FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Fabulous 100 pound club for women... (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/729-fabulous-100-pound-club-women.html)

pattialbert 03-28-2010 10:48 PM

Fabulous 100 pound club for women...

Trying to start this new thread again. Hope this one works

almeeker 03-29-2010 12:08 AM

I'll kick it off. Today I went shopping today and did not have to go into the Women's department!!! Because I now wear a size 16!!!! Whoo hooo. I bought a very cute little number in jade green for my cousin's wedding next month, and to set it off I went and bought a new pair of silver shoes to go with! 57 pounds lost, 67 to go!!!

desertmountain: I was never on "The Biggest Loser" TV show. The local health club hosted one for the new year, but they charged $150/couple to join. A friend of mine got ticked off at the price and organized her own just by posting it on facebook. Anyway my husband and I entered, it was only $20/couple, and you had to pay an extra $5 penalty on weeks if you didn't lose. 17 couples participated, and my hubby and I won 2nd place. It was a lot of fun actually, kept me motivated for 8-9 weeks.

Congrats on all that garden work, I can't wait for our season to start. Wheeee!!!

The popcorn I bought was "Act II 94% Fat Free Butter". The calories listed on the side have both the "pre-popped" nutrition and the "after popped" nutrition for a 1 cup serving. The bag makes approx 7 cups and a single cup has 15 calories, so approximately 105 calories if you hork down the whole thing. I made a bag yesterday and hid it in my purse and snuck it into the movie theater. My husband and kids were laughing at me, but I didn't break my diet on a half drum of movie theater popcorn swimming in butter. And truthfully I was perfectly happy with my little bag of corn. It was just the right size really, and once it was gone so was my desire to eat popcorn.

Hey anybody catch the Jamie Oliver thing on Friday night?

desertmountain 03-29-2010 04:00 PM

Good morning friends-it feels like we're meeting in a new cafe this morning.:) Pattialbert: Maybe you can post that we've moved in case any new members start posting in our old thread. I'm glad that you're lovin' SB and doing so well!

Almeeker: WooHoo women's dept be gone forever! A new jade dress and matching shoes :D you'll feel soooooo good at the wedding. I bet you'll be getting a ton of positive feedback from ppl who haven't seen you in a while, too. Dang it, we missed the Jamie show. Hopefully it'll air again. Did you see it? The ads for it showed the kids not liking the healthier foods but I'm hoping the project turned out good in the end. That the generation of kids today aren't expected to live as long as their parents is totally shocking and extremely sad. Your friend's Biggest Loser idea was awesome. Was that how you got started on your new lifestyle? I can see where it would keep ppl motivated, especially having couples doing it together for even more support. I've been thinking about your short growing season & wondering if your family can build you a greenhouse. After doing a lot of research last year I found this one. It's the least expensive one I could find but it's pretty ugly so you might not want it in your back yard (my dh is resisting b/c of the way it looks) http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_circulars/CR-606.pdfThanks so much for the name of that popcorn, I'll have them order it. Kudos on having the nerve & smarts to bring your own popcorn.

Good/Bad news~Good news: the hair coupon doesn't have an expiration date (reward for another 10 pound loss). Bad news: good thing since I've been back up to 195 for days and days...and days...grrrrrrr....have even given up popcorn & other allowable treats trying to break the plateau. The next thing I'll give up is red meat since my fastest weight loss came from abstaining.

More good news: the weather is warming back up & so finishing the raised bed for the tomatilloes will finally get done this week. Immediately after the project got started, it got put on hold when several snowy cold fronts plowed through (cement doesn't cure properly in cold weather). Finally, the piles of cinder blocks cluttering up the back yard will be gone after this week. The best good news: My shoulder & lower back are slowly (and carefully) getting back into shape - I feel my body getting stronger & stronger. I can't wait until I can start using the Rebounder I ordered to add cardio to my workouts. It should be easier on the back & knees. Anyone here ever use one?

speedyfair 03-30-2010 12:03 AM

Love our new title :)

Hello ladies

It was a tough weekend, but I made it and still stayed in the 250's but just barely 259 this morning. I went grocery shopping over the weekend and am really prepared this week. I'm going to make a black bean and cabbage soup with tons of veggies that will last all week so I'll have good choices. Also was pleasantly surprised to find thin bagels- their new and looks like the cut out the middle of the bagel. They are only 110 calories and with a little light cream cheese should make a nice breakfast under 200 calories.

so glad to see so many new faces and everyone posting so often, I check in often as it keeps me motivated to hear how everyone is doing. Everyone seems to be doing well and certainly looking forward to some warmer weather. I just found out a local shopping center is going to have a farmer's market every Sat from April thru Nov so really am looking forward to some summer veggies. Great job for growing your own- that must really be satisfying- maybe I'll try a few tomato plants in pots on the patio this year.

For the low-carbers- I did that for two years and lost over 60 lbs, but couldn't maintain that lifestyle over the long term. I really did enjoy it while I on the plan but once I started eating carbs again, I gained all of it back. One thing I really liked if you can find it is spaghetti squash- I microwaved it whole with some holes poked in it and made sauce or meatballs and served just like regular spaghetti. It's a great alternative to pasta and I'm going to make it for myself this summer. I can't find any in the stores yet.

Everyone have a great evening.

almeeker 03-30-2010 02:20 PM

Good morning everybody!!! I was up on the scale this morning and fighting that "down-in-the-diet" feeling, until I tried on a pair of jeans that I couldn't get on last week. They fit this morning!! Okay, yes they are snug, but they are zipped and I can still sit and breath - at the same time.

Speedyfair: Thin bagels eh? Sounds good, I've been using the Earthgrains thin buns and the Aunt Millie's Slimwiches. They are both about 100 calories, 1.5g of fat and maybe 21 grams of carbs. Both come in "whole grain" and "multi-grain". I've been using them like bagels and sandwich buns, and using Greek yogurt instead of lite cream cheese. Yummmmmm..... I'm doing a reduced carb diet, but I could never do Atkins, I'm not a vegetarian, but it's a near thing. I grow the spaghetti squash in the garden, the kids love it. I never thought to use it like pasta, we normally just spritz a little spray butter on it and maybe toss it with some herbs. I'll have to try that.

Desertmountain: No I did not see the Jamie Oliver thing, I got a play by play from the hubby and was sort of surprised that this site wasn't on fire with it Saturday morning. DH said that it was sad and funny all at the same time. The kids couldn't identify vegetables, couldn't use silverware and you'll never guess what the school served for breakfast... Pizza. Yes that's right, pizza for breakfast at the elementary school. At one point Jamie went into a home at random and opened up the freezer, it was full top to bottom with frozen pizza.

Sorry to hear you're hovering, me too at 188-189 no less, in fact I've been up the last 2 days, and I have no idea why (hopefully not the popcorn). So this morning I increased my elliptical ride by 15 minutes. So we'll see if that helps. I've never even heard of a rebounder, let alone use one. I quite love my elliptical, it's very easy on my old broken down knees. DH says he's going to fix the stationary bike and drag it in to the house.

Hopefully my "up" trend will break before Thursday morning because we're going on a little weekend trip to Chicago. And it seems to me the last time I went to Chicago I gained 5 pounds. So wish me luck. DH's phone has internet so I can check the menu's before we eat anywhere.

I'm going to have to second your husband's opinion on the ugliness of that greenhouse. That would never hold up to the wind we get here in March and April. But hey, it's better than what I have going on right now.

pattialbert 03-30-2010 03:36 PM

Morning everyone
had a good weekend foodwise and yesterday the scale rewarded me with a 279.4 , this morning was at 280.2 but i saw it...and it will come again. The fitness instructor at the ymca complimented me on my committment at the y yesterday...
I did watch the Jamie Oliver show...it sure it eye opening!!! The kids not knowing thier veggies was soo sad but good for the teacher to not let it go..she taught them what they were..what I would have liked to see was the kids trying them.

Almeeker...wahooo ont he jeans!!! I bet that perked you up this morning!
Love the idea of sneaking your own popcorn into the movies...love love love popcorn,. but make it the old fashioned way. Not crazy about the microwave kinds
Speedyfair weekends are tough..glad to see you got thru it ok. Funny Ive alwyas made my spag squash as a pasta never just cooked it to eat it plain. Desertmountain Im trying to limit my red meats...once or twice a week is good enough for me. Mind you I had a burger without the bun last week and it tasted soooo good!!! haha..
have a good day everyone maybe the new thread worked..I was able to post this without cutting and pasting.

speedyfair 03-31-2010 12:08 PM

with all the talk of popcorn- had to have it for a snack last night LOL
I have a microwave popcorn popper that requires no oil or butter and I spray it with a little Pam butter spray and sprinkle tiny bit of salt- still trying to watch my sodium. It was very satisfying.

great thinking ahead almeeker about your trip- maybe you can even look at some restaurants before you go- preparation is the key to having a wonderful and healthy trip. Hope you have a wonderful time- this weekend is supposed to be beautiful weatherwise.

congrat pattialbert on breaking through another decade- once you see that number down it really motivates you to keep at it.

everyone have a great day and stay healthy.

desertmountain 03-31-2010 02:11 PM

Speedyfair-that black bean & cabbage soup sounds interesting. I just saw an episode of Good Eats (Alton Brown is my favorite chef on Food Network) on cabbage, something I've never had much success cooking before but will try again. Farmer's markets are so much fun! I love farmer's markets. It'll be a great way for you to eat healthy & locally while supporting local growers. I always lost a lot of weight on low carb diets and like you would gain it all back when I stopped since it was too hard to maintain that as a way of eating for the rest of my life. Now I'm trying to learn which carbs are okay & which ones I'll always have to avoid or limit since those are such a big problem for me. I eat a lot of veggies and the non-starchy veggies, although high in carbs, don't cause any problems, so I'm getting lots of carbs now.

Almeeker: Awesome! You're in the LL Bean jeans already?? You go girl! You're my inspiration. Too bad we don't live closer, I could trade you seedlings for your old clothes LOL. It's always been so hard to find petites in larger sizes. I'm able to fit in my 20's now :D and even into a couple of the 18's. I bought some size 16's doing P90 last year & can't wait to wear them again. A rebounder is a mini-trampoline. Here's the one that I ordered http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stamina-InTONE-Jogger/5513932 I like the bar to hold onto. Doing aerobics on hard surfaces is really hard on my back & joints and the rebounder was the least expensive low impact thing that I could find. This time I'm learning how to avoid injuries since daily exercise has got to be part of my lifestyle from now on. Yeah, sadly I have to agree with you and dh, that 'hoop house' doesn't look so hot. Too bad b/c it's so inexpensive to build. BTW, dh says the quonset hut design holds up to wind if you have a prevailing wind to orient it to, high winds are a problem for us as well. I'd really love to have a traditional greenhouse, but they're so expensive & for the small gardens that I grow, it's not practical. I hope the extra time spent on your elliptical works to break your hovering...hovering should only be for helicopters and not ppl losing weight. Have fun in the Windy City!

Pattialbert: WooHoo 270's!! Yep, you'll be living in the 270's soon :D I do that same thing, go down a bunch then my body goes, whoa! and jumps back up a pound or so, but it's always the signal that that lower number going to be staying and soon! Congrats on the hard work.

desertmountain 04-01-2010 03:33 PM

Good morning ladies. Almeeker must be having a wonderful time in Chicago today...but where did everyone else go? My rebounder is in, so I'll be starting my cardio workouts either tonight or tomorrow. It came with a DVD, which is good since I don't know what to do....but I'm very excited anyways. I hope everyone has a terrific & successful day :)

pattialbert 04-02-2010 12:13 AM

Im here...started a spring break today so Im off for 11 days...good thing my walking partner is back...I was planning on a day off tomorrow but she wants to go ..so off I go to!! Well the 270's didnt stay long...went back up the next day and havn't seen it since. Im trying really hard not to drive myself crazy...I had put the thought in my head that I wanted to be in the 270s by the end of the month...Im not going to do that again. Ive lost 2 pounds this week so far which is great...and if I didnt step on the scale every day I wouldnt know I had briefly hit my goal. Ive been watching the scale creep up .2 increments the last three days..which isnt good but overall still down 2 pounds...I should be very happy with that!! No more goals for the month...just taking it in 10 pounds increments that happen whenever they do!Remind me of this when I start talking goals again.......:mad:
Desertmountain I know what a rebounder is...they were very popular quite a few years ago...never could get the hang of those.
Speedyfair Im planning popcorn this weekend as well...love my microwave popper..when I dont do it on the stove I grab that one..got it at walmart. So easy to use!! and I control all the ingrediants.

Everyone have a wonderful weekend!!! To those who celebrate Easter...hoppy easter!!!!

amylee32 04-02-2010 03:12 AM

Hey ladies!

I have to tell you, you are all so encouraging! I am facing the oh-so-wonderful reality that I NEED to lose at LEAST 100 pounds. Even then I will be overweight. Sigh. I cried when I read the scale 2 1/2 weeks ago. A whopping 400 pounds. I am very ashamed of myself, rather disgusted. But, I am the only one who can change it and I know that. I am currently down 15 pounds and love it. It's so nice to not see the evil "4" on the scale.

How do you all stay so motivated? I keep trying to set smaller goals for myself, like 5 pounds. I do ok for a day or so then freak when I realize I have 100 lbs to go! It seems impossible that I will ever get there... :(

SkinnyErinn 04-02-2010 04:35 AM

New here.

Hi all, I have been using FitDay for 3 weeks now. I went to the doctor for a pre-employment physical, and while he said I was healthy, my weight was 306. This morning I weighed in again (only 1x a week on Thursdays) and I am now 283. I am on a very low carb diet designed by a nutritionist, eat about 1100 calories a day. I take about 20 vitamin supplements a day, but it's worth it.
When I was 24 I weighed 430 pounds. I got down to 215 (and looked FANTASTIC) by the time I was 26. Then, I got into a relationship with an EATER! Seriously bad eating habits, overweight, inactive... all the bad stuff. So, fast forward 3.5 years and I am pregnant with my second child and deliver at 334... less than 100 pounds from my starting weight. It's been a crazy roller coaster. My weight even made me shrink from 5'7" to 5'5".
Fortunately I am not a lazy person. Don't get me wrong, I HATE exercising but I move around alot all day long.
My weight loss goal is to be at 270 (-13 pounds) by 4/26. We'll see if I can do it. Ultimately I would love to get to 175, though that is still 25 pounds overweight according to FitDay.
I really look forward to getting to know you all.

speedyfair 04-02-2010 11:25 AM

It's friday!

Hi all

Last day of the work week for me and looking forward to some sunshine this weekend. Did pretty good all week- ae my "diet soup " and that helped to kick start me back to good eating habits.

amylee- welcome and I try not to focus on the total weight I have to lose, know that this is a lifestyle change and I break it down into 10 lbs decades so I don't get discouraged that I have so far to go. Celebrate each step and realize that every good and healthy choice you make takes you one step closer to your goal. This thread has certainly helped me to stay motivated.

patti- what a great Spring break- enjoy

desertmountain- if I have time, I will post my soup recipe lots of veggies and it makes a lot so I have it all week.

skinnyerin- I know how having someone with bad habits can effect your choices, but know that you are doing this for yourself and your family. The best gift you can give them is being healthy.

everyone have a wonderful Spring - Sunny weekend

desertmountain 04-02-2010 04:37 PM

Bad Day

I had a terrible day yesterday and ended up eating 2 cups of dh's hamburger helper and 2 cups of his potato chips late last night. It totaled more than my daily allowable calories in that one sitting. So not worth it! I immediately went into some pretty serious negative self-talk (abusive when I look back on it--I would never talk to another person like that :o) Anyways, I'm trying to make peace with myself today. I was going to eat really low calorie for a couple of days to make up for it, that was one of my excuses last night, but now I'm afraid that being overly hungry could set me up to binge again. I'm not sure what to do. I log in my daily eating plan to get it at 1200 everyday but right now the plan is 800. Anyways, I use the word binge here b/c that's what it felt like...another excuse I told myself last night that it wasn't really a binge (even though I was giving into that out of control urge to eat) because I measured everything out & ate a lot less than I would have in the past during a binge.
I'm trying to understand it so I won't fall into this again but I"m not sure exactly what happened except that I've been really frustrated this week at working so hard to loose weight but staying stuck at this plateau and then felt emotionally rough yesterday for no reason, just a completely off day. So I think that I just went to the bad old habit of reaching for comfort food since it was right there in front of me. Usually when dh makes his high cal/high fat food it's not that hard to resist since it's mostly all processed food, which I normally don't find so appealing.
They say that no one plans to fail, they just fail to plan so obviously I need a better plan. New plan: I promise myself that next time #1 - I will eat an allowable snack & remind myself that I'm NOT deprived. #2 I will not obsess over the forbidden food--I will come to Fitday and read & post for 30 minutes or for as long as it takes to get my mind off of it & back into the grove of reaching my goals. I'm not sure what else to try. Can you share what works best for you if you go through things like this, too?

Thank you for listening to me and letting me share this with you. After writing this I feel a little less scared that I'm going to go back into my old destructive habits & give up.

GlowingG 04-02-2010 10:32 PM

Dear DesertMountain,

Thank you for sharing where you are. Maybe the obessessing will be less if you forgive yourself, and start afresh at 1,200.

Dear AmyLee: I look forward to going on this journey with you. One day on fitday at a time!

I'm new to Fitday this year, introduced by the wonderful Carlene Jones, who is holding me to account. She coaches obese people who want to take action. In a really busy life, she holds me to account. It's extraordinary to find out the calorie and fat grams of the food I've been eating. Now, I'm committed to walking an hour a day, raising my heart rate.

I've just celebrated 19.8lbs with her (a few more in fact) and being under 20 stone (the Brits will understand that!), by blowing bubbles for my dogs! I also have stickers in my work note book (yes - sparkly balloons on the back apge - very mature as I'm the MD!) and kid's well done stickers on a card in my closet. Marking our progress and getting on when we fail, and celebrating now not later are all key to me!

So I look forward to celebrating with you you all as we release the lbs back to willd.............

desertmountain 04-03-2010 03:08 PM

I'm back on track with a better outlook today. Thanks for your help GlowingG, that forgiveness part was exactly what I needed to do before I could move on. Welcome to Fitday, it sounds like you have some really good support (love the bubble blowing party & sticker ideas :), we're all children at heart) and a healthy plan. Congratulations on losing so much! That's wonderful.

Amylee32-I agree with Speedyfair. When I think about how much more I have to lose it gets really hard to stay motivated, too. Since coming to Fitday I've learned to break it up into 10 pound goals & then reward myself for each of those mini-goals...okay, it doesn't feel like mini anything since 10 pounds represents a lot of hard work! But it's doable & together we can make this happen!

SkinnyErinn-boy could I relate to your post. I'm so glad that you've decided to get fit before any weight related health issues creep up on you. Kudos! For decades my docs always fussed at me to lose weight, but my lab work was good until last year, blood sugar was a little high & that's been motivating me to get fit. I also hate to exercise only when it's an exercise program, but love to be active gardening, playing with my dogs, etc. My goal is to adopt lifelong healthy habits so I've started doing regular exercise for an hour a day. I still hate it, but less and less as I press on. I've been focusing on strengthening my core & feel stronger & also less lower back pain from sitting a lot at work so seeing some results keeps me motivated. My dh is an eater but must have the metabolism of a hummingbird since he's in good shape regardless of how much junk food or snacks he eats. It's hard not to follow the other person's example especially when you love food or are a foodie like me. I'm glad that you're on track & making really good progress - awesome job! I look forward to hearing about your progress here.

Hey Speedyfair, I hope you're having a fun holiday weekend. Yes, I'd love that recipe. I've cut the fat & some calories out of the Alton Brown cabbage recipe & will make it today, let me know if you'd like a copy of it.

Enjoy your Spring break Pattialbert :D

SkinnyErinn 04-03-2010 05:13 PM

Pettiness and control

Before anyone gets confuzzled - I am in a same-gender relationship, lol.
Ok, so my partner and I just got into an argument about Sweet Tarts. Apparently, she's had them for weeks. First off, let me preface this by explaining that yesterday we went shopping for Easter goodies yesterday and while I wanted to focus on the non-edible stuff like toys, she kept going to chocolate (because I knew she was really going to be the one eating it, we don't allow our daughter to have candy and our son it too young).
So flash forward to this morning. I go into the office and find her secret stash of Sweet Tarts. She says it's to help her quit smoking. I ask why she couldn't just have sugar free certs or something. She freaks out on me, says I am always "all or nothing" and throws the candy in the trash, storming out.
We are always arguing about her lifestyle. She is obese, extremely inactive and has just about the worse eating habits one could have. She says that because she only has about 70 pounds to lose, she shouldn't have to change anything until I have only 70 pounds to lose, so we can lose them together. I just hear excuses and laziness.
SO, what do you think, am I being petty and controlling?

CrabLegs 04-03-2010 05:47 PM

Amylee32 I lost over 100 lbs and it is very possible.

CrabLegs 04-03-2010 06:03 PM

Hi everyone, I have 100 lbs to lose again and I hope Fitday can help me. I was on Weight Watchers and lost over 100 lbs but I gained it back because I went back to making poor eating choices. I have to lose weight for my health and I feel this will be a good motivator. Hope to make friends here who have the same goals. I have 2 beautiful daughters and will be a grandmother for the first time very soon.

desertmountain 04-03-2010 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by SkinnyErinn (Post 7504)
Ok, so my partner and I just got into an argument about Sweet Tarts. Apparently, she's had them for weeks. First off, let me preface this by explaining that yesterday we went shopping for Easter goodies yesterday and while I wanted to focus on the non-edible stuff like toys, she kept going to chocolate (because I knew she was really going to be the one eating it, we don't allow our daughter to have candy and our son it too young).
So flash forward to this morning. I go into the office and find her secret stash of Sweet Tarts. She says it's to help her quit smoking. I ask why she couldn't just have sugar free certs or something. She freaks out on me, says I am always "all or nothing" and throws the candy in the trash, storming out.
We are always arguing about her lifestyle. She is obese, extremely inactive and has just about the worse eating habits one could have. She says that because she only has about 70 pounds to lose, she shouldn't have to change anything until I have only 70 pounds to lose, so we can lose them together. I just hear excuses and laziness.

What I've learned from living with someone who's not very interested in changing their eating habits is to let it go. What I hear her saying is that when she's ready, she'll join you. She's not ready. She probably needs your support right now by understanding that her choice, although not the best, is helping her to do something very hard, quit smoking. I don't think that it's petty or controlling to see your loved one doing things that hurts them & want to help them see it, too. But, since you've pointed out the chocolate thing to her (hopefully you did anyways) I'm not sure what else you can do. As frustrating as it is, as an adult, it's her choice. I hope it's just temporary b/c she quitting & that she now sees what she was or is doing.
You'll be a good influence on her just buying & cooking the things you eat now. I've noticed that dh has been buying low fat & sugar-free foods on his own lately, which is new. Since I'll be eating this way from now on, I cook whatever, and there's always enough for him as well, but he often will just make his own high cal/high fat stuff. Although it would be a healthier choice for him, he's not ready to eat this way. We're both foodies...love to cook & be creative in the kitchen so it could have been a major problem for me (us) but the arrangement we came up with is that I made up a list of foods that he can't cook or bring into the house b/c I have a really hard time with not eating it, like pizza (drool) or pastries. If he wants it he can eat out and that's how he supports me. He also says good stuff about how I look different already & of course that helps me, too.
Even though it'd be super wonderful to have them join us, we can only expect them to do what they can do to be supportive. Another idea to help her that you might try is some form of activity to help her to get into exercise. It's always fun to have someone to take a walk with, maybe you could start a family tradition for everyone to go for an after dinner stroll or something along those lines. That would also support her quit since they say that it increases endorphins which is suppose to make the nicotine cravings less so I've heard.

desertmountain 04-03-2010 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by CrabLegs (Post 7509)
Hi everyone, I have 100 lbs to lose again and I hope Fitday can help me. I was on Weight Watchers and lost over 100 lbs but I gained it back because I went back to making poor eating choices. I have to lose weight for my health and I feel this will be a good motivator. Hope to make friends here who have the same goals. I have 2 beautiful daughters and will be a grandmother for the first time very soon.

Hi Crablegs, glad to have you join us. Congrats on becoming a grandmother soon! :) I'm with you on the poor eating choices, it's so easy to do. My goal is to learn a new way of eating that I can enjoy (that's doable) for life. I've done a lot of diets, but as soon as I go off the program the pounds would come back bringing it's friends. I think Fitday is a good motivator and will help you to stay on track. Have a great holiday weekend.

speedyfair 04-04-2010 02:50 PM

How is everyone's weekend

Hi all

Welcome to all the new faces, I can certainly relate to your posts, that's what I find so motivating about our thread, sometime I'll read a post and think- wow I could be writing that. It's hard to stay on track when you don't have support, but you have to do this for yourself and you cannot change their actions only your reaction.

Went shopping yesterday and got two new tops- so great to like and buy something in the next size down. Yea! I'm going to wear one today- going out to dinner with the family for Easter and hoping my new shirt will remind me of the reasons for not overeating today. I'll just look at my new top and say - I don't need that desert.

Hope everyone who is celebrating has a Happy Easter!

SkinnyErinn 04-04-2010 09:54 PM

What is everyone eating today?

So, I am having 6 ounces of ham
6 devilled egg halves (my fav!)
6 spears of asparagus flavored with lemon juice
2 tomatoes chopped with some salt and pepper
total: 697 calories. Not bad for holiday eating! :D

I may have 8 oz of white wine, which is an additional 200 calories.... we'll see. 897 is still very good for a holiday!

speedyfair 04-04-2010 11:25 PM

very good holiday too! Had 6 oz roast beef & 1/2 cup mashed potatoes no gravy or butter, and green beans- green salad. You got free desert with dinner- it is in a to-go box and left at my parent's house-Yea!! lol

amylee32 04-05-2010 02:33 AM

Happy Easter everyone! I hope you all had a good day. :) I don't think I did very well today. I had this great plan to eat before I went to my family's house, but easter basket hunting, teenage drama, and trying to catch up on housework kind of took over. I didn't eat so of course I was starving by the time I got there. The menu was ham macaroni salad, potato salad, grilled burgers, and stawberry cake. All my favorite foods, of course. So, I debated on not eating (and being hungry all day) and eating and trying to do as well as I could. I chose to eat..I ate about 2 cups macaroni salad, 1 cup potato salad and 1 burger without a bun. My daughter talked me into a piece of cake (it really didn't take much convincing, unfortunately) and I ate a small piece of it. I'm afraid to see what damage I did. I used light mayo in all the salads and the meat was pretty lean, but I feel horrible. I hope I didn't do a lot of damage.

So, how does everyone here prepare for an event where the food isn't part of your diet?

SkinnyErinn 04-05-2010 03:31 AM

Planning for unhealthy...

I tell the hostess that I will not be able to eat what everyone else is. I pick at veggie platters (no ranch or dip of course!), drink diet soda, or maybe have a hanmburger with no bun, no condiments. I make sure everyone know I am on a special eating plan. I treat sugar and carbs like an allergy - I can not have them because I am allergic. Everyone understands. They actually respect my upfront-ness about it. I went to my mom's a week ago for a pizza party. I told her I would bring my own salad - with JUST basalmic vinegar for dressing. Then, when I was really craving pizza I ran off to the gym for 30 minutes. By the time I came back I was feeling so good about myself that I felt no desire for nasty pizza. In fact I was grossed out by how much everyone was chowing down on it.
Today, I was the hostess. I planned ahead what I would make for everyone - and what I would eat instead. I had others taste-test for me to make sure everything tasted great - and that NOTHING unexpected touched my lips:cool:. Then, I had my pre-planned dinner and felt really good about myself. I had one glass of wine (8 oz) which was carefully planned and measured.
I think it just takes alot of pre-planning and honesty to get through these holidays. It's hard - the chocolate See's eggs are seriously calling to me, but so is being under 200 pounds. So... I swallow hard, and find a distraction.

OH! I also make sure to pack appropriate snacks in my purse when I am going to parties that may not have ANYTHING I can eat - like raw almonds, protein shake, etc.
Hope this helps.

almeeker 04-05-2010 01:34 PM

Good morning everybody!!! Happy Day after Easter, hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. We had a great time in Chicago, took the kids to see a bunch of things we'd been telling them about for ages. It rained a little one day, but the rest of the time it was sunny and if not for the Chicago wind, warm enough for shorts!!! Well I had planned to be very careful, and for the most part I was. Although I have to say in terms of traveling my diet is not very workable away from home, which I already knew. I took a salad with me for the train ride and had planned to hit the hotel gym both mornings we stayed there, but guess what? Everybody else staying the hotel had the same plan, it was PACKED, so I skipped it. My pedometer was telling me that I had walked enough anyway.

Food was another issue. I tried to get salads and lean meat when we ate out, but it was very hard. The portion sizes were completely out of control, and the salad dressings were absolutely loaded with calories. I asked for them on the side, but half the time they came tossed into the salad anyway, and the restaurants were so busy you couldn't get the waiter back quickly to fix it. So I just decided that for traveling I was going on a little bit of a vacation from the strict diet. I let myself have more calories than usual, hoping to hit a calorie level where I wouldn't be gaining, just maintaining. Since I'm not at my goal weight this was difficult at best, since I really don't know how many calories that is.

And to make matters worse, my mother called to ask if I was cooking Easter dinner, and when I said "yes". She told me she had to work and she was going to send dad over to eat with us? Which is totally fine, so then I told her to call my brother and invite them over as well. So 18 hours after getting home from Chicago, I hosted Easter dinner at my house, semi-potluck. I won't go into the delicious details, but I made all the traditional favorites, everybody else brought multiple dishes to pass and yesterday afternoon I ate a very full plate of all sorts of things not allowed on my diet. After our company left I sat down at fitday.com and with complete honesty logged all my foods for the last several days. This is the first time since joining fitday that I've eaten as many (or more) calories than I've burned. The good news is that I was only up 2.2 pounds yesterday and this morning I was down by 1.1, so maybe by tomorrow or the day after I'll be back to where I was when we left for Chicago. All in all it was fine and will only take a few days to undue. So I don't think I fell off the wagon, it was more of a controlled stepping off for a few days. I've been good this morning and will be going shopping in a little while to restock the fresh fruits and veggies and am planning to take the kids to the park for a little play time this afternoon.

BTW, a slice of cheese cake from the Cheesecake Factory averages 1000 calories. And while I didn't actually order my own piece of cheesecake, I did have multiple bites off the ones the kids got. Argh!!!

pattialbert 04-05-2010 04:23 PM

Morning everyone
looks like everyone handled Easter pretty well...I had given up a few things for lent so this weekend I indulged ,,got over it,,and back on plan once again. Of course the scale is up because of it but Im ok with it...I decided to eat them and planned for them..it wasnt mindless munching. I enjoyed the treats too. I think I will do the same thing for my birthday in May...eat well and healthy and then splurge for it. I didnt become obsessive over it either which is a good thing for me!!
Not feeling any food cravings today so thats good! Back to the gym and aquafit tonight as well..those pounds will be gone by this week!!

Crablegs welcome!!! glad you joined us! Congrats on becoming a gramma!!
Erin I think Desertmountain gave you good advice...you cant push your SO to do something she isn't ready for. I would ask her to keep her stuff somewhere you wont find it though.
Almeeker considering you had an unplanned dinner I think you did well!! Glad you had a great trip!
Amylee bring something you can have to enjoy! The burger with no bun was a good idea..now next time bring some devilled eggs or a salad or veggies and low cal dip and you will feel like your not depriving yourself. Theres lots of low cal desserts you can make as well..and no one is wiser!
Speedy proud of you for leaving that dessert behind!!!

Have a good on plan week everyone...its getting to be shorts weather soon! lets get going

oliviagilmore 04-06-2010 01:56 AM

I have around 70 to 100 lbs to go. I will see when I get there. The experts say 70, I say 100. I weigh 265 and want to get to 165. Im 5'9 and my husband is in the airforce and no help. I want a partner to talk to about my weight loss!

oliviagilmore 04-06-2010 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by SkinnyErinn (Post 7574)
I tell the hostess that I will not be able to eat what everyone else is. I pick at veggie platters (no ranch or dip of course!), drink diet soda, or maybe have a hanmburger with no bun, no condiments. I make sure everyone know I am on a special eating plan. I treat sugar and carbs like an allergy - I can not have them because I am allergic. Everyone understands. They actually respect my upfront-ness about it. I went to my mom's a week ago for a pizza party. I told her I would bring my own salad - with JUST basalmic vinegar for dressing. Then, when I was really craving pizza I ran off to the gym for 30 minutes. By the time I came back I was feeling so good about myself that I felt no desire for nasty pizza. In fact I was grossed out by how much everyone was chowing down on it.
Today, I was the hostess. I planned ahead what I would make for everyone - and what I would eat instead. I had others taste-test for me to make sure everything tasted great - and that NOTHING unexpected touched my lips:cool:. Then, I had my pre-planned dinner and felt really good about myself. I had one glass of wine (8 oz) which was carefully planned and measured.
I think it just takes alot of pre-planning and honesty to get through these holidays. It's hard - the chocolate See's eggs are seriously calling to me, but so is being under 200 pounds. So... I swallow hard, and find a distraction.

OH! I also make sure to pack appropriate snacks in my purse when I am going to parties that may not have ANYTHING I can eat - like raw almonds, protein shake, etc.
Hope this helps.

Man i wish I had your control! Teach me. I wanna be your buddy!!! =]

almeeker 04-06-2010 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by SkinnyErinn (Post 7504)

I hate to say this, because I can tell from your posts that you are very serious about losing weight and committed to a healthier lifestyle, but you might be verging on "Food Natzi". I struggle with that problem myself, so I recognize the signs.

Let me tell you about my own experience. My husband had a wake up call from his heart and cholesterol 9-10 years ago. His doc told him he needed to lose 65-70 pounds, cut cholesterol from his diet and get a solid cardio workout 3-4 hours/week minimum. At that same time I was pregnant with our first, working full time and we were also renovating our house. I felt like my hands were already full, so I sort of ignored his issues and just kept pace with my own. Although I made some attempt to change our favorite dishes to low fat and low cholesterol. Anyway he lost the weight, joined a gym and never once said boo about my own habits. Which could not have been easy, because health-wise I was headed down a raging river in a holey boat with no paddle. Since then we've had 2 more children, and our oldest had several near death experiences, so for the last 10 years I've been completely pre-occupied with motherhood.

Last fall I decided on my own, without any sort of wake up call, or fighting with my husband that my time had come to get healthy again. I think if he had been beating me up verbally all this time over my habits, we would have been divorced a long time ago. And given that I'm stubborn, I would probably have behaved worse, eaten way more and be even heavier and more out of shape then I am. As hard as it might be for you to hear, you gotta let your SO come to Jesus of her own free will.

desertmountain 04-06-2010 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 7581)
... We had a great time in Chicago, took the kids to see a bunch of things we'd been telling them about for ages. It rained a little one day, but the rest of the time it was sunny and if not for the Chicago wind, warm enough for shorts!!! ....
BTW, a slice of cheese cake from the Cheesecake Factory averages 1000 calories. And while I didn't actually order my own piece of cheesecake, I did have multiple bites off the ones the kids got. Argh!!!

Hey Almeeker - I'm so glad that you had a wonderful time in Chicago & that it was warm & dry (for the most part) during your trip. OMG - 1,000 cal per slice??? It amazes me that I didn't get fatter than I did with the calories in some foods that I ate so much of...I had NO idea. Thank god for Fitday!

Welcome oliviagilmore, you've come to the right place to find ppl to join you on your journey. I look forward to learning about the things you've learned that work & how you're doing. Best wishes for fabulous results!

I've been staying on track & went back to eating the allowable snacks since I think that was a big part of my frustration & eating off plan last week. I couldn't figure out what had caused me to stall & nothing I tried was moving me off that cursed plateau so I went back to my original eating plan since that had been working to see what would happen. Well F-I-N-A-L-L-L-L-Y! this morning I was down a pound & a half. Which means I've reached another goal and will set my hair appointment at Aveda's for my reward! After these weeks (that seriously felt like months) of not seeing any results from all of my hard work & effort I can't tell you how thrilled I am today. I'm guessing that at times our bodies, or at least my body, just gets hung-up on those plateaus. I hate, hate, hate the cursed, blasted plateaus.

Playing around with Easter recipes I came up with a 3 calorie 'cookie' that I'm calling Coco Clouds. It's so tasty & easy. Just whip egg whites into stiff peaks (I also used cream of tarter since I didn't use sugar to hold the whites), & then add a small amount of vanilla extract, sweetener and unsweetened cocoa. Pipe or spoon into small cookie shapes and bake in a slow oven for 20 minutes. They're unbelievably good.

I'm glad everyone is doing well & had a good Easter holiday. I'll be eating turkey breast for a while - and meanwhile the dogs are loving the thighs & legs...they love my new way of eating.

almeeker 04-06-2010 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by desertmountain (Post 7709)
I've been staying on track & went back to eating the allowable snacks since I think that was a big part of my frustration & eating off plan last week. I couldn't figure out what had caused me to stall & nothing I tried was moving me off that cursed plateau so I went back to my original eating plan since that had been working to see what would happen. Well F-I-N-A-L-L-L-L-Y! this morning I was down a pound & a half. Which means I've reached another goal and will set my hair appointment at Aveda's for my reward! After these weeks (that seriously felt like months) of not seeing any results from all of my hard work & effort I can't tell you how thrilled I am today. I'm guessing that at times our bodies, or at least my body, just gets hung-up on those plateaus. I hate, hate, hate the cursed, blasted plateaus.

Whooo hoooo hoooo!!! Congratulations on breaking through!!! I'm going to try that coco cloud business. Sounds yummy.

karrieanne 04-06-2010 06:38 PM

Howdy ya'll....I'm a newbie for sure. :)

I was told to check ya'll out so here I am. I am sure this is going to be a bumpy ride for me and I am probably gonna fight it.

But I have already had some victories and I would like some more.

speedyfair 04-06-2010 10:27 PM

Good Evening

It was so great to hear about everyone's holidays- it does make a difference when you can prepare ahead, but all in all it sounds like everyone did well. I understand about planning for little treats- this "diet" is going to take a long time- the rest of my life I hope, eating healthy and making good decisions, but that doesn't mean you cannot have a little treat once in a while. The idea is how to incorporate that into your diet and not sabotage all of the hard work. With parties, I try as others have suggested to take at least one dish that I know I can eat, or a low-cal dessert and the try to pick the best of the other selections. I also usually make that my only meal of the day if I can. If we go out to dinner for Sunday then I skip breakfast and have a low-cal snack later in the evening only and still only average my regular calories for the day. It's about planning for the extra calories.

Hope everyone has a great week.

amylee32 04-07-2010 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by desertmountain (Post 7709)
Playing around with Easter recipes I came up with a 3 calorie 'cookie' that I'm calling Coco Clouds. It's so tasty & easy. Just whip egg whites into stiff peaks (I also used cream of tarter since I didn't use sugar to hold the whites), & then add a small amount of vanilla extract, sweetener and unsweetened cocoa. Pipe or spoon into small cookie shapes and bake in a slow oven for 20 minutes. They're unbelievably good.

I love this idea! I have been craving chocolate soooo much lately. I'm not exactly an experienced baker, so I have a few questions. How many egg whites do you use? How much cream of tarter? And, um, what's a slow oven? I really am ignorant with baking, sorry. :)

I am officially down 18 pounds today. :) :) :) Only 2 more pounds until my 2nd goal. (I am trying to conentrated on goals of 10 lb increments. Not as daunting) I am so thrilled, but feel myself getting burned out on salads. I do ok with dinner, I eat lean meat like chicken and shrimp. But man, lunches are stiting to suck. Any ideas on what I can make that is low-cal and somewhat low-carb? I would appreciate any ideas!!

SkinnyErinn 04-07-2010 04:26 AM

Keep on keeping on

I am approaching the 1 month mark of being on this new eating plan with my doctor. It's hard sometimes - this evening I wasn't feeling very well, and definitely thought a couple of times that it didn't matter how big I got, I should just eat the way I want.... then I thought if I never have anyother slice of cheesecake again, maybe being thin isn't worth it, lol.

Is life worth living without cheesecake, cheeseburgers or ice cream? I'm sure tomorrow I'll be back to my "food nazi" ways... lol. :D I love that by the way, since it was complete disregard and abandon that got me to over 400! Woo hoo... I'll be the food nazi with a "1" in front of her weight... and NOT followed by three zeros. :eek: LOL.

Just give me strength to stay the course for today. :(

SkinnyErinn 04-07-2010 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by amylee32 (Post 7775)
i love this idea! I have been craving chocolate soooo much lately. I'm not exactly an experienced baker, so i have a few questions. How many egg whites do you use? How much cream of tarter? And, um, what's a slow oven? I really am ignorant with baking, sorry. :)

i am officially down 18 pounds today. :) :) :) only 2 more pounds until my 2nd goal. (i am trying to conentrated on goals of 10 lb increments. Not as daunting) i am so thrilled, but feel myself getting burned out on salads. I do ok with dinner, i eat lean meat like chicken and shrimp. But man, lunches are stiting to suck. Any ideas on what i can make that is low-cal and somewhat low-carb? I would appreciate any ideas!!

great job amylee!

pattialbert 04-07-2010 05:28 AM

amylee what ive been doing (following south beach here) is for a change have taken sandwich fixings and put them in lettuce wraps..you can find them in the veggies aisles...some people just use romaine leaves but I like how these hold fillings like a taco. Ive had egg salad,,turkey,,,a 8 grain salad mix..whatever..the latest was a hamburger..I cut a pattie in half, placed it inside the lettuce andthen added some chopped onions, tom, mustard, relish and cheese slice.it tasted just like a cheeseburger and was soooo good!!! Im going to have to make this again soon.

As the warm weather approaches a favourite lunch for me is to just cut up lots of low cal veggies, add some cheese slices, maybe some cottage cheese, or yogurt and some fruit and make my own cold plate.

Salads are soo good...and Ive taken to adding whatever is in my fridge to them...start with your basic ingrediants and then add some dried cranberries, low fat feta cheese and raspberry dressing. If you have some cold meat in your fridge add that....leftover rice...go ahead,,,its amazing what you can come up with.

hope this helps...

almeeker 04-07-2010 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by SkinnyErinn (Post 7777)
I am approaching the 1 month mark of being on this new eating plan with my doctor. It's hard sometimes - this evening I wasn't feeling very well, and definitely thought a couple of times that it didn't matter how big I got, I should just eat the way I want.... then I thought if I never have anyother slice of cheesecake again, maybe being thin isn't worth it, lol.

Is life worth living without cheesecake, cheeseburgers or ice cream? I'm sure tomorrow I'll be back to my "food nazi" ways... lol. :D I love that by the way, since it was complete disregard and abandon that got me to over 400! Woo hoo... I'll be the food nazi with a "1" in front of her weight... and NOT followed by three zeros. :eek: LOL.

Just give me strength to stay the course for today. :(

Oh honey nobody said you can never have cheesecake, ice cream and cheeseburgers again. You can, you just can't eat all of them everyday all day long, especially Cheesecake Factory cheesecake.

I eat cheeseburgers all the time. We cook them at home on the grill (so some of the fat drips off) with very lean beef, then I add an ounce of reduced fat co-jack cheese and then slap the whole thing on a slimwich with lettuce, tomato, ketchup, mustard and pickles (lots of pickles). Slimwiches are whole grain bun-like things, they look like small loaves of pita bread, another maker calls them Slim Buns (which I happen to like the sound of - LOL). My cheeseburgers are about 350-400 calories, where the same thing at a restaurant would be closer to 800.

When I want ice cream I get low-fat, sugar-free frozen yogurt or I make frozen custard with eggs, skim milk and yes a little bit of real sugar and some vanilla. Cheesecake is also something you can make yourself and get the same eating experience without the calorie overload. Just follow a regular recipe, but use the low fat cream cheese (sometimes called Neuchatel), delete 1/2 the sugar and use ground nuts for 1/2 the graham cracker crumbs (you can also throw in a little wheat germ if it makes you happy), and low-fat spread for the butter. Yes, it still has some calories, but generally speaking they are better for you than the traditional recipe. I usually top it with homemade reduced-sugar jam or fresh fruit. It's very satisfying.