Community
Notices

AKK Just saw how much I consume

Old 04-07-2010, 01:26 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Lizzycritter
Carbs are not evil! Also, fitday does not distinguish simple carbs from complex carbs. If you aren't eating sugar sweetened foods, white breads, white pasta, potatoes, white rice, then you aren't eating simple carbs and no need to freak out. We NEED carbs, it's our main source of fuel.
And you are right but I also know I need more protein for muscle mass. I think that was more along the lines of my freak out. Over half of my daily intake is carbs no matter the type and only 20% is protein....not good.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:16 AM
Super Moderator

My advice is to be careful what you read. You can find something on the internet to support ANY position. Some sites say we eat too much protein and should keep it below 20%. Other sites say we don't eat enough and it should be 30%. Some sites recommend one third carbs; the Mayo Clinic site, for example, says between 55 and 65% carbs. It is enough to drive you crazy! So take what you read with a grain of salt, and take the time to find out the balance to which your body responds best, and at which you feel best. There is absolutely no one-size-fits-all for the macronutrient ratios. If you go with what works for you personally, you will be immensely more successful.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:23 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
My advice is to be careful what you read. You can find something on the internet to support ANY position. Some sites say we eat too much protein and should keep it below 20%. Other sites say we don't eat enough and it should be 30%. Some sites recommend one third carbs; the Mayo Clinic site, for example, says between 55 and 65% carbs. It is enough to drive you crazy! So take what you read with a grain of salt, and take the time to find out the balance to which your body responds best, and at which you feel best. There is absolutely no one-size-fits-all for the macronutrient ratios. If you go with what works for you personally, you will be immensely more successful.

yep yep...you are so right. I am seeing a personal trainer (dating and another for my workout) and I have also checked with my doctor. For my body and the way it handles things, I need more of the protein.

i am fighting a melobolic disorder so I will always be involved with my doc on this.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator

I think it's great that you are going to "those in the know." Much more personalized than the internet, books, and articles. I am shifting to increasing protein myself; have started weight training and it really helps. I hope you get similar good results. I think common sense is a big part of it, that and listening to your body. The trial and error process can be frustrating but it is worth it!
Old 04-07-2010, 02:59 AM
FitDay Member

I think it's great that you are going to "those in the know." Much more personalized than the internet, books, and articles. I am shifting to increasing protein myself; have started weight training and it really helps. I hope you get similar good results. I think common sense is a big part of it, that and listening to your body. The trial and error process can be frustrating but it is worth it!
Yeppers and you know they are paid to know that stuff.

I also discovered yesterday that smart ones or lean cuisines are just not as good as a chicken sandmich. you think you are eating healthy when you aren't.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:25 AM
Super Moderator

With you on that one! They were convenient for me when I started the process but as time went on I moved on to more natural stuff. Being educated is your best weapon . Change what you can; it will all come over time.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:15 AM
FitDay Member

I meant white potatoes without the skin, shoulda been more specific
I found I do the best on about 50% carbs, and split the rest between protein and fat, sometimes it ends up 20/30, 25/25, or 30/20....if I can manage the 30/20 protein/fat split that's great, but it's hard for me to do that. I also need to get more strict with myself on my personal 2 fruits and 3 veggies a day rule, I've strayed from that lately and have been feeling the consequences. It is a very individualized thing though, we are omnivores and built to eat everything under the sun. (hopefully not in one meal lol!) It stands to reason there'd be a lot of individual variation with that system.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:29 AM
FitDay Member

There is absolutely no one-size-fits-all for the macronutrient ratios. If you go with what works for you personally, you will be immensely more successful.
No truer words were spoken! I could drop 10 # in 2 weeks on all protein or on 900 calories a day, but I simply couldn't last long and it would come back and bring friends!

For anyone whose metabolism has slowed to a snail's pace due to extremely low calorie intake, most experts recommend boosting calories SLOWLY to avoid gaining weight, like maybe 100 extra calories a day for a week and increase that to 200 extra calories (from healthy food) the following week and so on, until you're at the appropriate amount for your activity level. Adding exercise is important too. Our bodies are programmed to survive at any cost and will not release fat when calorie intake is too low. Instead it burns muscle.