'm either right on the nose or just a teeny bit off. Best wishes as you try to hold onto your sanity.

Judi, you had a very productive Tuesday. Congrats on that! Great find on the cedar chest! Geez, it might be worth way more than $60. Your shake sounds delicious! I've never tried the almond milk (and don't know if it can be frozen) but it comes highly recommended by our MIA poster Amy (Almeeker).

Mike, your new lawn is gorgeous! Looks like a plush carpet! Kudos on all the hard work you put into it! Oh, man--that flash flooding does horrible things to yards. Was all the flash flooding in the back? I'll bet it'll all be gorgeous again next year.

Cate, you are one busy lady! Glad you caught the shake info, although one can put anything she/he likes into a shake--don't really need recipes unless there's a certain flavor you want to come up with or ingredients you prefer to use. You and judipurple can compare notes on the almond milk, then.

Kayla, I'm a night owl and just can't get to sleep on an empty stomach, so I just can't bring myself to not eat after 7 or 8PM like many do. Frozen yogurt is something hard to many to turn down--especially our Cassie. Brownie bits and sprinkles--yum! And you only made it up to 956 calories! Fantastic! My 8 year old grandson has the ice cream parlor by us make his own idea of a sundae: a brownie, chocolate ice cream, and chocolate syrup. No whipped cream, nuts, cherries, sprinkles for him--that would spoil his chocolate. LOL
Old 07-24-2012, 04:49 PM
FitDay Member

To Hope and DH 7-25-12

Wishing you a lifetime of happiness together!

Old 07-25-2012, 12:43 AM
FitDay Member

wow, what a wonderful group of people!

Everyone with all the fruit- I am so looking forward to fruit season! It's winter here now but we have lots of fruit tree's
on the property, plums, sour cherry, apples, pears, nectarines, peaches, figs, mulberries and a few nut trees I
am hoping for a good year so I can have a try bottling fruit. we have only lived here 1 1/2 years so I havn't had much of
a go at it yet.

Kayla- thankyou, that is a good idea. Alot of my problem is just not planning ahead enough and logging before I eat
instead of after might just be what I need to do. I think I have always eaten a carb heavy diet and I am still learning to reach
for the protein option instead. I also have PCOS so keeping the carbs balanced is pretty important in keeping my numbers moving.
I am hoping that once my weight drops a bit more I will be symptom free... last time I was under 80kg my periods went back to normal and
that was when I fell pregnant so I must have been having a proper cycle. I do find it interesting that your doc told you you would
need to keep your calories so low, mine said the opposite, sticking with the 1200cal lower limit so I don't slow my metabolism.
but different things work for diff people and PCOS seems to affect people in so many different ways!

April- wow, all those cheap veg must be great! My other half works for a company that makes processed meats and pork products,
pretty much all of it dripping in fat, not so helpful! lol.

Tracey- don't beat yourself up over the chocolate, a new day is a new day. I do try and save some calories each day for a couple
of squares of chocolate... I find knowing that I can have that treat helps me to not reach for that mars bar.

Mern - I have never heard of low carb pasta but I will do some investigating! that would be so good... I love pasta and I am
missing it quite a bit. I wanted to thank you again for being so welcoming.

Tori - hello there, another cyster I wasn't diagnosed until I was in my early 20s, I wish I had have been earlier.. it explained
so much! Doctors kept giving me a pregnancy test (even if I swore black and blue that I couldnt be pregnant) then when it came
up negative they would just tell me it was teen hormones and everything would settle as I got older! bah! Anyway it's nice to
meet you.

as for my goals

*keep between 1200 and 1350 calories
actually I was a little under but there were a few ingredient in dinner that I had to guess at so I'm erring on the side
caution and leaving it at that

*keep my pie chart balanced, at least 30% protein from a healthy source.
totally got my carbs down and my protein up today!

*switch some of my coffees for tea ( I drink A LOT of coffee, more since I gave up coke)
only 2 coffees today!

*Keep an eye on my sodium intake (fitday is great for helping me see what nutrients I am not getting enough of and what could be reduced)
much better today, I kept it under the rda!

*Go to my first Bootcamp session at the gym next Wednesday.
it's wednesday and i did it! I am so very sore but I will go back next week because it is worth it!

*Next time my 7 year old daughter asks me to do something physical with her, do it instead of making excuses. It will not kill me to get up 15 minutes earlier and walk some of the way to school while she rides her bike. If it is cold - wear a jumper. if it is wet - take an umbrella and a raincoat. If it is not possible to do the activity she is asking for- find a physical activity that is possible and get up and do it!
again she didn't ask... I am starting to think maybe she has given up asking because she expects the answer to be NO. I
will think of something we can do together this weekend even if it is only going for a walk

life goals-

focus on my assignment this week, don't leave it to the last minute.
ok, I am totally procrastinating on this one. tomorrow is study day, no more excuses!

remind myself that I am blessed with good friends and a loving family
Yes!

Be a bit more organised in the morning and get everyone off to school and work on time everyday!
Much less rushed this morning, it was a good start to the day.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:13 AM
FitDay Member

Mike,

OMG! You're just like my husband! We've been under drought conditions for 3-4 weeks, so he's been pumping thousands of gallons of water on the lawn so his can look the prettiest. Ugh! I don't even want to get my water bill this month! With all of the chemicals that he spreads around, I'm surprised that he doesn't glow in the dark! lol Every night, he's out there past dark staring at his prize lawn... I just don't get it!! It must be a man thing!

So, last night... same thing. He's out there pouring money down the drain and I said, "You know, it's going to rain 1-2" tomorrow." He keeps watering. Sure enough, it's pouring buckets right now. In fact, we're in for some heavy duty, major storms today. Just don't get it.

In my quest to use my bounty of fruits and veggies, I've already made a batch of cabbage rolls for supper tonight and they smell wonderful. Tried to keep them healthy by using brown rice and ground sirloin. That will give me time, on this rainy day, to finish reading my book. If the storms are as predicted, I'll probably lose cable, power, and/or internet anyway. lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.