FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Emotional Eaters United (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/7575-emotional-eaters-united.html)

Keily664 06-04-2012 10:37 AM

Emotional Eaters United

I am 13 so I get emotional very easily and when I do get emotional I tend to eat. And by tend I mean I could make a buffet run out of food. I started this thread to find out if there was anyone else that has the same problem as me.

Any ideas of how to stop emotion driven binges??

Rubystars 06-05-2012 12:12 AM

The only way to really beat this is to find another outlet for the emotional release. That could be pursuing a hobby, exercising, singing, whatever. You have to find some non-self-destructive way to get out your emotions. Maybe you can use Fitday's journal mode to write about how you're feeling?

Also I noticed sometimes if I'm craving something really bad for me that if I fill up on something like vegetables the craving will go away because I was just hungry.

You could have some food that's comforting and low in calories around the house for when you need it too. Maybe instead of a triple thick milk shake for example, you can satisfy your cravings with some 40 calorie sugar free fruit bars or 35 calorie Blue Bunny fudgesicles, or maybe a bag of microwave popcorn instead of a bag of potato chips?

traceymc1985 06-05-2012 03:04 AM

All my life i suffered with emotional eating. When i was younger-from 11-15 i never felt i could fit in at school and didnt feel i could open up to my parents as they werent the greatest of talkers. Only recently i open up to my mum and that is refreshing. Even though it was a long time ago- from going to the doctors feeling im suffering from stress in a bad way it was explained to me that all my past moulds me into how i deal with situations etc.
I used to be in a bad relationship and after having my children young and being out of work and in thousands of debt i ate to comfort myself just getting bigger and bigger.

I have now tried to put in control- i tend to eat out of boredom alot now so i keep myself busy with anything i can do to take my mind off going to the cupboards. I also have lots of low calorie/low fat snacks in the house that i can grab and not feel guilty. This is another one of my demons- the feeling of guilt but this ends up being an evil circle and makes me feel worse.

The one piece of good advice that works for me is having support. I have a fantastic partner now who knows when im down and even if the same thing over and over he still listens and gives advice.
Talking through why youre emotional can help solve the problems without going on that binge. If there isnt that someone to talk to openly like a parent or best friend then of course theres fitday which over the past couple of years has opened my eyes that others go through the same thing and we aint alone. Support has become the most important and i know without it i wouldnt have got out of my darkest times.

canary52 06-06-2012 05:55 AM

I think if you did a poll at least half the people on FD would admit to being emotional eaters. That's my unofficial guess and I'm betting it's probably way higher. I am an emotional eater and my DD, a bit older than you, is too. The thing is not only can you not eat your way out of your problems, you can eat your way into worse ones. No one likes to feel pain or hurt so we numb ourselves. The good news is that you can change. And you're still young so the sooner the better.

The advice given here is good. Find other outlets: walk, sing, write, draw, paint, whatever moves you or makes you move. Talk to people. Find healthy snack options. Easier said than done, I know, but you WILL feel better, trust me. What's that saying? Don't let yourself get too HALT: Hungry/Angry/Lonely/Tired.

Borg-mx5 06-06-2012 07:44 PM

Always been an emotional eater. I had a rotten day today and was totally ready to bake brownies. Did hold on though, but it is always a struggle.

3661 06-07-2012 01:47 PM

I'm an EE too, but I've been on the road today and even though I was by the food, I didn't snack. I think it was because I was busy writing a book, sleeping, and there was nothing there I really wanted. I guess what helps a lot is that combination, nothing I want to snack on, lots of fluids, and stuff to do.
When I'm at home it's a lot harder though. So I'll be needing support and such too.

Keily664 06-13-2012 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by 3661 (Post 83043)
I'm an EE too, but I've been on the road today and even though I was by the food, I didn't snack. I think it was because I was busy writing a book, sleeping, and there was nothing there I really wanted. I guess what helps a lot is that combination, nothing I want to snack on, lots of fluids, and stuff to do.
When I'm at home it's a lot harder though. So I'll be needing support and such too.

I'm glad that you could do that cause we all know how hard some of that must have been!!

I have decided that when I feel like eating when it's not meal time I'm gonna drink a glass of water and wait 30 minutes and then see if I am still hungry if I am I'll grab a healthy snack like fruit if I'm not then why should I eat if I'm not even hungry.

As for the emotional point of view I have decided I'm going to work out if I feel like eating only cause I've had a bad day. Or I'll use my supposed artistic talents. I say "supposed" because I don't think I'm very good, but everyone else thinks I'm good. I drew my account pic but, it got a little messed up when i scanned it into the computer.

canary52 06-22-2012 03:19 AM

Kaitlyn, YOU ARE TALENTED. You should keep at it; you're really good.

I've been emotionally eating lately so I thought of you and this thread. The thing is I'm aware of it and I am going to try and get back into line and stop it. My outlets are writing, walking and seeing friends.

I had success also planning my food beforehand for the day so I'm going to try that too.

EilidhB16 06-23-2012 03:24 AM

Loads of people are emotional eaters, it's really very common. I think that yeah, you just need to distract yourself, or only have healthy foods in the house. I would tell you what I do when I want to eat, but I have an ED and SERIOUS ISSUES :-P