FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Fabulous 100 pound club for women... (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/729-fabulous-100-pound-club-women.html)

montanacricket 05-08-2010 02:08 AM

I have a funny story to share this morning. First, I didn't lose anymore today, but we had a higher sodium dinner last night, so it doesn't surprise me much.

We added a huge addition onto our house and finally finished (mostly) the inside last summer and winter. Now it's time for landscaping.

I love to do it all myself and have 2 small patios that I'm working on. I'm using patio blocks from Lowes and when I was in there yesterday to get another load, was offered help about 6 times. I finally said (and this is the funny part), "no, thanks, I'll get it. It's a great workout.".

When I heard those 4 simple words come out of my mouth, I knew--just KNEW--that I've really made a life change. It's a great workout. Who'd of thought? Sure they're heavy blocks, and my back is telling me about it today, but the fact that I turned down an offer of help to move 24 of them onto a cart and then into the back of the truck...that just sort of surprised me.

So there's my latest "first". ;)

SkinnyErinn 05-08-2010 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 10338)
Very very nice. I wish I knew how to do all that stuff! Okay so now that you're blogging you need to add at least one full body photo from today. The only thinner one you have is a head shot, you silly woman! But even in that I can see that you're down to 1 chin, the pretty chin that is. And don't be knocking 2 pounds, it's downward progress, and an accomplishment in and of itself. If you did that every week for a year you would be 104 pounds, and almost to your goal.

You will get the full body pics today, at my son's bday party! I'll post them tonight... thanks for the encouragment, you are such an inspiration, good luck this weekend!

SkinnyErinn 05-08-2010 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by montanacricket (Post 10351)
I have a funny story to share this morning. First, I didn't lose anymore today, but we had a higher sodium dinner last night, so it doesn't surprise me much.

We added a huge addition onto our house and finally finished (mostly) the inside last summer and winter. Now it's time for landscaping.

I love to do it all myself and have 2 small patios that I'm working on. I'm using patio blocks from Lowes and when I was in there yesterday to get another load, was offered help about 6 times. I finally said (and this is the funny part), "no, thanks, I'll get it. It's a great workout.".

When I heard those 4 simple words come out of my mouth, I knew--just KNEW--that I've really made a life change. It's a great workout. Who'd of thought? Sure they're heavy blocks, and my back is telling me about it today, but the fact that I turned down an offer of help to move 24 of them onto a cart and then into the back of the truck...that just sort of surprised me.

So there's my latest "first". ;)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Sometimes I really think that changing our bodies is the easy part.... changing our minds is something quite different. Whenever I hurt after that good workout (um, everyday that is... :() I just remember that pain is weakness leaving the body, and your body building the muscle to replace it. Great job on CHANGING YOUR MIND!

almeeker 05-08-2010 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by traceymc1985 (Post 10345)
Hi everyone i also just wanted to add how great every single member is on fitday! I too have some people around me who i feel just dont like me losing weight and i reckon theyd do anything to get me to put back on the 3stone ive lost rather than lose the 2 and a half i want to. Id like to add its a couple of the overweight ones and if im honest i sense it from my own mother who is not fat!! Why is it that people look at my figure when they think i dont notice?? It makes me feel really uncomfortable and all i wanna do is cover myself up so they got nothing to see. Jealousy and comments like skinny whatever and i hate you (in a laughing way) can really make me feel bad for not staying fatter then them. You see now im actually a good 2stone lighter than most of them- it feels like they want a competition while ive just got on with it and not made a big deal. Why cant people just be happy for me instead of scrutinising me everytime they see me. Yeah id be quite jealous if i had a friend losing weight and i remained overweight but id blame myself for eating badly to remain that way and be inspired to do well like them.
Sorry for going on but i just get so annoyed by them! Thankyou Fitday

I had a serious heart to heart with one of my chubbiest chums. Not about her needing to go on a diet, but why I was doing it, and why I wasn't content to live in a land of denial any longer. It took her some time, but now she's also dieting and had the shear bravery to come right out and say to me that I've inspired her to do it too. That was a good day, but we had some difficult moments before that. Someone else on this forum said to me, that some people resist change on general principal because change is scary. I've had trouble with one of my children over this, she's a saboteur, she's only 6 but one to continually put bites of chocolate into my mouth. That was a tough heart to heart as well, but I'm glad she and I had it.

cc1158 05-09-2010 03:29 AM

Up 2 lbs

:eek:
Really felt control slipping the last couple of days, have eaten around 2000 calories a day and up 2 lbs. Had reached the 30 lb mark and went crazy I guess.
Have to really get focused again, for me it's so much a mind thing. Reading about how everyone is doing here really helps to get focused and see that it is possible.

egmdobbs 05-09-2010 04:21 AM

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there!

SkinnyErinn - Congrats on losing another 2 lbs! I'll have to check out your blog!

Speedyfair - Great resolve at work with the Mexican food. I feel so empowered by your realization about what you used to eat. Hopefully I'll get to the point that a McDonald's cheeseburger looks disgusting to me!

Montana - You know you've come a long way when you start making work and even sometimes play into a workout - kudos!

Tracey - I know what you mean about people making you feel bad for getting skinnier. When I was really thin and running 1/2 marathons about 3 years ago, my mom would always have a way of making me feel guilty for being thin. Now the shoe's on the other foot because she started her weight loss journey and I had a baby, lost my job, and used food for comfort and lost everything I had worked so hard for. Now that she's the skinny one, I'm trying really hard not to do the same thing to her, but sometimes it's hard to keep the jealousy in check.

CC1158 - I know it's hard to see those 2 pounds on the scale, but it's most likely just some water retention. I bet if you get back on the horse, they will come right off again. Don't give up!

As for me, I've had kind of a rough weekend. My husband brought home ice cream last night (and my favorite too - peanut butter and chocolate!) and I got kind of mad at him for sabotaging my efforts, but of course I had some anyway! Ugh - I just can't resist! Then today I am saving all my calories because we are having lunch at my mother-in-law's and she never fixes anything healthy. I think the menu is barbeque chicken, potato salad, cole slaw, chips, and pie - yikes! But I did step on the scale this morning and I'd lost another 2 pounds since Wednesday, so that is motivation enough to watch my portions and skip dessert!

pattialbert 05-09-2010 08:00 AM

Happy Mothers Day....
Erin I checked out your blog...you are a beautiful woman!! Thanks for sharing your journey with us.. looking forward to reading more.
Egm,, next time your dh brings home ice cream maybe he can bring you home some frozen yogurt? something low fat..then you dont feel like you are missing out on anything. (but I hear you on the choc and pb..my favourite too and I wouldnt be able to reisist)
Cc I am also trying to stay focussed...my birthday is coming up and I dont want to set a goal, I get disappointed if I dont make it, but I do want to be in a newer decade .( and yes I realize thats a goal but not a specific weight)
Almeeker I remember you having trouble with your little dd... Im glad you had a heart to heart with her. Kids are more competant then we realize.
Montana look at you go!!! I bet those salespeople were watching you in AWE!!
Tracey I think that is just human nature...jealousy. The best thing you can do is keep going and just show them!!
Speedy that is a great NSV (non scale victory) I have never celebrated Cinco de Mayo...and not sure what its celebrated for?
The last two weeks I have been off my exercising...been doing more floor exercises but the walking has been lacking. Still going but not as many days as I would have liked. My own fault and not making excuses but I can feel it in my body..and I dont like that feeling. Back at it this week.
Dh is out of town for two weeks..feeling a little lonely and he just left. I dont want to turn to food. I did yesterday but not today..made some healthy choices. Another problem for me...and you know Im an overeater when you do this...I know hes not around so I feel like I can eat and not *sneak* food. I havnt done this in a long time.........but...........there can be times when I will eat something when I know hes not around. No he is not controlling....in fact he dosnt care what I eat..and is very supportive of me...its in my mind. Its like if he dosnt see me eating this...Im not really eating it..or it dosnt count. Such mind games. I truly believe this goes back to when I was growing up and sneaking junk food. Sorry to go on ... I just need to read this and remember I will not cheat!!!
I can do this!

have a great day everyone....waving hi to everyone passing thru!!

Im having major problems posting again....going to start a new thread

traceymc1985 05-09-2010 08:32 AM

Hello Egm and Patti-your posts are great,full of really good advice for everyone! Egm--I agree with the frozen yoghurt instead of ice-cream,i love icecream and nowthe nice weather is showing here in dull England its hard to resist. Theres a van outside kids school everyday but the queue is a mile long so that puts me off and ive no room to freeze it-thats if it makes it that far!!!! I usually just get some ice lollies instead-not the same but at least its cold eh? Anyway enough of icecream my mouth is watering. Good luck at mum in laws-be strong and think of them pounds you got off this week!
Patti--Me too is a secret eater-its been in alot of my posts past couple of days,ive advised myself not to be downstairs so i come to my bedroom now once cleaned up and everything is organised. That way im not tempted as i wont go down just to eat! I also over-eat at mealtimes cos i like to be full,once i start i cant stop. Ive started to base 4 out of 7 meals entirely on veg then i can eat as much as i like. I always have lots of veg or salad with any meal,i prefer my plate to look full! If i overeat i just do it on the good stuff that way my appetite is happy and the scales still go down!

speedyfair 05-09-2010 09:58 AM

good weekend

had some significant stress in my life this weekend and didn't eat at all Sat - but today felt better and went to a brunch with my Mom. Had a big salad and tried to eat mostly the proteins chicken & roast beef and stayed away from the potatoes and bread. Also had a waffle bar, but I resisted. except now I'm hungry so I came here to read & post lol

egmdobbs- good luck on you Mom's day dinner as well, it's sometimes hard to incorporate holidays & such into your regular plan, but I'm sure you'll do fine.

montanacricket- here's to many more "firsts"

to those of you discussing change and people's level of support. I totally agree if they have never experienced the emotional reasons behind the weight it is hard for them to relate. this is not only about changing the body, but changing the mind. I used to eat treats in secret too, would almost go all day without eating anything bad and then go crazy at home alone. never tried to eat junk food in public.

here's to the start of another healthy week - keep positive

christineval 05-09-2010 11:52 PM

Hey all,

You guys are all doing so well! I can not wait until I can say that I am losing weight as well. I have no idea what is going on since I have never in my life worked out 5 days a week minimum for min 45 minutes each day and yet I have still not lost any weight!. I am more carefull with what I am eatting and feel that jsut the big improvement of working out 5 days a week should show something since it has been since the end of February!

I am trying not to get to down and I know the wrong thing to do would be to give up but it is very frustrating since I am 250 and want to get to 140 and do not see anything happening lol.

I need nelp please anyone lol sorry to be so negative.

traceymc1985 05-10-2010 12:11 AM

Hiya christineval Firstly i just want to say dont apologise if you are feeling negative-everybody has them times. I understand it must be frustrating for you not to see a change in weight but have you taken your measurements as you will probably noticed you have lost inches even if not pounds. Also everyones metabolism is different and i usually notice that it can take time to see results after exercise but it did catch up and id get a significant loss a little time after. Dont let it affect your willpower and determination. Keep going and the changes will happen. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

christineval 05-10-2010 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by traceymc1985 (Post 10464)
Hiya christineval Firstly i just want to say dont apologise if you are feeling negative-everybody has them times. I understand it must be frustrating for you not to see a change in weight but have you taken your measurements as you will probably noticed you have lost inches even if not pounds. Also everyones metabolism is different and i usually notice that it can take time to see results after exercise but it did catch up and id get a significant loss a little time after. Dont let it affect your willpower and determination. Keep going and the changes will happen. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Hi

Thanks for your response. The sad thing is that I did take my measurements and I have only lost 1 inch since 1 year ago. That is what started my frustration lol. I keep hoping that it will just take time and then catch up with weight loss since my metabolism is probably shot. I have done all kinds of diets including bernstein.

I dont understand it since it is not like i am sitting eatting junk food all day so why is nothing happening? anyway hears to hoping

montanacricket 05-10-2010 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 10366)
I had a serious heart to heart with one of my chubbiest chums. Not about her needing to go on a diet, but why I was doing it, and why I wasn't content to live in a land of denial any longer. It took her some time, but now she's also dieting and had the shear bravery to come right out and say to me that I've inspired her to do it too. That was a good day, but we had some difficult moments before that. Someone else on this forum said to me, that some people resist change on general principal because change is scary. I've had trouble with one of my children over this, she's a saboteur, she's only 6 but one to continually put bites of chocolate into my mouth. That was a tough heart to heart as well, but I'm glad she and I had it.

For me, the idea of trying again and probably/possibly/maybe failing again is what kept me from diving in for so long. The fear of starting the change, my friends, family and co-workers eventually finding out about it and then if I stopped, it would be just another failure to add to the list.

3butterfly21 05-11-2010 11:39 AM

Hi everyone,
I'm new here. Can anyone join this thread? My name is Colleen and I weigh 267. I would like to lose 140pounds. Its a big goal but I think I can do it. I was reading some of the posts on here and I just wanted to comment on one: amylee32 I read your post about saggy skin. I am terrified of it too. But I wanted to let you know that I read a magazine article about a woman who lost over 300 pounds and only had a little saggy skin. The main tips it gave to try to avoid this problem was lots of fruits and veggies, doing yoga, moisturize your skin at least once a day, drink lots of water, and dry skin brushing helps to firm skin and get rid of toxins. Good luck
Colleen

amylee32 05-11-2010 04:31 PM

Hey Colleen, thanks for the tips! I will definately try them. I have also started the 30 Day Shred DVD...Jillian Michaels is not very nice, haha. I worry a lot about it still, but I guess if I have saggy skin and am healthy I will live with it. :) Good luck with your goal, you can do it! If you need support and encouragement, this is the place to be. These amazing girls have helped me so much in the last 7 weeks...I know I couldn't have done it without them.

I am officially down 43 pounds and so excited! I bought a pair of capris a few weeks ago that were 2 sizes down. (Still a 26, but hey, still smaller!) I was unable to wear the capris until this weekend because Mother Nature decided to dump some wonderfully frigid weather on us again. Anyway, I got to wear them Sunday and they are LOOSE! It was a Mother's Day miracle! :D

My first "big goal" was 50 pounds...I am almost there. I have been doing this for 7 weeks and honestly can't imagine my life before I started getting healthy. I have so much more energy, so much more positive energy! It really is amazing. I know I still have a lonnnnnnggggg way to go, but I am concentrating on my first big victory for now.

Thanks ladies...you guys truly are amazing.

SkinnyErinn 05-11-2010 04:50 PM

Crap crap crap... showing my face here after a stupid injury that has stalled my workouts... I missed bootcamp this week...

Basically I tore a three inch hole in my left bicep... le grrr!!! I've been doing rest, ice, compression, elevation and anti-inflammatories.... and all I can think of is 268... my current weight.

Last night I got tired of feeling sorry for myself so I did 2 hours of cardio... just to prove to myself that I could do it. Bringing my calories back down to 1000, just until tomorrow when I am going to begin working the arm again using 3 pound weights. Yesterday I JOGGED 2 miles and cycled 18 miles... gotta keep on keeping on. You women are my lifeline when I am out on my own. I can not express how much I appreciate all of you. Have fantastic weeks, I am going back to read on how you all are doing.

SkinnyErinn 05-11-2010 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by christineval (Post 10467)
Hi

Thanks for your response. The sad thing is that I did take my measurements and I have only lost 1 inch since 1 year ago. That is what started my frustration lol. I keep hoping that it will just take time and then catch up with weight loss since my metabolism is probably shot. I have done all kinds of diets including bernstein.

I dont understand it since it is not like i am sitting eatting junk food all day so why is nothing happening? anyway hears to hoping

I don't want you to ever give up, please. I am willing to take a close look at your food and workouts if you want... if you are not losing and are really being open with yourself about what you are doing... then I would contact your doctor about some testing. That unfortunately doesn't get you off the hook to lose weight, you just have to overcome another hurdle. But, I am willing to give you all the information I can... gotta look at the entire picture. Let me know if there is anything you need. I just can't stand the idea of anyone giving up. We are all here for eachother. :)

christineval 05-11-2010 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by SkinnyErinn (Post 10622)
Crap crap crap... showing my face here after a stupid injury that has stalled my workouts... I missed bootcamp this week...

Basically I tore a three inch hole in my left bicep... le grrr!!! I've been doing rest, ice, compression, elevation and anti-inflammatories.... and all I can think of is 268... my current weight.

Last night I got tired of feeling sorry for myself so I did 2 hours of cardio... just to prove to myself that I could do it. Bringing my calories back down to 1000, just until tomorrow when I am going to begin working the arm again using 3 pound weights. Yesterday I JOGGED 2 miles and cycled 18 miles... gotta keep on keeping on. You women are my lifeline when I am out on my own. I can not express how much I appreciate all of you. Have fantastic weeks, I am going back to read on how you all are doing.

You are so amazing lol. I wish I was like you but I find every excuse I can think of lol. I want to start working out at night as well since I work out everyday at lunch. I need to do more I think because I am not seeing any change and it has been 2 months

christineval 05-11-2010 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by SkinnyErinn (Post 10624)
I don't want you to ever give up, please. I am willing to take a close look at your food and workouts if you want... if you are not losing and are really being open with yourself about what you are doing... then I would contact your doctor about some testing. That unfortunately doesn't get you off the hook to lose weight, you just have to overcome another hurdle. But, I am willing to give you all the information I can... gotta look at the entire picture. Let me know if there is anything you need. I just can't stand the idea of anyone giving up. We are all here for eachother. :)

What do you do when you get chocolate cravings? I have a bad sweet totth and I cant stop eatting it until they are done or gone. I have a husband and 2 kids so not having it in the house at all is not going to happen but it is usually only in the house on weekend if we are entertaining or going to someone elses home.

I eat pretty good otherwise. I always say that I do not think Jillian would be able to throw out to much in my fridge or cupboards lol.

I think the big part of the problem is portions! It sucks when I think I am probably fat because of eatting too much of good food lol.

SkinnyErinn 05-12-2010 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by christineval (Post 10631)
What do you do when you get chocolate cravings? I have a bad sweet totth and I cant stop eatting it until they are done or gone. I have a husband and 2 kids so not having it in the house at all is not going to happen but it is usually only in the house on weekend if we are entertaining or going to someone elses home.

I eat pretty good otherwise. I always say that I do not think Jillian would be able to throw out to much in my fridge or cupboards lol.

I think the big part of the problem is portions! It sucks when I think I am probably fat because of eatting too much of good food lol.

First, purchase a foodscale. That REALLY helped me recognize my portion issues. Then, when I journal my food here I know exactly how much I've eaten and my calories are more accurate. I can see the HUGE difference in calories between 4 ounces and 8 ounces, which keeps me from having seconds, ever.

Now, I am probably going to have an unpopular answer here regarding the chocolate. I have IMMENSE food issues (it's how I got above 400!), so FOR ME, I know I can NEVER give in. I have NEVER cheated. If I have pizza, I just eat the topping and I am done. My kids and SO have lots of crap in the house - my daughter RIGHT NOW has some white chocolate Easter eggs with a solid milk chocolate chick in them from Sees. I know they are there, and they will remain there because the 269 on my weight is going to be the LAST time I see it. Cookies, soda, crackers, pasta (a HUGE weakness for me), chocolate... all living in my cupboards right now. I know FOR ME that I need to treat my food issues like an allergy or an addiction. I am allergic to sugar - my body processes it right to fat. I have an addiction to carbs, I don't know when to stop eating them, always crave them and my life most definitely was out of control while I was eating them.
If I cheat, I am unlocking the cages of these demons and inviting them out into the arena to battle them again. No thank you! I have driven them into their dark cages and they will remain there until I can tame them and train them. If I eat one of those eggs in my daughter's room, I will eat the other 6. If I eat the 6 tonight, I will get a candy bar tomorrow when I fill up my car. If I get a candy bar tomorrow morning, I will pick up some ice cream for dinner. If I have ice cream after dinner, a bowl will come to bed with me. ADDICTION! So, I stay steel willed, and so can YOU! Just think about where you are heading, go take a shower or read a book. Get your mind off it. And, more than a few times I had to be the bitch and tell my SO to PLEASE stop smacking McDonald's sausage McMuffins in my face. Good luck, I hope I helped. I know others on here believe in the "cheating" makes it better rule... that works for them. I would listen to their perspectives too and decide what feels right and manageable for YOU.

christineval 05-13-2010 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by SkinnyErinn (Post 10716)
First, purchase a foodscale. That REALLY helped me recognize my portion issues. Then, when I journal my food here I know exactly how much I've eaten and my calories are more accurate. I can see the HUGE difference in calories between 4 ounces and 8 ounces, which keeps me from having seconds, ever.

Now, I am probably going to have an unpopular answer here regarding the chocolate. I have IMMENSE food issues (it's how I got above 400!), so FOR ME, I know I can NEVER give in. I have NEVER cheated. If I have pizza, I just eat the topping and I am done. My kids and SO have lots of crap in the house - my daughter RIGHT NOW has some white chocolate Easter eggs with a solid milk chocolate chick in them from Sees. I know they are there, and they will remain there because the 269 on my weight is going to be the LAST time I see it. Cookies, soda, crackers, pasta (a HUGE weakness for me), chocolate... all living in my cupboards right now. I know FOR ME that I need to treat my food issues like an allergy or an addiction. I am allergic to sugar - my body processes it right to fat. I have an addiction to carbs, I don't know when to stop eating them, always crave them and my life most definitely was out of control while I was eating them.
If I cheat, I am unlocking the cages of these demons and inviting them out into the arena to battle them again. No thank you! I have driven them into their dark cages and they will remain there until I can tame them and train them. If I eat one of those eggs in my daughter's room, I will eat the other 6. If I eat the 6 tonight, I will get a candy bar tomorrow when I fill up my car. If I get a candy bar tomorrow morning, I will pick up some ice cream for dinner. If I have ice cream after dinner, a bowl will come to bed with me. ADDICTION! So, I stay steel willed, and so can YOU! Just think about where you are heading, go take a shower or read a book. Get your mind off it. And, more than a few times I had to be the bitch and tell my SO to PLEASE stop smacking McDonald's sausage McMuffins in my face. Good luck, I hope I helped. I know others on here believe in the "cheating" makes it better rule... that works for them. I would listen to their perspectives too and decide what feels right and manageable for YOU.

Yes I think I might have to be that way as well. I can not just have 1 so maybe I am the same for sure! I feel like a kid because I will even hide it and hope no one catches me lol.

It is like I am sabotaging myself because I am not even hungry, I just keep eatting because I like it. Then I hate myself for doing that because I will get bigger. I am so afraid of getting bigger because I have M.S. and right now it is fine but my fear is one day it will not be and my husband can not lift me and god forbid he ever have to bath me OMG! I would rather die so that is why but you would think that should be motivation enough right...... nope!

almeeker 05-13-2010 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by christineval (Post 10631)

I have exactly the same problem, too much of a good thing!!! I'm going to second the food scale. I LOVE mine, got it at Wal-Mart for less than $20. I do a lot of canning also and it helps me figure out recipes for that as well. It also goes down low enough to calculate postage, so it's it's a very useful little thing and it doesn't even take up much room, maybe a spot 5" x 5". I think I've had it close to a year and have never even had to change the battery.

As for snacky foods in the house, I've changed my whole family over to diet food. Hilarious but true, there was a little resistance at first, but kids are pretty adaptable and DH has a heart condition (so when he complains I just give him the "look" and he shuts right up). Kids lunches must contain, 1 serving whole grain, 1 serving veggies, 1 serving fresh fruit. The only snacky foods I buy are low-fat and low-cal. What's good for the goose is good for the whole flock - seriously think about it. If you had been raised in a house with healthy snacks, healthy meals and healthy eating habits, would you be overweight now?

As for chocolate, I put 1/2 a scoop of chocolate protein powder in my morning coffee with a splash of skim milk, and call it my morning muscle mocha. If your not into coffee, it's pretty good with just the skim milk. There are also 60 calorie fudgesicles, sugar-free pudding cups and some folks on this forum actually plan their menu around a square or two of chocolate. When I'm having a really craving chocolate day, I will split a chocolate bar with the kids. I have 3-6 kids here at any given time, so I never get the whole thing. 1/4 of a Hershey bar is about 60 calories, none of them are good for you, but 60 calories isn't a flying leap off the diet wagon. So instead of deprivation, plan for a little daily chocolate to help keep you on track.

I don't completely disagree with SkinnyErinn on staying away from foods that are serious weaknesses for you, at least for the time being. I stayed away completely for the first 2-3 months I was doing this, until I felt I had gained a measure of control over my food addictions. My goal is not just to lose weight, my goal is to find a way for me to be at a healthy weight for life. I knew going into this that if I denied myself for all time, that I would never be able to stick with it beyond a certain point. So part of my journey has also been to learn how to control myself over those trigger foods. At this point I usually only eat chocolate foods that I didn't eat before, so it's sugar-free pudding instead of candy bars, and protein powder rather than snack cakes. That way I get my chocolate fix in a controlled fashion that doesn't usually trigger a binge. I also have tried to eat my chocolate while simultaneously drinking a huge bottle of water. In hopes of filling myself up and pairing a bad habit with a good one.

montanacricket 05-13-2010 02:22 AM

I am a chocoholic...but I can limit it to a small amount of really good chocolate. I buy ChocoLove bars and eat 1/6th of a bar when I really feel the need. However I do know that if I'm suffering from PMS, that I could easily overdo and eat the whole bar of chocolate too. Learning what sets me off has been really important, and someone on here said that the same chemical that your brain puts out when you eat comfort food is what your brain puts out after exercise and that is something I try to keep in mind.

I can't and WON'T use fake sweeteners. I can taste them, no matter what anyone says. I had a great healthy choice frozen fudge bar a few years ago, but after a couple of bites was like "hmph, aftertaste, yuk, what's in this?" and sure enough it was sweetened with splenda or aspartame, don't remember which. Aside from the aspartame addiction that dh had and kicked finally, I've just read too much about how the FDA only approved aspartame for chewing gum, not the quantities that the general public consumes it in.

I will "third" the kitchen scale. And measuring cups! Any tool that you can use, especially at first when you're trying to really watch portion control is really valuable.

pattialbert 05-13-2010 02:50 AM

Hi ladies..sorry to confuse everyone but there is a new May thread started for us....see you over there!!!! this one is getting too many pages and hard to load

almeeker 05-13-2010 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by montanacricket (Post 10740)
I am a chocoholic...but I can limit it to a small amount of really good chocolate. I buy ChocoLove bars and eat 1/6th of a bar when I really feel the need. However I do know that if I'm suffering from PMS, that I could easily overdo and eat the whole bar of chocolate too. Learning what sets me off has been really important, and someone on here said that the same chemical that your brain puts out when you eat comfort food is what your brain puts out after exercise and that is something I try to keep in mind.

75% ChocoLove yummmm, now that is a little slice of heaven right there. I don't think I could trust myself with one of those yet.

montanacricket 05-13-2010 03:20 AM

:) I know, and some days I can't be trusted with them either...but if I take it out of my file drawer, break off 1/6th of it, record it before I eat it in fitday and then nibble on it for 20 minutes (along with a huge glass of water like you do) I can stave off the cravings...I like the chocolate with cherries and almonds (55%), ginger crystallized in dark chocolate (65%), orange peel in dark chocolate (55%) and of course the standard 73% one.

desertmountain 05-13-2010 03:25 AM

Good morning ladies,
Well you guys simply rock!! I just finished reading all the posts & am SO impressed! :D Congrats to all of you on such good work. WTG!
VaVaVoom SkinnyErin! Love your blog!
Almeeker:

10/25/10 (the 14th anniversary of my 28th birthday)
ROTFLMAO almeeker! Not your goal, I know you'll attain your goal - it's the anniversary of your 28th-you crack me up girl. Congrats on doing excellent! Hey-how's your garden coming along? I've FINALLY recovered from the records lows & gotten back on track with new plants in the ground.

Dh & I started P90 on our anniversary (our 38th!) so as a gift to each other we keep each other on track since both of us are couch taters by night & computer jockies by day & slugs by nature. Since I had sustained major injuries last time I tried to do P90, this time I'm being verrrrrrrry careful. The good news is with the heavy workout I have to eat more calories to maintain my metabolism (up to 1500 from 1200)...the bad news is that the additional 300 calories are mostly lean protein and not cupcakes. :rolleyes: Like last time, I'm gaining muscle so there's been a temporary weight gain, but inches are being lost in places and gained in others where the muscles are being used the most. So I'm not freaking out like I did last time the scales moved in the wrong direction, I know that soon my body will level out & I'll lose again. I'm quite a bit lighter than the last time, BMI is about 20% less, so it's not as painful as it was the last time either.

Originally Posted by christineval (Post 10462)
Hey all,

You guys are all doing so well! I can not wait until I can say that I am losing weight as well. I have no idea what is going on since I have never in my life worked out 5 days a week minimum for min 45 minutes each day and yet I have still not lost any weight!. I am more carefull with what I am eatting and feel that jsut the big improvement of working out 5 days a week should show something since it has been since the end of February!

I am trying not to get to down and I know the wrong thing to do would be to give up but it is very frustrating since I am 250 and want to get to 140 and do not see anything happening lol.

I need nelp please anyone lol sorry to be so negative.

Hey, (hug) I have been EXACTLY where you're at & as hard as I worked no one else but me believed me. Even my doc thought that I wasn't being truthful. I wanted to strangle her scrawny little neck! What I found was a unique inner strength & it built my self esteem. The other thing I found out was that my body will not lose weight if I eat certain foods. I stalled and even gained weight eating grains & starchy food on a 1200 cal a day plus an hour a day workout plan. It was evil. Very evil.
Try this: avoid a certain food while maintaining a good pro-carb-fat ratio and stay in your same calorie range. Keep everything the same except adjust the types of foods for 1 to 2 weeks at a time. Try staying away from grain (rice, wheat, rye, barley, etc - including all things made with them, pasta, flour, breadings, all breads, etc) for 7 to 14 days and see if the scale moves. If no change then try eliminating another type of food. Since this discovery I've met others who have the same problem so here's a list of some of the other foods people said kept them from losing weight: nuts, dairy, red meat, grains, starchy food (potatoes, etc) sugar, sugar substitutes, fruits that are high on the glycemic index. There are probably more. It's weird, but maybe our bodies are just overly sensitive to one or more of these things. When I eat grains it's water weight gain if I just have a little of them since 3 days after I've eaten it the weight usually goes away, but I don't lose any actual weight for a while afterward - I'm totally stalled at that weight for a week or so, if I eat too much of it I will gain weight & it doesn't come off as if it's water. So maybe it's food allergies or food sensitivities or maybe just a curse. ;) that some of us have. But anyways, do try it, it might just be the ticket for you, too.
Also I agree, be sure to measure yourself at least 1X a month. Last month I lost 4 inches in my hips and since I average 1 pound a week I must have lost all the weight on my hips (none of the other measurements changed. I mean our bodies are weird sometimes.) Instead of feeling that same frustration over working so hard and having so little gain (or loss rather) I was over the moon happy with the results. Keep your head up and shoulders back - you're learning what your body needs & what things work & don't work for you. It's a process, so hang tight, you can do it!

Sandy's50 05-15-2010 04:08 AM

Good morning everyone..this is my first time in here...I just joined fitday a few days ago so I am slowly beginning to get my way around the forums. I have the next week off from work for Vacation time..but not going anywheres..just gonna relax here at home ( yeah right )..lol. ! Anyways..I am turning 50 yrs old on the 16th (tomorrow) eeep! I have decided its time to look after " me " more!

I have a lot of weight to lose...but I have to make shorter goals as little steps towards the overall..so as to not become overwhelmed or throw in the towel out of frustrations. On another note..I am fairly comfortable with being a larger woman..I do not want to get skinny..I want to get healthy and shed off some extra's that I just really dont need to be packing around on me anymore. So right now..although I could deffinately lose 100 lbs...I have started with trying to get 30 lbs off first. I am currently at 22 lbs down. I AM HAPPY TO BE HERE !

Has anyone heard of Michael Thurman's 6 Week Body Makeover? Thats what I am trying to go by...its made a lot of perfect sense to me...its gonna take me more than 6 weeks:p ..but the concept is what is jazzing me up !

Good luck to everyone here on your journeys and goals...hope to hear from ladies here !! :D

Hugs around the room !!
Sandy

almeeker 05-15-2010 04:25 AM

Hi Sandy, glad you can join us. There is a new 100+ thread called "marvelous May", check for us there. Sounds like you're off to a great start!

christineval 05-16-2010 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by desertmountain (Post 10756)
Good morning ladies,
Well you guys simply rock!! I just finished reading all the posts & am SO impressed! :D Congrats to all of you on such good work. WTG!
VaVaVoom SkinnyErin! Love your blog!
Almeeker: ROTFLMAO almeeker! Not your goal, I know you'll attain your goal - it's the anniversary of your 28th-you crack me up girl. Congrats on doing excellent! Hey-how's your garden coming along? I've FINALLY recovered from the records lows & gotten back on track with new plants in the ground.

Dh & I started P90 on our anniversary (our 38th!) so as a gift to each other we keep each other on track since both of us are couch taters by night & computer jockies by day & slugs by nature. Since I had sustained major injuries last time I tried to do P90, this time I'm being verrrrrrrry careful. The good news is with the heavy workout I have to eat more calories to maintain my metabolism (up to 1500 from 1200)...the bad news is that the additional 300 calories are mostly lean protein and not cupcakes. :rolleyes: Like last time, I'm gaining muscle so there's been a temporary weight gain, but inches are being lost in places and gained in others where the muscles are being used the most. So I'm not freaking out like I did last time the scales moved in the wrong direction, I know that soon my body will level out & I'll lose again. I'm quite a bit lighter than the last time, BMI is about 20% less, so it's not as painful as it was the last time either.

Hey, (hug) I have been EXACTLY where you're at & as hard as I worked no one else but me believed me. Even my doc thought that I wasn't being truthful. I wanted to strangle her scrawny little neck! What I found was a unique inner strength & it built my self esteem. The other thing I found out was that my body will not lose weight if I eat certain foods. I stalled and even gained weight eating grains & starchy food on a 1200 cal a day plus an hour a day workout plan. It was evil. Very evil.
Try this: avoid a certain food while maintaining a good pro-carb-fat ratio and stay in your same calorie range. Keep everything the same except adjust the types of foods for 1 to 2 weeks at a time. Try staying away from grain (rice, wheat, rye, barley, etc - including all things made with them, pasta, flour, breadings, all breads, etc) for 7 to 14 days and see if the scale moves. If no change then try eliminating another type of food. Since this discovery I've met others who have the same problem so here's a list of some of the other foods people said kept them from losing weight: nuts, dairy, red meat, grains, starchy food (potatoes, etc) sugar, sugar substitutes, fruits that are high on the glycemic index. There are probably more. It's weird, but maybe our bodies are just overly sensitive to one or more of these things. When I eat grains it's water weight gain if I just have a little of them since 3 days after I've eaten it the weight usually goes away, but I don't lose any actual weight for a while afterward - I'm totally stalled at that weight for a week or so, if I eat too much of it I will gain weight & it doesn't come off as if it's water. So maybe it's food allergies or food sensitivities or maybe just a curse. ;) that some of us have. But anyways, do try it, it might just be the ticket for you, too.
Also I agree, be sure to measure yourself at least 1X a month. Last month I lost 4 inches in my hips and since I average 1 pound a week I must have lost all the weight on my hips (none of the other measurements changed. I mean our bodies are weird sometimes.) Instead of feeling that same frustration over working so hard and having so little gain (or loss rather) I was over the moon happy with the results. Keep your head up and shoulders back - you're learning what your body needs & what things work & don't work for you. It's a process, so hang tight, you can do it!

Thanks a bunch. I will try to weigh everything even though that is a pain lol

christineval 05-16-2010 11:51 PM

P90x

Hey

I lost 6 pounds when I weighted in at weright watchers on Friday!:)

My Husband and I just bought P90X and are going to start it tonight. So I am hoping that with my workingout everyday at lunch and doing P90X at night with my husband I will end up a Flousy soon lol.

Anyone else do P90X with their spouse? Or even alone and have advise?