FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   frustrated after having the bypass surgery (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/7489-frustrated-after-having-bypass-surgery.html)

mszyandry 05-28-2012 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mama_Loca (Post 82075)
Yandry, I am preparing for WLS and I have also given much thought to what you are experiencing. You've only just had your surgery, this phase will end soon enough. Maybe try eating at a slightly different time then the rest of the family and separate yourself from the eating rituals for a short time. Out of sight, out of mind. Take a deep breath and think about how great it will feel to be healthy and energetic. If you're carrying around over 100 pounds of extra weight right now, think of what you'll be able to do with it gone. I'm talking faster than a speeding locomotive, able to leap tall buildings with a single bound, It's a bird, it's a plane, no, it's Yandry!

thank you for your support. i know this will end soon. today im feeling much better and positive, ill continue following the doctors instruction and will not think about food at all and now that im back to work it will help me take my mind of that.

everyone have different way of thinking if your considering WLS ill recommend it to do it but only if you have a lot of health problems and over 100 lbs over weigh, other wise ill recommend anyone to do everything they can to lose weigh on their on. this is a huge decision and it will change ur life completely. YES is difficult and its hard but at the end i know so it will be worth it. my mom was 250lbs 5'0ft tall and shes now 128lbs after a yr and 4 months, she no longer have hypertension nor cholesterol. she looks great, feels great and her energy is as of a 4 yrs old child, and her self esteem is at the top of the world, shes my inspiration and if she did it so can i. like i said is not gonna be easy but nothing good comes easy in life. so if you going to get it do it and have alot of faith in urself.

if you need anything any help or advice im here you can write to me at anytime and ill be an extra friend for support. hope all goes well with ur WLS.:D

Rubystars 05-29-2012 03:31 AM

Most people that die from these types of surgeries die because they have a leak in their digestive system, which is allowing very potent acid to get out into their bodies and cause damage. The real catch here is that a lot of times hospitals don't have a CAT scan machine big enough for the obese patient and they're the only way to be sure there is a leak. One article I read about this said that weight loss surgeries may one day go the way of the lobotomy.

jennifersadeghi 05-21-2013 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by mszyandry (Post 82019)
can anyone please help me ?:confused:

my name is Yandry, im 22 yrs old and now weighing 293lbs. i just had the gastric bypass surgery on May 7, 2012 weighing at 316lbs. my goal is to be 160lbs.

i used to be a emotional eater. i am now on stage 2 of my diet which is puree food. since my surgery i have to combine 48-64 oz of liquids, 3 meals, my protein shakes and medicines which includes Multivitamin,calcium twice a day and iron.

to be honest im so frustrated and mad. i cant eat anything except for sugar free Jell-o, greek yogurt, apple sauce, sugar free pudding and sugar free Popsicle. when i try something else i get nauseous and discomfort, it feels horrible i cant even drink water without having pain in my stomach, sometimes i get so sad and depress when i see my family eating and i cant, i get bored easily of eating the same food over and over. i feel weak and dizzy all the time, i have become so lazy dont even want to go out and when i do i have to stop and recover myself from the dizziness and short of breath.

can anyone share their story and help me out to feel better and what to eat, i was a sugar addict and its so hard to live without sweets.:(

i did it ab 1 1/2 ago lost half of my wait and size 4 or 5 now i did feel same till one yr but after that my life is almost nomal i do eat most of food can handle it very well now i wants to stop being nomal bc i do not wants to gain wight ( gain 10 lbs in 3 months) ouchhhhhh, hang in there you will be just fine it gets better each day, it worth it after all, i love it

ellagaby05 06-14-2013 12:45 AM

hy yandry,

i heard a lot of people who made the same surgery like u and what i can tell u is that they are very serious,but in the end it will worth the effort.the stomach is like a baloon,it changes his size but in the moment u make it shorter his capacity to expand is very small ,thats why u cant eat like before,but if u push it with solid foods it is the risk to explode and u will have a lot of pain,why?because he need a period of minimum 1month to recover his walls to heal,and with time u can introduce the aliments one by one till he accomodate with it,so i suggest to find the force in u and when u have hard moments with eating solid food just close ur eyes and think how u will look like in the end,the person u want to be.for sugar addiction i have a question for u:why u think that some people who were use to eat sugar after they keep a diet on a long therm they dont eat as much sugar like before and loose weight and they still keep their 'new weight'?because sugar is acctualy a 'drug' for body.as more u eat,as much more ur body will ask for it.what i suggest u is not to keep i dont know what diet,but to change what kind if sugar u eat,for example:if u like chochlate,use the dark chocholate,if u like to put sugar in coffe put honey,if u like fruit yogurt,buy better yogurt cu 0 %fat and put fruits in it(what fruits u want).in this way maybe maybe for u will not be a big change,cos u will eat the same things u like,but for body will be a huge change,and i garanty u that if u will continue to eat like this,in a short time when u will want to eat sweeties again,u will not like it.i tell u cos i had prove it on myself.i hope i could help u with my advice.take care of yourself

sassymichigal 06-19-2013 06:13 PM

Hi there....I had the gastric bypass surgery 4 yrs ago. I actually did not qualify with my BMI I was right under it, but I had sleep apnea, pcos, diabetes, and hypertension, thus I qualified. The place I had it done at had a nutritionist, a psychologist, the bariatrician, and the surgeron. I had to see the psy and nutritionist each month once a month prior to surgery. I had to keep food logs, eat as if I had the surgery, and see the psy for preparing me for surgery, how to stop being an emotional eater because after surgery wont be able too.

I have kept my weight off but let me tell you its not easy to do. The best rule of thumb is not to test the waters. You are new to the surgery, the first two years you are ok....but then the weight will creep up on you. My friend had the surgery same time I did, and she has gained 50 lbs. She tested the waters too much and now she can tolerate sugars and things more. Now she cannot lose the weight.

For me,I think because it was more of a health reason than wanting to just lose weight I took it more seriously. Right after surgery, all I did was drink water, and drink protein drinks, yet 2 days after surgery I was at the hospital in the outpt getting IVS due to being dehydrated and slight infection. I dont understand how.

I learned how to eat with people and still be sociable, but look at foods differently. I totally changed the way of cooking. Also, my taste buds did change. But I cannot tolerate sugar at all no matter how little, no mayonnaise, sauces, creams, ketchup, etc. If I try to eat rice or bread, then I wont be able to eat much protein. Other times when eating those starchy foods, I tend to throw up because it gets stuck and hurts like hell. Furthermore, need to take time in eating. Space out when you drink your fluids. Use equal or splenda. I do not like splenda. If I drink coffee I will use an equal. You can have lots of flavors if you experiment with herbs and spices. I hardly ever use salt as well.

Always remember protein first, lots of water, but must not drink and eat at the same time, at least 30 min prior to eating and after eating before drinking. Chew slowly, use small utensils.

If you can find a therapist or psychologist to help you with dealing your emotions that would help you to succeed even more.

Also exercising really helps with the emotional part of it. Its another way to let it all out rather than eating it. Find something you like to do and don't think of it as exercise. I did the gym thing, I hated it, thus wouldnt go. I started to go zumba....took me a while to find an instructor I liked. Once I did I was an addict doing 10 hrs a week of it. have fun ...enjoy life and not make it about food.:)

Allyon67 10-02-2013 02:57 AM

Yandry, hang in there! The first two months are going to be the hardest but it gets better. I had my surgery over 10 years ago. Started at 343 lbs and my lowest weight since was 190 lbs. I'm hear because I have gained some weight back do to injury no exercising and decided to work on getting down to my ideal weight which would be 140 or 150. First thing I would recommend is remember your tummy is the size of an egg. To keep yourself from eating more the an egg get some small Tupperware containers and split your meals into those so you know you aren't going over what your tummy can handle . For variety in the purée stage I bought Campbell's soups I liked and blended them in the blender then put them in the small containers. I also went to vitalady . Com and got a variety of their protien shakes as you can get some that are like drinking candy but designed for us. Also do not drink anything before or after you eat your meal for 30 minutes. If you aren't feeling well then go back and make sure you are getting enough protien every day. For healing your protien needs to be really high. Good luck!

Regards, pam