Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7/23/12 Motivational Group Thread--Let's Get Serious! >

7/23/12 Motivational Group Thread--Let's Get Serious!

Community
Notices

7/23/12 Motivational Group Thread--Let's Get Serious!

Old 07-24-2012, 07:40 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Wanted to jump on and do this before I forgot; will be back to catch up later.

For all of us swimming in fresh fruit, I came across some recipes that look worth trying (with careful planning of cals and macros, of course ).

Cherry Raspberry Buckle Recipe - Delish.com

Stone Fruit Bars Recipe - Delish.com

This one is a slideshow with a lot of recipes in it:

Healthy Summer Dessert Recipes | Eating Well
Thanks! Everything looks great! Another way that I use a lot of my fruits and vegetables is to throw them on the grill... especially pineapple and zucchini. Next, I think I'll be making home-made salsa with the tomatoes that people keep giving me!
Old 07-24-2012, 10:05 AM
FitDay Member

[QUOTE=wildbeanerz;86026]Goals? Oh My....

Kayla ... Welcome! Your goals are anything but weak. They look great to me... Your calories were very low yesterday. Was that on purpose?

Ok, so I am just going to get this out of the way, because my calories will always be very low, and I don't want any misunderstandings or anything. I have a condition called polycystic ovarian syndrome. It is a mostly harmless disease that mainly just causes me to have very small, rarely painful ovarian cysts. My sister has been less lucky and has had to have surgery to remove more than one, mine have always gone away on their own. A side effect of this syndrome is weight gain. I was a size 6 my sophomore year in high school, and a size 12 by my junior year. With no lifestyle change at all. It also means that losing weight for me is very difficult. About a year ago, I was informed by my Dr. that to achieve any sort of weight loss at all, I will have to stick to 1000 calories a day or less, and make sure to burn at least twice that.
I will admit, at first I simply gave up, and said to myself "well, I guess I'm going to be fat. there are worse things". But in January of this year, my younger sister was diagnosed as well, and that is when I decided that I better do something about it, because my daughter could have this someday too, and I wouldn't want her to feel the way I felt. It was very difficult at first, 1000 calories is hard to maintain 7 days a week. But I have learned some good tricks and very low calorie but filling foods, and 7 months later, I have only lost 8 lbs, but I feel like I have finally got a handle on it. It feels much more doable now than it ever has. Plus, I also include a cheat day once a week so I can have a break from endless calculating.

On another note, it has been a successful Tuesday so far.

Fitness:
-Stay within calorie limits. Yes, 738.
-Keep my pie chart WAY more yellow than purple. (Carbs are my mega weak spot) Yes, only 33% carbs.
-Work out at least 3 days (Preferably 4). NO EXCUSES. Going for a walk with my hubby, if it doesn't rain.
-Much more water, and cut down tea. I didn't have any tea at all today!!!

Other:
-Keep up with laundry (I washed a mountain this weekend, and do not want to let it go that long ever again!) Putting some in right now.
-Get the baby in bed by 9:30 and myself in bed by 10:30.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:16 AM
FitDay Member

Darn it! I composed part of my post in the reply box and part on NotePad. I think I lost the reply box part! Wasn't very logical of me to do that! And a large part of it was my Monday report! I'll post my Monday report later tonight or tomorrow with my Tuesday report.

Quinn, thanks so much for your help on Mackinac. I'm going to throw a thin bed sheet in with our picnic so we can enjoy it wherever we find a nice spot--maybe by the fort or lighthouse. Still going to look over all the restaurants in case we want a snack later. I am going to take low carb protein shake mix, flaxmeal or soy veggie protein, and almonds to the motel for a low carb breakfast in lieu of the continental breakfast. We have a microwave and fridge in our room. That and an on-plan picnic lunch will cancel out snacks of deep fried goodies and fudge, right?

Cassie, I hope you get some better sleep tonight! Except for your sleep you did a spectacular job yesterday. Way to go!

Judi, thanks for your exercise encouragement and great advice. I definitely will listen to my body.

Luv, working your way back up to one mile at a time is so admirable! Kudos on that! Again, congrats on finishing that clean eating pact that I didn't have the courage to complete. Only a 2 lb. gain since your last checkup is something to crow about! I regained 7 lbs. in 3 months as of my last doctor visit.

Nichaleh, I got a good giggle out of your post. I pass the zumba exercise class on my way back from my treadmill workout at the Y and I don't know how those women move so darned fast. In the USA we have a product called Dreamfields pasta that is processed in such a way that it has only 5g "digestible carbs" per serving as opposed to 41g carbs in regular pasta. Do you have any pasta where you live that is lower in carbs than regular pasta? Your Monday report was very nice beginning for the week! Congrats on the bootcamp plans.

April, it's just wonderful how in love you are with DH after all these years. Kudos on your all pink Monday and on your weight loss progress and body sculpting progress. Wishing you a good report from school and your son's doctor.

Wonderful to see so many of you enjoying the fresh produce!

Nobe continued hugs...enjoy those 6 hours of freedom from the troll stepkids per day!

Tracey, great job on the exercise! Just don't get in the habit of beating yourself up over 2 little chocolate bars. Sometimes we just put it behind us and start over. LOL on the smokey veggies you served to the kids. Great that they ate it even though they didn't go back for seconds.

Last edited by Mern; 07-24-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:33 AM
FitDay Member

Geez… last week was crazy! I am getting to old to party 4 nights in a row. Ok, by party I mean dinner with friends/relatives, watch the kids play, and get home by 9:30 to put DS to bed. On top of that entertaining guests for several days kept me running way too much in the 100+ degree heat… gaaaasp! DH and I crashed on the couch Sunday after everybody had left, staring into space and praying fervently that DS would go down for a nap so we could pass out… Regrets of last week; ate banana pudding, orange sponge cake, and ice-cream all in one evening; ate lunch from the pre-packaged food snack section at a museum (bad choice); drank a few too many brewskies; and wine; had fast-food one day for lunch (super bad choice!); gained 1.75 lbs… Ok, I don’t regret the sponge cake, it was fantastic! I mean how often do I get to indulge in home-made orange sponge cake anyway? Hardly ever!

This week back to work. A few simple goals:

1. Get back to H2O and limit coffee. The coffee machine is close to my desk and I am getting really bad at hitting it up instead of the water cooler down the hall.
2. Focus on whole foods.
3. Get a few really good workouts in (like actually sweat) at the Gym.
4. Stay positive!!!
5. Download pix of friends and e-mail before too much time goes by ;-)

Brief skim of the posts… Welcome to the newcomers! Glad to see you back Luv! Mern - I am rooting for you! April – I absolutely love your dress!!!

Ama
5’6”, 39yo
2lbs over Goal
Old 07-24-2012, 11:36 AM
FitDay Member

Tori, where'd you go? You never did tell me when your birthday is. I guessed October 12 from your username.

Kayla, not that you are required to, but I am glad to explained to us about those cysts. What a pain (literally) that must be to deal with! And to make your weight loss that much harder certainly must add to your frustration. I so admire you for not just giving up and for setting a good example for your younger sister, daughter, and anyone else reading your post. Best wishes and huge cyberhugs of encouragement to you! Your daily report is wonderful!
Old 07-24-2012, 11:41 AM
FitDay Member

Ama, you did really well with all the entertaining and "partying" and only gaining 1.75 lbs! Best wishes on your goals this week. Thanks for rooting for me--I need all the help and support I can get.

Hope, where are you? (Maybe you told me and I forgot?) Getting ready for your 30th wedding anniversary tomorrow?
Old 07-24-2012, 12:01 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by kayla.underhill
Ok, so I am just going to get this out of the way, because my calories will always be very low, and I don't want any misunderstandings or anything. I have a condition called polycystic ovarian syndrome. It is a mostly harmless disease that mainly just causes me to have very small, rarely painful ovarian cysts. My sister has been less lucky and has had to have surgery to remove more than one, mine have always gone away on their own. A side effect of this syndrome is weight gain. I was a size 6 my sophomore year in high school, and a size 12 by my junior year. With no lifestyle change at all. It also means that losing weight for me is very difficult. About a year ago, I was informed by my Dr. that to achieve any sort of weight loss at all, I will have to stick to 1000 calories a day or less, and make sure to burn at least twice that.
I will admit, at first I simply gave up, and said to myself "well, I guess I'm going to be fat. there are worse things". But in January of this year, my younger sister was diagnosed as well, and that is when I decided that I better do something about it, because my daughter could have this someday too, and I wouldn't want her to feel the way I felt. It was very difficult at first, 1000 calories is hard to maintain 7 days a week. But I have learned some good tricks and very low calorie but filling foods, and 7 months later, I have only lost 8 lbs, but I feel like I have finally got a handle on it. It feels much more doable now than it ever has. Plus, I also include a cheat day once a week so I can have a break from endless calculating.
welcome fellow PCOS sufferer!! I was diagnosed at 16, and it is a struggle to say the least. I also suffer with hypothyroidism, which is a side effect of correcting the hyPERthyroidism, cause that's just my luck I've never ever EVER heard of a doctor telling someone to eat less than 1000 calories, but I guess as long as you're supplimenting with vitamins, who am I to second guess the doctor. Wishing you lots of good mojo!!!
Old 07-24-2012, 12:09 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Mern
Tori, where'd you go? You never did tell me when your birthday is. I guessed October 12 from your username.
Mern, I'm here....sort of. I haven't made goals this week, cause I'm getting bogged down by them. I've also decided to not log. I know some of you are like **GASP**, but I haven't finished a week out in who knows when, and it always bums me out when I look at my goals and go well, I think I got ONE good day. When I first started this journey I logged EVERYTHING, cause I was finally the one in control, and it felt great. Cut to 8 months, and lots of drama later, and it's like the goals and logging are controlling me. To keep my sanity I'm taking a break. I'll be around, checking in when I can. I know how to eyeball a portion now, and as long as I stick to good foods, and not over indulge, I'm fine. I've gone without logging before and did well, so I know that I can do it.

And yes, sorry, October 12 it is!

LUV!! Welcome back!!! You've been missed
Old 07-24-2012, 12:13 PM
FitDay Member

Ama, I for one am super proud of you for not passing up the homemade orange spongecake! You can't pass things like that up! And you obviously did not overdo it, or you would not have done so well with your weigh-in. The biggest thing I have had to learn is to say "no, thanks" a lot, but to sometimes say "heck yes!" when awesome things like that come up. haha.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:33 PM
FitDay Member

Kayla--I started a thread a few weeks ago for PCOS sufferers. it's here. Feel free, I'm kinda lonely in there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.