Notices

7 Day Motivational Starting 5/7/12

Old 05-09-2012, 09:44 AM
FitDay Member

Argh, Happy birthday Mike, sorry about your day. Do something fun!

Mern, nothing makes me madder than when a doctor isn't your health cheerleader. I've recently switched doctors and it was one of the best decisions I have made. I had to kiss a lot of frogs-so to speak- to find one who had my similar philosophy. I also second amalthea's comments about maybe asking your doctor to refer you to a Dietician and you work on that end of your health with them?

I am also losing weight in - slow as molasses mode. Sure some folks can lose weight really fast. I feel losing weight slowly keeps it off! mind over matter.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:24 AM
FitDay Member

Had a good day Calories left for a protein shake tonight.

Happy Birthday Mike You have my sympathy. I hate having an appointment with someone I'm not sure will show; especially on days I want to be elsewhere.

Take a day next week to celebrate getting older - and back on track. Mary
Old 05-09-2012, 11:48 AM
FitDay Member

Mike, wow, I'm so sorry your birthday has been sucky so far. I really do hope the evening proves to be more fun. Big hug to ya.

I feel so much better after studying my journal, weight and activities logs since my lamentation over my weight loss crawl. Thanks to all for your support and suggestions! You all are the best! I looked back to earlier in the year as Rose suggested (OMG, thanks for pointing me there, Rose! ) and found an actual entry in my FitDay journal/diary in late January that said I had taken my docs advice and dropped my protein down from 120g to around 100g and my weight loss stopped after I did that. I later wrote that I started losing weight nicely again by bumping protein back up to a minimum of 120g per day AND increasing my exercise from 30 minutes to 45 minutes five days a week. That was all it took--and I forgot that happened and I had found my way back.

I didn't mean to give my doc a bad rap. She really is my health management cheerleader. She is the one who helped me get my blood down from pre-diabetic to normal blood sugar and reduce my cholesterol and triglycerides through diet alone while my previous docs insisted on meds. She also serves as my dietician since most dieticians are not low carb supporters and she is. She has on several occasions gone over my food logs with me (approving, giving suggestions, etc) and my 15 minute scheduled conferences have exceeded half an hour a few times because she devotes to her patients as much time as they need. Since it's my body, I am the one who makes the final decision as to what to put into it. I'll tell her May 30 that dropping my protein down to 100g has negative effects on my weight loss, so she can note in her records that:

--May 10 I increased protein back up to 120g
--May 10 I increased exercise from 30-45 minutes
--in late April I lowered my calorie limit from 1600 to 1500
--in late April I lowered my dietary cholesterol limit from 300mg

I already know how to eat the way I plan, so I won't need to go over food logs with her this time.

Last edited by Mern; 05-09-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:07 PM
FitDay Member

Quinn, April, Darlene, Luv? Where are ya?

Last edited by Mern; 05-09-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:25 PM
FitDay Member

Didn't get much exercise today because of cramps. Stupid womanhood. Painting tomorrow and Friday, though, so that should make up for it.

1) 1,600 calories max/day (allow myself 1 guilt free day over 1,600) - 1352, 1533, 1581
2) do 2 exercises on days I don't work (walking/weights/Richard Simmons/stationary bike) - nothing, walking 1hr/weights, 45 mins walking/nothing else
3) 20% protein minimum - 26%, 25%, 20%
4) 64oz water minimum - 64oz+, 64oz+, 64oz+
5) calorie deficit 700+ - 757, 716, 594
6) take vitamins - yes, yes, yes
7) lights out by 11 the night before (except Sunday night because apparently I'm hooked on Celebrity Apprentice) - no, yes, no

(had to edit my report - it was all green except for the exercise but then we ended up going for a drive and we stopped for ice cream )

(edited again because I realized I pre-logged some chocolate and I certainly don't want it after ice cream - removing it fixed the red in everything but my deficit, at least)

Last edited by nobe; 05-09-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:27 PM
FitDay Premium Member

I'm just gonna throw the towel in this week. Way too busy and I noticed a few habits I didn't realize I had. This is how my week has gone
  • Sunday - Sew all day, night. Watch ArmyWives and The Client list (eat dinner while watching TV). Sew all night long (no bedtime for me)
  • Monday - Sew, sew, sew. Deliver a slipcover, install and get a hug from a happy delighted client. Watch The Voice and Smash and eat dinner at same time. Sew all night long - finish 4 pair of drapes for pickup on Tuesday
  • Tuesday - Sew all day and all night. Finish part 1 of 2 to be picked up at 9am Wed. Watched The Voice finale and eat dinner at same time
  • Wednesday - meet client w/ part 1 and get decision on solution to fabric shortage. Crash for 2 hours in my desk chair...and back to sewing - another long, long nite - pickup of part 2 scheduled for 9am Thur

What's missing? Sleep and meals. Total sleep since Sunday 8:30am - maybe 3 -4 hours of snooze time in a chair, otherwise full speed ahead cranking out the work. Broke down and bought a 12 pack of Pepsi to keep me going. Food? McDonald's drive thru and Subway salad. Snacks pulled from fridge. Bought the pepsi Tuesday evening and half of it is gone

I picked up a rush job that two days later doubled in size. If it wasn't for the extra $$ a rush job brings in I would not be doing this. Adding the extra work on to the already scheduled work is so much harder to accomplish on my own than with hired help.

I ache all over. My feet hurt, my hands are tender and numb, my back hurts. Tomorrow after pickup, I am going to take a shower and dive into bed and sleep for the rest of the day.

Sorry to whine but this is one of the reasons I have all this extra weight. And I need to read this later in the week and learn to stop the cycle.

I'll try to catch up Friday, but no goal posting for me the rest of the week.

Last edited by jeannedehart; 05-09-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

A big "hang in there" and a hug to those who are slogging through the week; a high five and "way to go" to those who are doing well! Sorry I haven't been able to chat much this week, but I am reading along to keep up with you all.

1. 1300 calories or fewer. 1270, 1140, 1296
2. Exercise 6 hours. 30 min, 0, 90 min
3. New water bottle...get two down every day. Yes, 1.5, Yes
4. Eat clean. Yes, Yes, Mostly
5. Take vitamins. Yes, Yes, Yes
6. Sleep 7 hours. 6 (Sunday night), 7, 7
7. Log everything and participate in forums. Yes, Yes (participation minimal, sorry ), Same today
Old 05-09-2012, 11:37 PM
FitDay Member

Wednesday Report

Calorie limit 1500 1586, 1278, 1270
Carbs less fiber limit 25g 26.9g, 21.1g, 17.6g
Fiber average 25g 36g, 31g, 39g
Cholesterol limit average 250g 241mg, 208mg, 155mg
Sat fat average 12% of total calories 11%, 14%, 11%
Protein average 100g CHANGED GOAL TO 120g May 10 126g, 107g, 131g
Water 64 oz. about 54 oz, YES, YES
Exercise 5 days YES, YES, YES

Last edited by Mern; 05-10-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:21 AM
FitDay Member

Nobe, thanks for your encouragement on being 30 lbs. down from my highest weight. Besides dropping my protein intake, doc suggested I drop the 1/2 daily avocado and 2 tablespoons of olive oil to help reduce cholesterol because even though they are "good fats" she feels they add too many calories for one who is already overweight. I did those two things. She emphasized portion control and gave me her approval on doubling my omega-3 fish oil capsules from 2000mg to 4000mg per day to help further reduce cholesterol. She gave me lots of credit saying "...your cholesterol and triglycerides are still high, but I wouldn't prescribe meds for someone with those numbers to eats healthfully and exercises the way you do. But you must continue to eat healthfully and exercise five days a week for the rest of your life."

Lizzie, drink up!

Ama, thanks so much for your kind words and encouragement. I noted in a reply to the group last night about how doc does go over my food logs and gives approval and makes suggestions for changes. I do have a lot of faith in her. She gave me the benefit of the doubt last month when my routine cholesterol and triglyceride test spiked after she read the ingredient lists of the over-the-counter meds I'd been taking for several days for an absolutely dreadful attack of seasonal allergies. She gave me credit for "sleuthing" and took my word I'd been eating as we agreed, taking fish oil supplements, and exercising to reduce cholesterol and triglycerides. We agreed to accept the test results as inaccurate and repeat the test in three months instead of four. Haven't decided yet what I will do to bump up exercise--will consider that today, but I do know I'll increase my sessions from 30 to 45 minutes.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:08 AM
FitDay Member

Diet Goals:
Tupperware pitcher of water, daily M,T,W
Walk 1.5 miles daily M,T,W
3-1200 calories days T
Personal goals:
Clean kitchen after each meal M,T,W
Keep kitchen floor free of dog hair M,T,W
Vacuum 5 days M,W
Wash walls of entryway and halls
----
Can you tell the dogs are shedding?

Mern- I'm glad to hear that your doctor spends the time with you to help. That is rare and good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.